Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic Units mod - heights and Roman Reskin

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Realistic Heights mod

Prometheus, may i use this mod into my please?

yes but I will add new things to it .

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Great work brother Prome. From the looks of the second screenshot comparison the heights were indeed disproportionate. Italians soldiers imo weren't dwarves. Once i watched in the discovery channel that Roman empire use to give their gladiators top level of diet so that they get strong and give a good show to amuse the crowd, so one can only guess that they paid even more attention and care towards the general diet, discipline and workout of their own soldiers. Barbarians in Germania or Scandinavia may be taller in average but by only a few inches. A height for an Italian\Roman Soldier should be imo be like around 5'10".
    Last edited by Ishan; September 11, 2013 at 05:39 AM.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Thats ok, ill just update as you do.

Cheers

Thx prome + rep

Deathcake's Avatar Tiro

lol i still laugh at that REALLY giant picture you posted as test Prom, good job on this

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Thanks, for making us Southern Europeans NOT look like dwarfs. +rep!
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

I will turn this little mod into a Realism mod for unit looks , so I will next implement hairs for the young levies, those are unnaturally bald as said , reserving for the town mobs most of the other looks , I would edit also some of the barbaraians town mobs according to the same principle since those shoudl represent the last resources of the city .

I am not tweaking stats because at the current stage of the game is useless and will be constantly overriden or conflict with patch updates , while mods like this will have probably a much secondary interest for fixing by CA .

I would also like to introduce more officers for romans and see if I can tweak or add new textures and implement a decent Centurion because I have yet to see one ingame .

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

Nice mod Prom, definitely a better depiction. What I would be interested in seeing, is making the characters on the CAMPAIGN MAP slightly smaller. This simple edit would make the map that much bigger, and make them look like they actually fit in the environment a bit more, and not just ON it.
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Here the New Roman LEvies ( wich supposely are youngs ) and Ihave gived them also longer hairs in roman style , someone has some helmet some has short some longer etc ... much more variance and more realism .

As for campaign map I will get there too but I woudl like to get better representative roman officers, the actual ones aren't historically accurate , I 'd prefer to see a centurion perhaps or eventually a signifer .... perhaps cooler than a general dunno yet ...

Here the new variances, I added also new kind of rasor short hairs, and a couple of blond types ...
    Upper --> Vanilla
    Bottom -->Modded
    Last edited by Ishan; September 11, 2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: triple post

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Cool mod Prometheus, it ads a lot of immersion on the battlefield and brings a tiny bit of the game back to earth, lol

Having Romans or Greeks fight against barbarians really looked weird and the height difference was really annoying
    Last edited by Scarrus; September 11, 2013 at 07:34 PM.

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

ehmm, the Greeks were similar if a bit taller than Romans Prom, check your facts mate
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Default Re: Realistic Units mod - heights and more

Thankyou I have uploaded the new file ...

Important delete the old realistic heights file , now this is the more advanced pak.

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    ehmm, the Greeks were similar if a bit taller than Romans Prom, check your facts mate
    Greeks were shorter than peninsular italians , infact its the common misconception due to the pompeian finds , shorter but not that much .

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    Greeks were shorter than peninsular italians , infact its the common misconception due to the pompeian finds , shorter but not that much .
    Er where do you exactly base that?

Adamantius Judeus notes about Greeks:

Reproducing the passage in the original Greek reveals that the Greeks were moderately tall men (autarkôs megaloi andres), broader, i.e., not linear-bodied (euruteroi), with moderately firm flesh (sarkos krasin echontes metrian eupagesteran), lighter-skinned (leukoteroi tên chroan), with a medium-sized head (kephalên mesên to megethos), a strong neck(trachêlon eurôston), slightly-curly brown hair (trichôma hupoxanthon hapalôteron oulon praôs), a square face, i.e., with a broad jaw and not long (prosôpon tetragônon), narrow lips (cheilê lepta), straight nose (rhina orthên), liquid, “glad,” quick eyes full of light (ophthalmous hugrous charopous gorgous phôs polu echontas en heautois).
    http://dienekes.awardspace.com/articles/hellenes/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamantius

Greece even the last 50 years has a greater average height than Italy seen here:
    http://www.econ.upf.edu/docs/papers/downloads/1002.pdf

General info of average height in the last 2000 years in Europe here:
    http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/uni/wwl/...omillennia.pdf

and here:
    http://www.ub.edu/economiaempresa/jo...pke/Koepke.pdf

Average height of the Roman army : 170 cm
    source (page 10):
    http://books.google.gr/books?id=LfRi...oldier&f=false
    Last edited by neoptolemos; September 11, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Quote Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
    Well, I tried it Radious Total War mod, everything SEEMS fine, didn't play a lot though
    Is it still working with Radious's mod?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Prom...you are realy great modder! Bravo!
    Now the hard task...
    Makedonians (Gr: Μακεδονες)comes from the word Makednos (Herodotus: Historiae , Geneological Tree of Greeks).
    Macednos comes from the word makos wich means length (in our case hight)...
    According to Hesiodus (genera of the Greeks) Makedonians were Dorians (like Spartan ellites[Spartoi] and Argos)...They had a greater average in hight (1.80/1.85) from Ionians and Aeolians..
    That is why the rest of Greeks named them like that.
    Alexander the Great was an exeption and that is why Dareius Wife and Daughters did not "count" him as the leader among other tall men! !!
    Neoptolemos is right...
    Latin/Italian genres were close in body size and shape with Greeks, despite the existance of "native" and older tribes espesialy in Sicely (sicanoi and sikeloi).

In any way this is a great work here...
    Question...Does the Shogun 2 tool pack works with Rome 2 too or you use other tools?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

They had a greater average in hight (1.80/1.85) from Ionians and Aeolians..
    I don't think that kind of average height was even possible in the ancient world
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    Er where do you exactly base that?
    hi I seen those and based myself on the findings of southern Italy greeks and greece , the average height is based more or less on that but I adopted the 1.70 minimum height for romans since the game make variances between the same unit some will grow taller some smaller and so have a variance . The usual Italic findings sugest that original central italian people were taller, the Roman belonged to that subtype, Then when expanded they included people from also other regions of the world especially greeks from south ( shorter ) and celts from nord ( taller ) . Also the greeks didn't have a proper standard for entering the army as long as So in theory there was no more a "Roman" type, all in all the Roman height in general is correct and higher of that of the average greek . but we are talking of a couple of cms here not that much difference like barbarians / mediterraneans .
    I might also increased a bit the Spartans , as due to their eugenetics selections the found armor of a hoplite showed a height of 1.77 m ( 5'10 ) wich is not really tall neither small.
    As for makedonians I assimilated as greeks but I might change that if that's the case as I am nt sure of their heights so I can increase a bit .
    Also consider that I have stressed the differences a bit because the findings of ancient barbarians the tallest didn't even reach 1.80 .
    But considering that most of those findings are about civilians the military and youngs usually were a bit taller .
    However many base theird ideas on height of romans on two misleading factors :
    1 think of romans as a "race or type" , wich is not , Roman is the Citizen the type is eventually italic , greek and celt in origins
    2 base their usual average height on the pompeian findings that show only low class ( romans) of greek most probable origins ( 1.65 as media )
    3 assume that those findings belong to soldiers wich is wrong.
    In every culture the fit for war were usually taller than the old and the women .

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Double .
    Last edited by PROMETHEUS ts; September 12, 2013 at 04:49 AM.

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder