Thread: The Forts Thread: Where to put them and how to best to use them {WIP}

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Icon3 The Forts Thread: Where to put them and how to best to use them {WIP}

Facts: Cost: $500, plus cost of unit{s} used to keep it occupied. Forts are wooden and are ment to be temporary, so they will fade away during the end turn if unoccupied.

Uses:

* As Strategic choke point holders.
    * To buy time for withdrawing or summoning a response force. It usually takes the enemy stack two-three turn to siege each fort.
    * Temporary defense{units in enemy territory, especialy solitary generals}, .
    * Used to whittle down enemy forces by the use of suicide squads.

Campaign Map placement: Here's a list of places to use them on the campaign map.

1. NW/NE of Bylazora between the mountain peaks. This effectively cuts of the approaches to Greece from Dacia. Battle map terrain without the fort is a giant bowl. Height all but ensures victory to the defender.

Kay now tell us from your experiances ....

Where to put forts and how to best to use them. Ready, set, go!!...
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; September 01, 2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: adding stuff
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Default Re: The Forts Thread: Where to put them and how to best to use them {WIP}

1: I use forts at my end of the bridges to try to prevent the AI from invading and "raiding" my farms and such. I put two forts, one fort holding the end of the bridge with a small force while I put a huge force in a fort near the fort that is at my end of bridge to counter the attacking force.

2: Sometimes I use forts to hold down a choke points (mountains ETC) with one unit and then gather the rest of my army to face the invading armies in case of an invasion.

3: Or I hire one mercenary and build a forts between my army and the enemy so that it would cost the enemy more movement points to attack at my army, and depending on the situation I can retreat if I think the AI has a better army then I do and the AI won't be able to catch me if I retreat.
    Last edited by Spartan999; September 01, 2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Need to number them

Default Re: The Forts Thread: Where to put them and how to best to use them {WIP}

Thats all true but IMO if you are waiting for an attack then bridges are better covered by a mobile army than a fort. Because if your army gets attacked you will fight on the bridge, and defending a bridge is a sure cheap victory even if you don't have archers.

Indefinitely Banned

Small troops are also excellent for cutting out communications. I always send a few detachments in Scythia rivers, to prevent diplomatic actions between the European and the Asian factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayfins View Post
    Thats all true but IMO if you are waiting for an attack then bridges are better covered by a mobile army than a fort. Because if your army gets attacked you will fight on the bridge, and defending a bridge is a sure cheap victory even if you don't have archers.
    Changed it to:
    I put two forts, one fort holding the end of the bridge with a small force while I put a huge force in a fort near the fort that is at my end of bridge to counter the attacking force.
    Kind of forgot to put that info

Cleomenes III's Avatar Civis

What do you do if the enemy besieges the fort? If you attack it means you have to sally forth and leave the fort thus removing the advantage. If you wait for the enemy to assault you will lose men during all the turns you are besieged?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleomenes III View Post
    What do you do if the enemy besieges the fort? If you attack it means you have to sally forth and leave the fort thus removing the advantage. If you wait for the enemy to assault you will lose men during all the turns you are besieged?
    It would help to know which plan your talking about. Cause plan 2 and 3 those units in the forts are supposed to be sacrifice for me to buy time and strike at the enemy later.
    Plan one I already explained that a small force hold the end of my bridge to prevent any AI enemy from going into my territory at all, while the heavily garrisoned fort near the small garrisoned fort is there to counter the enemy on the bridge that is besieging the small garrison fort.