View Poll Results: Should I transform this mod into an Army Overhaul, or keep it in its original design?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Army Overhaul

27 55.10%
  • Original Design

22 44.90%
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Splenyi's Project - Realistic Names (v1.0 Released 15/04/2015)

Foederatus
    Habiate qui dicitur Grassus (Mediolanum) - Gallia Cisalpina

Default Re: Splenyi' Realistic Unit Names (yes, names can be realistic too!)

Great Thread Splenyi
    I'm excited

Here some consideration:

° - First of all the LEGATUS: In the Ancient rome was LEGATUS LEGIONIS --> In the 27 BC change in LEGATUS AUGUSTI PRO PRAETORE
    ° - Praetorian Guard --> Doesn't exist this name ! Founded by Augusto in the 27 BC as COHORTES PRAETORIAE

The COHORTES PRAETORIAE was used only as General and Imperator bodyguard, then also as militar police...

The Praetorians Cavalry was --> EQUITES SINGULARES

More to come...
    Aliena vitia in oculis habemus, a tergo nostra sunt (Abbiamo davanti agli occhi i vizi degli altri, mentre i nostri ci stanno dietro) - Seneca

Foederatus

Great Thread Splenyi
    I'm excited

Here some consideration:

° - First of all the LEGATUS: In the Ancient rome was LEGATUS LEGIONIS --> In the 27 BC change in LEGATUS AUGUSTI PRO PRAETORE
    ° - Praetorian Guard --> Doesn't exist this name ! Founded by Augusto in the 27 BC as COHORTES PRAETORIAE

The COHORTES PRAETORIAE was used only as General and Imperator bodyguard, then also as militar police...

The Praetorians Cavalry was --> EQUITES SINGULARES

More to come...
    Aliena vitia in oculis habemus, a tergo nostra sunt (Abbiamo davanti agli occhi i vizi degli altri, mentre i nostri ci stanno dietro) - Seneca

Foederatus

Auxiliary Bactrian Hillmen --> Auxilia Bactri Montanus Homini

Can be also good to use the first persina name of the Bactria, that was Bākhtar

Foederatus

Auxiliary Bactrian Hillmen --> Auxilia Bactri Montanus Homini

Can be also good to use the first persina name of the Bactria, that was Bākhtar

Thanks for this project, just some insight on the Latin stuff. I had 7 years of Latin in school, although it's quite rusty now. Some more recent latin crack might correct me on some details.

Legionaries > Legionaris
    The nominative plural is "Legionarii" so you should change it to that ( http://www.albertmartin.de/latein/vo...01/legionarius )

Eagle Cohort > Cohors Aquila
    You're using two nominatives there, which was not used in Latin. Rather use "Cohors Aquliae", meaning "The Cohort of the Eagle".

Evocati Cohort > Cohors Evocata
    Evocati is the nominative plural of evocatus. Thus evocatus is using the male "o" declination. There is no evocata in that declination.

Better use genitive for evocatus again, here the plural fits better: Cohors Evocatorum (meaning "the cohort of the evocati)

Gladiator Spearmen > Hastati Gladiatores
    Hastati is a definition of its own. Better use "Gladiatores Hastarum", meaning gladiators of speers.

An even better choice may be "Gladiatores hastis", meaning gladiators with spears (using ablative).

Legionary Cavalry > Equites Legionaris
    This should be changed to Equites Legionis (Riders of the Legion)

Great mod ! I'll try to help with my latin and possibly my greek.

do I want Hoplitarum Graecum ?
    No, you don't it's cohors hoplitum graecorum, though hoplitum graecorum does really suck to hear it in latin (hoplites ex graecia sounds waaay better). Also, as far as I remember from my (pretty extensive) readings, romans never used the words cohors and ala (not sure about the late, mind you) when referring to auxiliary troops. Roman writers never say "Caesar sent a cohors of auxiliary archers", but simply "Caesar sent some/many/any-number-you-wish of auxiliary archers".
    Cohors sagittariorum cretensis is wrong, just use sagittarii cretensis and so on (equites civitatis/civitatum, for example).

Auxiliary Thureos Spears > Cohors Lanciariorum Scutariorum (or Thyreophoriorum)
    Thireophoriorum is the best; it was very common to latinize greek words, otherwise the translation it's a bit ridicolous. For example the greek hoplitai literally means "scutarii" in latin, but no roman would ever call them that way; they just took the greek word and pronounced it differently according to their tastes, hence hoplites (be careful, hoplites is both singular and plural here).

Just a few more things for the Italians in Latin; Nobles (eg. Noble Cavalry), Mercenary (eg. Mercenary Spearmen) and Italian (nationality, eg. Italian Spearmen).

Italian is italicus; noble may be translated as nobilis if we want to stick to a similar word, but it's not very proper. Mercenary, hell, that's difficult: in ancient times they didn't the same concept as we have; mercenarius was referred to any paid soldier, therefore even to standard soldiers.
    Last edited by Sephiroth91; September 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
    In 'ur base, killing 'ur dudes.

Foederatus

Auxiliary Spear Brothers --> Auxilia Fratres Hastae

I think also that probably, we need to put Auxilia or Auxiliorum at the end not before (es. Fratres Hastae Auxilia/Auxiliorum)

Better if someone that studied latin, can illuminte me

Foederatus

Auxiliary Spear Brothers --> Auxilia Fratres Hastae

I think also that probably, we need to put Auxilia or Auxiliorum at the end not before (es. Fratres Hastae Auxilia/Auxiliorum)

Better if someone that studied latin, can illuminte me

ok, here come the grammar nazis...
    a) I suggested Hoplitarum Graecorum, since I believe that the latin rendition of the greek word Hoplitηs is actually Hoplit-a (ergo plural genitive masculine Hoplitarum), just as the greek word Nautηs (a sailor) is rendered in latin as Naut-a (as in Astro-nauta, Cosmo-nauta for our Italian friends).
    Therefore the correct form in this case is: Hoplitarum Graec-orum (-orum being the suffix for masculine genitive plural for first declension nouns)

b) no idea right now about those *most dear* Illyrians

c) Nobles - yes nobilis means one noble (man or woman), but I think in this case it's better to say Equites Optimi since their class (the aristocrats) were the Optimi (therefore the Optimates in the civil war)

d) mercenary - ok mercenarii, but I've also seen the term milites conducti (led soldiers)... don't know for sure which is better

e) Italian - in this case you're looking for the adjective Italicus/Italici (nominative masculine singular/plural).

f) COHORTES PRAETORIAE, EQUITES SINGULARES - I think these are the most accurate terms... but then again CA gave you two units of praetorians to name!

g) Auxilia Bactri Montanus Homini - grammar nazi mode:
    to start with Auxilia=nominative neuter plural
    Bactri=could be taken to be a shorthand version of Bactrii, which is the same for "singular male genitive" AND "plural nominative male" (from one male Bactrius)
    Montanus=don't think this applies exactly - it's a form I've only seen as a sort-of-adjective used by middle-ages people who latinized their names, esp. those who had the -berg in their surnames... ergo Koenigsberg=>Regio-montanus (a philosopher/humanist of the 16th century)
    Homini=dative/ablative singular (don't laugh but nominative is Homo, genitive Hominis) - ergo Homo Homini Lupus (man is to man a wolf!)
    altogether not applicable for many reasons
    NOTE: sorry about that - I don't mean to belittle your input, I'm just trying to be accurate

h) Legionaries > Legionaris = correct! The form we want is Legionarii (from one Legionarius). Legionaris is an adjective (eg Aquila Legionaris, a legionary standard)

Eagle Cohort > Cohors Aquila = correct again! Cohors Aquilae (of the eagle)... only I think that it should be Cohors Prima which always carried the eagle. On the other hand, with CA just cramming in units... oh well

Evocati Cohort > Cohors Evocata = not sure what you mean... a Cohors is feminine, therefore, she's an Evocata. Now a legionary is a male, therefore he's an Evocatus. A Cohors Evocatorum is ok I suppose (a cohorts of many Evocati men)

Gladiator Spearmen > Hastati Gladiatores = I agree with the translation "Gladiatores Hastarum", meaning gladiators of speers, but unfortunately it doesn't make sense in latin... in fact the term Gladiatores Hastati suits this one better because it means "spear-armed Gladiators" which is what (I believe) CA is trying to say by Gladiator Spearmen (of course, the only gladiator carrying a proper spear into the arena would be called an Hoplomachus - another word for Hoplita, again directly from greek)

Legionary Cavalry > Equites Legionaris = Equites Legionis is a correct translation... only that the actual term used was Equites Alares

i) "romans never used the words cohors and ala (not sure about the late, mind you) when referring to auxiliary troops" - a cohors and an ala were the combat unit organization terms used in the Roman army. If you were a member of the Roman army and had to fit into the Roman OOB, you'd be designated a cohors or an ala, led by centurions (citizens vs non-citizen troops). The only difference was that you'd be paid about half as much as a Legion (only citizen troops) cohors or ala.
    Ergo it's correct to say Cohors sagittariorum Cretens-ium (of many Cretans, cretensis is one cretan)

A couple of historical regiments of Auxiliaries: Ala I Hispanorum Aravacorum, Cohors I Flavia Canathenorum sagittariorum, Cohors I Asturum equitata, etc

j) Thireophoriorum is actually worse - a Scutum was what Romans called the oval shield that the Thyreophoroi carried... the basic Gallic design being adopted by both the Romans and the Greeks. By the Imperial era they just distringuished between the Scutum Ovale (oval) and the Scutum Quadratum (the well know rectangular shield).
    The Argive Aspis was actually called a Clipeus in latin, ergo the native word for a hoplite would be Clipeatus.

k) "Italian is italicus; noble may be translated as nobilis if we want to stick to a similar word, but it's not very proper. Mercenary, hell, that's difficult: in ancient times they didn't the same concept as we have; mercenarius was referred to any paid soldier, therefore even to standard soldiers. "

correct for Italicus and Nobilis and how the latter isn't very appropriate - so see above. For mercenary see above - in later times mercenaries were called Solidati (one Solidatus), because they were paid in golden solidi - hence soldato and via french into english soldiers. Obviously the term isn't appropriate for a time when the Roman currency was the silver denarius (instead of the late Roman gold solidus).

l) Auxiliary Spear Brothers --> Auxilia Fratres Hastae
    again problematic inasmuch as noun and adjectives need to be of the same case and number... also the hastae doesn't make sense - a Roman would say brothers of the spear (well, maybe as a slang term in a vulgar context, but not officially).
    It would be Fratres Auxiliares Hastati (to denote that they're armed with a spear). But best to keep with what we already have.

m) Auxilia or Auxiliorum - again trying to be accurate and hopefully educate... neuter plural Auxilia (singular Auxilium) in nominative becomes Auxiliarum in genitive plural. Confusingly the same form Auxiliarum applies to male plural genitive of Auxiliaris (one auxiliary man).
    There are many such cases, distinguished by context alone...

I suggested Hoplitarum Graecorum, since I believe that the latin rendition of the greek word Hoplitηs is actually Hoplit-a (ergo plural genitive masculine Hoplitarum), just as the greek word Nautηs (a sailor) is rendered in latin as Naut-a (as in Astro-nauta, Cosmo-nauta for our Italian friends).
    As far as I remember actually it was hoplites, male 3rd declension since an hypothetical hoplita,-ae should belong to the 1st declension, and I'm sure I never saw it among the 1st declension male nouns such as nauta or poeta. But my memories could be wrong.

"romans never used the words cohors and ala (not sure about the late, mind you) when referring to auxiliary troops" - a cohors and an ala were the combat unit organization terms used in the Roman army. If you were a member of the Roman army and had to fit into the Roman OOB, you'd be designated a cohors or an ala, led by centurions (citizens vs non-citizen troops). The only difference was that you'd be paid about half as much as a Legion (only citizen troops) cohors or ala.
    Ergo it's correct to say Cohors sagittariorum Cretens-ium (of many Cretans, cretensis is one cretan)

A couple of historical regiments of Auxiliaries: Ala I Hispanorum Aravacorum, Cohors I Flavia Canathenorum sagittariorum, Cohors I Asturum equitata, etc
    My fault about cretensis/cretensium, I admit; but the regiments you list are all from the imperial era, Hadrian's time if I'm not wrong, while the game (and me) refers to the Republic. It's a bit like the solidus argument. And unless my memory is badly mistaken I've never read about auxiliary cohortes in Livius nor in Caesar or Sallustius (but maybe an auxiliary ala yes, that I cannot exclude).

in later times mercenaries were called Solidati (one Solidatus), because they were paid in golden solidi

The solidus was created by Diocletianus, if I recall correctly.

Thireophoriorum is actually worse - a Scutum was what Romans called the oval shield that the Thyreophoroi carried... the basic Gallic design being adopted by both the Romans and the Greeks. By the Imperial era they just distringuished between the Scutum Ovale (oval) and the Scutum Quadratum (the well know rectangular shield).
    The Argive Aspis was actually called a Clipeus in latin, ergo the native word for a hoplite would be Clipeatus.
    Ok, right, the clipeus, my fault again, it's been years since I last checked my latin. But still, we're talking about the Republic and not the Empire, and I still think Thireophoriorum (we can discuss how to spell it, however) it's still better than scutarii.

A Cohors Evocatorum is ok I suppose
    I agree here.

EDIT You got me into a crisis about the hoplita/hoplites matter, I don't know what to say anymore about it. Still, it's necessary to add graecorum/ex graecia ? We already know from where the hoplites are, I think we can skip that.
    Last edited by Sephiroth91; September 12, 2013 at 04:51 PM.
    In 'ur base, killing 'ur dudes.

Units names for Arverni in Gaulish language. (literal translation)

General / chieftain:

Noble Horse - Cingetorix Epatos ( Cingetorix = Chief Warriors / Epatha = Cavalry )

oathsworn - Cingetorix Cingo ( Cingetorix = Chief Warriors / Cingo = Afoot )

Spear Noble - Corionos Cingo ( Corionos = Military Leader / Epatos = On Horseback )

Units (Arverni):

cel_oathsworn - Catuiros Couiros

cel_spear_nobles - Adgenios Lancia

cel_naked_warriors - Catuiros An-Aremerto

cel_warriors - Catuiros Calgo

cel_spear_warriors - Catuiros Lancia

cel_levy_freemen - Corio Arios

cel_skirm - Corio Gaballacos

cel_youths - Corio Jovincos Gaballacos

cel_slingers - Corio Telamon

cel_noble_horse - Epatha Adgenios

cel_heavy_horse - Epatha Ordos

cel_light_horse - Epatha Scammos

cel_savage_dogs - Corio Cunos Vidios

Other Units (cel_):

cel_axe_warriors - Catuiros Touga

cel_naked_swords - Corio An-Aremerto Calgo

cel_short_swords - Corio Cladios

cel_tribesmen - Corio Viros Teuta

cel_bowmen - Corio Togi

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Sephiroth91 - thanks for coming and helping us out but the main problem that seems to be about is correctly naming the auxilia for whatever time period. So just to make it easier, we should do it on Imperial times, because "auxilia" rarely existed before then, they were usually something else.

L'Aigle - thanks for all that can I ask what book you've taken these from, and what time period and area the language is based?

justme - thanks again for your amazing help, what would I do with you.

EDIT: Do you think we could rename the Gladiator units as just plainly "Hoplomachus" and "Murmillo"? Do you think it's necessary to put "Gladiatores" in with that, or do the former titles define it enough already?
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; September 12, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

OK I've updated the OP with all current names, but I know some will probably be wrong because I changed the names a bit (some were still ridiculous)
    - I haven't put Celtic names in yet L'Aigle
    - The rest of Baktria's units are eastern, so only the guard is in Greek (they get other Greek units, like in the general "Greek" part).
    - Still have nothing for the Auxilia Illyrian Levy
    - Should I call the Seleucid "Agema Cavalry" as "Agematos" or plainly "Agema"?
    - CA's Legionary unit design for Rome is odd.... first it develops into units with just "Legionary" as their title, then the next stage of military development has "Legionary Cohort" as their title... I'm not sure what to do.
    - I'd like to do the Iberian units in Latin too, because that's how most people are familiar with them, it just seems to make sense to me.
    - No names for the Gladiators yet either, read my above post for my thoughts on them.

This is all the current names done, in Latin and Greek. Feel free to go full Grammar Nazi mode on me I really want this to be as accurate as possible.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Aet
    • Aethiopian Cavalry > Aithiopes Hippeis
    • Swordsmen > Aithiopes Makhairaphoroi

Aux
    • Afr
      • Auxiliary Sabean Archers > Cohors Sagittariorum Sabaeorum
      • Auxiliary Sabean Cavalry > Ala Equitum Sabaeorum
      • Auxiliary African Elephants > Elephantes Africani
      • Auxiliary Sabean Spearmen > Cohors Lanciariorum Sabaeorum

• Ara
      • Auxiliary Camel Archers > Ala Sagittariorum Dromedariorum
      • Auxiliary Camel Spearmen > Ala Lanciariorum Dromedariorum
      • Auxiliary Arabian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Arabum
      • Auxiliary Arabian Spearmen > Cohors Lanciariorum Arabum

• Bac
      • Auxiliary Bactrian Hillmen > Cohors Lanciariorum Bactriorum
      • Auxiliary Bactrian Light Horse > Ala Equitum Levum Bactriorum

• Bri
      • Auxiliary Briton Scout Riders > Ala Equitum Britonum
      • Auxiliary Briton Slingers > Cohors Funditorum Britonum
      • Auxiliary Spear Band > Cohors Lanciariorum Britonum

• Cel
      • Auxiliary Axe Warriors > Cohors Securigerum Celtarum
      • Auxiliary Celtic Light Horse > Ala Equitum Levum Celtarum
      • Auxiliary Celtic Skirmishers > Cohors Velitum Celtarum
      • Auxiliary Celtic Warriors > Cohors Ensiferorum Celtarum

• Dac
      • Auxiliary Dacian Bowmen > Cohors Sagittariorum Dacum
      • Auxiliary Spear Horsemen > Ala Lanciariorum Equitum Dacum
      • Auxiliary Dacian Spears > Cohors Lanciariorum Dacum

• Eas
      • Auxiliary Cappadocian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Cappadocum
      • Auxiliary Hillmen > Cohors Lanciariorum Orientalium
      • Auxiliary Eastern Javelinmen > Cohors Velitum Orientalium
      • Auxiliary Horse Skirmishers > Ala Velitum Orientalium

• Egy
      • Auxiliary Egyptian Archers > Cohors Sagittariorum Aegyptiorum
      • Auxiliary Egyptian Infantry > Cohors Ensiferorum Aegyptiorum

• Gal
      • Auxiliary Gallic Light Horse > Ala Equitum Levum Gallorum
      • Auxiliary Gallic Warriors > Cohors Ensiferorum Gallorum

• Ger
      • Auxiliary Longbow Hunters > Cohors Sagittariorum Germanorum
      • Auxiliary Germanic Scout Riders > Ala Equitum Germanorum
      • Auxiliary Spear Brothers > Cohors Lanciariorum Germanorum

• Gre
      • Auxiliary Citizen Cavalry > Ala Equitum Graecorum
      • Auxiliary Cretan Archers > Cohors Sagittariorum Cretensium
      • Auxiliary Hoplites > Cohors Hoplitarum Graecorum
      • Auxiliary Peltasts > Cohors Peltastarum Graecorum
      • Auxiliary Rhodian Slingers > Cohors Funditorum Rodiorum
      • Auxiliary Tarantine Cavalry > Ala Equitum Tarantinorum

• Ibe
      • Auxiliary Balearic Slingers > Cohors Funditorum Balearum
      • Auxiliary Cantabrian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Cantabriorum
      • Auxiliary Iberian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Iberorum
      • Auxiliary Iberian Slingers > Cohors Funditorum Iberorum
      • Auxiliary Iberian Swordsmen > Cohors Ensiferorum Iberorum

• Ill
      • Auxiliary Illyrian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Illyriorum
      • Auxiliary Coastal Levies >

• Ind
      • Auxiliary Indian War Elephants > Elephantes Indici

• Ita
      • Socii Equites > Ala Equitum Sociorum
      • Socii Equites Extraordinarii > Ala Equitum Sociorum Extraordinariorum
      • Socii Extraordinarii > Cohors Sociorum Extraordinariorum
      • Socii Hastati > Cohors Sociorum Hastatorum

• Num
      • Auxiliary Numidian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Numidarum
      • Auxiliary Numidian Javelinmen > Cohors Velitum Numidarum

• Par
      • Auxiliary Parthian Horse Archers > Ala Equitum Sagittariorum Parthorum
      • Auxiliary Parthian Spearmen > Cohors Lanciariorum Parthorum

• Per
      • Auxiliary Persian Archers > Cohors Sagittariorum Persarum
      • Auxiliary Persian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Persarum

• Sar
      • Auxiliary Sarmatian Horse Archers > Ala Equitum Sagittariorum Sarmatarum
      • Auxiliary Sarmatian Lancers > Ala Lanciariorum Equitum Sarmatarum

• Scy
      • Auxiliary Scythian Horse Archers > Ala Equitum Sagittariorum Scytharum

• Syrian
      • Auxiliary Syrian Archers > Cohors Sagittariorum Syriorum

• Thr
      • Auxiliary Thracian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Thracum
      • Auxiliary Thracian Peltasts > Cohors Peltastarum Thracum

• Other
      • Auxiliary Cavalry > Ala Equites Auxiliares
      • Auxiliary Infantry > Cohors Sagittariorum Auxiliares

Bac
    • Bactrian Royal Cavalry > Baktrioi Hippeis Agematos
    • Bactrian Royal Guard > Baktrioi Hoplitai Agematos

Dac
    • Armoured Spears > Dakes Thorakitai Doryphoroi
    • Dacian Ballista > Palintonon
    • Dacian Bastion Ballista > Palintonon (Bastion)
    • Dacian Ballista (Ship) > Palintonon (Ship)
    • Bow Horsemen > Dakes Hippotoxotai
    • Dacian Bowmen > Dakes Toxotai
    • Dacian Scorpion > Cheiroballistra
    • Falxmen > Dakes Drepanephoroi
    • Dacian Giant Ballista > Megas Palintonon
    • Heavy Spears > Dakes Epilektoi Doryphoroi
    • Dacian Heavy Onager > Megas Onagros
    • Noble Horsemen > Dakes Aristoi Hippeis
    • Noble Spears > Dakes Aristoi Doryphoroi
    • Dacian Onager > Onagros
    • Dacian Bastion Onager > Onagros (Bastion)
    • Dacian Onager (Ship) > Onagros (Fixed)
    • Dacian Scorpion (Fixed) > Cheiroballistra (Fixed)
    • Dacian Bastion Scorpion > Cheiroballistra (Bastion)
    • Dacian Skirmishers > Dakes Akontistai
    • Spear Horsemen > Dakes Hippeis
    • Spear Warriors > Dakes Doryphoroi
    • Spears > Dakes Epistratoi Doryphoroi
    • Dacian Tribesmen > Dakes Fyletikoi Pezoi

Eas
    • Syrian Heavy Archers > Syroi Toxotai

Egy
    • Egyptian Archers > Machimoi Toxotai
    • Egyptian Cavalry > Machimoi Hippeis
    • Galatian Royal Guard > Galatai Agema
    • Galatian Swordsmen > Galatai Makhairaphoroi
    • Egyptian Infantry > Machimoi Makhairaphoroi
    • Egyptian Javelinmen > Machimoi Akontistai
    • Karian Axemen > Kares Pezoi
    • Mob > Okhlos
    • Nubian Bowmen > Noubioi Toxotai
    • Nubian Spearmen > Noubioi Doryphoroi
    • Egyptian Pikemen > Machimoi Phalangitai
    • Egyptian Slingers > Machimoi Sphendonetai

Gre
    • Agema Cavalry > Agema
    • Agrianian Axemen > Agrianoi Pezoi
    • Archers > Psiloi Toxotai
    • Aspis Companion Cavalry > Aspidophoroi Hetairoi
    • Greek Ballista > Palintonon
    • Greek Bastion Ballista > Palintonon (Bastion)
    • Greek Ballista (Ship) > Palintonon (Ship)
    • Bronze Shield Pikemen > Chalkaspides Phalangitai
    • Greek Scorpion > Cheiroballistra
    • Citizen Cavalry > Hippeis
    • Citizen Hoplites > Politai Hoplitai
    • Companion Cavalry > Hetairoi
    • Cretan Archers > Kretai Toxotai
    • Foot Companions > Pezhetairoi
    • Greek Giant Ballista > Megas Palintonon
    • Hellenic Cataphracts > Hellenes Kataphraktoi
    • Helot Archers > Heilotes Toxotai
    • Helot Javelinmen > Heilotes Akontistai
    • Helot Slingers > Heilotes Sphendonetai
    • Heroes of Sparta > Spartiatai Hippeis
    • Hippeus Lancers > Xystophoroi
    • Hoplites > Hoplitai
    • Javelinmen > Psiloi Akontistai
    • Greek Heavy Onager > Megas Onagros
    • Levy Pikemen > Epistratoi Phalangitai
    • Levy Thureos Spears > Epistratoi Thureophoroi
    • Light Cavalry > Lonchophoroi
    • Light Hoplites > Ekdromoi Hoplitai
    • Light Peltasts > Euzonoi
    • Militia Hoplites > Epistratoi Hoplitai
    • Mob > Okhlos
    • Greek Onager > Onagros
    • Greek Bastion Onager > Onagros (Bastion)
    • Greek Onager (Ship) > Onagros (Ship)
    • Peltasts > Peltastai
    • Perioikoi Hoplites > Perioikoi Hoplitai
    • Perioikoi Peltasts > Perioikoi Peltastai
    • Perioikoi Pikemen > Perioikoi Phalangitai
    • Perioikoi Spears > Perioikoi Thureophoroi
    • Pikemen > Phalangitai
    • Greek Polybolos > Polybolos
    • Greek Bastion Polybolos > Polybolos (Bastion)
    • Pontic Royal Cavalry > Pontikoi Basilikoi Hippeis
    • Ptolemaic Cavalry > Hetairoi
    • Rhodian Slingers > Rhodioi Sphendonetai
    • Hellenic Royal Cavalry > Basilikoi Hippeis
    • Hellenic Royal Guard > Basilikoi Phalangitai
    • Royal Peltasts > Basilikoi Peltastai
    • Royal Spartans > Basilikoi Spartiatai Hoplitai
    • Royal Thorax Swordsmen > Basilikoi Thorakitai
    • Sarissa Cavalry > Sarissaphoroi
    • Greek Scorpion (Fixed) > Cheiroballistra (Fixed)
    • Greek Bastion Scorpion > Cheiroballistra (Bastion)
    • Scythed Chariots > Drepanephora Armata
    • Shield Bearers > Hypaspistai
    • Silver Shield Pikemen > Argyraspides Phalangitai
    • Silver Shield Swordsmen > Argyraspides Thorakitai
    • Skirmisher Cavalry > Hippakontistai
    • Slingers > Psiloi Sphendonetai
    • Spartan Hoplites > Spartiatai Hoplitai
    • Spartan Pikemen > Spartiatai Phalangitai
    • Spartan Youths > Spartiatai Epheboi
    • Tarantine Cavalry > Tarantinoi Hippeis
    • Thessalian Cavalry > Thessaloi Hippeis
    • Thorax Hoplites > Thorakitai Hoplitai
    • Thorax Pikemen > Thorakitai Phalangitai
    • Thorax Swordsmen > Thorakitai
    • Thureos Hoplites > Thureophoroi Hoplitai
    • Thureos Spears > Thureophoroi

Ibe
    • Balearic Slingers >
    • Iberian Ballista >
    • Iberian Bastion Ballista >
    • Iberian Ballista (Ship) >
    • Cantabrian Cavalry >
    • Iberian Cavalry >
    • Iberian Scorpion >
    • Iberian Giant Ballista >
    • Guerilla Warriors >
    • Iberian Heavy Onager >
    • Lusitani Nobles >
    • Noble Cavalry >
    • Noble Fighters >
    • Iberian Onager >
    • Iberian Bastion Onager >
    • Iberian Onager (Ship) >
    • Iberian Scorpion (Fixed) >
    • Iberian Bastion Scorpion >
    • Scutarii Spearmen >
    • Scutarii >
    • Scutarii Cavalry >
    • Iberian Skirmishers >
    • Iberian Slingers >
    • Iberian Spearmen >
    • Iberian Swordsmen >
    • Iberian Tribesmen >
    • Veteran Shield Warriors >

Ill
    • Illyrian Cavalry > Illyrioi Hippeis
    • Illyrian Hoplites > Illyrioi Hoplitai
    • Illyrian Levies > Illyrioi Paraktioi
    • Slave Javelinmen > Illyrioi Douloi Akontistai
    • Slave Slingers > Illyrioi Douloi Sphendonetai
    • Illyrian Spearmen > Illyrioi Doryphoroi
    • Illyrian Thureos Spears > Illyrioi Thureophoroi
    • Illyrian Tribesmen > Illyrioi Fyletikoi Pezoi

Ind
    • Indian Armoured Elephants > Kataphraktoi Indikoi Elephantes
    • Indian War Elephants > Indikoi Elephantes

Ita
    • Italian Cavalry > Italicus Equites
    • Levy Skirmishers > Italicus Velites
    • Levy Slingers > Italicus Funditores
    • Mob > Vulgus
    • Italian Noble Cavalry > Italicus Equites Nobilis
    • Italian Noble Infantry > Italicus Hastae Nobilis
    • Italian Spearmen > Italicus Hastae
    • Italian Swordsmen > Italicus Ensiferorum

Mer
    • Dac
      • Mercenary Dacian Bowmen > Misthophoroi Dakes Toxotai
      • Mercenary Spear Horsemen > Misthophoroi Dakes Hippeis
      • Mercenary Dacian Spears > Misthophoroi Dakes Doryphoroi

• Egy
      • Mercenary Egyptian Archers > Misthophoroi Machimoi Toxotai
      • Mercenary Egyptian Infantry > Misthophoroi Machimoi Makhairaphoroi

• Gre
      • Mercenary Citizen Cavalry > Misthophoroi Hippeis
      • Mercenary Cretan Archers > Misthophoroi Kretai Toxotai
      • Mercenary Hoplites > Misthophoroi Hoplitai
      • Mercenary Peltasts > Misthophoroi Peltastai
      • Mercenary Rhodian Slingers > Misthophoroi Rhodioi Sphendonetai
      • Mercenary Tarantine Cavalry > Misthophoroi Tarantinoi Hippeis
      • Mercenary Thureos Spears > Misthophoroi Thureophoroi
      • Mercenary Veteran Hoplites > Misthophoroi Epilektoi Hoplitai

