View Poll Results: Should I transform this mod into an Army Overhaul, or keep it in its original design?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Army Overhaul

27 55.10%
  • Original Design

22 44.90%
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Splenyi's Project - Realistic Names (v1.0 Released 15/04/2015)

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Splenyi' Realistic Unit Names (yes, names can be realistic too!)

3rd post in a row.....

BETA RELEASE GUYS!

I just wanted to give you guys an opportunity to test what these names are like in game I've only done what is on the OP, so that's all Hellenic units (except Baktria, which I'm working on), Thracians, Dacians, Illyrians, Egyptian, Ethiopian, Nubian, Carian, and most Roman units (not Auxilia though)... I think that's it.

Please criticize harshly

PS. There were 5 (!!!!!) different Dacian spearmen units to name, and i kind of ran out of ideas. In order of elite, it goes; Dakes Epistratoi Doryphoroi, Dakes Doryphoroi, Dakes Epilektoi Doryphoroi, Dakes Thorakitai Doryphoroi, Dakes Aristoi Doryphoroi. Feel free to improve on that
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Default Re: [WIP] Splenyi' Realistic Unit Names (yes, names can be realistic too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post

While that's not the goal of this mod, I can easily expand into that area once this is done. But first, unit names
    I was going to create my own thread about this, but since it's been brought up here, I'll mention it here.
    I'd like to see All Roman armies be numbered as the norm, and then further names can be given to them afterwards. For non professional armies, I'd like to see the name of the army just reflect the name of the general (e.g. "Biggus Dikkus' Army"), unless it's the faction leader's army, in which case it could say "Royal Pargamese Army" or something to that effect.
    If the game can't be made to recognise the general and then name the army as such, it could just be called Suebian Tribal Army or something.

If the system is similar to the regimental naming system of ETW/NTW then you could even chuck in a few surpirse "Odysseus' Wanderers" in there too to come up randomly to give the AI factions SOME flavour.
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

^ Don't approve of Greek names for Dacians. May as well have english. Latin even
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    ^ Don't approve of Greek names for Dacians. May as well have english. Latin even
    How come? And why would you be fine with Greek Ethiopian, Illryrian and Thracian names?

Massive thanks once again I'm running out of stuff to ask you

Last 2 Hellenic units that I've still got no clue on is;

Giant Ballista
    Heavy Onager

I just need a word to describe heavy artillery. I'll just use the 1 adjective for both. What would you suggest?
    sorry... as I said, I can't really help with artillery. The adjectives you are looking for are "Megas/Megalh" (meaning big/gigantic) and "Barus/Bareia" (meaning heavy) [I'm giving male and female versions here], but as I said, I'm not sure how appropriate they would be to describe and engine for which I have no appropriate name to give...

As for the Dacian units using greek names (for now), I think that even in EB they have (some) units using greek names. In any case, until you get a Dacian-speaker to translate the names, one will have to compromise with some other language.

As far as the greek names you've given the spearmen units are concerned, I think they're just fine...

Finally, what do you need for the romans (or latin-named units)? I might be able to help there too...

Aram Kurdo's Avatar Tiro

PFFF !!! U call this renaming while Eastern Factions have not been renamed!! all the world wasnt Rome & Greece !! (at least u could see Europa Barbarorum) !!

Quote Originally Posted by KurdishSpartakus View Post
    PFFF !!! U call this renaming while Eastern Factions have not been renamed!! all the world wasnt Rome & Greece !! (at least u could see Europa Barbarorum) !!

I don't know how far splenyi will go with the renaming project, but this is still a wip and I suppose he's starting from the "easy" factions (the romans and the greeks). So be patient and wait... even Rome wasn't built in a day; I'm sure more languages will crop up soon (I saw someone volunteer for renaming gallic units). Even better - if you speak persian and/or arabic you can help splenyi with renaming the eastern units the sooner.
    Last edited by justme; September 11, 2013 at 03:35 AM.

Thanks for offering help AGAIN justme

- I'm looking for a similar word from the Greek artillery; Giant/Heavy
    - Bodyguard
    - War Dogs
    - Not sure how to name the Praetorians, there's 2 units; Praetorians and Praetorian Guard. Realistically they were the same thing, so I'm a bit stuck.

That's it for the base Roman army, but then I have a heap of Auxilia to do:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Aux

• Afr
      • Auxiliary Sabean Archers >
      • Auxiliary Sabean Cavalry >
      • Auxiliary African Elephants >
      • Auxiliary Sabean Spearmen >

• Ara
      • Auxiliary Camel Archers >
      • Auxiliary Camel Spearmen >
      • Auxiliary Arabian Cavalry >
      • Auxiliary Arabian Spearmen >

• Bac
      • Auxiliary Bactrian Hillmen >
      • Auxiliary Bactrian Light Horse >

• Bri
      • Auxiliary Briton Scout Riders >
      • Auxiliary Briton Slingers >
      • Auxiliary Spear Band >

• Cel
      • Auxiliary Axe Warriors >
      • Auxiliary Celtic Light Horse >
      • Auxiliary Celtic Skirmishers >
      • Auxiliary Celtic Warriors >

• Dac
      • Auxiliary Dacian Bowmen >
      • Auxiliary Spear Horsemen >
      • Auxiliary Dacian Spears >

• Eas
      • Auxiliary Cappadocian Cavalry >
      • Auxiliary Hillmen >
      • Auxiliary Eastern Javelinmen >
      • Auxiliary Horse Skirmishers >

• Egy
      • Auxiliary Egyptian Archers >
      • Auxiliary Egyptian Infantry >

• Gal
      • Auxiliary Gallic Light Horse >
      • Auxiliary Gallic Warriors >

• Ger
      • Auxiliary Longbow Hunters >
      • Auxiliary Germanic Scout Riders >
      • Auxiliary Spear Brothers >

• Gre
      • Auxiliary Citizen Cavalry >
      • Auxiliary Cretan Archers >
      • Auxiliary Hoplites >
      • Auxiliary Peltasts >
      • Auxiliary Rhodian Slingers >
      • Auxiliary Tarantine Cavalry >
      • Auxiliary Thureos Spears >

• Ibe
      • Auxiliary Balearic Slingers >
      • Auxiliary Cantabrian Cavalry >
      • Auxiliary Iberian Cavalry >
      • Auxiliary Iberian Slingers >
      • Auxiliary Iberian Swordsmen >

• Ill
      • Auxiliary Illyrian Cavalry >
      • Auxiliary Coastal Levies >

• Ind
      • Auxiliary Indian War Elephants >

• Ita
      • Socii Equites >
      • Socii Equites Extraordinarii >
      • Socii Extraordinarii >
      • Socii Hastati >

• Num
      • Auxiliary Numidian Cavalry >
      • Auxiliary Numidian Javelinmen >

• Par
      • Auxiliary Parthian Horse Archers >
      • Auxiliary Parthian Spearmen >

• Per
      • Auxiliary Persian Archers >
      • Auxiliary Persian Cavalry >

• Sar
      • Auxiliary Sarmatian Horse Archers >
      • Auxiliary Sarmatian Lancers >

• Scy
      • Auxiliary Scythian Horse Archers >

• Syrian
      • Auxiliary Syrian Archers >

• Thr
      • Auxiliary Thracian Cavalry >
      • Auxiliary Thracian Peltasts >

• Other
      • Auxiliary Cavalry
      • Auxiliary Infantry

Perhaps you could have a look through those name and see what you can do?

Quote Originally Posted by KurdishSpartakus View Post
    You here to offer translation, or whine?

I'd be glad to translate the Eastern units too, but I haven't found anyone to do it.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; September 11, 2013 at 04:09 AM.

Aram Kurdo's Avatar Tiro

Thanks for offering help AGAIN justme Perhaps you could have a look through those name and see what you can do? You here to offer translation, or whine? I'd be glad to translate the Eastern units too, but I haven't found anyone to do it.
    im so Sorry JUST ME & SPENEYI for my style of complaining, u know i meant generaly, all the western people only care about Ancient Greece & Rome, ( and Egypt because they cant deny it or they would!) and doesnt know there were greater civilizations In MEZOPOTAMIA & Iranian Plateau. and Dear JUST ME, I'm A KURD and Know Persian, but we Iranian (Persian, Kurds, Lurds, Baluchis, Afghans & Tajiks ....) are NOT ARABS !!! and im not religious so i dont know Arabic. but Dear Spleneyi, why u dont see Europa Barbarorum?!! in There all Cultures have been written in their own Native Name! BTW, im at your service, but just one question, u want me their modern native name or Ancient?!

AAArrgghh!!! I just posted a lengthy reply and the forum just ate it! So here I go again - this time with fewer explanations (to save time).

First @KurdishSpartakus
    Don't worry - I wasn't offended or anything. And I know you're not an arab... I just thought that you might know some arabic (esp. if you live in Iraq or Syria - I can't see your location). But maybe you can help with the persian terms... I know a few from EB and IB:SAI, but I'm hardly an expert (all those gund's and selabgandan's and thanvare's just mystified me).
    Now for the translations.

Giant/Heavy = Magnus/Magna which translates to big/great... I don't have a word for giant and I want to find a better word for heavy than the one I'm thinking of now.
    Bodyguard= (when talking about its members) Custodes Corporis or (when talking about the organization) Custodia Corporis. In later times these were known as Custodes (Sacri) Lateris AFAIR.
    War Dogs = Canes Bellici (the closest thing I can get)

Now for the Auxiliary units, but first a note or two: the general rule for naming auxiliary regiments of the roman army was "regiment of 'soldier type' of 'soldier nationality/origin'", which doesn't translate literally into the english form of the unit names below (for one thing the term "Auxiliary" becomes redundant, since mentioning a nationality/origin for the soldiers/regiment immediately implied they were Auxiliaries and not roman Legions). I'm going to use the historical version and NOT the literal version. Also, many of the units below just didn't apply in the antiquity, so I'm really improvising names that "sound" original - but the ancients would struggle to understand what I'm talking about.
    Another note: Ala=Wing/Squadron, Cohors="regiment"
    Afr
    Auxiliary Sabean Archers > Cohors Sagittariorum Sabaeorum
    Auxiliary Sabean Cavalry > Ala Equitum Sabaeorum
    Auxiliary African Elephants > Elephantes Africani (an elephant isn't an auxiliary - a man is an auxiliary! at least in Latin!)
    Auxiliary Sabean Spearmen > Cohors Lanciariorum Sabaeorum (even though lancea=lance, hasta=spear, I won't call them hastati, since they were known as lanciarii in those days)

Ara
    Auxiliary Camel Archers > Ala Sagittariorum Dromedariorum
    Auxiliary Camel Spearmen > Ala Lanciariorum Dromedariorum
    Auxiliary Arabian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Arabum
    Auxiliary Arabian Spearmen > Cohors Lanciariorum Arabum

Bac
    Auxiliary Bactrian Hillmen > no idea what hillmen were called in latin - a hill is a collis, so hillmen could be literally translated into incolae collinum (hill-dwellers), but that doesn't sound right for a military unit or a horde of tribal savages from the hills/mountains
    Auxiliary Bactrian Light Horse > Ala Equitum Levum Bactriorum

Bri
    Auxiliary Briton Scout Riders > Ala Equitum Exploratorum Britonum
    Auxiliary Briton Slingers > Cohors Funditorum Britonum
    Auxiliary Spear Band > Turma Lanciariorum Auxiliarum (Turma=band in late latin)

Cel
    Auxiliary Axe Warriors > Cohors Securigerum Bellatorum
    Auxiliary Celtic Light Horse > Ala Equitum Levum Celtarum
    Auxiliary Celtic Skirmishers > Cohors Iaculatorum (or Velitum or Levum) Celtarum
    Auxiliary Celtic Warriors > Cohors Bellatorum Celtarum

Dac
    Auxiliary Dacian Bowmen > Cohors Sagittariorum Dacum
    Auxiliary Spear Horsemen > Ala Lanciariorum Equitum
    Auxiliary Dacian Spears > Cohors Lanciariorum Dacum

Eas
    Auxiliary Cappadocian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Cappadocum
    Auxiliary Hillmen > see above
    Auxiliary Eastern Javelinmen > Cohors Velitum (or Iaculatorum or Levum) Orientalium
    Auxiliary Horse Skirmishers > Ala Iaculatorum Equitum

Egy
    Auxiliary Egyptian Archers > Cohors Sagittariorum Aegyptiorum
    Auxiliary Egyptian Infantry > Cohors Peditum Aegyptiorum

Gal
    Auxiliary Gallic Light Horse > Ala Equitum Levum Gallorum
    Auxiliary Gallic Warriors > Cohors Bellatorum Gallorum

Ger
    Auxiliary Longbow Hunters > Cohors Venatorum Sagittariorum (longbow=arcus longa, but it doesn't fit here)
    Auxiliary Germanic Scout Riders > Ala Equitum Exploratorum Germanorum
    Auxiliary Spear Brothers > Cohors Fratrum Lanciariorum (???? what are these????)

