Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men marching during an unexpected ambush battle?

Default Men marching during an unexpected ambush battle?

Say you have a large Roman army. Suddenly, Barbarians attack it unexpectedly. Wouldn't it be cool to see your men march on the battle map since they don't know about the attack? I think it would look epic. Plus, it gives you the sense of 'surprise'. You can't help your men when they're first attacked, but you can help them when the enemy engages.

(probably might not happen. CA might just make it into another battle where you can't see the enemies, but you can set your battle formations -.-)

Btw, this is just a suggestion and a question. It is not a complaint so don't destroy me. Kkthx

Geuvesa's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Men marching during an unexpected ambush battle?

In Shogun 2 you start defending an ambush with all your troops in a marching column and you have no time to prepare, the ambusher however can set up his army on either side of the ambushed. I expect the Rome 2 system to be the same.

Meerv's Avatar Civis

Ca said you will be in marching formation and that you have the reach a point to escape (like in the teutoburg forest battle)

Quote Originally Posted by Meerv View Post
    Ca said you will be in marching formation and that you have the reach a point to escape (like in the teutoburg forest battle)
    if that would happen to my men, i d shout at the screen: Run through the Forest, Run!

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    if that would happen to my men, i d shout at the screen: Run through the Forest, Run!

CA Developer Icon Re: Men marching during an unexpected ambush battle?

Hi Daedric Consider your wish fulfilled. You have to wait for the enemy attack to begin before you can take control. Its a hell-of-a-rush trying to get out of an ambush alive.
    Last edited by C.I.F; August 13, 2013 at 07:17 AM.
    Total War Lead Designer for Battles

'On two occasions, I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answer come out?"
    I am not able to rightly apprehend the confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.'
    Mr. C. Babbage - Inventor of the Difference Engine
    "They couldn't hit an Elephant at this dist..."
    Last words of General John Sedgewick, Union General, 1864.

http://www.totalwar.com
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Tiro

Hey C.I.F. how about when we are the ones doing the ambushing?

Quote Originally Posted by C.I.F View Post
    Hi Daedric Consider your wish fulfilled. You have to wait for the enemy attack to begin before you can take control. Its a hell-of-a-rush trying to get out of an ambush alive.
    You sir, have just made my day. Many thanks for this info!
    | Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3 | I5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz| MSI GeForce GTX 670 | OCZ Intel Extreme 8G RAM |
    | Crucial SSD C300 64 | Samsung F3 1TB | Corsair Hydro H60 | Corsair HX 850W | Corsair 600T |

I would like to see an option in custom battle to do an ambush a bit like the ability to choose to do a siege battle. Therefore the defender would have no deployment and just start in a marching formation while the attacker could choose were to deploy.

When you are ambushing you deploy your troops in ambush positions and you have to be careful not to expose yourself to enemy sight. You have limited time to spring your trap

'On two occasions, I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answer come out?"
    I am not able to rightly apprehend the confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.'

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by theDaedricPrince View Post
    ....(probably might not happen. CA might just make it into another battle where you can't see the enemies, but you can set your battle formations -.-)....
    i probably played another total war game than you o_O

When someone is waiting to ambush you, you will become aware because the eye will disappear... element of surprise has gone...

EYE will disappear when enemy see you...

TotalWarker's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by jamreal18 View Post
    When someone is waiting to ambush you, you will become aware because the eye will disappear... element of surprise has gone...

EYE will disappear when enemy see you...
    You'll also be in an ambush battle, which is an even bigger giveaway

DogSoldierSPQR's Avatar Senator

Just like the Teutoberg gameplay footage. Your army will just be in one long line. Ambushers get to choose where they want to put what unit where and they can see all of your army. Also, they can deploy very close to you as well.
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ere!-(26-10-13)
    If you rep me, leave that beautiful name of yours so I know who you are
    That a salesperson at my door? Where my Gladius at??
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

IN ambush battle, I think there wont be EYE because its ambush battle but in normal land battle where there are trees.... the EYE will affect you...
    Last edited by jamreal18; August 13, 2013 at 08:26 AM.

When someone is waiting to ambush you, you will become aware because the eye will disappear... element of surprise has gone... EYE will disappear when enemy see you...
    As stated previously; The fact that a player is entering an ambush battle means they know they are going to get ambushed. When player armies are being ambushed, in an Ambush Battle, they are unable to act until the enemy spring the ambush or reveal their position to the ambushed troops. On a separate point: On a 2km x 2km battlefield, knowing that someone somewhere out there can see you doesn't say much, other than you are not hiding. We would recommend people play the game to see how that works.

But those eyes are too big... Its almost like the EYE of SAURON...

How about in normal land battles where there are trees or hills???

If you are running towards their trap, then the EYE disappears... "MEN RETREAT!"

Anyways, waiting how it works when the game release...
    Last edited by jamreal18; August 13, 2013 at 08:45 AM.

CIF...all the battlefields are 2km x2 km?

If you are running towards their trap, then the EYE disappears... "MEN RETREAT!"
    if i understand the line of sight system right, than this isn't how it works, your troops are seen if they are not behind some wood hills or something like that -> if nothing is between your troops and the enemy sauron is watching you

this won't happen often because some enemys will watch your movment (from far away) anyway

so you have to guess where enemy units might be

Pteradon's Avatar Foederatus

The game is getting better by the minute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast