Thread: Executing Soldiers Crash

Laetus

Default Executing Soldiers Crash

Did a quick search and didn't find any other threads on this, sorry if there is.

Was playing a Twilight Campaign and got into a war with the Gerudo. After a while i decided to execute the prisoners instead of ransoming them and i heard the sound clip for the execution but a second later the game ctd with the normal "somethings wrong pal" message.

I have so far only ever ransomed prisoners so idk if this happens always when you execute, only with the Twilight executing Gerudo, or with other factions as well. I'll check into it though an see if i can get it to happen again with some more info.

Default Re: Executing Soldiers Crash

I had a similar problem yesterday after a battle against the Fairies in my Labrynna campaign. However, I can't say for sure if it was because I executed the enemy units or because I had captured a settlement as a consequence of the battle (Mothulus).

Also, I experienced the same crash after a Gerudo vs Hylian battle... Something is definitely going on there.

Laetus

Ya the instance i described was an open field battle, so no settlements were changing hands.

I know the battle did not cause the ctd because i was really conflicted about the decision to execute the Gerudo prisoners and waited a few seconds before executing them. One second after the button being pressed an hear the sound clip briefly it crashed.

Laetus

*Sorry, can't seem to find an edit feature...*

Reloaded the save an fought the same battle under almost the exact same circumstances. CTD the same as last time. I heard the sound clip an a moment later i get the "sorry pal" message.

Ill try some other races an see if i can recreate this with them.

Laetus

Played some Lanayru, executed a lot of Hyrulians and not a single ctd. Also found that Wild Animals once defeated would give the option to ransom them as well like they were a real faction but i think it has already been brought up before. But for Wild Animals you can ransom them and it would seem they will never pay an you can execute them with no CTD.

Also to the Twilight campaign i found that ransoming prisoners and the Gerudo deciding to not pay an let me execute would CTD as well.

Civis

I seem to get this error playing with the Gerudo against Hyrule.

The battle is on open fields with Zidian leading the main force and reinforcements arriving from a captain level force. The game crashes after the decision to execute the prisoners has been done and the second stack has died from the strategic map. Perhaps something to do with dealing two stacks at the same time?
    I have captured one of their generals and troops before and executed them before, there was no CTD that time.

Anyone have any light to shed on this issue? It's kind of annoying to let the enemy have thousands troops back....

I know this is an old thread, but I think it's worth adding some things.

I got this CTD a lot, since Hyrule seems to like sending 2 armies together to reinforce each other. It happens when either executing directly or when they don't pay the ransom. Executing single stacks or less seems to work fine, and executing 2 small armies (that make up less than a stack combined) works as well, which suggests to me that the issue is the number of units being executed, maybe because it's over the 20 unit limit for an army.

Might be something worth looking into.

I often have that same problem, and log-files oddly enough seem to blame lacking tga-files, which by my understanding are images used as captains and generals portraits. I can't understand why it would be the problem, but this is my best clue.

Sadly this bug is game-breaking as I can't attack or defend properly against multiple-stack armies. Especially later in the game enemy uses loads of minor stacks and none of the generals even has the "Night Attack"-ability to surpass the problem. I could perhaps give the ability to my generals through console commands unless UndyingNephalim has deleted it from the files, but it would not help me in siege defences or defences overall. A sure tactic is to lose against the enemy or free all prisoners but in all situations that just can't be afforded nor does it feel "natural" for a faction i war.

Night Attack is definitely in the game, the Ikana generals start with it.

Does it definitely crash if their minor stacks add up to less than one full stack (i.e. less than 20 units) and you execute?

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Even I get the executing prisoners crash sometimes, I really have no clue what causes it. My logs point nowhere. My theory is that it's actually sound related, but again nothing. It seems like no other mod has this issue too, I've looked around everywhere for solutions.

Civis

I haven't actually gotten this a single time since updating to the new version. So at least the rate of occurrence has diminished to very low for me, as to why, I have absolutely no clue. It used to be two out of three times playing as Gerudo and executing Hylians and my last game was Gerudo where I steamrolled the Hylians while cutting their heads off at every chance.

I checked the tga file errors back in october, fixed them so I got a completely clean log and that's what it. A completely clean log even with all logging options enabled.

Have you fought more than one army at a time at any point?

After spent some time replaying the same god damn ing battle over 5 times, I've found the best way to get around is to just release the prisoners in multi stack battles. Not the best solution, but unless the enemy accepts your ransom, the execution will crash he game.

It's not just for executions; wiping out an army completely yields the same CTD. I've encountered an impassable turn as the Zora's due to this, as Hyrule insists on sending 5 individual units next to each other, and my hilariously op floodmasters just disintegrate them instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Comisar Kenny View Post
    It's not just for executions; wiping out an army completely yields the same CTD. I've encountered an impassable turn as the Zora's due to this, as Hyrule insists on sending 5 individual units next to each other, and my hilariously op floodmasters just disintegrate them instantly.
    You could attack them. Wipe out 1 single army. then retreat. Repeat as need.
    This work around may work for you. If not. try to fight one army at a time. If there is 2. pull back a bit on the world map. and wait to ketch them lone. or let them attack you. They can only move one army at a time. Which means that army is the first to have the option to attack you. which may fix the problem.