Gre
    Auxiliary Citizen Cavalry > Ala Equitum Civitum
    Auxiliary Cretan Archers > Cohors Sagittariorum Cretensium
    Auxiliary Hoplites > Cohors Hoplitarum
    Auxiliary Peltasts > Cohors Peltastarum
    Auxiliary Rhodian Slingers > Cohors Funditorum Rodiorum
    Auxiliary Tarantine Cavalry > Ala Equitum Tarantinorum
    Auxiliary Thureos Spears > Cohors Lanciariorum Scutariorum (or Thyreophoriorum)

Ibe
    Auxiliary Balearic Slingers > Cohors Funditorum Balearum
    Auxiliary Cantabrian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Cantabriorum
    Auxiliary Iberian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Iberorum
    Auxiliary Iberian Slingers > Cohors Funditorum Iberorum
    Auxiliary Iberian Swordsmen > Cohors Ensiferorum Iberorum

Ill
    Auxiliary Illyrian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Illyriorum
    Auxiliary Coastal Levies > ... I know the words but to mix them up to make a unit name sounds absurd to me - coast=litus, levy=legio or diletus, to say Auxiliares Dilecti Litoris sounds ridiculous to me - I mean, if I were to say something like that, the ancients would understand the words, but they'd be stumped as to what the hell I'm referring to!

Ind
    Auxiliary Indian War Elephants > Elephantes Indici (same as above)

Ita
    Socii Equites > Ala Equitum Sociorum or Equites Socii
    Socii Equites Extraordinarii > Ala Equitum Extraordinariorum or Equites Extraordinarii
    Socii Extraordinarii > Cohors Sociorum Extraordinariorum or leave as is
    Socii Hastati > Cohors Sociorum Hastatorum or leave as is

Num
    Auxiliary Numidian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Numidarum
    Auxiliary Numidian Javelinmen > Cohors Velitum (or Iaculatorum or Levum) Numidarum

Par
    Auxiliary Parthian Horse Archers > Ala Equitum Sagittariorum Parthorum
    Auxiliary Parthian Spearmen > Cohors Lanciariorum Parthorum

Per
    Auxiliary Persian Archers > Cohors Sagittariorum Persarum
    Auxiliary Persian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Persarum

Sar
    Auxiliary Sarmatian Horse Archers > Ala Equitum Sagittariorum Sarmatarum
    Auxiliary Sarmatian Lancers > Ala Lanciariorum Equitum Sarmatarum

Scy
    Auxiliary Scythian Horse Archers > Ala Equitum Sagittariorum Scytharum

Syrian
    Auxiliary Syrian Archers > Cohors Sagittariorum Syriorum

Thr
    Auxiliary Thracian Cavalry > Ala Equitum Thracum
    Auxiliary Thracian Peltasts > Cohors Peltastarum Thracum

Other
    Auxiliary Cavalry - Equites Auxiliares
    Auxiliary Infantry - Pedites Auxiliares

Hope that all this helps...

Cheers for the Mod, I really appreciate the effort and this will make a big difference for me.

Do you plan, or know if its possible, to change the encyclopedia text as well? The files look like static HTML on disk but I've tried changing them with no success. Not sure if the pages are cached by the game or the text is loaded from the DB.

This is a great idea, I don't post often but I've got a little bit of input.

How about naming the Roman Plebs to 'Capite censi'? This literally means the head count in Latin, and was the name given to people who did not own land, this I feel is exactly what the Plebs are in this game. The last men available to defend the city.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capite_censi

This is brilliant can't wait until it is finished!

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

On one hand the game is centered on Rome and thus Latin makes sense for the default. On the other hand Koine would be more historically accurate since even the Romans often spoke Koine when communicating with foreigners and slaves, etc. Given the breadth of Hellenism from Hispania to India it's the obvious language which seems to be the plan from what's done so far.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

@ justme - thanks a heap I might overt "Cohors" and "Ala", just because it seems repetitive, and we didn't put unit size names on the Hellenic units No I wont. I also noticed you made both nationality and troop type in singular form, is it because of the "Cohors" and "Ala" title that they're singular, because I think that's what I've noticed?

but Dear Spleneyi, why u dont see Europa Barbarorum?!! in There all Cultures have been written in their own Native Name!
    A few, but not most. Most use Greek.
    BTW, im at your service, but just one question, u want me their modern native name or Ancient?
    Ancient of course
    Do you plan, or know if its possible, to change the encyclopedia text as well? The files look like static HTML on disk but I've tried changing them with no success. Not sure if the pages are cached by the game or the text is loaded from the DB.
    My initial plan was to leave the Encyclopedia alone, so that people who are confused about the name and what the unit might be, can check it in the encyclopedia for what it was originally (in vanilla).
    How about naming the Roman Plebs to 'Capite censi'? This literally means the head count in Latin, and was the name given to people who did not own land, this I feel is exactly what the Plebs are in this game. The last men available to defend the city.
    That's a nice idea or I might just call them "mod", because it won't make sense in a non-Roman city.
    On one hand the game is centered on Rome and thus Latin makes sense for the default. On the other hand Koine would be more historically accurate since even the Romans often spoke Koine when communicating with foreigners and slaves, etc. Given the breadth of Hellenism from Hispania to India it's the obvious language which seems to be the plan from what's done so far.
    Yep, most factions units will be in Greek if their ancient language isn't around any more. A handful will be in Latin (Roman, Roman Auxilia, Italian, and maybe Iberian, not sure yet). I'm just hoping we can get some people to translate the other factions.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; September 12, 2013 at 07:39 AM.

Aram Kurdo's Avatar Tiro

@ justme - thanks a heap I might overt "Cohors" and "Ala", just because it seems repetitive, and we didn't put unit size names on the Hellenic units . I also noticed you made both nationality and troop type in singular form, aren't they usually in plural? Or is it because of the "Cohors" and "Ala" title that they're singular?

A few, but not most. Most use Greek.

Ancient of course
    well i said for ancient, because i can easily say the Native but its Modern Name. The Ancient Ones are truly Hard to Find.
    but you could both post in here and in my private profile for those names of units im at your serivice dear Spleneyi!!
    (Because i might dont come in here, my profile is better)

Thanks, I'm just sorting some stuff out, so we'll get started sometime soon. We should do it on this thread too, just so it's easier for me to track, and everyone can see how we came up with the name we're using in the mod. Please subscribe to the thread, then you won't need to worry about loosing it
    EDIT: Thought I would reply to some of your stuff justme;
    Auxiliary Longbow Hunters > Cohors Venatorum Sagittariorum (longbow=arcus longa, but it doesn't fit here)
    Auxiliary Germanic Scout Riders > Ala Equitum Exploratorum Germanorum
    Auxiliary Spear Brothers > Cohors Fratrum Lanciariorum (???? what are these????)
    All those are Germanic troops So the Spear Brothers will probably be Cohors Lanciariorum Germanorum.
    Auxiliary Citizen Cavalry > Ala Equitum Civitum
    Auxiliary Cretan Archers > Cohors Sagittariorum Cretensium
    Auxiliary Hoplites > Cohors Hoplitarum
    Auxiliary Peltasts > Cohors Peltastarum
    Auxiliary Rhodian Slingers > Cohors Funditorum Rodiorum
    Auxiliary Tarantine Cavalry > Ala Equitum Tarantinorum
    Auxiliary Thureos Spears > Cohors Lanciariorum Scutariorum (or Thyreophoriorum)
    Would you be able to tell me what the Romans called Greek people? sing. and pl. Was it Graecum and Graeci, respectively?
    Auxiliary Coastal Levies > ... I know the words but to mix them up to make a unit name sounds absurd to me - coast=litus, levy=legio or diletus, to say Auxiliares Dilecti Litoris sounds ridiculous to me - I mean, if I were to say something like that, the ancients would understand the words, but they'd be stumped as to what the hell I'm referring to!
    perhaps just Cohors Dilectus Illyriorum then?

Thanks again for all your help

And 3 last things for now; how would you say Praetorian Guard? And Syrian Archers in Greek (I think they should be in Greek language, that area was dominated by Greeks, do you agree?) And Armoured in Latin (as in, Armoured Legionaries)?

I feel we are coming close to a 0.2 release
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; September 12, 2013 at 08:39 AM.

That's a nice idea or I might just call them "mod", because it won't make sense in a non-Roman city.
    Fair enough. Do kind of think any landless mob could be referred to as that though

ok... let's address all these points one by one

a) nationality and troop type in singular form
    Actually ...no; that isn't a singular form, it's plural - in all cases the translation is (one) "regiment type" of (many) "troop type" of (many) "region/country nationals".
    Don't confuse the singular neuter gender nominative case -um suffix with the plural genitive case -orum/arum or -um suffix (it depends on declension categories, eg first declension nouns use -us/-a/-um for nominative singular, -orum/-arum/-orum for genitive plural in masculine/feminine/neuter genders)

b) mob=(lat) Vulgus=(gr) Okhlos... I think it's a better word to use, since it certainly fits the "disorderly masses" that the mob unit is supposed to reflect

c) Cohors Lanciariorum Germanorum - ok, it works for me
    d) what the Romans called Greek people - one male Graecus, one female Graeca, one thing (neuter) Graecum (see above, for first declension nouns). Many male Graeci, many female Graecae, many things (neuter) Graeca

e) Cohors Dilectus Illyriorum - wrong case (remember the rule for greek? adjectives, nouns, pronouns, etc have to agree for number, case, gender? it applies to latin as well!) and still wouldn't make much sense to a Roman...
    anyway, it would read Cohors Dilecti Illyriorum (a regiment of a levy of Illyrians) or it could also be Cohors Dilectorum Illyriorum (a regiment of *levied* of Illyrians)... problem is that Dilectus when referring to persons usually meant something like "beloved" or "most dear"... so that latter option would also translate to a regiment of the most dear among the Illyrians... utterly ridiculous!!!

f) Praetorian Guard - in greek? or in latin? In greek it would be (litteraly) Praitorianη Froura and Praetorian Guards would be Praitorianoi Frouroi. In latin it is Custodia Praetoriana and Custodes Praetoriani (or plain Praetoriani) respectively. The term Custodia/Custodes Praetorii was also used AFAIR (guard of the praetorium).
    g) Syrian Archers in greek - Syroi Toxotai
    h) Armored in latin - simple: Armati or Loricati; the latter is more accurate, the former (litterally armed) I think was used mostly in late latin/middle ages, but was current in imperial vulgar latin too

a) nationality and troop type in singular form
    ok thanks learning so much here
    b) mob=(lat) Vulgus=(gr) Okhlos...
    Done and dusted.
    d) what the Romans called Greek people - one male Graecus, one female Graeca, one thing (neuter) Graecum (see above, for first declension nouns). Many male Graeci, many female Graecae, many things (neuter) Graeca
    perhaps I haven't learned enough to apply it myself yet do I want Graecum (eg. Hoplitarum Graecum)?
    e) Cohors Dilectus Illyriorum - wrong case (remember the rule for greek? adjectives, nouns, pronouns, etc have to agree for number, case, gender? it applies to latin as well!) and still wouldn't make much sense to a Roman...anyway, it would read Cohors Dilecti Illyriorum (a regiment of a levy of Illyrians) or it could also be Cohors Dilectorum Illyriorum (a regiment of *levied* of Illyrians)... problem is that Dilectus when referring to persons usually meant something like "beloved" or "most dear"... so that latter option would also translate to a regiment of the most dear among the Illyrians... utterly ridiculous!!!
    Well indeed that is ridiculous perhaps Pedites instead then, until we (you )come up with something better?
    f) Praetorian Guard - in greek? or in latin? In greek it would be (litteraly) Praitorianη Froura and Praetorian Guards would be Praitorianoi Frouroi. In latin it is Custodia Praetoriana and Custodes Praetoriani (or plain Praetoriani) respectively. The term Custodia/Custodes Praetorii was also used AFAIR (guard of the praetorium).
    I did mean Latin yes, sorry. Thanks, I was going to use Praetoriani, but there's 2 Praetorian units (Praetorians, and Praetorian Guard). Silly design choice, historically the same thing, but it's CA.
    g) Syrian Archers in greek - Syroi Toxotai
    h) Armored in latin - simple: Armati or Loricati; the latter is more accurate, the former (litterally armed) I think was used mostly in late latin/middle ages, but was current in imperial vulgar latin too
    Cheers Just a few more things for the Italians in Latin; Nobles (eg. Noble Cavalry), Mercenary (eg. Mercenary Spearmen) and Italian (nationality, eg. Italian Spearmen).
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; September 12, 2013 at 09:47 AM.