Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Support, Bug Reports and Hot Fixes

Default Re: Support, Bug Reports and Hot Fixes

Great, you must have conquered almost 100 regions or more!

I seems that the Ebro treaty is still in vigor, with the Romans north and the Carthaginians south of the river. Did the Iberians survive?
    Creator of Rome Total History
    Rome 2 sucks, EB, RS and RTR were yesterday...
    Don't you feel like it's time to move on?
    Explore the ancient world, fight epic battles,
    conquer beautiful queens and princesses...
    Try a new groundbreaking mod:
    Experience Rome Total History!
    Play RTH or wait for Rome 3!

Thanks everybody for downloading and testing.
    Here is a little guide for debugging:

DEBUG:

Some bugs have been observed in the past and could reappear during gameplay. The following instructions may help to sort out and resolve eventual problems.

- Sometimes the game crashes while calculating the computer moves for the next turn. This is a bug of the vanilla game, increased in RTH due to the large number of units. To resolve the situation reload your last game save or autosave, but before clicking the Next Turn button move one or two of your units at random, just to create some different interaction with your neighbors. This helps the engine to create different algorithms and calculate the turn correctly. Then click Next Turn and watch how the game proceeds.

- Sometimes the game freezes while loading a battle. This means that you and your opponent are probably on a tiny landbridge and the engine cannot find enough room to deploy the armies on the battle map. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to exit the game and restart. Then reload and either avoid to enter the battle or resolve it in automatic. The map has over 100 land bridges and only a part of them has been tested. When you are on a land bridge, a tiny island or a narrow promontory you should always consider that the terrain might hinder the deployment of your armies. It is therefore a good advice to save your game before entering such a battle.

- Sometimes the game crashes while loading a battle. In this case you usually get an error message reading that the texture of a certain unit has not been found. This is a genuine bug owned to a missing file or a wrong line in the descr_model_battle.txt file. We have tried to eliminate all bugs of this kind, but if it happens please report the problem here on the forum and don't forget to annotate the missing file or the unit in question.

To continue the game you can either wait for a solution on the message board or resolve the battle in automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphos View Post
    Great, you must have conquered almost 100 regions or more!

I seems that the Ebro treaty is still in vigor, with the Romans north and the Carthaginians south of the river. Did the Iberians survive?
    The Iberians still hold some towns, but as you can see the carthaginian forces showed really dependable and managed to wipe out the Numidians, and rule the islands of Corsega and Sardinia, while taking cautious steps into Iberian Peninsula. Unfortunaly I lost the most current save I had, althought I had a backup a couple of years before my offensive. The romans took most of the Gauls, but they were in a middle of 3 great factions, the vast Germanic horde, the devastating celtic tribes, and the great Republic of Carthage! And to finish the Roman nightmare, a giant was waking up from the deserts of the East, the great Parthian Empire!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spain.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	304866
    You may notice that the Macedonians manage to outrule the Greek City League, but in the most part, they stayed neutral on that feral germanic expansion!

I'm glad that the Macedonians survived their crisis and became a decent power.

Did you play this in 1.3 or 1.4?

I ask because I have noticed that the Germans often perform surprisingly well, although they have almost nothing at the start.

In RTH 1.4 I have therefore reduced their manpower and added many more rebels in the German forests. This should slow their progress a bit, but I don't know if it is enough.

So if you tell me that you played 1.3, I know why they were so strong, but if it was 1.4 I should weaken them even more.

Don't worry about it, this game was started way back at 1.2, I am currently playing as the Iberians, will see how the AI expansion will be on 1.4/1.5.

ReaperXM's Avatar Foederatus

I have been having a CTD problem. I've been trying to play as Pontus. I always target the two close rebel cities. The problem is, with the lower city, I load the battle, I route the hoplites, and then my game crashes. I have show_err on, but it isn't telling me anything. I have a clean download in a clean RTW file. Any idea what is wrong?

I confirm. I attacked Mazaka and had the same problem. For the moment, I don't know the cause, but I've got a few clues and I'll let you know as soon as I find it out. Sorry for the inconvenience!

After a few tests, I've found out the reason of the CTD, but not exactly the cause. It appears that the CTD is caused by the Shrine of Battleforge in Mazaka, but it is not clear why. In any case there seems to be a simple solution.

Go to the folder RTH/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign and there open the descr_strat.txt file.

In the file search the following line:

"region Cappadocia"

This entry contains the buildings in Mazaka and the entire entry is as follows:

settlement
    {
    level large_town
    region Cappadocia

year_founded 0
    population 2200
    settlement_tax 50
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator pontus
    building
    {
    type core_building governors_villa
    }
    building
    {
    type shrine_of_battleforge shrine_of_battleforge_temple
    }
    building
    {
    type market trader
    }
    building
    {
    type missiles practice_field
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_roads roads
    }
    }

Now move the temple down two positions or replace the entire entry with the following:

settlement
    {
    level large_town
    region Cappadocia

year_founded 0
    population 2200
    settlement_tax 50
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator pontus
    building
    {
    type core_building governors_villa
    }
    building
    {
    type market trader
    }
    building
    {
    type missiles practice_field
    }
    building
    {
    type shrine_of_battleforge shrine_of_battleforge_temple
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_roads roads
    }
    }

Strange enough, this works and now the battle evolves smoothly!

I recommand everybody to edit this file before starting a campaign in the surroundings of Cappadocia. Soon I will post an upgrade, but first I want to check a few other cities to see if there are more critical situations.

I'd really like to know if anybody heard of similar bugs or has an idea why the current entry caused the problem?

Well, I really wasn't very much convinced of my last post. For the moment it seemed to work, but today I did some more testing and the battle crashed again. So the temple is probably not the cause.

Further investigation revealed instead that there is an odd officer in the Pontic army, exactly in the Lycaonian Hillmen unit. Being an archer in a javelin unit, this officer is probably causing the crash.

After correcting it, this time I had no problem with the battle, which seems to confirm my theory, although it's not yet a certain proof.

To exclude the officer from the unit, please go to the RTH/data folder and open the file export_descr_unit.txt.

Search for the entry "lycaonian hillmen". The seventh line in the entry is

officer [tab] barb_scythian_noblewoman

You can either cancel the line or put a semicolon in front of officer, like this:

;officer [tab] barb_scythian_noblewoman

Restart the game and restart the battle. If you still have problems, let me know.

I've been experiencing a CTD shortly after the Marius reforms. I can no longer load the later saved games from the main screen or continue campaign option. I can load an earlier saved games before I created reform units. I can also load an earlier save, then load a later save, but then it crashes when I select next turn. I noticed someone mentioned turning on show_err, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm running RTH 1.4 on Rome: Total War Gold through Steam. Any thoughts?

The problem you are reporting might be connected with a unit, an ancillary or a historic event. Unfortunately you're not giving much information. Which year did this happen? Which faction are you playing? What were you doing when it happened? Can you load the last working save? Did you follow the Debug Instructions? Before you click the next turn button, you should move two or three units at random. Tell me if that solved the problem.

The problem you are reporting might be connected with a unit, an ancillary or a historic event. Unfortunately you're not giving much information. Which year did this happen? Which faction are you playing? What were you doing when it happened? Can you load the last working save? Did you follow the Debug Instructions? Before you click the next turn button, you should move two or three units at random. Tell me if that solved the problem.
    I'm playing as the Romans, the year is 230 BC. I moved enough units to block the spy and it worked for a turn or two...until another spy entered Corinth during the AI turn and it froze the game. Both spies were from the Greeks League. Also, the game has also been extremely glitchy since the Marius reforms. I can load prior saves, but all from before the Marius reforms. Other than moving units before next turn, what are the other debug options. I may have missed them if they are listed somewhere else.

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit lost about your problems. I've checked the historic events around 230 BC and they should be okay. How long is it since Marian Reforms happened, how many turns?
    You think that the problem is connected to a spy in Corinth? That's a possibility. Maybe the spy is expelled and cannot find a space where to go? Then he would be expelled into the sea and that might cause a crash. Corinth is a bit problematic under that aspect, because it's very crowded. So try this: Go back a few turns and built as many assassins as you can. Then send them to kill any spy in Corinth or surroundings. At the same time remove eventual units blocking neighboring tiles around Corinth. If there are foreign diplomats or spies, it's easy. Just go on their tile with one of your units and drive them away. Afterwards remove your own units from the tiles. This will give the spies expelled from Corinth a place where to go. Tell me if that helped.

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit lost about your problems. I've checked the historic events around 230 BC and they should be okay. How long is it since Marian Reforms happened, how many turns?
    You think that the problem is connected to a spy in Corinth? That's a possibility. Maybe the spy is expelled and cannot find a space where to go? Then he would be expelled into the sea and that might cause a crash. Corinth is a bit problematic under that aspect, because it's very crowded. So try this: Go back a few turns and built as many assassins as you can. Then send them to kill any spy in Corinth or surroundings. At the same time remove eventual units blocking neighboring tiles around Corinth. If there are foreign diplomats or spies, it's easy. Just go on their tile with one of your units and drive them away. Afterwards remove your own units from the tiles. This will give the spies expelled from Corinth a place where to go. Tell me if that helped.
    Yep, that was totally it! I moved my other two units away from Corinth and it appeared to work for now. Just in case though, it's only been a couple of turns since the Marius reforms. I kind of think I may also have a saved game corruption somewhere too. I'm still not sure why the game crashes when I load certain saved games. I finally found where to turn off the auto save. For now, I'll keep playing this game until I can't any more and then I'll start over if I need to with no auto save.

Thanks again for the help. I really love the mod by the way. This was the original total war game that got me into the series. It's amazing what one can learn through video games!

Vielen Dank!

I'm glad I could help. Weiterhin viel Spaß!

Quote Originally Posted by Ender2436 View Post
    Yep, that was totally it! I moved my other two units away from Corinth and it appeared to work for now. Just in case though, it's only been a couple of turns since the Marius reforms. I kind of think I may also have a saved game corruption somewhere too. I'm still not sure why the game crashes when I load certain saved games. I finally found where to turn off the auto save. For now, I'll keep playing this game until I can't any more and then I'll start over if I need to with no auto save.

Thanks again for the help. I really love the mod by the way. This was the original total war game that got me into the series. It's amazing what one can learn through video games!

Vielen Dank!
    Well, now I'm getting another crash after a turn. I'm going to try to start over with a fresh install and new campaign. Any other setting recommendations?

hello
    I have a problem, after winning the 50 provinces error occurs and the game has closed
    please some sort of hint; D

I'm leaving for a holiday and won't be able to respond for a week or two.

I guess you played the normal campaign, but which faction? The Romans? Maybe there is something wrong with the victory message? I'll check that on my return.

In any case, I'd recommend to play the short campaign. Usually the task is harder (eliminate two or three powerful factions), and the game lasts longer. Last, but not least, you got better control over when you got enough. Theoretically you can play until you got 198 regions. Just leave one city to one of the factions you got to eliminate!

so the Romans, the Communication victory closes the game has ... a problem with the videos?
    because at the entrance to the Senate tab also closes with the game

Hello,
    I am playing RTH vers. 1.5 and I am really enjoying it but I have discovered a several bugs that cause CTDs. I am playing as Rome and a the game will crash after taking Sparta and if I attack Corinth on the battle map. Auto-resolving works just fine. Any ideas on a fix?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast