Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: [Gaming Staff HS] The Powers of Arda

Chieftain Khuzaymah's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [Gaming Staff HS] The Powers of Arda.

Quote Originally Posted by PandaChef View Post
    OotM. Rohan seems to have spawned in a whole new stack filled with some elite troops and 3 or 4 elite generals lol.

http://www.filedropper.com/poaootm19
    The fun thing about AI. Once they have only one settlement left, I believe a script spawns a full stack with a deceased FL, enjoy ^^

--------

Undefended Azanulimbar-Dum taken.

Turn 20 begins, Gondor up!

http://www.filedropper.com/poagondor20
    Last edited by Chieftain Khuzaymah; May 17, 2014 at 05:28 PM.
    Most Promising Youngblood TATW: Chieftain Khuzaymah

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Gondor?

knicolas2's Avatar Senator

http://www.filedropper.com/poa-dale-20

Sorry for the delay:
    got my laptop in repair, dvd of mtw2 broken, was not able to find a sub in even one of my hotseats

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

Well, Erebor is lost. I can’t compete with the Dwarves excellent extra movement bonuses. Dain has +25%, and another guy has +15%. I’ve had no luck in that regard the entire game. Bard’s little “Map of Middle Earth” doesn’t do much of anything.

I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t played this as well as I could have. Certainly not well enough to overcome the Dwarves’ movement advantage. But the armies of Dale will survive to fight another day, even if we have to lose some cities.

On a brighter note, the rogue Dwarven general is finally caught and killed.

Dwarves up:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwL...it?usp=sharing

Screenshots:

Nice's Avatar Biarchus

Most Feared Warlord: Nice

Most Dreaded Commander: Nice

JWANT's Avatar Senator

SE played, Mordor subbed, and Isengard is up!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yy...sengard_20.sav

I am going to be away for ten days or so and so can the dwarves or the admin sub me whilst I am away

Aldor's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by joerock22 View Post
    Well, Erebor is lost. I can’t compete with the Dwarves excellent extra movement bonuses. Dain has +25%, and another guy has +15%. I’ve had no luck in that regard the entire game. Bard’s little “Map of Middle Earth” doesn’t do much of anything.

I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t played this as well as I could have. Certainly not well enough to overcome the Dwarves’ movement advantage. But the armies of Dale will survive to fight another day, even if we have to lose some cities.

On a brighter note, the rogue Dwarven general is finally caught and killed.
    In case you weren't aware of this...

Every general outside of a settlement with all of his movement points spent (including his own bodyguard, so move him in-out army to spend those) gets a chance on a level of +movement trait.

You can also reload on adoptions to get a good native +movement trait (which combined with previous trick can yield massive bonusses).

I wondered how Nice got those traits when I played vs him and I did some research on it long ago.

It's probably the most important advice I can give for Third Age hotseating. Even 10% is UBER important.

Only with that knowledge I started to make progress on him, training my generals every turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow2daknee View Post
    Please no, they're a dead faction and the only reason why you want them human controlled is so you can use his army against me.
    My original idea was to keep Rohan alive, enough to fight vs Mordor. I even informed them of your invasion and troop location beforehand. Saruman of many colors, mate.
    Last edited by Aldor; May 30, 2014 at 09:47 PM.
    Retired GS member, admin and local moderator in Hotseat Subforum. Voted best TATW admin.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Aldor View Post

Every general outside of a settlement with all of his movement points spent (including his own bodyguard, so move him in-out army to spend those) gets a chance on a level of +movement trait.

You can also reload on adoptions to get a good native +movement trait (which combined with previous trick can yield massive bonusses).
    I believe I have been training my generals, using all of their MPs. It's relatively easy with infantry bodyguards like Dale has. I just haven't gotten any luck.

The reloading on adoptions I didn't know. I thought the guy you could adopt was always the same no matter how many times you reloaded.

I believe I have been training my generals, using all of their MPs. It's relatively easy with infantry bodyguards like Dale has. I just haven't gotten any luck.

The reloading on adoptions I didn't know. I thought the guy you could adopt was always the same no matter how many times you reloaded.
    Yes and no.

Adoptions at the start of the turn are almost never good. You can't reload those.

Man of the hour adoptions, you can reload until your get the much needed movement trait. You need to redo the battle and perform the reload trick to change the random numbers before you start the battle, you get a different adoptee that way.

It's very cheap, but pro hotseaters have uber generals so I assume they used this trick to death.

Get crap generals/family members killed, so you can get loads of man of the hour opportunities. Reload to get them killed faster.

Being a Harad family member was a major occupational hazard in my campaign once I found this out.

I would have loved to add a rule against this... But you can't check it as admin, so players are pretty much required to do the tedious work - EVERY FCKING TURN - if you're serious about hotseating.

Unless you deny adoption all together (Pretty good rule in my opinion.)
    Last edited by Aldor; May 31, 2014 at 08:45 AM.
    Retired GS member, admin and local moderator in Hotseat Subforum. Voted best TATW admin.

Citizen

Ah, I see. That sounds like a lot of work. I honestly don't know if I'll bother with it. This game is supposed to be fun, not a chore.

Thanks for the info, though.

Ah, I see. That sounds like a lot of work. I honestly don't know if I'll bother with it. This game is supposed to be fun, not a chore.

Thanks for the info, though.
    I had to spend ages every turn on stuff like that when versing pro's.

I did only OK until I started researching on how Nice had these advantages.

That was my main issue with hotseating. It is so focused on doing the required tricks...

After over 2-3 hours I could actually start thinking what I wanted to decide tactically and start to play. One of the main reasons I quitted (apart from real life).

The problem for me is, these tricks are all required versus similar skill players to win. However, if both sides use them they don't give any advantage and are just a chore.

That's why with numerous rules I came up with, I tried to eliminate some tricks...

Shortly put: if you want to win, forget having fun (apart from pleasing results).

Forts/ships/starting generals make Westeros to some extend superior tactically. You actually got some chance if your diplomacy and skill is good due to decent unit balance against equally skilled players, even with an inferior faction.
    Last edited by Aldor; May 31, 2014 at 11:49 AM.

Arrow2daknee's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Aldor View Post

I wondered how Nice got those traits when I played vs him and I did some research on it long ago.

It's probably the most important advice I can give for Third Age hotseating. Even 10% is UBER important.

Only with that knowledge I started to make progress on him, training my generals every turn.
    that's so tryhard, I was fine sticking with my regular generals and my level 2 spies, I don't even want to know how you guys level up spies so fast...

Citizen

Leveling up spies isn't that hard. Sometimes it takes a handful of reloads, but if you can have very spy do something every turn, they level up pretty fast.

This HS is so slow... Wolf has gone away for a week but Nice hasn't been on since 30th so hasn't subbed him.

Arrow2daknee's Avatar Vicarius

Leveling up spies isn't that hard. Sometimes it takes a handful of reloads, but if you can have very spy do something every turn, they level up pretty fast.
    This is one of the reasons I quit hotseats, I would have to do all these boring tedious things to keep up with most of the experienced players, and almost everyone who plays TATW hotseats nowadays is experienced.

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Subbed tha orcs.

Chieftain Khuzaymah's Avatar Domesticus

Most Promising Youngblood TATW: Chieftain Khuzaymah

knicolas2's Avatar Senator