Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Aeimnestus Ancient Naval Warfare & Realistic Combat mod (Current version 1.5)

Default Re: Aeimnestus Ancient Naval Warfare & Realistic Combat mod

This is compatible with radius ? great then ! i needed such mod !!! thank you
    Aeimnestus that u did think about this .
    All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas.

All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas.

For me the best mod of this kind so far! Aeimnestus, I really like your solid historical ground and approach for this (no "I've changed factor x to y because like that"). Could you supplement your mod also with lowered reinforcement rate, so that battle losses mean anything at all?

And if you know how to, I beg you to do something about one of the biggest CA naval flips - absolutely every AI faction is sailing its armies through seas up and down, forgetting even to defend its own cities being attacked, land being raided Armies instantly morphing into fleets for no real cost or disadvantages are insane! Maybe it's possible to mod it so embarking your army on the transports would cost some money every time (300-500?). This cost would represent all efforts needed to provide transport ships for an ancient army - acquiring all needed materials and building new vessels, requisition of trade ships (for some i.e. Romans even paid compensations) etc. Now everybody is cruising and even some dirty poor and insignificant tribal factions are easily challenging such naval powers as Carthage...
    Last edited by Kristoff; September 12, 2013 at 05:51 PM.

Julius Caesar Salad's Avatar Civis

Loving this mod! Well done, sir.

My results: As Macedon, I attacked Knossos - battle took over a half hour!! I had about 2000 troops, Knossos over 4000. Mine were higher quality, but nonetheless I still lost about 60% of my forces, killing around 3100 Cretans. It's my most intense battle yet, and I owe this mod for my victory, since my pikemen kept formation and held the line!

Haven't had a go with naval battles yet (which is ironic since that's what drew me to the mod), but I did see Knossos ships and they looked way more maneuverable; turning was smooth, not agonizingly slow.
    "Et tu, Croute?" - last words of Romaine dictator Julius Caesar Salad to his friend Marcus Croutonus at the moment of his murder by tossing.

HaveFallen's Avatar Centenarius
    In this Island, surrounded by water. Guam!

Quote Originally Posted by Klierowski View Post
    This question...

Also, need an answer if it is save game compatible with campaigns...
    If I can't cheat, how will I get through school???

Yes it is.

Thanks for the positive feedback all, I'm glad you are enjoying my mod.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFallen View Post
    This question...

Also, need an answer if it is save game compatible with campaigns...
    It is compatible with savegames. It is not compatible with radious combat mod, unless you follow the instructions outlined in my original post. It is compatible with the other mods from radious. I'm using his graphics mod myself, the 4 turns per year mod, the realistic heights mod from Prometheus, and the special-abilities-be-gone mod.

Armies instantly morphing into fleets for no real cost or disadvantages are insane! Maybe it's possible to mod it so embarking your army on the transports would cost some money every time (300-500?). This cost would represent all efforts needed to provide transport ships for an ancient army - acquiring all needed materials and building new vessels, requisition of trade ships (for some i.e. Romans even paid compensations) etc. Now everybody is cruising and even some dirty poor and insignificant tribal factions are easily challenging such naval powers as Carthage...
    Dealing with the naval transport system has my highest priority as soon as I figure out how to do this. For the time being however, with my naval changes a dedicated naval fleet (even a cheap one using only biremes or hemiolia's) will wipe the floor with any transport fleet unless you try to ram the transports head on which will just get you boarded.

And yes, so far I have to agree, this is the best battle mod so far. I also hope you wont touch horses speed, unless to make it realistic, cause Ive seen too many mods lower their speed, just to balance them to light infantry. It becomes snail horses.....
    At some point I will look into the charge speed of horses, if they turn out to be excessively fast compared to real horses I'll change them accordingly. I suspect their charge speed is too high in the game, but their running and walk speed seems about right as it is.

I agree, this is the best. But I don't think all the skirmishing weapons are OP, just the slingers. Bows still pretty weak in my opinion.
    I have done extensive testing, and I had a very different experience. In my tests archers outperformed slingers by a huge margin (basically double the killing power) while slingers and javelins had a very similar kill ratio. For example in one of my tests 2 units of basic slingers would in a certain timeframe kill around 30-35 Perioikoi hoplites, basic javelins around 30, and basic archers 70+.

I am currently testing some new changes to projectiles that should slightly reduce slingshot damage, significantly reduce arrow damage to become more inline with slings, and keep javelins about the same.
    In addition to some tweaks to morale (higher base morale, units winning combats being less prone to breaking, whilst flanking and rear charges and missile fire have a more significant negative morale effect) and some minor tweaks to ships. (Transport ships slightly higher health but less mass, so they no longer instantly destroy one another by ramming frontally, slight turn speed reduction for biremes and triremes and variants, significant reduction in naval artillery damage vs ships (historically the ballistae on ships were mostly anti-personnel, and not especially effective at sinking ships.))
    Last edited by Aeimnestus; September 12, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
    Aeimnestus was a Spartan, famous because he killed the Persian General Mardonius at the battle of Plataea.

As far as skirmishers go they aren't my problem, its the shields. The shields count as a units health so when it breaks they die, this is why during the first few vollies no one dies. This is also why testudo sucks. If you could fix that by giving the shield or something a huge number it would be awesome. also IMO it gets kind of annoying seeing javilenes stuck in units necks and them just walking around like nothing happened.

Chieftain John K.'s Avatar Tiro

The mod is well done, sir. I like the combination with other mods. For the naval, there was still nothing. Thank you! I play with the following mods (some I've made compatible).

--> 2-4 turns per year (*4turns)
    --> Radious Total War Mod (*delete the battle_entries, *delete the unit_dust_parameters.txt)
    --> Aeimnestus_Naval_Warfare_1.1_Mod
    --> SpecialAbilitiesBeGoneV3 (*only with missile_weapons_to_projectiles "no flaming javelin")
    --> Special Effects Mod v. 1.2 (*integrate blood effect in radious vfx)
    --> Realistic_heights
    --> Icon Mod
    --> Splenyi' Better Campaign Camera
    Last edited by Chieftain John K.; September 12, 2013 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieftain John K. View Post
    The mod is well done, sir. I like the combination with other mods. For the naval, there was still nothing. Thank you! I play with the following mods (some I've made compatible).

--> 2-4 turns per year (*4turns)
    --> Radious Total War Mod (*delete the battle_entries, *delete the unit_dust_parameters.txt)
    --> Aeimnestus_Naval_Warfare_1.1_Mod
    --> SpecialAbilitiesBeGoneV3 (*only with missile_weapons_to_projectiles "no flaming javelin")
    --> Special Effects Mod v. 1.2 (*integrate blood effect in radious vfx)
    --> Realistic_heights
    --> Icon Mod
    --> Splenyi' Better Campaign Camera
    Willing to upload? And good jobb!

Trying to download, but its not allowing me, somehow, i click and it leads to a blank page.

Awesome, can't wait to try; do you know if this will work with Close Combat mod 2.0? I guess I'm a little confused. I was using Radious the whole time seems he's tweaked a tremendous amount of things in his battle-mod; but I'd like to give yours a try as well. Close combat was supposed to take care of formations, lines, times etc as well as camera in battles.

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Just tried this mod out and its very good I actually had a decent custom battle using it and I like the way the camera goes right down into the action. Great Job please keep working on it + Rep

If you just use Radious's smaller mod files, leaving out the "battle" one makes it compatible with the full version of this one, Vladimus, so you can try this out without even restarting a campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeimnestus View Post
    I have done extensive testing, and I had a very different experience. In my tests archers outperformed slingers by a huge margin (basically double the killing power) while slingers and javelins had a very similar kill ratio. For example in one of my tests 2 units of basic slingers would in a certain timeframe kill around 30-35 Perioikoi hoplites, basic javelins around 30, and basic archers 70+.I am currently testing some new changes to projectiles that should slightly reduce slingshot damage, significantly reduce arrow damage to become more inline with slings, and keep javelins about the same. In addition to some tweaks to morale (higher base morale, units winning combats being less prone to breaking, whilst flanking and rear charges and missile fire have a more significant negative morale effect) and some minor tweaks to ships. (Transport ships slightly higher health but less mass, so they no longer instantly destroy one another by ramming frontally, slight turn speed reduction for biremes and triremes and variants, significant reduction in naval artillery damage vs ships (historically the ballistae on ships were mostly anti-personnel, and not especially effective at sinking ships.))
    Yes, it's true. I did some tests either and I found that with time, if they focus one unit, they can get a very good kill ratio. I think this should remain true for enemies with low armor/no shield or when the shield break. The same goes for javelin, but with more armor piercing when the shield break. Slings should do less damage to armor, but have higher range, perhaps? Also, do you think it's possible in the current state to make units more responsive? I know that some barbarians, after engaging in battle, shouldn't be able to obey order as good as romans, but some high tier units, like generals, are equally harder to retreat as club levys.Is possible to merge 4 turns per year with your mod without problems or I have to edit something? Also, can I implement it in the middle of a campaign?Thanks for the great mod and sorry for my english.

The question now is "Is this compatible with the NEW Patch 2.0?

Tried it, but enemy units were doing some strange things doing a siege on my city; will stick to naval only, I like radious for battles. Thanks

That's not because of the mod, Vlad. The AI messes up siege battles by default, not -all- of them, mind, but on some maps it has no clue.
    Last edited by Unahim; September 13, 2013 at 04:05 PM.

Aeimnestus, thank you for this mod. I'm probably the 1% who actually loves naval battles in Rome2; I didn't think it was any worse or more broken than any other part of the game people complain about. But this just sweetens it. After some testing I have also adopted your land battle modifications and prefer it over Radious. Please keep up the hard work!

Small update: thanks to Nalatroz I now know how to add/change ships! This means I'll be completely overhauling the naval rosters for the next few weeks. You can expect the Roman and Carthaginian fleets to be based around the quinquereme like they were historically. The large greek successor states will have more emphasis on huge polyreme ships, while the decaying greek city states will have navies build more around the cheaper triremes and quadriremes.

I am currently still testing my new missile changes (it's trickier than I foresaw to balance them out well), expect an update of the mod next monday. (this update will not have any new ships yet)
    Aeimnestus was a Spartan, famous because he killed the Persian General Mardonius at the battle of Plataea.