Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth upgrading to Legionaries?

Default Is it worth upgrading to Legionaries?

For like Triarii and Principes? I can see the hastati are definitively a win, but the Principes not so much. I think the Triarii are a big loss because their defense is super high.

Default Re: Is it worth upgrading to Legionaries?

What do you all think? Is it better to keep your Triarii and Principales around or upgrade them? (Assuming you have cash to spare and that you can't go back)

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Why would you want to have Polybian units around when you've got Marian, and later troops? It doesn't make sense.

I would upgrade if I was you.

I just leapfrogged right over them to the Legionaires. The cool unit so far though seems to be the gladiators. And the return of the wardogs is nice also.
    "oooh a gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight, sky is starlit and the time is right. Now you're telling me you have to go...before you do there's something you should know." - Bob Seger

Freedom is the distance between church and state.

it doesn't even cost anything to upgrade :p

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

Of course it cost to upgrade! A few hundred bucks for units, but it cost.

Also I run straight foward to legionaries. I not even had principes and triarii when I upgraded my hastati. I feel it pretty OP, by the way. I'm crushing larger dump AI armies at easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazgrent View Post
    Why would you want to have Polybian units around when you've got Marian, and later troops? It doesn't make sense.

For the same experience level, the Princeps seems to have better stats than the Legionnaires. Also, it appears the Triarius has a much higher defense than even the Praetorianus.

Yeah but triarii have spears and spears are not so good in Rome 2.

Even basic sword infantry are better to have than most spearmen. Hoplites get absolutely creamed by any unit with a sword.

Later Roman legionaries were effectively modelled around the Principes (though in reality the Principes themselves were originally armed with spears just like the Triarii, so the Principes were in themselves modelled after the Hastati!).

But enough history: Triarii are spearmen, so unless you have no need for spearmen, then the answer is you only should upgrade all sword units to the better sword unit.

Plus, Triarii are the cool dudes of the legion, why change them to the poser legionaries?!

Without the triarii you don't have any spearmen, so fighting armies with good cavalry (Parthians, Seleucids??) should be a little more difficult unless you can counter the cavalry some other way e.g. good shooting or your own cavalry.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

What's the point in upgrading anything when all you fight is armies of 50-70% slingers and skirmishers with the rest being levy troops of some type.

@Kinjo

So you can roflstomp the poor ai even more.
    炸鸡

Quote Originally Posted by Sitalkes View Post
    Without the triarii you don't have any spearmen, so fighting armies with good cavalry (Parthians, Seleucids??) should be a little more difficult unless you can counter the cavalry some other way e.g. good shooting or your own cavalry.
    You do if you get the spear auxillia. There not as good but there available

UPGRADE! You can destroy any army with a full legionaries build.
    What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
    Julius Caesar

Deathcake's Avatar Tiro

Also just regarding spearmen after switching to legionaires, you can get gladiator spearman that seem to have crazy defense values (haven't used any yet), along with plain gladiators who have crazy attack values (not used these yet either). Why the heck are gladiators of any sort equipped better than legionaires.. discussion for another time and thread.

I just had a battle in which a single unit of Praetorians killed 1500 men that tried to storm through a city gate... they lost like 20 men though. If they were just legionaries It might have taken two units!

Seriously. Romans are crazy op in this game. They shield themselves against everything, destroy elephants with the pillum and are stomping everything in close combat.
    My signature is running from the battlefield. A SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!

I guess I don't understand how less defense and more armor actually makes them better:

Quote Originally Posted by Profound View Post
    I guess I don't understand how less defense and more armor actually makes them better:

Anyone?

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Not much difference as far I can see. I'd upgrade just for the uniformity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast