Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Aeimnestus Ancient Naval Warfare & Realistic Combat mod (Current version 1.5)

antares24's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Aeimnestus Ancient Naval Warfare mod

can someone confirm if this mod is compatible with close combat mod?
    Factum est illud, fieri infectum non potest

"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn’t even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by jan_boruta View Post
    I second that. Many people are using Close Combat or Radious Battle Mod already and what are we all looking for is a naval overhaul. If you could release just the naval part of your mod, you would please many, many more people here I'm really looking forward to it, as I find naval battles to quick and hard to focus on.
    The ships are in the same database file that tweaks the movement speed of land units, which means my mod will never be fully compatible with other mods that change combat. Since I changed parts of the database files that would conflict with the other combat overhaul mods, I decided to update everything so you basically get the best of both worlds.
    Some of the database files I changed that are not directly related to naval combat still affect them. For example the boarding changes in the naval battles are somewhat dependent on the land changes. If for example you only use my naval part combined with Radious' combat mod, boarding will be faster than I intended, and ships will no longer try to retreat after suffering heavy casualties (since Radious pretty much locked morale in naval battles)

So I'd recommend giving my mod a try as it is intended. However for those of you that prefer the land battles in Radious or any of the other combat overhaul mods, I will release a stand-alone naval file later today Note that the naval changes are in the same database file that tweaks movement speed, so if you use my naval changes + the Radious' mod, you will have to remove the battle_entities file from Radious. Because of this, your units will use my speeds (but those speeds are very similar to those in Radious)

I just deleted anything in Radious' mod that conflicted with this one to make them compatible and the battles are actually really good now. My units hold formation REALLY well and don't blob up at all. Great work!
    Thanks!

Nice changes. :-) You may want to update the title so people know your mod does a lot for land battles as well. In what ways did you tweak accuracy?
    Accuracy has been reduced. Essentially, combined with the other changes basic slingers and archers have had their killing power significantly reduced compared to vanilla, and are especially ineffective against armoured targets with shields. Expect to only kill 0/1/2 enemy soldiers per volley firing at a hoplite phalanx from max range head on. However, units under fire take a more significant morale penalty, and at short range or when your missile units outflank units, they become much more deadly.
    Aeimnestus was a Spartan, famous because he killed the Persian General Mardonius at the battle of Plataea.

Default Re: Aeimnestus Ancient Naval Warfare & Realistic Combat mod

Thank you for the clarification. I will try out your mod without Radious' Battle Mod and compare. With the information you provided I will easily merge or tweak both mods if necessary, but we'll see. Keep up the good work and I look forward to any updates!

Version 1.1 is out.

Changelog 1.1

- Further tweaked missile stats for more realistic ranged combat. Slings, arrows and javelins were nerfed too much in my original version. Now they have regained some killing power though they still are nowhere near as deadly as in the vanilla game. Original post updated with the new file. I have also included the ships (and movement speed)-only file as a separate download.

Edit: I am unable to upload the new changes for the time being with how crappy this forum behaves.
    Edit 2: I have managed to upload the new changes + a standalone ship file.
    Last edited by Aeimnestus; September 10, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
    Aeimnestus was a Spartan, famous because he killed the Persian General Mardonius at the battle of Plataea.

Ah the forums behave once again. The Original Post has been updated (and reformatted into a readable piece rather than a wall of text), and also includes a link to just the naval/ship changes.

Edit: double post by mistake. Sorry.
    Last edited by Aeimnestus; September 10, 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Ah the forums behave once again. The Original Post has been updated (and reformatted into a readable piece rather than a wall of text), and also includes a link to just the naval/ship changes.

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack1348 View Post
    I just deleted anything in Radious' mod that conflicted with this one to make them compatible and the battles are actually really good now. My units hold formation REALLY well and don't blob up at all. Great work!

Just download the PFM and open radious' pack and this one and compare the two and delete anything in radious' pack that conflicts. It's really easy. Or delete anything in this one that conflicts with radious'. Probably doesn't matter that much to be honest.
    Can you please upload your .pak file for us?

Compatible with the no magicalabilities mod? Can't imagine playing a "realism mod" with horse archers who shoot flaming arrows

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

Thank you! Was hoping someone would start tweaking the naval side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by DCyDe View Post
    Compatible with the no magicalabilities mod? Can't imagine playing a "realism mod" with horse archers who shoot flaming arrows
    Should be, It doesn't modify any abilities that I can see looking at it.

Best battle mod so far.

Some feedback: It seems that you made ranged units OPed. If you bring 4-6 slingers/archers and continuously focus fire on one unit after the other for multiple consecutive volleys, you can killrout entire columns very quickly while the lines have not even touched.

The range increase is good, but does it also mean more killing power at now "medium range"? The damage scaling is somewhat linear. Maybe that's why. The musket effectiveness of slingers is now even further out.. ^^

I might be wrong though, I only tried 2 battles. GJ on everything else though!
    Last edited by Ritterlichvon86; September 11, 2013 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritterlichvon86 View Post
    Some feedback: It seems that you made ranged units OPed. If you bring 4-6 slingers/archers and continuously focus fire on one unit after the other for multiple consecutive volleys, you can killrout entire columns very quickly while the lines have not even touched.The range increase is good, but does it also mean more killing power at now "medium range"? The damage scaling is somewhat linear. Maybe that's why. The musket effectiveness of slingers is now even further out.. ^^I might be wrong though, I only tried 2 battles. GJ on everything else though!
    Yeah, the range troops are still to op ( I like the idea of moral penalties opposed to outright slaughter they do now). Other then that, this is my favorite mod. Great Job. With my other mods I actually am really enjoying playing this game. All is left for me is fixing the bai and I will be a happy camper. Oh and the battle animations, I rarely see men getting killed. I hope someone can fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritterlichvon86 View Post
    Some feedback: It seems that you made ranged units OPed. If you bring 4-6 slingers/archers and continuously focus fire on one unit after the other for multiple consecutive volleys, you can killrout entire columns very quickly while the lines have not even touched.

The range increase is good, but does it also mean more killing power at now "medium range"? The damage scaling is somewhat linear. Maybe that's why. The musket effectiveness of slingers is now even further out.. ^^

I might be wrong though, I only tried 2 battles. GJ on everything else though!

Thanks for your feedback. I will look into it and test ranged killing power some further.

HaveFallen's Avatar Centenarius
    In this Island, surrounded by water. Guam!

I believe this is the best battle related mod. I may be biased since I lean towards historical material. Is this save game compatible?
    If I can't cheat, how will I get through school???

Senator

ive tried all the rest and i have to agree this one is the best.

I agree, this is the best. But I don't think all the skirmishing weapons are OP, just the slingers. Bows still pretty weak in my opinion.

Does difficulty level change units stats, or just their moral level ? I refer to vanilla game and if this mod is going to touch upon that in the future ?

And yes, so far I have to agree, this is the best battle mod so far. I also hope you wont touch horses speed, unless to make it realistic, cause Ive seen too many mods lower their speed, just to balance them to light infantry. It becomes snail horses.....

AbeS17's Avatar Foederatus

Very nice battle mod. I haven't tried naval battles yet but land battles are the best so far. I just had the longest battle ever in Rome II:

I've still didn't check how missile units are doing, but so far i'm very pleased

HELLO! Just wanted to say that this is the absolute best battle mod YET! It is great finally seeing my Roman legions have a realistic formation and not blobbing! Thanks and keep up the great work, cant wait for the next update!