Thread: Swapping a model's animations in MS3D

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

Default Swapping a model's animations in MS3D

Hey, so I just created a model for a spearman out of an axman model. Now I want to sub in a spearman's animations, but I'm not sure how to do that. I am using Blender for the modeling and MS3D to put it all together. Thanks!

Default Re: Swapping a model's animations in MS3D

You need the unpacked animations from the tutorials section and GOAT 1.1 for its animerge function. If you want to alter the anims you have to do each one individually and create a new anim set in descr_skeleton.

Is it possible to just swap in an existing skelleton?

BM309K58SMERCH's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
    Is it possible to just swap in an existing skelleton?
    No, that will not work. The skeleton is independent from the animation. If you do swap a skeleton, then you would've achieved nothing, and you would have to re-rig/re-assign all the faces to bones again.
    Just simply use the Animerge function of GOAT.

By the way, your question isn't so clear.

-You don't need to use animerge at all if you're trying to get your new model in-game. Just save the model (make sure your model's faces are assigned well), make a new BMDB and EDU entry for the unit, using the spear animations for the unit in the BMDB, which if you're using the default M2TW animations is called M2TW_Spear.

-If you actually want to merge the spear animations with your model (persumably so that you can check out how it performs in MS3D), you use Animerge.

OK, I'll try that, thanks!

The .mesh files store neither animations nor skeletons. It does not matter. All you need to do, as BM pointed out, is to have spearman animation assigned to your unit in export_descr_unit. Simply copy other spearmen's entry change name, the soldier and model lines (refering to your model entry in BMDB).

Sandy