Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnar Mod v2.32 (Updated 27/03/14) - Patch 15 Compatible

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Magnar Mod v1.03 (Updated 11/9/13) - now with Promethiusts' Realistic Heights Mod + more

ill re upload it in a sec then

Default Re: Magnar Mod v1.03 (Updated 11/9/13) - now with Promethiusts' Realistic Heights Mod + more

Great mod Magnar, let me tell you

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

download link should work now inty

glad u like it dru

SirPeacemaker's Avatar Centenarius

Magnar, did you do anything with battle timer? My clock is gone and now I quite need it
    Very good rocking song. The message of the song: WHEN PEOPLE LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UKRAINIAN WAR, THEY WILL GO INSANE!! (I suggest to turn the english subtitles on. Its over 18only because of violent pictures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAR6nUV7VI

aNarion.'s Avatar Centenarius

No problem

1) Havent seen any drastic changes here. Havent really explored the map that much either and havent turned fog(forgot how to do that). But seems like alot of factions prefers to have 1 army that is fullstacked and the rest is just left with the general for a longer time(but that happened for me in the vanilla too).

2) Feels like the A.I have more armies out there, but some doesnt use its potential. like i said they seem to leave the army with the general only. One example of this is rome where they have 2 armies and 2 fleets near syracuse with only their generals/admirals, one of the stacks might have more but its barely noticable..

3) Changes has been seen here, those armies i've fought has been alot more melee combat rather than skirmisher. The army of knossos had for instance 10-12 melee units and 2 cavalry 5-6 ranged, which feelt better then vanilla.

4) Yes, the major factions like rome, carthage, egypt etc.. survived longer. Some greek factions died rather quickly though.. like macadon died after 15 turns by the thracian factions(forgot the name).

5) i've been attacked by 3 factions all of whom attacked me with their full strenght but they left their attacked homeland undefended. Which i disliked in a way.
    thracia attacked me with an army of 26 units on pella. around 50 turns in.(even thought they had their army around macadonia idling for quite some time)
    epirus attacked me with an army of 15 units on sparta. 7 turns in.
    knossos attacked me with an army of 20~ units on sparta. 20 turns in.
    Seems like the A.I is a bit more agressive but they tend to priorities to attack rather then to defend. which is good and bad.

In general i've noticed some things that i disliked in on the behavior on the BAI, where they tend to run through my units instead of fighting. Which might have happened for others in vanilla, but i've noticed it.

Also as mentioned before, units get exhausted a bit to quickly now then before on the vanilla.

Hope i didn't give you to many issues to think about now, glad to help anyhow!
    Last edited by aNarion.; September 11, 2013 at 02:58 PM.

Thanx Magmar, really love your mod. Although i am still not satisfied with everything (mainly fatigue) but it is a great step in the right direction. Way more fun to play now then vanilla But it's only been a few days since it is out, i am sure in a few weeks things will be allot better (game and mod diversity) One request, if at all possible. Could you make a standalone mod for the x1.5 / x2 unit sizes for 1 / 2 / 4 tpy (with adjusted garrisons) I am sure allot of people would like that, to combine it with other mods that overhaul the rest (lot's of different tastes )

I had an incidence while playing as Sparta. I was playing with the 1.03 1.5x and was in a battle against Epirus. Their Hellenic Royal Guard kept in pike phalanx formation and killed and nearly massacred my force. That one unit killed 600+ of my 960 hoplites. I then tested it a few times in custom battle, 1 Hellenic Royal Guard vs 1 Praetorian Guard. They completely destroyed those as well. I then tried it in vanilla, here they simply didn't use pike phalanx and was thus beaten by other troops.

I seems like you have done something to keep them in formation and thereby made pikes a bit imba. Pike phalanx was ofc awesome but I am not sure if it was that good vs normal phalanx or the elite roman infantry.

Also, I could not get my pratorians to charge until they had used all their ammo. This actually gave them a stating advantage over the Pike Phalanx as they had a broader formation and could thus keep throwing pilums at the side of the pike phalanx formation. Gave them an edge at the start but they still got massacred.

Awesome mod btw, keep up the good work.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Mala, All roman melee units now start with ranged as default. To get them to charge click the crossed sword button then they should charge.

Let me know if this is not the case

Also, most unit stats have only been increased by % so far. Unit balancing is further down the track as it will take significant time and testing im sure.

Ultimately i would like to vary unit sizes more and therefore all their stats aswell.

aNarion, appreciate the extra feedback. I think I will be leaving the campaign changes ive made till i get some time to test it a little more. The ai attacking with large nearly full stacks sounds promising even if smaller stacks are floating around the place doing nothing and not defending their cities much. I may just increase their garrison or improve it a bit rather than make it more defensive.

That BAI problem is a vanilla problem, ive experienced it a number of times. Atm i havent touched the bai, only stats and campaign ai and a few other bits and pieces.

Keep that feedback coming.

NB: tomorrows update will not have much in it. Im going be mostly testing whats already done.
    Also my attempts to change recruitment failed. I have another idea how it might be possible so not all hope is lost... lets just say if i can get it to work then it will make it much more realistic

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Oh and forgot to ask how did u find the food and squalor changes?

I have played a few custom battles with this mod and have to say that the melee combat is significantly better. The only thing I think should be altered is the morale. A unit of 240 men doesn't route until they have lost ~200 men. I would like to see them break sooner than sustain catastrophic casualties. Just my .02 great mod and keep up the good work!

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

SirPeacemaker, ive not touched the battletime. Anyone else experiencing the same issue.

Menace, I would like to make it more realistic but that would tie in with the roster re-balancing. Historically 10% of an army was consider a large loss of men. However, my initial priority was to extend the length of battles... ultimately id like to lower total casualties in battles while keeping them at a length.

The melee mode or Alt+Attack works fine. Wonder how i forgot that. This makes it really nice to have them as ranged.

Libertus

Good work Magnar, I like your mod.
    NO - SLEEP - TIL - KYOTO!!!

i cant find the post which explained this but is there a way to get your mod to be 4 turns per year?

I love this mod. My only complaint, and this may have happened with vanilla as well is that the AI always seems to leave his cities before I attack him. It happened twice in my Egypt campaign. Both times the AI had full stacks armies, and both times my army was sitting right outside his city. Instead of attacking my army, the AI simply went around me and tried to attack another one of my cities. I took his capital next turn without much of a fight. I'm not sure if tweaking the values will help with this.

Other than that, your squalor changes appear to be fine, though I haven't gotten to the higher tier buildings yet.

1) Did you notice a difference in the number of units in each stack? did they have larger armies than vanilla on average?
    Yes

2) Did you notice more melee infantry units in the ai armies relative to vanilla?
    Yes, it was a very balanced army.

3) Did the main factions stay alive longer?
    I guess, I didn't really see any of them fall, but Egypt is so far away from the rest of them

4) Did the ai focus on attacking you result in more and larger land battles?
    Yes, except they attacked my city so they did that capture point thing, and mobbed my army every time. I hope CA fixes that bug soon.

5) anything else that you noticed that was different from native.

Battles were nice and long. Love the generals points per level buff.

Magnar, I like your mod. The duration of the battle is in my opinion almost perfect.

The composition of the armies, in this latest version of your mod, has changed much over the previous. Armies use many more melee units, but I think even in excess. I'm starting the campaign with Roma and I am at war with the Etruscan League. I fought with two armies Etruscans and none had even a missile unit. 10 units of spearmen and 0 units of slingers or skirmish.

Another problem I've seen is that even installing your 2tpy/garrison 1.5x Etruscan league has its initial army and its garrison in cities with initial size, 160. Do not know if that happens with the other factions.

Keep up the hard work. You're doing a better roma2

Magnar,

Not sure if you can tweak this, but the AI doesn't seem to know about food. One of the AI's I just attacked had only one provenience, but 3 armies and was taking attrition. The AI never built a farm.

Radious and Magnar overwrite each other for a lot of important features. however, if you get PFM and look over the tables in each mod, you can chose which ones to keep and which ones to delete. I use Magnar for campaign features and Radious for some experience, armor stats, abilities and vfx removal. it's not that hard and if you try you'll get the hang of it (i only started doing this for Rome 2 so my advice has no authority whatsoever but proves it's possible once an experienced and dedicated modder has laid down the groundwork - thanks magnar!)

so, taking into account i'm not playing pure Magnar but most of the relevant parts, here's my experience with 1.03 playing as Rome:
    - tried the 4tpy campaing for a few turns, starting units are 1.5, newly recruited are 2x (not really a bother), don't notice what garrisons are supposed to be compared to vanilla, however, during my 2tpy campaign Carthage was holding it's own against the numerous African and Iberian factions that used to swarm and crush her pretty early while Sparta crushed Macedon in about 30 turns. movement is nice, was ridiculous to go from the knee to the toes of Italy in 3 years, slower research and cultural influence would be a bonus for me.
    - i liked throwing javelins while charging better, you can simulate this but requires individual control of one unit. it's really a matter of taste.
    - better rank depth but testudo still ridiculously long.
    - still have to try naval battles but it seems your mod is shaping up, great work!

Ok, tried a quick naval battle. Like all mods increasing unit capacity, there is a naval bug (it's really a game bug but becomes more annoying when going over default unit sizes):
    - all ships have a limited deck capacity so even if you increase max_men_per_ship or num_ships, part of the men will spawn in an inaccessible zone of the battlefield, usually center of the map, slightly below ground level and are stuck in that position;
    - when boarding ships, you can only kill the men on deck and after that there's still 50% in that unit which you can't get to, boarding ship being blocked for the rest of the battle. even if you ram the enemy ship, boarding ship remains stuck.
    - when landing ships only men on deck actually disembark and even worse, they remain stuck at the landing point and can't be controlled.
    - even tried reverting sizes back to vanilla, if only 1 survivor remained in an naval unit and was not on deck, both ships involved in boarding were stuck.

Hope someone figures this out because CA employees clearly do not watch modding threads (or they would have known that people mess with the unit sizes on a regular basis) and I see little hope for them patching a product that "works as intended".

1, 2 skirmishers for the early armies is also nice. Was afraid i would have to chase them down with my hastati.
    On a personal note, I think skirmish units should be 1x, they would be more maneuverable and still have the file length for 2 of them to cover a 6 cohort line.

Sparta was conquered by Epirus in 10 turns, they still have a sizable force in Apollonia and I know it's very hard to recruit units for this faction.
    Ha! Sparta leapt like a panther and clawed Epirus and Athens to shreads by the end of turn 18.
    Last edited by clasbin; September 12, 2013 at 07:52 AM.

How did you increase the unit size and how come I can't find a single other mod to this effect anywhere on the forum? Is there any way to get just that feature?

for changing unit size check
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...g-or-horse-bug
    by our noble Magnar.
    other similar mod that I came across is Poniatowski1991's Full Cohort Mod
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?619791
    also Lines of battle and Improve war mod. However, Magnar's starts moving into campaign tweaks.
    If I remember correctly, Darthmod had a similar issue for Shogun 2 at some stage (naval bug I mean). Anyone knows him well enough to ask for a favor?
    Last edited by clasbin; September 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM.