Thread: How can I get the game to use all of my VRAM? And how much does SSD have to say?

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Default How can I get the game to use all of my VRAM? And how much does SSD have to say?

So I have got a Geforce 760 GTX with 4GB of memory. In the game in the graphics menu, the game says it's only using3000mb. That's a whole GB too little. Is it possible to make it use all of it? I have Unlimited Video memory on, by the way. Also, I have two harddrives, one SSD and one normal. Rome 2 is saved on the normal one, but the appdata folder is of course on the SSD. I have a lot of space on the normal haddrive (about 500GB), but the SSD only has 2GB left out of meagre 40. Is this making my performance go down, or does it have nothing to say about it? Thanks for any help!
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams, 2nd U.S. President

Default Re: How can I get the game to use all of my VRAM? And how much does SSD have to say?

I've noticed it not using all of mine as well. Nvidia 660 w 4GB but it wasn't even using 3000mb last time I checked, less than that.

Default Re: How can I get the game to use all of my VRAM? And how much does SSD have to say?

Quote Originally Posted by helmersen View Post
    So I have got a Geforce 760 GTX with 4GB of memory. In the game in the graphics menu, the game says it's only using3000mb. That's a whole GB too little. Is it possible to make it use all of it? I have Unlimited Video memory on, by the way. Also, I have two harddrives, one SSD and one normal. Rome 2 is saved on the normal one, but the appdata folder is of course on the SSD. I have a lot of space on the normal haddrive (about 500GB), but the SSD only has 2GB left out of meagre 40. Is this making my performance go down, or does it have nothing to say about it? Thanks for any help!
    Go to your pref scrip.......follow this path and change the following to I am guessing 4096000000. App data/roaming/the creative assembly/scripts/preferences script....look for the following line fx_video_memory 0; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) # Change the 0 to 4096000000 and see if that helps. Also in the same file path look for logs/gfx.log If anything is listed ala "such and such downgraded" delete it. If nothing is listed in the gfx.log then leave it be.

What's for a 3gb GPU? If I followed the 1.5 * VRAM * 1024 * 1024 formula, I only get 400+mb stated by the game.

Just use the 'unlimited video memory' option in the graphics settings then it doesnt matter how much VRAM the game detects.

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    Just use the 'unlimited video memory' option in the graphics settings then it doesnt matter how much VRAM the game detects.
    I thought this option caused some issues?

'Unlimited video memory' disables automatic downgrading and therefore forces the engine to actually use the selected settings and not something else. Therefore if you have any performance problems using that option, just downgrade some of your graphics options and your problems should go away.

Example: A GPU with only 1 GB of VRAM can't really handle 'extreme' or 'ultra' textures. If you still select it, the engine will downgrade it behind your back in order to avoid severe performance problems. If you select 'unlimited video memory' the engine will use the selected 'extreme' texture resolution. The result will probably be a lot of severe 'hickups' because of texture swapping. So you need to downgrade that option yourself.

Very quick guideline for different problem areas:
    - less than 2GB VRAM with 1080p resolution or higher, lower texture resolution
    - non-high end CPU (2 core, AMD or < 4Ghz) CPU causing bad performance in battles (especially with closups on many units): lower 'unit detail' to 'very high' or lower and lower 'shadow quality' to 'very high' or lower
    - entry-mid level GPU: switch off Alpha vegetation, SSAO, Depth of Field, Vignette, lower special effects

Note: The low quality AA from Rome 2 is pretty cheap in performance and can usually be left switched on
    Last edited by A Barbarian; September 10, 2013 at 04:28 AM.

Thank you for clarifying the issue.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams, 2nd U.S. President

You're right about that AA being low quality. It's pretty bad in a game with so many long skinny spears, xystons, sarrissas.....