Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fatal Graphics Error On Startup

Default Re: Fatal Graphics Error On Startup

so what happens now? do i get a refund or something?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

nup. i tried that before.

In Catalyst Control Center, do you have the game set to "Application controlled"?

well, i dont know if that worked but now im getting another error...

It says Medieval 2 suffered a fatl error and will now exit.

At the top it says CA_LIBS

CA_LIBS is a bad install. It can be anything from a bad file to a bad pack.

The only cure is a clean install.

ive re-installed it so many times...

Well, you keep coming up missing something. How much other stuff dod you do while installing? I leave the room until done.

well, that didnt work either.

You have something messing with it.
    Slow connection, multitasking, background programs, antivirus conflicts, firewall conflicts, Windows updater, Adobe updater, antivirus updater, antivirus scan, Windows Live, old MSN, mIRC, the list keeps growing.
    You really do have something conflicting.

Hey George Ive been having this same problem and after a day and a half of no sleep i finally figured out it was my on-screen display for my framerate MSI Afterburner! as soon as i shut it off it loaded no problem

Icon6 Re: Fatal Graphics Error On Startup

searched the web for hours and all that would run it, was using compatibility mode in shortcut properties. Yet that only played game in left hand corner window mode. So I read about lowering settings in the CFG file in steam/steamapps/common/Medievil II Total War. That did not help either, BUT raising them to 1920 1080 did!. Open the CFG file with notepad and look for campaign_resolution and change it to 1920 1080 and save. Clicked my exe and viola!. I was borderline ready to ask steam for a refund until I figured it out. Hope this helps guys, because I feel you pain.

Edit:This must also be done for battle_resolution. So to recap right click Steam and choose open file location. Once there go to steamapps/common/Medievil Total War II and look for a file medieval2.preference and open this with notepad. Look down the line until you see battle_resolution and change that to 1920 1080 or whatever your screen resolution is set at on your screen. Then under that look for campaign_resolution change that as well. My game has run flawlessly since (3hrs tested). Good Luck
    Nuke

Was there ever a solution found for this? I'm running into the same issue.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Are you using MSI Afterburner (#31) - switch it off
    Set your game resolution to 1024*768 in the CFG file (#32) - easiest way is to install my desktop short cuts and then edit any of the campaign's CFG file, use Notepad and remove the hash in front of the line. Then start that campaign.

TW Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Heinrichus View Post
    Was there ever a solution found for this? I'm running into the same issue.
    Hi there Heinrichus, I didn't want to clutter your steam thread, but that advice that dude is giving you is just rubbish.

He's saying things in ways that people who do know tech, simply don't say, and his advice for reinstalling windows is junk.

Please try the suggestions in this thread first.

If you do need to reinstall windows, ask here.

edit: I'm making a educated guess that this is you

Fatal Graphics Error on Startup. I have tried just about EVERYTHING. :: Total War: MEDIEVAL II - Definitive Edition General Discussions (steamcommunity.com)

I just really hope you haven't followed his advice. I responded as soon as I noticed it, but I'm concerned by the "offline" status.
    Last edited by bigfootedfred; April 08, 2021 at 07:37 AM. Reason: correction

Blog Entries

No-one here is advocating re-installing windows. Nor did Heinrichus mention the Steam link where it was done.
    If you are concerned about it then I suggest using private messaging as it will notify the user as soon as he comes back online.

TW Bigfoot

I am concerned yeah, but not from anything written on this place. Apologies for the confusion.
    The steam user mentioned he came here, I managed to get back into my old account and came looking.
    A user gave him a very long list of instructions for "reinstalling windows" with a very long winded method that he could get wrong :/
    He's been offline on steam since, and I grew concerned about it.

-big

Blog Entries

Re-installing windows is a pretty drastic step to get a game going. But then it wouldn't be the first time that a windows update plays havoc with Total War - see the protection issue I mentioned in the Steam thread.
    Resetting to factory setting is worth a try though if all else fails. I usually run the DISM command with admin privileges if I come across stuff like that, beats me why I haven't mentioned it. Underneath the content of the BAT file I am using for it, simply right clicking it and choosing 'run as admin' gets it going. Kept the link in case I forget what it's all about
    Code:
    @echo off
    rem http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image
    rem requires 'run as admin'
    cd c:\windows\system32
    rem DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    rem DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    pause
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 08, 2021 at 10:59 PM.

I just encountered this issue yesterday, even though i played a few days before.

I tried running in compatibility mode for all the versions of windows. Literally all of them. None worked.

But what DID work, was to update windows and reboot. I have no idea why or how, but I have noticed earlier that when my windows is "work in progress" during an update process, I get weird behavious from my graphics processor. A few months ago when i was updating windows, I was unable to right click the desktop background and select "Display Settings", as it came up with an error message. It was fixed as well after the update was done and i rebooted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12