• Ibe
      • Mercenary Balearic Slingers >
      • Mercenary Cantabrian Cavalry >
      • Mercenary Iberian Cavalry >
      • Mercenary Iberian Slingers >
      • Mercenary Iberian Swordsmen >

• Ill
      • Mercenary Illyrian Cavalry > Misthophoroi Illyrioi Hippeis
      • Mercenary Coastal Levies > Misthophoroi Illyrioi Paraktioi

• Ind
      • Mercenary Indian War Elephants > Misthophoroi Indikoi Elephantes

• Ita
      • Mercenary Italian Cavalry > Mercenarii Italicus Equites
      • Mercenary Italian Spearmen > Mercenarii Italicus Hastae

• Thr
      • Mercenary Thracian Cavalry > Misthophoroi Thrakes Hippeis
      • Mercenary Thracian Peltasts > Misthophoroi Thrakes Peltastai

Rom
    • Armoured Legionaries > Legionaris Loricati
    • Roman Ballista > Ballisae
    • Roman Bastion Ballista > Ballistae (Bastion)
    • Roman Ballista (Ship) > Ballistae (Ship)
    • Roman Scorpion > Scorpio
    • Eagle Cohort > Cohors Aquila
    • Equites > Equites
    • Evocati Cohort > Cohors Evocatus
    • First Cohort > Cohors Prima
    • General & Bodyguard > Custodia Corporis
    • Roman Giant Ballista > Magna Ballista
    • Gladiator Spearmen >
    • Gladiators >
    • Hastati > Hastati
    • Roman Heavy Onager > Magna Onager
    • Legatus > Legatus
    • Legionaries > Legionarii
    • Legionary Cavalry > Equites Legionis
    • Legionary Cohort > Cohors Legionis
    • Leves > Leves
    • Roman Onager > Onager
    • Roman Bastion Onager > Onager (Bastion)
    • Ballista > Ballistae
    • Roman Onager (Ship) > Onager (Ship)
    • Plebs > Vulgus
    • Roman Polybolos > Polybolos
    • Roman Bastion Polybolos > Polybolos (Bastion)
    • Praetorian Cavalry > Equites Singulares
    • Praetorian Guard > Cohortes Praetoriae
    • Praetorians > Cohortes Custodes Praetoriae
    • Principes > Principes
    • Rorarii > Rorarii
    • Roman Scorpion (Fixed) > Scorpio (Fixed)
    • Roman Bastion Scorpion > Scorpio (Bastion)
    • Triarii > Triarii
    • Velites > Velites
    • Veteran Legionaries > Legionaris Evocatus
    • Vigiles > Vigiles
    • War Dogs > Canes Bellici

Thr
    • Thracian Bowmen > Thrakes Toxotai
    • Thracian Cavalry > Thrakes Hippeis
    • Thracian Nobles > Thrakes Aristoi Rhomphaiaphoroi
    • Thracian Peltasts > Thrakes Peltastai
    • Thracian Royal Cavalry > Thrakes Aristoi Hippeis
    • Thracian Skirmishers > Thrakes Akontistai
    • Thracian Slingers > Thrakes Sphendonetai
    • Tribal Garrison > Thrakes Doryphoroi
    • Thracian Warriors > Thrakes Rhomphaiaphoroi

Last edited by Biggus Splenus; September 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

L'Aigle - thanks for all that can I ask what book you've taken these from, and what time period and area the language is based?
    I based on dictionaries / lexicons French - Gaul / Celtic.

Many stelae with inscriptions and archaeological finds have established a dictionary / lexicon of Gallic language in France (But everything is in French). There are also many words given in the ancient texts and also in the "Gallic Wars".

So I translated from English to French and French in Gaulish. From historical sources and verified

Here are two sources that have served me well, in addition to other

http://www.arbre-celtique.com/encycl...gauloise-4.htm

http://oda.perso.worldonline.fr/dicogaulois.htm

ok, let me try to address all these points in brief...
    @sephiroth

hoplita/hoplitae vs hoplitis/hoplitis (singular nominative/genitive). NOTE: there is no -es/-is ending in latin (nominative/genitive), only -is/-is like mensis/mensis (a month/of a month) or -es/-es like facies/facies (a face/of a face)
    I can't be sure either which one is the correct (ie used in antiquity) version... the thing is that in earlier times, when hoplite warfare was common in the Italian penninsula, latin-speakers would probably just call hoplites clipeati. By the time the Romans entered greek politics, hoplites were already mostly a thing of the past - so by then, they would probably use the term Hoplomachus, which soon became inextricably connected to the world of gladiatorial combat (as a gladiator type).
    So we're doing a bit of creative "translation" here (on a purely hypothetical base) - and as such, anything may be valid.
    My only argument here is that the form hoplita fits better with other greek nouns ending in -ης rendered into latin with the -a suffix (like nauta).

About the auxiliaries - auxiliaries as such (AFAIR) were only formed (officially) after the Augustan reforms (perhaps some regiments already existed a bit earlier on), so yes, they're imperial era regiments. In earlier republican times there were allied contingents, still organized in cohorts (esp. among the italic allies) and, yes, the Auxiliares in that case wouldn't be appropriate - they'd be Socii.
    Therefore, we could remove the Ala/Cohors optionally for the Italic "Socii" troops. But NOTE: you'll have to change them back to nominative case, ergo Socii Equites or Socii Hastati
    But the Auxiliary units CA has put in the game are clearly modeled on the imperial units and that's why Auxiliares/Ala/Cohors are applicable to them and therefore I suggested their use...

Firstly, Scutum is a term used during the Republic as well... In fact, the legionaries (whether polybian or marian) carried a scutum (which only later they had to qualify as ovale, since by then they also had the quadratum) and the cavalry carried a parma/parmula (small round shield).
    Thus, the thyreophoroi could litteraly be translated from greek as scutarii, since they too carried a version of the gallic shield that the Romans knew from their encounters with the Gauls and the Iberians.

And another little thing - you're right about first declension ending in -a. The -us/-a/-um endings are in fact SECOND declension nouns, not first like I originally said. But then again, I'm very rusty about my latin too... and I just realize how much my latin vocabulary has deteriorated!

@L'Aigle - nice work!

@Splenyi - if I had a choice, gladiators would be out of the game... never, ever, did the infames fight in a proper campaign beside honest roman citizens (or even allies and auxiliaries)!!!
    But since you're not removing units, it's more accurate to use the gladiator types to describe units of gladiators, rather than the litteral translation...
    So Hoplomachi and Murmillones or Thraces or whatever it is (depending on their arms), while Gladiatores is redundant

About Auxilia Illyrian Levy - how about Cohors Auxiliarum Illyriorum or Lanciariorum Illyriorum (I haven't seen the unit, I don't know what weapons they carry)

About the Seleucid Agema, I don't know for sure - probably Hippeis (Basilikou) Agematos

Iberian units - find a Basque speaker for native Iberian units, Gallic names apply to Celtiberian units, some units could have Punic names (as they were levied in Punic Iberia). For example I remember in EB Balearic Slingers are called Qala'im Balear'im

Another error I found: Cohors Securigerum Celtarum - actually Securigerorum... I got it right in Ensiferorum, but I was tired at the time I was writing those

And yet another: change Galatai Agema to either Agema Galaton or Galatai Agematos (agema of Gauls or gauls of the agema respectively)

And more: Italicus Equites - as I said, one Italicus, many Italici... as you have many Equites, you need many Italici. Also best to place the Italici after the noun.

Italian Noble Infantry > Italicus Hastae Nobilis
    Italian Spearmen > Italicus Hastae
    Italian Swordsmen > Italicus Ensiferorum
    Ooops wrong cases, numbers -
    it's Hastati Optimi Italici
    Hastati Italici
    Ensiferi Italici (ensiferorum is genitive plural masculine/neuter)

Armoured Legionaries > Legionaris Loricati
    Eagle Cohort > Cohors Aquila
    Evocati Cohort > Cohors Evocatus
    General & Bodyguard > Custodia Corporis
    Roman Heavy Onager > Magna Onager
    Legionary Cavalry > Equites Legionis
    Legionary Cohort > Cohors Legionis
    Praetorian Guard > Cohortes Praetoriae
    Praetorians > Cohortes Custodes Praetoriae
    Veteran Legionaries > Legionaris Evocatus

Change these to:
    Legionarii Loricati
    Cohors Aquilae or Cohors Prima
    Cohors Evocata or Cohors Evocatorum
    Custodes Corporis Legati (or Ducis)
    Onager Magnus (magna is feminine, onager is masculine)
    Equites Alares
    Cohors Legionaria
    Custodes Praetorii (these are the "guard", ergo custodes)
    Cohors Praetoria (it's one cohort not many as in cohortes)
    Legionarii Veterani

and a small addon:

bastion=Propugnaculum (one neuter)
    ship=Navis (one female)
    fixed=Immobilis (unmovable)

Foederatus

Thanks justme

About Bactri Montanus, montanus means also in italian ( ) men that live and come from the mountain...so i don't know if we can use it.
    About Auxiliary Coastal Levies, for me Coastal will be translated in maritimas or maritimum

Last edited by tiger_irons; September 13, 2013 at 03:42 AM.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    and a small addon:

bastion=Propugnaculum (one neuter)
    ship=Navis (one female)
    fixed=Immobilis (unmovable)

About the bastion, do you mean the roman fort ?

Because i know these two:

Fort --> praesidium, praesidi.i
    Camp --> castra, castr.orum

Then ships for me are classis !

What do you think ?

Thanks for your grammar help

Foederatus

double post
    Last edited by tiger_irons; September 13, 2013 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger_irons View Post
    About the bastion, do you mean the roman fort ?

Because i know these two:

Fort --> praesidium, praesidi.i
    Camp --> castra, castr.orum

Then ships for me are classis !

What do you think ?

Thanks for your grammar help
    A bastion is a bastion - it's a part of a castle of fortress... and it's a propugnaculum

you're right about both the fort and the camp

classis translates to fleet - one ship is a navis in latin