Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: VariantMeshDefinitions files

Default Re: VariantMeshDefinitions files

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    Others have reported issues with new files in packs not being read. I've asked for example files from the people experiencing the problems so they can be looked into.

That is definitely do-able. You would need to create new mesh definitions for the armour, shields and cloaks and set them to the relevant masks, mask 0 is primary colour and the default so you'd want no mask specified for tunics, mask 1 for shield and then mask 3 for cloak alongside setting up new colours in the unit_variants_colours table.
    other than that the unit seemed to show up fine and has no problems .

so using the mask to have all shields red would that work?

Officers just use the faction colours.

You might get issues with the dignitaries in-game with their faces and hands as they've been built on the cinematic skeleton and not the one used by soldiers.
    Is not possible to give the officers also ( like praetorians ) a custom color in the custom table? or by some other means?

Also is it possible to add more than one officer to a unit?

Also possible to somehow get the "general Unit" of the campaign ingame as extra officer of the general unit?

Also here the files for the New custom unit and its relative not working files ( UI and text )

and here a modification of the units heights and roman al bald fix in case u might be inteested in checking for a future patch .
    Last edited by PROMETHEUS ts; September 17, 2013 at 04:14 AM.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    Is not possible to give the officers also ( like praetorians ) a custom color in the custom table? or by some other means?
    No it is not.

Also is it possible to add more than one officer to a unit?
    You could try via the land_unit_officers table.

Also possible to somehow get the "general Unit" of the campaign ingame as extra officer of the general unit?
    Do you mean have him show up alongside the existing officer? The only way to do that would be to add a second officer for all units that can be a generals unit and then only one would be replaced by the general.

Also here the files for the New custom unit and its relative not working files ( UI and text ) .
    Could you please upload that to a site that does not require a seperate download manager program to be installed.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

thanks a lot for ur answers.

Do you mean have him show up alongside the existing officer? The only way to do that would be to add a second officer for all units that can be a generals unit and then only one would be replaced by the general.
    But how I do so that the actual same general unit used in the campaign model is also used on the battlefield? Would that require a script?
    because I didn't mean only to have a general like unit but the actual one u are using ...

Also as side note is it possible to customize to an extent the generals units on the campaign ? like giving them a different shield, or cape or helmet or else? I knw you said they are unique models but I dont know to what extent , if is limited to thhe body ( armor included ) or the faces or else .

No it is not.
    Could you please upload that to a site that does not require a seperate download manager program to be installed.

You do not have to download the manager , you just need to click over the top name has showed here ...

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

But how I do so that the actual same general unit used in the campaign model is also used on the battlefield? Would that require a script?
    because I didn't mean only to have a general like unit but the actual one u are using ...
    Well you should see the general as the leader of his unit in battles you fight from the campaign.

Also as side note is it possible to customize to an extent the generals units on the campaign ? like giving them a different shield, or cape or helmet or else? I knw you said they are unique models but I dont know to what extent , if is limited to thhe body ( armor included ) or the faces or else .
    Yes the Generals are defined in the various General VariantMeshDefinition files like Rom_General_01 and so on, there are also battle versions of these files with spear and sword weapons assigned and then the politican variants for each general. All of these are assigned in the agent_uniforms and campaign art tables.

You do not have to download the manager , you just need to click over the top name has showed here ...
    Ah right i've got it downloaded.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Well you should see the general as the leader of his unit in battles you fight from the campaign.

Yes the Generals are defined in the various General VariantMeshDefinition files like Rom_General_01 and so on, there are also battle versions of these files with spear and sword weapons assigned and then the politican variants for each general. All of these are assigned in the agent_uniforms and campaign art tables.
    Ok but so far when I play in the campaign the General doesn't shows up as unit leader in battle , I just see the normal officer, perhaps its a bug by my side? Are they supposed to be loaded in the battle from the campaign map ? Or I need to do something specific to make them linked ?

so that I can have the same exact model leading the unit?

ALso I see that there are faction leader but that is not represented by any model on campaign or in battle, it woudl be nice perhaps to replace it with a more unique unit like having a crown or something, some peole have seen some unused models like the allorus crown etc , are those possible to be linked to the faction leader so that he specifically gets that kind of equipment in campaign and inbattle?

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Ok but so far when I play in the campaign the General doesn't shows up as unit leader in battle , I just see the normal officer, perhaps its a bug by my side? Are they supposed to be loaded in the battle from the campaign map ? Or I need to do something specific to make them linked ?
    Double check as that should be working fine.

ALso I see that there are faction leader but that is not represented by any model on campaign or in battle, it woudl be nice perhaps to replace it with a more unique unit like having a crown or something, some peole have seen some unused models like the allorus crown etc , are those possible to be linked to the faction leader so that he specifically gets that kind of equipment in campaign and inbattle?
    There is notihng setup to allow that.
    Senior Designer

is it possible to use a specular map on a decal to overwrite the specular map used on the rigid_model's texture?

say if i want to add a metal boss to the centre of a wooden shield, can i set up a normal map and a specular map to make it look slightly better
    Last edited by Aodh Mor; September 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM.

Hi, Got to say this support is truly great..

(Did have a lot more here, but when editting my post the site RUINED all the formatting and it ended up making no sense whatsoever)

Long story short for anyone who doesnt know this yet..

you can just add trousers into a variantmeshdefinition file and it works

Yep, so obviously not only trousers.. but trousers were pretty important for what I was doing and for some time today I was struggling with getting some of my units in trousers..
    Last edited by Actus Reus; September 18, 2013 at 03:17 PM.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

NVM...found it...I'm like a half-crazed wild man around here...
    Last edited by Condottiere SOG; September 18, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
    Erasmo
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: G73Sw
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12266MB RAM
    Page File: 2634MB used, 21881MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Btw I noticed that the texture maps are a bit different from canonic use or how are made by other game engines ...

Could u give us a small eplanation of each of them in the game? For example I see normals use two channels rather than 3RGB and one of the channels is placed in alpha , or how the specular instead if a highlight is more like a reflection color map etc ...

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

I have tried to implement in battle the dignitaries, but with not much success, in particular the dignitary roman , looks like themesh model has a skinning based eventually on a different skeleton?

SO dignitaries models are not compatible with battlefields?

From my experience, when things don't show up in the game like this, it is usually a mistake with the line. Try the following solutions:

1)

<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/skin/campaign/dignitary_male/roman/roman_dignitary_male_porthole_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>

Which should read:

<VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/skin/campaign/dignitary_male/roman/roman_dignitary_male_porthole_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>

2)

If that does not work, then try to go to roman_tunic.variantmeshdefinition, open it and place roman_dignitary_male_porthole_01.rigid_model_v2 as its model instead of the existing model in there which will end in the same .rigid_model_v2

Let me know how those two solutions turn out for you.
    To offend us is to offend God

With this, I can change the helmets of the Spartan units? I want to put them with just the Corinthian helmet... How would?

“He who turns the other cheek is a cowardly dog -- a Christian dog.”
    ― Ragnar Redbeard

Thanks for the great support Jack!

I have a question though and if anyone can answer it that'd be great:

I've re-read the part about the "masks" but I still don't understand how they work. Let's take the following example:

1) I set the uniform faction colours like this: Primary RGB: White, Secondary RGB: Red, Tertiary RGB: Blue. I put it this way because the most important part is that my Roman's most common clothing colour would be white.

2) Then I come across the issue with my Roman shields all turning white (I want them Red). So therefore I go about experimenting, and find that, mask0="1" /> at the end of each line works best. The following is an example of how I did it for the legionary shields.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    <VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="shields" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/roman_early_scutum.rigid_model_v2" decal_diffuse="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/patterns/roman/legionary_cohort_diffuse" decal_normal="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/patterns/roman/legionary_cohort_normal" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/roman_early_scutum.rigid_model_v2" mask0="1" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/roman_early_scutum.rigid_model_v2" decal_diffuse="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/patterns/roman/legionary_cohort_diffuse" decal_normal="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/patterns/roman/legionary_cohort_normal" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/roman_early_scutum.rigid_model_v2" mask0="1" />
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

So that works well enough, but one issue I've noticed is that, when zooming out and away from the Legionaries, the sprites turn all white. You can imagine this doesn't look good as up close u see a wall of Red shields and zoom far enough and you see a wall of White.

Hence, I went to look for the sprites directory, and after days, I just can't find it. So now I have a problem and have two ways I could solve it;

1) If I could find the place where Sprites reside I could manually set them somehow to a Reddish colour, so when I zoom out the wall of Red remains. So far I can't find them like how they were in a folder back in Rome I.

2) This one I would prefer. Set back the primary colour RGB to Red and thus automatically set the sprites back to Red hence zooming out, the wall does not change colours. But this would require me to gain further knowledge on how the (mask#="#" />) works and what each individual number means. For example, what does the mask number stand for (mask0 means..., mask1 means..., etc.) and what does the number after the equal sign stands for (="0" means ..., ="1" means..., etc.)

If anyone could help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Kaziel; September 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM.

Thank you for the info. I do have a question that is incredibly frustrating. I'm trying to modify officers that can use swords and its not working. Ive tried many combinations, but does not work. Is there another file I need to alter to get it to work?

Hello, i would like to add probability on textures but i can only add probility on <SLOT> tag so someone know where can we add some slots or is it possible to add probability on <VARIANT_MESH> tag?

found. In fact we can duplicate slots in .variantmeshdefinition files and apply different probability on them :
    Code:
                <SLOT name="shield" attach_point="weapon_03" >
                    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/hellenic_hoplon_spartan.VariantMeshDefinition" />
                </SLOT>
                <SLOT name="shield" attach_point="weapon_03" probability ="0.1" >
                    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/hellenic_hoplon_spartan_unpainted.VariantMeshDefinition" />
                </SLOT>
    Here we have a base with "hellenic_hoplon_spartan.VariantMeshDefinition" and add a variable with a little probability to have "hellenic_hoplon_spartan_unpainted.VariantMeshDefinition"

Hey,

So i wish to change the look of the Spartan Youths to look a bit more, armylike. I have been able to drag gre_spartan_youth.variantmeshdefinition to my desktop and modified it within Notepad++. So now it look like this:

<VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="base" >
    <VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="skin" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/skin/spartan_game_skin.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="facial_hair" />
    <SLOT name="props" />
    <SLOT name="helmets" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/hellenic_pylos.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/hellenic_pylos_crests.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="clothing" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/armour/linothorax.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="cloaks" />
    <SLOT name="greaves" />
    <SLOT name="shield" attach_point="weapon_03" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/hellenic_hoplon_spartan.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_1" attach_point="weapon_01" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/weapons/short_spears.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_2" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_4" />
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

But how do i get it back into PFM, so i can save it as .pack file and letting it show up ingame?

Thanks a lot

Can someone give me a rundown on syntax used for these?

"In a man to man fight the winner is he with one more bullet in his clip."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"Suffer not the Witch to live, nor the Heretic to spread his lies!"

Can we ever be expecting a visualization program to make unit creation fun and accessible for all?

monoolho's Avatar Libertus

That would be a dream come true.

Shogun 2 had, why not here? Not that it's easy to create such a tool, but some hope for the future would be nice...