Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Suggestions/Ideas/Proposals

Default Re: Suggestions/Ideas/Proposals

Well, thinking about it, much easier would be to use the Armenian faction. Then you could immediately work on the strat file.
    Creator of Rome Total History
    Rome 2 sucks, EB, RS and RTR were yesterday...
    Don't you feel like it's time to move on?
    Explore the ancient world, fight epic battles,
    conquer beautiful queens and princesses...
    Try a new groundbreaking mod:
    Experience Rome Total History!
    Play RTH or wait for Rome 3!

Thanks for all the help Philadelphos! I experimented a bit modifying Saba in Extended Greek Mod to a Judaean faction and discovered the same things you told me, it will require a lot more than just the strat file. So after my experience with that, I believe I am ready to try it out in RTH. I noticed that the Maccabees were a subfaction of armenia in the strat file. I am guessing that if I use Armenia, I will not have to change the name roster in names.txt and descr_names unless I want to eliminate some of the Armenian names. It only took me several hours to totally convert Saba in XGM so I am hoping that this similarly will not take too long. I'm guessing I will need to dramatically change unit recruitment in export_descr_buildings no matter who I use.

Again, Thank you for the reply, the help, and the awesome mod you have created! I am looking forward to playing it a good bit once I get through my finals week

Yes, you're right.

I suggest the following:

Go to the Armenia faction and move the cities and the leader/units entries to the slave faction. Don't forget to put the sub-faction armenia tag to each leader.

Eliminate the family tree. Then go to the slave faction and find the Judaean leaders.

Here is the list:

Judaeans:
    - Mattathias
    - Judas Maccabaeus
    - Jonathan Maccabaeus
    - Simon Maccabaeus
    - John Hyrcanus
    - Judah Aristobulos
    - Alexander Jannaeus
    - Herod the Great

The Hasmoneans are only four generations, so I think you'll be able to enter them all in your family. You should add Herod's father, Antipater the Idumaean, I guess, and marry him to a daughter, maybe of John Hyrcanus. Move them all to Armenia, as well as the city of Jerusalem.

After you moved them to the armenia faction you can remove the sub-faction tag or leave it. Don't forget to remove the slave family tree which is by now disrupted.

An expert can do it all in half an hour. And then remain only the temples and units in the buildings file, as well as faction names (Judaean general, Judaean diplomat, etc.), and some cosmetic stuff like banners etc.

Keep me updated on your progress. Good luck for your finals.
    Last edited by Philadelphos; December 10, 2015 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks for the advice!

I just started to work on it. Would I need to add the armenian family tree to the rebel family tree? I just had a CTD so I will be trying to figure out what caused that.

So I just swapped the coordinates of the Armenian and Judaean characters, swap the settlements and see if that was stable. It wasn't.. So I went into the strat file and deleted the rebel diplomats in the forts in Judaea. Its still crashing. My thought process was that I could just swap the coordinates and settlements, make that work, and then edit the names, traits, ancillaries, and family tree from there on. The only character coordinates I kept the same were Herod's bc he was not in a fort.

If you have a CTD at scenario launch, the problem is almost certainly with the leader names. Each leader needs to be in the right faction, for which his name is enabled, otherwise you get a CTD with no comment.
    The forts should be no problem at all.
    Maybe the missing family tree for Armenia is a problem. I don't know for sure, but possibly you should have at least one leader in each faction's family tree. One person is enough and you can do the rest later.
    Last edited by Philadelphos; December 16, 2015 at 04:33 PM.

If you can't find the error, I'd suggest to start again and proceed gradually.
    You don't need to swap coordinates. Leave all leaders in their current position on the map (you can change that later, once you're running), but move them from one faction to another in the strat file. Each time you move one, check if his name is enabled for the new faction.You'll find that in the descr_names.txt file. If he is not enabled, you need to put the sub-faction tag of a faction for which he is enabled.

This is a step by step guide:

1. Remove the slave and armenia family trees. Especially the slave family tree has no use at all, if not for my internal reference. Remove also the character records of all female and minors.
    2. Move the city of Jerusalem to Armenia faction
    3. Move Alexander Jannaeus to Armenia faction and put him in a one-person family tree. Actually, you can leave the first position from the previous Armenia family tree and just rename the leader.
    4. Check if there are other units (spies or diplomats) in Jerusalem (search for Jerusalem or coordinates in the strat file). Eventually move them too. (I just checked it and there should be noone, so this is just for your exercise to understand where problems could arise.)
    5. Test run (it should start without a problem)
    6. Move every other slave leader that you want in your faction to Armenia faction. Always check if there are spies or similar in the same position (this is often the case with forts) and move them to Armenia too.
    7. Test run. It should start without a problem, if not you have probably overseen a spy. You can also move only two or three leaders at a while and check more often to find out where exactly you make a mistake. In any case, for this kind of errors there should be a message, if you have -show_err enabled.
    8. Now starts the difficult part: You need to move the Armenian cities and leaders to the slave section. If you forget only once to put the "sub-faction armenia" tag, this will cause a CTD. So I suggest that you move them one by one and each time try to run the game. Make back-ups of your strat file from time to time.
    9. When you are done with this and all is running well, you can build your Armenian family tree, if you like (this is optional). I think you can take a good proportion from the former slave family tree. If you get a CTD, it's again a naming problem. Check that the names you have chosen for the wives, sons and daughters are all enabled for the armenia faction. You'll find that in the descr_names.txt file. Don't forget to choose your faction leader.
    Anyway, this should be the core of your family tree:

relative Mattathias Maccabaeus, Miriam, JudasMacc Maccabaeus, SimonMacc Maccabaeus, JonathanMacc Maccabaeus, end

Then add JohnHyrcanus as a son of Simon, and JudahAristobulos and AlexanderJannaeus as sons of the latter.

Oh I forgot: If you put Hyrcanus as a son he needs the same family name. So it would be JohnHyrcanus Maccabaeus and so on for the others. Maybe it would be better to eliminate the family name Maccabaeus all together. There are other ways to make sure that JudasMacc appears as Judas Maccabaeus and SimonMacc as Simon Thassi and so on. We can go into details later, once your game is running. (I could do it for you, but I'm leaving for Xmas holiday in two days, so at the moment I haven't got much time).

Good luck!
    Last edited by Philadelphos; December 16, 2015 at 04:38 PM.

Alright! Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!

Thanks again for all of your help!

I have swapped the settlements, built a new family tree, and all that good stuff. The mistake I was making was at the top of the strat file, I was changing the campaign name at the top through that did not need to be done at all.

Next, I will change some unit names, the name roster for the armenian faction and change the sub_faction names of characters in the strat file so it will not conflict, rename the armenian temples, allow recruitment for certain units like zealots and all that stuff.

Will I need to change ancillary stuff that is Judaean specific, such as the pharisee ancillary, so that it can be gained by armenian family members?

Thanks for the offer of doing it for me! I really appreciate it but its quite an adventure to figure this out on my own so I am more than happy to do it myself! In case I don't talk to you before you leave, have a great trip and happy holidays!

Very briefly:
    To understand the ancillaries take a look at the line ExcludedCultures AND at the trigger(s).
    You'll see that the Pharisees and Maccabees are excluded only for Barbarian factions. So they are fine for Armenia.
    The trigger however has them currently confined to Jerusalem, and they will not pop up before turn 180 or something like that.
    You may want to change that:
    You could make them available only for armenia faction wherever you build a shrine_of_one_god_temple.
    That's very easy to achieve.

My next version will have some more ancillaries like Sadducee, Samaritan and Rabbi, or Salome Alexandra and Mariamne, but as I said that will go into January.

I wish you a great time and a Happy New Year too.

