Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Aeimnestus Ancient Naval Warfare & Realistic Combat mod (Current version 1.5)

Default Re: Aeimnestus Ancient Naval Warfare & Realistic Combat mod

Here are some Assault Quinquereme for the people (read the readme for details):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c1...Quinquereme.7z

Oh and Aeimnestus you might want to alter the camera changes you did, if you zoom in all the way the camera clips through the ground. Really quite distracting.

Here are some Assault Quinquereme for the people (read the readme for details):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c1...Quinquereme.7z

Oh and Aeimnestus you might want to alter the camera changes you did, if you zoom in all the way the camera clips through the ground. Really quite distracting.

I have a question about ships and you seem quite knowledgeable. The massive roman transport ships are ridiculous looking. Are they historically accurate? Wiki says romans often used liburnians and hemiolia as troop transports. What would be a realistic number of fully armed men who could fit on such a boat without sinking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeimnestus View Post
    Small update: thanks to Nalatroz I now know how to add/change ships! This means I'll be completely overhauling the naval rosters for the next few weeks. You can expect the Roman and Carthaginian fleets to be based around the quinquereme like they were historically. The large greek successor states will have more emphasis on huge polyreme ships, while the decaying greek city states will have navies build more around the cheaper triremes and quadriremes.

I am currently still testing my new missile changes (it's trickier than I foresaw to balance them out well), expect an update of the mod next monday. (this update will not have any new ships yet)
    Aeimnestus, been enjoying this mod and following it closely...I have a question for you:

If we're keeping with the idea of being able to change history in a Total War game, would it make sense to maybe have at least the -Athenians- be able to keep up with the Roman, Carthaginian and successor state naval tech? Give the Athenians the ability to recruit the fives, sixes and eights, as opposed to limiting them to the 3's and 4's artificially? I use the word 'artificial' because if you as the Athenian TW player spend all your money in-game on naval tech and recruitment, why shouldn't you be able to build a navy of 5/6/8's and show the Romans who really ruled the waves?

The Sparta fans have their Corinthian helmet mods. Give us naval fans a reason to rebuild Athenian naval superiority...

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

I really like a lot of what you've done here. The land battles were good, at least as good as what anyone else has done so far to slow down everything into a normal (non crack head) pace with a real melee. The naval battle felt good at first too -- ships moved nicely and I liked the maneuverability -- however everything was over way too fast.

You have good historical reasons for making the smaller ships more effective ramming killers but all this does in the reality of the game is give the AI stack upon stack of one-shot killers, since all it does is recruit the small ships. Of course, I think the bad results I had were as much to do with existing bugs and the insane amount of multi-tasking you have to do with a fleet engagement. But this is not made better by one-shot ship kill ramming, it's worse. I am losing ships before I can even see what's happening.

Note: Army transports just need to go, period. Armies need to be made to board fleets and travel the realistic way. Leave transformer boats for agents, that's a nice touch by CA, but it should have stopped there. I will give an island in the Aegean to the first modder who can put an end to the transformer army-navy menace.

Nice Job, look forward to seeing this mod develop even further!!

I have a problem downloading this mod. When I hit the link I just get a blank page called 'attachment' Is anyone else having this issue ?

If possible could it be available another way .. This is the mod I want to start a new campaign. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Indus_Valley View Post
    I have a problem downloading this mod. When I hit the link I just get a blank page called 'attachment' Is anyone else having this issue ?

If possible could it be available another way .. This is the mod I want to start a new campaign. Thanks.
    Not just you; it's happening to me too. I couldn't post my original answer because apparently it had forbidden words. :s

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

@Aeimnestus: If I were you, I'd seperate the naval and land changes. You're currently "competing" with at least two other landbattle mods (Radious' and Luntik's). Some people - me included - would like some naval changes, but if in doubt will prefer any of the other two landbattle mods.
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

Quote Originally Posted by GODzilla View Post
    @Aeimnestus: If I were you, I'd seperate the naval and land changes. You're currently "competing" with at least two other landbattle mods (Radious' and Luntik's). Some people - me included - would like some naval changes, but if in doubt will prefer any of the other two landbattle mods.
    He has separated the mod. Its available in the OP . However if you want the full mod, it seems the link is broken .

Another shout out to Aeimnestus , can you upload the full mod to Fileswap like you did with the other one ?? pretty please.

I see. Though "I see" only one download in the startpost. And in there is only one file. So that's the actual standalone naval mod, without the landbattle changes?
    GODzilla(TM)

I see. Though "I see" only one download in the startpost. And in there is only one file. So that's the actual standalone naval mod, without the landbattle changes?
    No its nearly at the end of the Original Post. It is in amongst the text. It is a Fileswap link . Have another look, you'll see it .

Quote Originally Posted by Indus_Valley View Post
    No its nearly at the end of the Original Post. It is in amongst the text. It is a Fileswap link . Have another look, you'll see it .
    Wow...must've been a case of serious blindness in addition to a mild stroke of laziness on my part. Thanks.
    GODzilla(TM)

We've all done that !

The mod you want is downloadable, but the full mod is still borked by TWC. I just have to wait, but at least these files can be added mid campaign.

Is this still working with patch 2.0(beta)?

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Nalatroz View Post

I want to echo this too, I found zooming into the ground and seeing the sea level underneath to be jarring. I love the camera changes in general though! Just see if you can pull it back a little bit to avoid that happening so often.

Damn, it seems even the "Ship Only" version is incompatible to the Close Combat Mod (Gold-version). Both use the file battle_entities_tables.
    GODzilla(TM)

Damn, it seems even the "Ship Only" version is incompatible to the Close Combat Mod (Gold-version). Both use the file battle_entities_tables.
    Here I modded a version of the ship only version which is compatible with CC/Radious/Whichever else

http://www.mediafire.com/?6290mwo41b64dez

It is mod pack so load with the mod manager. It only affects the ships in the battle entities table, ignoring the land speed.

@Nalatroz: Please explain this to me; Two mods can share the same files as long as different entries are modified in that file?
    GODzilla(TM)

Yes to an extent, they can't have same table name.

If two mods, alter say the battle_entities table one will override the other
    If you change the name of the table, like I added the prefix aeim to the battle entities to make it aeim_battle_entities and change to pack type to mod instead of movie, not only does it improve compatibility with other mods but it allows one to make small changes with out having to alter the entire table, only pushing changes that we do instead.

In this case I only changed the ships, removing the land units from battle_entities, so it would only make changes to the ships, leaving the others as they were allowing you to use the land speed from CC/Radious/Whichever. If I left the land units speed in the table, it would of altered and overwritten their changes as well.

Oh and make sure to change the name of the table if you remove entries from the tables otherwise you will remove them from the game as well. For example when I added the Assault Quinqueremes(See my double posts above) I needed to change the naval_units.loc file to add the unit name Assault Quinquereme to the game, when testing it I forgot to change the name of the file, and it overwrite the vanilla naval_units.loc instead of adding onto it, which left me with a lot of ships with no names even though my units had theirs.