Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rise of Three Kingdoms - Unit Roster Overhaul Preview

Icon4 Rise of Three Kingdoms - Unit Roster Overhaul Preview

Rise of Three Kingdoms
    Unit Roster Overhaul
    Preview

Here's the long awaited preview of the upcoming changes to the Unit Roster, including brand new models.

New Unit Rosters, Weapons and Armor, including visual armor upgrade progression

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by The Blade That Was Broken; August 27, 2013 at 05:54 PM.

Default Re: Rise of Three Kingdoms - Unit Roster Overhaul Preview

Very nice but the sheilds look out of place? Maybe i dont really know how they looked historically though.

Cant rep atm but this deserves +1

and you talk to me about complaining about not essential items like sound and music and economy lol the skins looked very nice before and these shields look really out of place

Lol yea i was just giving constructive critiscm but like i said im no expert on chinese sheilds

Nope, those shields are definetely not out of place. Consulted all historical books, even Chinese ones, all give me a picture of that shield.

I stand corrected good sir. I just did some research of my own and the pictures from the qin dynasty in 200bc show those same sheilds. Though i think their color could use some artistic liscense so they dont greatly contrast with the units outfit. Like maybe gray scale them a bit? The red and torquoise of them look a bit comical even though historically accurate.

Nope

I think the green is weathered and not actual color. Qin empire used bronze which greens with exposure due to the copper. Also by time three kingdoms rolled around they were using iron. And the other sheild is brown with gold trim not really red and black like you have. In the last pic If you switch the red to gold and make the middle of sheild more brown i think it would match picture much better. now i could never model as good as u so dont take my constructive critiscm the wrong way.

On another note i figured the sheilds on the current mod are taken from movie adaptations. I was trying to find historical pictures of thosr but came across nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gongsunzan View Post
    On another note i figured the sheilds on the current mod are taken from movie adaptations. I was trying to find historical pictures of thosr but came across nothing.
    That's why we're removing the old models, as they aren't historical (some of them I can picture from the Northern and Southern Dynasty)

Well keep it up my friend i look forward to seein more in the future

The bronze I'll be changing, but I think I'll leave the other alone.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Thank goodness, the old shields have been bugging me ever since I first say them (three days ago, lol).
    These shields look much better.

I saw this thing on youtube where this army made a "turtle formation" by Liu Bei i think, I'm sure you've seen it, well those shields were full length, will those types of shields by used for some units in the future?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

I think those are movie based. They are more than likely not historically accurate

Maybe. (as in *wink* *wink*)
    Last edited by The Blade That Was Broken; August 28, 2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: the clearer the better, no?

I think Gongsunzan is right, reading through some threads on the China history forum and Historium, TBTWB seems to have gotten the right length; they're not full sized, about the size of Macedonian Pike Phalanx.

The bright orange/red ones look so out of place and to bright

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13173856

Those shields are made of lacquered wood. They may look out of place, but they are accurate.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

How are you going to handle variations in units for diffrent regions? It is likely the troops were equiped relatively the same throughout the empire but i was thinking maybe some slight ethnic diffrences in the soldiers with slightly diffrent stats depending on region not really major armor changes. Then you just add some region specific troops to the rosters and your all set.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

There are going to be stat differences between regions; there already are, in fact. Ba-Shu infantry units have improved defense skill, Yong-Liang cavalry have improved charge, etc. One thing we are doing is, starting with tier 2 units, they will have small variations in their arms. For example, all 6 regional tier 2 troops will have different helmet styles from the other regions.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Thats a good way to vary it. Not too subtle but enough to tell some regional deviations. The current models make it seem like the factions are their own empires instead of leaders all under the han fighting in civil war.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast