Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Units mod - heights and Roman Reskin

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Default Re: Realistic Units mod - heights and more

Prom I gave you sources about the average heights in general and that of the Roman army (check the links) . If you are trying to be historically accurate (I think that's your point isn't it?) you should just make Greeks and Romans the same (under the group Mediterrenean). Anthonius also pointed out that even among the Greeks who Adamantius an ancient physician calls moderate tall ,Macedonians and I ll quote Xenophon, Spartans were even taller than the mean Greek height.Joining the ranks of Greek armies also had height prerequisites as you might know.
    It is also utterly unfair to base the mean Greek height on Pompey low class citizens whose origins it is impossible to know and furthermore they were not by any means indicative of ancient Greek soldiers.

I am trying to give you some historical credentials to your otherwise splendid job.It is your call.
    Last edited by neoptolemos; September 12, 2013 at 06:10 AM.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

If you are trying to be historically accurate (I think that's your point isn't it?) you should just make Greeks and Romans the same (under the group Mediterrenean).
    I'd also like to see this
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

As said I Did use historical data, but I can change the greeks according to the regiona provienence , and the different areas , like egypt , seleucids, macedon (wich according to my translation means high landers ) etc ...
    Last edited by PROMETHEUS ts; September 12, 2013 at 07:20 AM.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

KR153's Avatar Semisalis

Nice one, thanks! Question: When you can make them huge as on that screenshot, can you also slow them down so they move like giants would? Would be interesting for future total conversion mods... like cyclops.
    NIE WEDDER SLAAV VUN ROM!

I think you can .

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

Kind of wish I never looked at this mod because I never noticed how unrealistic is was before, and now I undoubtable will.

I'm interested how we know exactly how high different nations were.

one thing i'd like to say tho is that dwarves and giants are not exclusive to fantasy its just a matter of going far enough back in history to when there really were actual sub species of human, interacting and interbreeding such as neanderthals, denisovans, modern humans, floresiensis.

Apart the heights , ( the legio Italica was made of all 1.80 tall Italic men btw ) ...

I noticed how all the Roman units arenot precise and mostly seem to have been arranged or done a fast work .

For example Praetorians are totally wrong , The Centurion is missing , No corniceans , The Generals have all Old, very Old remixes of weaponry and do not look like actual Roman Generals, Tribune, legatus also shoudl get a ddifferent armors etc ...

I will try to correct that as well truning this mod further on with a Realism oriented armor reform .

because despite marian and premarian are prety accurate most of the rest is not and seemed to had been rushed at the end of release time missing important details or completely forgetting about .

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    Apart the heights , ( the legio Italica was made of all 1.80 tall Italic men btw ) ...

I noticed how all the Roman units arenot precise and mostly seem to have been arranged or done a fast work .

For example Praetorians are totally wrong , The Centurion is missing , No corniceans , The Generals have all Old, very Old remixes of weaponry and do not look like actual Roman Generals, Tribune, legatus also shoudl get a ddifferent armors etc ...

I will try to correct that as well truning this mod further on with a Realism oriented armor reform .

because despite marian and premarian are prety accurate most of the rest is not and seemed to had been rushed at the end of release time missing important details or completely forgetting about .
    Prometheus, that would be awesome! Romans (as tons of others) are indeed poorly designed with many historical mistakes. If I can suggest a few things:
    - Proper outfit for legatus, of course, but you can also try to add to his "guards" 6 tribunes (it would be a nice touch with these "guards" representing in fact in Roman case a legatus and his staff)
    - Proper principales for a centuria/manipule - centurion, signifer, cornicen (skip optio etc.) - if it's possible at all to add them
    - Unmask signifers - now they're wearing cavalry helmets with masks... It's unfortunately widespread modern misconception with no historical background (except one unclear gravestone and Junkelmann's weak hypothesis)
    - When adding crests to centurions helmets for Early Empire and later period remember, that they should look like made of birds' feathers, not horse hair. For this period all known images show exactly this - feathers
    - Add much more variety to legionaries armour, helmets - hamata/squamata/segmentata, iron/brass galeas ect. Not they look unhistorically uniformed

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Great addition Prom (changes noted) , thanks for being open to suggestions mate
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Thank you ! Strangely that was really annoying.
    It seems to me that Italic tribes were not so different than other Indo-european people across Europe, so maybe CA didn't have the time to do the proper research? I hope this will be changed later by popular demand.
    Does it work in multi-player since it's only cosmetic ? Were Phoenicians really this tall ?

many thx m8

FaLKReN's Avatar Civis

I never noticed these height differences before I've seen you mod, now it's always going to bother me

Amazing job Prometheus +1 rep Thanks a lot.
    Impossible is not a fact It's an opinion. Impossible is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by OlivierL View Post
    Thank you ! Strangely that was really annoying.
    It seems to me that Italic tribes were not so different than other Indo-european people across Europe, so maybe CA didn't have the time to do the proper research? I hope this will be changed later by popular demand.
    Does it work in multi-player since it's only cosmetic ? Were Phoenicians really this tall ?
    For phoenicians I considered the Jews and semitic people of palestine wich the Phoenicians are related . but I am not sure it really mattters since they used mostly all mercs anyway so I might have to retouch that according to the origins of each of their units .

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

In case of the Praetorians i would have expected at least a Scorpion Symbol on the shields. CA used like in Rome1 a parade uniform to seperate them from the usual legionaries, but this could have been solved otherwise. After all a find of a shield with an scorpion on it, is the one and only artifact were the archaeologist can say this was probably something that belongs to the praetorians.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Yes I already tought of giving them that shield hexagonal for praetorian cavlary but , is there a praetorian cavalry ingame?

Also did anyoen see this Imperial attic helmet ingame?

I also noticed that nO german is blond , or am I wrong?

I will also make a list of all roman units and check the needed changes ...

I hope that more than one officer is possible to be added.

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Very good work, Prometheus!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Jackie Chan's Brother Wang...'s Avatar Semisalis
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

This is save game compatible right?

So the average Romans are the size of average modern Northern Italians?

Great joke, mate.

Menumorut's Avatar Ducenarius

Haha, i really like this, barbarians are on steroids now

»MY GRAPHIC WORKSHOP« UNDER THE PARONAGE OF G☼D HIMSELF »MY ROMEII FAN ART«