Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Titanium - Faction Preview

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Titanium - Faction Preview

Yeah, Ghor was forced in to a large extend, they were interested in the west but it was a very brief period, after the final collapse of all semblence of Seljuq power they briefly contested Persia versus the Khwarezmids, they came very close actually, but was ultimately defeated and throw back to Afghanistan.

My main argument for their inclusion in HURB was mainly

1. map balance (having no khawarzmids, the seljuq basically have the biggest starting faction AND a very safe eastern border that can be easily expanded into. this wasn't true historically, the Seljuq's was the other way around, after Malik Shah they basically didn't give a damn about anything west of Baghadad and focused entirely on their own internal conflicts in Persia and their struggle against various eastern powers. so i felt that we needed at least one faction on their east to make any sense. but it's a bunch of bad choices in 1100 between Ghor (Still very minor at the time and really just a bit off the map) Ghazvanid (already in their final decline phase in afghanistan and even further east.) Khawarezmids (not established yet, and a clear vassal to the Seljuiqs for quiet a while after their establishment. or something like the Kara-Khitan (that's wayyyyy further east.)

2. uniqueness : the problem with Khawazmids is also that they were in effect a successor state of the Seljuqs, the difference between the two was very limited, the Ghorids however were a Afghanistan based faction, they fight in a very different way.

Now if I'm a better mapper (or at least have the time to actually do it. ) I probably suggest we just expand the map a little further east and that solves a lot of the problems.

For Cilicia Armenia : yes one could contend that they aren't the most influential faction ever during that period , though the general thought is to make things much more interesting in Anatolia where as it was quiet bland in the past. the uniqueness factor was also very very high for them obviously, the alternatives would be a bunch of other islamic factions that would not really defer much from Rum / Seljuqs.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

I've been waiting for a late era campaign for SS for sooo long! Really happy to see the Titanium team putting some work into this period
    Last edited by isa0005; December 13, 2015 at 02:40 AM.

I did not get this map or these factions at all.

Why is Volga Bulgaria listed as a faction, but it's not playable?
    Last edited by paleologos; February 03, 2019 at 03:24 AM.

I realize this is an ancient thread, but were the Zengids ever considered as a faction? The 1100 start date is weird for the Turks. By then the empire was breaking down already. The Sultanate of Rum should also be a distinct faction, even if it's just a copy of the Seljuqs.

The Abbassids are included even though they never did very much after 1100.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

The Zenghids are in the SSHIP, if you're interested, perhaps because it starts 1132, so it's even more reasonable.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678