Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arcade graphical effects removal

Default Arcade graphical effects removal

This mod aims to remove the following graphical effects:

IN THE CAMPAIGN MAP

- The floating hammers in the campaign map

- The light around armies and agents when you select them in the campaign map.

- The light above cities when you select them in the campaign map.

- The wind around units in forced march

- The confetti when edicts are activated

- The coins around armies/navies when they are raiding

- The clouds around navies when they are patrolling the sea

- The red light around armies suffering attrition (the skull icon was not removed).

- The dust that appears in the cities during constructions.

- The previous version of the mod doesn't allow the player to easily find navies raiding trade routes and armies in forced march. Because of that, I decided to add new icons to signal these situations. The new icons were inspired in the ambush and desertion icons to make them "fit" in the game

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

IN BATTLES:

- The symbol that appears above units when soldiers gain experience during a fight

- The symbol that appears above units when an ability is activated.

- the graphical effect above capture points when they are being conquered.

-The glow that appears around the flag of selected units

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

How to install

1- download the mod (https://www.sendspace.com/file/uo10f2)
    2- paste the files in the Total War: Rome II data folder (C:\...\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\data)
    3- Run the laucher and activate the mod
    Last edited by Boicote; September 19, 2018 at 10:38 AM.

Default Re: Arcade graphical effects removal

Thank you so much. I would rep you so much, but the damn forum is too buggy. Kinda like Rome II.
    Last edited by Augustus Scipius; September 06, 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks a lot, I was wondering how to do this.

Baleur's Avatar Biarchus

Can you remove the awful Forced March swirly super-wind-magic effect on the campaign map too?
    And is it possible to remove the on-mouse-hover highlight on units in the battle map? You know, how units light up when you hover your mouse over them? (keeping them lit up when selected might be good though, since it helps show which u have selected if you play with selection markers off).
    But the hover highlight is annoying as hell when you're watching a battle.

Bento's Avatar Tiro

Excellent, wonderful, thank you so much for discovering and eliminating this. I couldn't believe it when I first ran the game and every time I selected someone it was like he was being taken up to heaven or something.Concur with Baleur about the unit highlights, but understand if it can't be done (yet).

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

You, Boicote sir, knows how TW games should be done. Nice work!

Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Baleur
    Can you remove the awful Forced March swirly super-wind-magic effect on the campaign map too?
    And is it possible to remove the on-mouse-hover highlight on units in the battle map? You know, how units light up when you hover your mouse over them? (keeping them lit up when selected might be good though, since it helps show which u have selected if you play with selection markers off).
    But the hover highlight is annoying as hell when you're watching a battle.
    In theory, to remove the Forced March swirly wind I would have to mod the “ui_vfx_2xtime_army.xml” file (for armies) and the “ui_vfx_2xtime_navy.xml file” (for navies). To remove the unit highlights I would have to change the “ui_vfx_mouse_over_glow.xml” file. But unfortunately I only managed to remove the Forced March swirly wind in navies (by modding the “ui_vfx_2xtime_navy.xml”). No matter what I do, the game ignores my changes in the other two files. I’m not sure if I did something wrong OR the Pack File Manager is not yet fully upgraded to create mods OR the game is not able to recognize changes in these files.
    See for yourself : http://www.sendspace.com/file/vdjpbc (download the file and paste it in the data folder).
    Last edited by Boicote; September 06, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

Bento's Avatar Tiro

Oh I noticed ( much more obvious now I guess ), that settlements still glow. But hey, I'm grateful for what you've already done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bento
    Oh I noticed ( much more obvious now I guess ), that settlements still glow. But hey, I'm grateful for what you've already done.
    You mean...those bizarre arrows pointing to the sky above the capture points? Not anymore . The version 1.1 is now available and it removes this graphical effect: http://www.sendspace.com/file/loisl6

Sounds like you might be the man to ask about this. I've turned off the yellow 'selection' circles as I think the game looks much nicer without them. Trouble is, that can make it tough to see which units you've selected. Do you reckon you might be able to make the 'glow' around the unit's flag brighter so it stands out more? Cheers and keep up the good work!
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default Re: Arcade graphical effects removal v1.1

Nice work.

Please Gods, someone get rid of those bright red cartoon icons floating above towers, capture points and gates all over every battlefield. They are horrible!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    Nice work.

Please Gods, someone get rid of those bright red cartoon icons floating above towers, capture points and gates all over every battlefield. They are horrible!!!!
    Agree totally with this. they look so out of place. Nice work Boicote, hopefully you can remove the battlefield mouse-over glow and selection glow in the future.

Baleur's Avatar Biarchus

Cant you just remove those capture point icons by turning off the last setting in battle interface settings? (i never tried)

Oh and yeah as someone else said, is the glow effect when selecting cities on the campaign map also gone, as the glow from armies was removed?

I never understood the whole Civ 5 glow-glow-GLOW-EVERYTHING "fashion" in strategy games today.
    It's like, what is it even supposed to do? Help new players see points of interest? But the points of interest are things you already clicked on..
    You know, with your mouse cursor, you already clicked on that army or city... So obviously you already know Where it is.. Which renders the glow pointless.
    It would make more sense if every city or army besides the one you selected would glow, since you don't already know Their location, since you didn't click on them yet.

But of course that would be even more obnoxious. Sometimes i just wonder what certain game devs have on their mind.
    "Let's add a glow effect so players have an easier time seeing what they selected, after they already found the army and settlement and clicked on it."
    Because assuming that your players are intelligent enough to know what they clicked on would be too much to ask.
    Last edited by Baleur; September 07, 2013 at 02:27 AM.

The new version of this mod is now available to download. This update removes the (ugly) glow around flags of selected units. Now the flag look like those in Rome 1 .

Sounds like you might be the man to ask about this. I've turned off the yellow 'selection' circles as I think the game looks much nicer without them. Trouble is, that can make it tough to see which units you've selected. Do you reckon you might be able to make the 'glow' around the unit's flag brighter so it stands out more? Cheers and keep up the good work!
    Well… I just removed them in the new version (1.2) of this mod .
    It’s quite simple to remove the glow, but I don’t know yet how to increase its bright .
    I’ve also turned off the yellow circles and I have no problems to see what was the unit I selected. Perhaps you will also get used to it .

Nice work.

I’m working on this but I'm not sure if I can remove those icons...

I never understood the whole Civ 5 glow-glow-GLOW-EVERYTHING "fashion" in strategy games today.
    It's like, what is it even supposed to do? Help new players see points of interest? But the points of interest are things you already clicked on..
    You know, with your mouse cursor, you already clicked on that army or city... So obviously you already know Where it is.. Which renders the glow pointless.
    It would make more sense if every city or army besides the one you selected would glow, since you don't already know Their location, since you didn't click on them yet.

But of course that would be even more obnoxious. Sometimes i just wonder what certain game devs have on their mind.
    "Let's add a glow effect so players have an easier time seeing what they selected, after they already found the army and settlement and clicked on it."
    Because assuming that your players are intelligent enough to know what they clicked on would be too much to ask.
    That's so True.
    They should give us the option to turn on/off the glow in the option menu. This way, they would please everyone who like and dislike this feature.

Double post.
    This forum is sooooooooooooooo slow.
    Last edited by Boicote; September 07, 2013 at 02:35 PM.

I say Bravo ! Those features were among the most annoying

I won't be using this mod, but I'm quite curious; are you playing on low settings?

Default Re: Arcade graphical effects removal v1.2

Quote Originally Posted by theDaedricPrince
    I won't be using this mod, but I'm quite curious; are you playing on low settings?
    Yes, I'm . My computer is old...

How do you get rid of the red glow effect when selecting army,navy or cities on campaign map, but make it where its just a red line with no glow in the middle? That glow lag my game very badly. eagle

Hey I specificly made an account just to ask you how you got your graphics so low. Im using a comp thats below minimum and am wondering how you did that because it doesnt look like the default low settings. (Sorry if that doesnt make any since)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast