View Poll Results: Do battles end to fast ?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

155 94.51%
  • No

9 5.49%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle Tempo way to fast.

Default Re: Battle Tempo way to fast.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlylars View Post
    Yeah a bit fast a battle should last 10-20 if its full stack that is.
    and 15-30 in siege.
    My longest battle so far have lasted for 20 min a village defense.
    And my battles avrage around 10 or so.
    I agree, full stacked battles are way way way to short... imagine a battle between thousands of troops.... that last for just a couple of minutes...that's just stupid...
    Sieges are also way to short...in fact, i can't understand how someone can enjoy a battle if it is over that quickly. I mean, haven't they tested this first ? it seems so rushed... :-(

Yes, they are much too fast, melee ends too fast with one side routing, the whole thing doesnt feel right.

Two armies - if they are about the same size and about the same quality - should wrestle with each other in an epic way, they should clash together and a bloody, exhausting fight should ensue, where a good flanking attack can turn the tide of battle and a clever response from the otrher general can balance things out again. It should feel to the player as if such a bloody, gruesome, exhausting battle takes hours before he can secure vioctory for his troops. Winning something like that should feel like an achievement and like something you had to put some effort in.

And sometimes, when you know your troops are going to win, you want to watch the men fight and you want to enjoy the onslaught.

The game is about battles, right? Why are they so fast-paced then that you get the feeling CA thought we wanted them to be over as quickly as possible? As the battles are now they aren't epic in any way. I can rather reinstall Rome 1 and Roma Surrectum 2 on top of that if I want to have fun.

I actually like the speed. My smaller skirmishes last about 5 minutes while my larger battles are 10-15, allowing me to play with my various armies and try and win on the campaign map. I wasn't a fan of the longer battles for the most part. There have been exceptions, but I still can flank and maneuver in the newer, shorter battles, so I really don't see the problem.

I agree. It is way too fast. I was afraid CA would do this, and my greatest fear has come true. Also notice how your units bunch up and morph into each other in combat? if you tell 2 units to attack an enemy unit theyll morph into 1 unit that has twice as many men. This is ridiculous and incredibly unrealistic! They should be more spread out and the battle tempo should be MUCH slower. I preferred Roma Surretum II battle speed..

Zaar's Avatar Semisalis

yep same crap like shogun again... where are the old good battles again...? will we ever see it again? or is it now too realistic that i canīt be longer? Actually itīs just the start and a clash and itīs over and no enjoyment of the neat grafic

The worst part is, that everyone told CA they should slow down...and now we have the mess. They completely ignored us, always said "it's slower than Shogun 2, just looking so fast, because...".

And now look what they've done! Supersonic battles!

So what may they (or we refering to modders) do?
    I will go, as some people pointed out, with more morale, more defense for the units, and less speed.
    When I was watching the first battle I thought it was on speed mod... but no way, it was just like that.
    Seriously, I respect whoever wants a 5 mins battle but I've been playing TW since almost the beginning, and
    I don't want to play such a short kind of battle. And actually, looking at the poll, mostly everyone agrees.
    Just wait till someone fixes it...

Broken battles. I am not even referring to speed and bugs, that will be fixed. Everything is broken. Shogun 1, MTW 1, and modded RTW 1 look like genius games, with incredible battles. Just a waste of resources. 13 years of worsening the quality of the battles. The field battles were the reason why I enjoyed the games, from Shogun 1 on. It went from fairly good to abject. Are these Roman cohorts, Greek morae, Macedonian taxeis? First, in years 2000-2003, with Shogun 1 and MTW 1 I thought that they are trying a simulation, and it was the best RTS PC simulation of battles. Now... a console joke for kids. Goodbye.

battles are way to fast,kill rates to high, run speed of units, morale to low.as for how long a campaign takes, I want to play a campaign that never ends.

“I am in fact, a hobbit in all but size”― J.R.R. Tolkien

Usually when users complain about battles being too fast, CA and CA fanboys jump up saying "we can't make battles realistic, because real battles/sieges lasted hours or months". And that's b$, because nobody wants a 6 hour long battle, but c'mon, at least a 10 minutes average, a 16 minutes average, it's not that long, and it allows more tactical depth (if IA managed to actually form a line).Also, and this is offtopic and completly subjective, TW needs less graphics and much more troops.

its funny prerealese, everyone gave me shi$ for saying slow down speed, know everyone agrees with me.

“I am in fact, a hobbit in all but size”― J.R.R. Tolkien

Yes......every battle has been about ten minutes....and on campaign I rarely get to fight that much.....I actually welcome slave revolts...It's some of few chances I actually get to fight big armies....

All of you saying how battles are to easy? have you played any of the otehr total war games? They are extremly easy in all games I completed rome 1 with no losses at all on veary hard and i captured every single province in the game. in Shogun 2 i have to try to lose battles especily in Fall of the samurai.

Naked Emperor's Avatar Centenarius

Ok in a custom battles I took a Spartan Hoplite and a Triari and made them clash. They held formation and it was an even fight after charging each other, but what was amazing is that the fight between them lasted over 10 minutes. They held formations so only the front ranks fought and the Triari routed when they had around 30 men left (ultra size 160 men) and the Spartans had around 60.

So the mechanics for epic fights are there so I put much blame on the battles on the A.I. I've played around 40 hours with Sparta, Rome and Egypt and my experience is that the A.I is in a such a horrible state that it can't fight. A.I units run around chaotically and do nothing of use, especially when on defense, or they will just stand while you murder them with missiles. Siege fights? Just avoid the A.I and take the victory points, settlement fights? Avoid the A.I and take the victory point. Is the A.I besieging your walled city? Don't you worry, you are lucky if they get into the city at all, numerous times I've had to wait until the battle timer is over because the A.I does nothing.

But in my experience the A.I just runs back and forth not knowing what to do. Also the stacks I've fought in my 100 turns as the Romans are Tribal spearmen, tribal levies, crap unit and more craptastic units. In 100 turns I've failed to see a professional army and this is on VH, sometimes the A.I brings a couple of medium units and that's it. I hardly ever fight field battles, the CAI just ignores the stack I'm bringing to their settlements and just sail away like idiots or run off somewhere else. Often I've seen a full to a half stack blockading a port for over dozen turns and not assaulting a empty settlement, and when I've declared war on them, because I can't assault the settlement their blockading which is pretty idiotic when I'm coming from land, the stack still just blockades while I capture their settlements!!!!! WTF!! The A.I is so broken it isn't funny and you come to realize it the more you play.

I mean winning Shogun 2 on very hard was tough and exciting but Rome 2 very hard is cakewalk, it's the easiest TW game I've ever played. I mean as Sparta I took out Epirus in 5 turns on VH, I maybe could have done it in 4 turns but I doubt it because of the distance I had to march and it wasn't hard, the only hard part that kept me from steamrolling everything is settlement happiness but after getting my first revolt and seeing what a crap army it spawned I'm not worried anymore, now it is just a useful mechanic too quickly bleed off unhappiness and level my armies :/

First I was at a loss what to build, but now it's dead simple. Food, public order and libraries until I hit 200% research and centralized troop production center in at least 1 province or more as you expand. The money making buildings are optional because you'll not want for money anyway, the money comes from the primary settlement building when you upgrade them..I even lower taxes for better public order because money isn't issue.

When I'm fielding Legionaries against some levy spearmen the battle lasts only seconds because
    A) The legionaries throw their pila taking out 20 men and then charge and the levies just rout on impact
    B) The A.I starts running around in circles instead of committing their men to the fight, I engage them and instead of letting them fight the A.I tries to order them to fight some other unit, resulting in that I'm assaulting their back.
    C) The first tier units are way too crappy, the gap between a hastati and a tribal spearmen is too vast and the morale is too low. One hastati can probably defeat 3 tribal spearmen units.

I quickly learned that I needed 2-3 hastati and 1 triari general to take garrisoned settlements at the start of the game and the Romans are vastly overpowered.

So if the C.A.I would step up their game and start fielding decent units and the B.A.I would use them effectively then we would see longer fights.

Well I was only going to post about battle speed and how I think bad A.I affects it but I felt the need to rant
    No battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy
    - Field Marshall Helmuth Carl Bernard von Moltke -

Radious Battle Mod is the answer

Baleur's Avatar Biarchus

Mods.

Laetus

There is a poll in the offical forum. Vote there because I think that the poll is watched by CA. Vote there and perhaps they will make it slower.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...tle-Speed-Poll

This is my biggest gripe with the game.

I liked the battle tempo of Medieval 2. Those units had some 'meat' to them while fighting. I agree Rome2 is way too fast. It just feels wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyspolir View Post
    I liked the battle tempo of Medieval 2. Those units had some 'meat' to them while fighting. I agree Rome2 is way too fast. It just feels wrong.

Just my thoughts exactly, Medieval 2 TW had the best battle tempo of all total war games... i would love to see CA, do what they must do, and change this. ( or make it "adjustable")

Yeah I agree I had one battle so far that lasted about 10 min.The rest have been no longer than 5.I am very early on in a Junia campaign but from what I have seen it is way to fast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast