Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Special Abilities Be Gone!

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

Default Special Abilities Be Gone!

By editing "land_units_to_unit_abilites_junctions", I've removed all of the superfluous special abilities from the game like "Quick Reload" and "Use the Whip". Now you don't have to worry that you or the AI has an unfair advantage due to your ability to spam LoL spells.

Special Abilities Be Gone v3

- Removes almost all special abilities from the game (with the exception of Frenzy--which has a fatigue penalty by default, and Generals' abilities, e.g., Rally)
    - No more flaming javelins, and no more flaming arrows for mounted units (seriously CA, WTF)
    - All Roman infantry now have Shield Wall, Offensive Testudo, and Defensive Testudo (previously only Triarii used it)
    - Increases the recharge time of remaining special abilities (e.g., Rally now takes 300 seconds to recharge)

*Is compatible with Radious Battle Mod to a degree--it will override any changes he makes to special abilities. Consult his thread for further details.

P.S.

If you would like to dabble in some Rome II modding yourself and tweak any part of Special Abilities Be Gone™, follow these six easy steps!

1. Download the Pack File Manager
    2. Go into your extracted PFM folder and open the file "schema_R2TW.xml"
    3. Scroll to the bottom of "schema_R2TW.xml", respect the formatting, add this schema, and save:
    <table name='missile_weapons_to_projectiles_tables'>
    <field name='missile_weapon' type='string_ascii' />
    <field name='projectile' type='string_ascii' />
    </table>
    4. Now, launch the PFM and open the file "SpecialAbilitiesBeGoneV3.pak" (you'll find it in your Rome II /data folder, right?) Most of the file names and their contents should be self explanatory, but essentially, land_units_to_unit_abilities_junctions_tables is for controlling the special abilities of units; missile_weapons_to_projectiles_tables is where flame javelins once resided before I gleefully deleted them from the game; and unit_special_abilities_tables gives you control over a special ability's duration, cool down, etc.
    5. Make your changes, save. If your game crashes/freezes while loading, you probably deleted something you shouldn't have (like that ability Second Wind). Don't fret. Go back to step 4, rinse and repeat until the game is playing to your satisfaction.
    6. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Pnutmaster; September 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM.
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Default Re: [WIP] Special Abilities Be Gone!

Flaming javelins are not an ability. Secondary projectiles are defined in missile_weapons_to_projectiles. Removing the entries with flaming javelins there should do the trick.

Btw: Which morning do you mean. We have mornings all over the world all day long.
    Last edited by Yarkis de Bodemloze; September 08, 2013 at 02:40 AM.

newt's Avatar Primicerius

probably U.S. eastern time zone

Finally, have only be waiting for something like this to get rid of the Dragonball Z features.

Excuse me for my Americanism. Sometimes I forget that the rest of you don't operate on Imperial Standard Time Version 1 of my mod is now available in the OP.

Perhaps a wiser modder could tell me why all the pack files I create have a padlock symbol superimposed on them?
    Last edited by Pnutmaster; September 08, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Miles

Default Re: Special Abilities Be Gone!

I shall spread your mod on the official forums. Personally, I wont use your mod, but I do respect your work and am fairly sure a lot of people have been waiting for this. Good luck on improving the mod!

Great work ! but would it be possible to increase an abilities cooldown timer because 60 secs. CD on the generals abilities are a bit too quick, should be more like 5 min.

Miles

@OP, I do have a suggestion in regard to the flaming javelins removal. Can you consider to keep the flaming javelins in the game for Iberean factions only? Because the Ibereans used flaming javelins.

Thanks, big time.
    Epictetus: former slave and stoic philosopher

Do I need a Mod Manager?

Or can I just drop it in the data folder?

Do I need a Mod Manager?

Or can I just drop it in the data folder?

is the AI using it?
    Good going CA, you really must be proud of your hard work.....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    http://www.raceinfo.no/temp/rome2%20blast.gif

Cool, could you remove the capture flags??

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Why no offensive testudo?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Thanks, I've have been waiting for this.Why remove the Offensive Testudo though? It's a valid tactic which is historically based.

except in rome 2, it's not working. You lose more men to missiles in testudo formation, then by walking ... Of course that's a whole other issue with the insane armor piercing of sling shots ...

You simply drop this .pack into your /data folder. I could convert it into a Mod, but given that this Rome II modding in its infancy, I'll leave it as is and convert it when necessary.

I could reactivate the Offensive Testudo. Hell, rather than polarize you guys, I'll give the Romans both Offensive and Defensive Testudo and leave historicity in your hands. As Sin316 said, it barely works in combat and I found Shield Wall a more than sufficient replacement. I'll admit, I did miss seeing the men march forward with their shields raised.

@Sandra, yes, the AI will adapt to these changes just as you do.

@Grudge, I would happily give flame javelins to the Iberians and only the Iberians, but that requires editing land_units (which is a file that everyone will be modifying. It governs attack, defense, etc) and I would rather keep this file as compatible as I can.

Next version of the mod will multiply the cool down of Rally/Frenzy/etc. Pre-modded average cool down was 60 seconds. 300 seconds seemed more acceptable by my standards.
    Last edited by Pnutmaster; September 08, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Very nice, you think you can reduce usage of molotovs on gates?

I tried your version 1 on a fresh roman campaign and I have to say that the battles feel way better without the magical abilities (combined with the other mods that improve combat). I'll install right now the version 2 to get rid off the flaming javelins

angus young's Avatar Ordinarius
    Villefranche de rouergue France in the south

Hi, great idea, it really ridiculous to see cav archer with fire... But is ti compatible with the radious mod ?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast