Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Lines of Battle: General Discussion

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Lines of Battle: Rome II - A Tactical Gameplay Modification

It will only effect newly recruited units.

trance's Avatar Vicarius

Will hoplites also get improved shield strength or is it limited to pike and shield walls?

Content Emeritus

Im thinking about limiting it to the formations, but I'm trying to see what the AI's take on it is

Foederatus

Hey, is this compatible with Radious' Battle Mod?.... cuz i want to use the spear units from his... every battleline needs spears you know...

Edit: Aaah, read a few posts back, seems like its not compatible
    i know this is not a on-topic question, but is there anyway i can get more spear infantry?
    Last edited by MECC143; September 19, 2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: I Read a Few Posts Back.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Gunny View Post
    That's a good idea, I was going to see Boit buffing the shield wall ability, bu it may jus be better to give the shields a boost.
    The one problem with shield wall & phalanx is that if you attack in either it breaks the formation. I am not sure if this is a bug to CA or not, I hope it is because it pretty much means only the player will use the ability and do so sparingly.

If the formation boosting doesn't prove satisfactory I'd give the shields themselves a boost. For people concerned about that the shield table that determines both 'shield defensive skill' (what seems to be the ability to proactively use it) and 'shield armour' (what seems to be the durability/strength of the shield) allows you to specify it for individual shield types: Scutum, Marian Scutum, Imperial Scutum, Hoplite shield, Cavalry hoplite shield, Thureos, Pelta, and like 10-15 others. You seem to have the smaller nimble shields being high in the first value and low in the second, and bigger shields the opposite.

It may be 'gamey' but I am inclined to try something whereby the aspis gets a really beefy boost.

In vanilla the Aspis is 10 defense + 40 Armour

In Vanilla the Scutum is 15 defense + 30 armour or 10 defense + 35 armor

So the difference between the two is neglible. I'd consider giving it some major +10 or +20 boost. I have no idea how the defense vs armour pans out, but the hopeful theory would be you get the aspis being a niche of 'impenetrable from the front' to contrast the Sarissa being 'offensively predominant from the front' and the scutum units with swords generally being more flexible.

What might be a good idea as a test would be to first raise the defensive skill of a shield to something astronomical and put it into a few tests - against a ranged unit, a cavalry unit, an attack to the front vs an attack to the side or rear, then do the same with the shield armour boosted. My guess is that it's the earlier MTWII/RTW split of defensive skill (The unit's specific value + the shield's value = sum total of defensive skill?) applicable only to melee attacks and shield being applicable to protection in general.

In fact I can almost guarantee that. What's the 'armour' of some mail clad Legionary? Often 75 defense. What's the armour value of mail in the armor table? 40. What's the armour value of a scutum? 30-35.

Edit: Another idea for a niche is to have the hoplite (with aspis) have high charge, high shield armour, low shield defense and its currently underwhelming attack skill. The goal would be to have the hoplite either be able to stand and receive an attack (Relying on the strength of the shield formation) or take to the othismos charge but if they can't really deliver a solid battering charge then be in trouble against infantry with swords who will fare better in the melee.
    Last edited by Ahiga; September 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM.

Default Re: Lines of Battle: Rome 2

Hello,

I am getting a conflict with the Roman Reskin Mod but I am not sure why? Thanks!

Quick question and it might be a silly one - No matter what version of the mod I install the unit sizes stay the same. I've tried a couple of different things and it doesn't change. Any idea why this part of the mod isn't working for me?

Content Emeritus

Do you have any other mods installed in your data folder that might not require launching via modmanager?

Nope! I used to, but I cleared everything out a couple of days back.

Great mod, thanks for this, but I have some problems with it. Somehow the mod only seems to work in custom battles, unit sizes are doubled and works perfectly, but when I start a new campaign, the vanilla unit sizes are loaded again

I was also wondering how much the Roman Units were nerfed? Thanks so much

is this compatible with the new beta patch (#3)

Content Emeritus

that is yet to be tested, but I'll be moving over most of my changes to the new patch3 architecture, to make sure that I get all the changes in. That said, it should work, but the next update will include the changes in whatever tables that are overwritten by LoB

Hmm. Units in the latest patch with this mod installed have the morale of a goat. I'm winning battles way too easily as Epirus against sparta. My last 3000 v 4000 battle lasted 6 minutes total. The LoB mod is still working, because units are still very slow and unit cohesion is better.
    Supporter of Facial Hair for extra Manliness.

Default Re: Lines of Battle: Rome 2

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    Have you played with the battle entity radius yet, to try and reduce the bloby-ness of melee?

Good idea about the fatigue too, I can run my troops across the map and hit the enemy before even getting a little tired (1km!!!!! IMPOSSIBLE)
    might look into this whenever i can upgrade thsi rig.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Gunny View Post
    Pick which version you want (Larger sizes are 2x unit size, Moderate is 1.5 and Vanilla is... vanilla sizes)
    Hi, i like this mod but can you please tell me what i have to do get exact 100 men per meele infantry? i have red a tutorial where i had to use ESF, but this program won't save my changes.. Can anyone tell me please?

Hi,

your mod is in my opinion the best gameplay mod so far. I want you to ask if you will change something to let the AI build siege weapons or in other words not only trys to burn down my gates. in my whole time of the game the AI never attacked me with for example siege towers, thats a big disappointment.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Despite of my high end rig and my will to mantain extreme setting on unit details I've found a good deal between image quality and sizes with your lines of battle_medium sizes. A little maeningful effort to have more impressive units. thanks for this. And now what about BAI: on land I've tested romans against mostly phalanx units. I must notice NO blobbing meleeand hurricane suicidal cavalry. Units remains distingued as promised. What a job, guys thank'u. Something about(may they can help you on your way): TESTUDO: when ordered to a 240/320 men unit they form a long "snake" of shields. they form a long rectangle testudo NOT a square (or a form near to seem a square).

THANK YOU for this mod. Been enjoying it extremely. No one else got the right combination of slow heavy infantry, cohesive units, and reduced offensive abilities like you did. The feel of all of Radious' mods are completely wrong in my opinion, but I think people are beginning to realize that there are other, better options out there. Glad to see that you're working on an update and I hope you stick around. Of the 15 or so mods I've got running, this one is by far the best.

I would just like to say that I have tried a number of different combat mods such as Close Combat. Lines of Battle is in my opinion easily the best combat mod there is, combat last a Long time, units really do create 'lines of battle'. My only criticism is that maybe unit speeds for heavy infantry could be further increased by a small amount, other than that i have nothing really to add.