I believe I'm all finished (for now at least)! The changes I made are as follows:

1) Armenia starts with Jerusalem
    2) faction name changed
    3) Maccabee family tree for faction
    4) added 4 new ancillaries including Hillel. May make some more changes for these later
    5) tabernacle and temple is buildable in all settlements for armenia with zealots recruitable (temple and above only)
    6) some unit names changed
    7) name roster for armenia changed for judaean faction
    8) building names changed (simply changed Jehova to Adonai)

Some changes I would like to make in the future include:
    -changing faction symbol
    -add a different heavy cav unit besides cappadocian cav unit
    -potentially arm the zealots with swords besides spears
    -maybe change faction colors
    -add some more ancillaries
    -maybe some other unit roster changes

Thanks for all of your help Philadelphos! I really appreciate it. If I can help in any way with what you are working on in RTH, just let me know! Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

I have been playing the game some more and I really wish I could play more and get all the good of it if that you put into it with so much effort, but what always stops me from enjoying the game is the fact that even on vh/vh difficulty mode, the AI seems to be a complete biscuit and my entire campaign is just me advancing and almost never being attacked myself or meet any kind of real resistance. I play on Alexander because I read AI performance is better there but don't really see it. Maybe the AI is confused with all going on in this mod? Or is it just me and nobody has this problem? It would be nice to have a challenge like I remember putting on vh on campaign map difficulty on the vanilla (even though I never really played it, just tried for a couple of turns to see what happens), the AI just spams armies. Maybe that's also not ideal but at least you won't have an easy time and it will challenge you.

So is there anything to be done about this? And is this just a problem for this mod?

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

As I said here AI mostly gets confused/busy with the amount of forts rebels have, it'll be better without but still AI could use some tinkering.

Dear Philadelphos, SharpEyed and others, greetings!

First of all, sorry for the bad english - i'll probably butcher some verb conjugation now and then.

I have 0/100 coding or programming skills, but I have 100/100 weird ideas inside my crazy head. I always wanted to create or help in a mod, but free time is next to non-existent down here (Brazil - in a economic recession right now), i'm more than happy to, at least, throw some ideas in the forum of (in my humble opinion) the best all-around mod in RTW.

Introductions being made, here are some mindbits:

1st - Considering that the number of factions (being hardcoded at 21, if I'm not mistaken) is a bottleneck in RTW modding, and that as a compromise, 'maxi-factions' had to be created (like the Hellenic Kingdoms and the Independent Kingdoms), would you consider eliminating Numidia as a full faction and incorporating it in the Independent Kingdoms (like India, Saba, Nabatean, Media and Bithinia)?

I believe that this move would make the 'maxi faction' of the Independent Kingdoms more playable as a whole and free a slot to... well, whatever you want! Considering that the Kingdom of Numidia wasn't never bigger than a small-to-middle power in the classical ages, it would make sense.

2nd - What about the possibility of using a provincial campaign (like XGM or XC mods) or similar faction swap system (like the RS mod) as a way to dismember the 'maxi-factions' into it's constituent micro-states (i.e.: Pergamum, Bosporan Kingdom, Saba, etc.) and enable campaigns of it's own, without the need for the "let the rest rebel" way out of it? [And B.T.W., wouldn't my 1st suggestion above help in that implementation?]

3rd - Since the A.I. suffer from some ... intelligence issues, and takes a defensive stance most of the time, would you consider incorporating rebel towns into regular factions? For instance, Cyrene for the Hellenic Kingdoms, Thermon and Megalopolis to the Greek City League, etc. Wouldn't that augment the agressiveness of the A.I., rising the probability of faction vs. faction conflict - and as a side effect, making the campaing more challenging for the player, since there will be less 'easy targets' for expansion in the early game (i.e.: Rebel towns)?

4th - Is there any chance to see the BI and ALX features like loyalty and culture systems incorporated in the mod? About loyalty, it would be cool to see faction vs. faction - for instance, the Greek City League being the rebels for the Hellenic Kingdoms, representing the constant clash between Greek democracy and oligarchy... and about the culture system, considering that no other mod surpasses this one in cultural and religious buildings, it would also be very interesting to see.

5th - At last, is there any chance to see the as character traits the lineage or homecity specific? As a (very crude) example, members of the Attalid royal family of Pergamum could have +1 Management from their enlightened rule of the cultured city.

Anyway, just throwing wild ideas. I'm here to help in anyway I can.

Thanks guys!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345