Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions/Ideas/Proposals

Default Re: Suggestions/Ideas/Proposals

What do you mean by manpower? Like the population of each city and how much it grows?

First I want to thank everybody for the good suggestions and ideas.
    I have to apologize for not being able to include any of it, but recently I have been working exclusively on the buildings. This was a pretty hard job and I am glad that I managed to finish it before Christmas.
    Now I think there remains a lot of fine tuning to do, especially regarding the combat values of the units and the effects of the buildings. I don't think that I will be able to do this alone and therefore I ask any help you are willing to give. Together we can make the next installment even more epic. To all the modders out there: Please, have a look into the files (especially export_descr_buildings and export_descr_unit) and don't be shy to get operative.

Now regarding your ideas and suggestions:

Cincinatus:
    Yes, the gladiators are still there and I'm afraid there role has even increased. There is even one new unit, the Thracian gladiator. We should think how we can correct this overrepresentation.
    Rome is not fragmented, but as you asked some of the Barbarian tribes are. Especially the Gauls and the Celts who are spread all over the place in sub-factions liable to fight each other.
    Syrian and Welsh Bowmen are good ideas and we should bring them in. Nubian Bowmen are already in the game. I like especially the Syrian bowmen, because there are otherwise not much special troops in that area. I think the best swordmen are already represented, but we can always improve that.
    Women are represented among the Germans and as Amazons available in some remote areas even to the Greeks. But I don't think we should make them berserkers.
    Gauls should have fast growth. I think this is very true and we should think of how we can manage that, because currently it is not much like that. One thing would be to have growth bonus with certain temples, but limited only to Gaul and Britain (Celts). We should keep that in mind for 1.3. Would you like to work on the buildings values?
    Veneti galleys are already in the game. According to the description in Caesar they are called Swan Ships.
    Illyrian Pirates are there and they have even a queen or a maenad fighting with them.
    Epirus based its power mostly on plunder. This could be represented even better, I guess.
    The Greek Leagues are more or less there, at least the Achaean League is in the Greek Cities faction. The capital is indeed not Athens but Aegion. The leaders are the Strategos of the League (presently Margos) and his Cavalry Commander (Aratos of Sicyon). When Margos dies Aratos will thus become Strategos.
    The Aetolian League can hardly become a faction of their own, there is just not enough space, so I made them the strongest of Rebels. The idea of scripting a rising faction is not so bad, though. Since Epirus is a candidate for early extinction we might use this to make Aetolia emerge as a new faction as soon as Epirus is eliminated. Do you think you might be able to script that?

Metaluis90:
    The first question: I'm trying to make this as realistic as possible, but I'm not a purist. Therefore I'm ready to take some artistic license as long as it is entertaining. On example may be my Sutler Train unit. So I'm not completely against Maenads, but since unit slots are rare stuff by now, I don't see the necessity.
    If you want we might add some Maenads as officers to existing units. That would be easy basing them on the German Screeching Women. What do you think would be the unit that fits best?
    Your other ideas are more or less implemented, but as I said, a lot of improvement might be made through finetunining of the values. One example that has been done: The Egyptians have a good possibility to recruit Galatians.

DTSJ:
    By 280 the Samnites and Etruscans were mostly defeated. There is however still one strong Etruscan fort in Volaterrae. It won't be easy for the Romans to crush them. But on the whole the Romans need to be pretty strong to get them on track for their great expansion. It is a question of balance between the computer factions. If you dislike the forts you can disband them. The minor settlements can be easily disabled in the desc_strat file. If you think you have too many units you can disband them. If you have too many family members send them on a suicide mission.
    You complain about lacking elite cavalry for Sparta, I guess. This is however quite realistic. The Spartans hired Tarantine Mercenaries and so should you. Im any case the new version should be better, because it allows to built mercenary troops in your garrisons.

Dunadd:
    Recruitable characters sounds really good, but I have no idea how this can be done. Could you explain?
    Government: The new version 1.2 has lots of new government buildings giving a good insight into different political systems. Client states (or protectorates) are in vanilla, so they are here too. But maybe you have some more articulate idea about it. The let me know.
    Manpower: Explain!
    Sea battles: Anybody able to create a good sea battle is welcome (and a genius too).
    Pirate bases: I don't think that it is possible. But there are some pirate land units (slave) popping up in Cilicia and some other places.

I hope we can get some of these good ideas implemented.

Upload is at 87%. Another twenty minutes and RTH_1.2 will be available.

Here is the download link to RTH_1.2:

http://dfiles.eu/files/l3d505hrr

Installation:
    To install the game you need a vanilla version of Rome Total War upgraded to versions 1.3 and 1.5. Unzip the file with Win RAR and move the folder RTH into your Rome Total War folder besides the original Data folder. Do the same with the “Rome Total History mod” launcher and eventually open properties to correct the destination path. Use the launcher to start the game. It's easy.

Enjoy!

To Cincinatus: Syrian Archers will definitely be in the next installment. I have already done the icons. Maybe you could write a description? Then post it here.

New texture for strategical map:

Taken from mod Diadochi TW: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...otal-War-(ALX)
    I adapted it for RTH because I don't like vanilla textures.
    All credits to Diadochi TW team.

Download link: http://www.4shared.com/rar/fUZIG9Ny/RTH_stratmap.html

Just extract to "RTH\Data" folder and overwrite existing file (descr_aerial_map_ground_types.txt).

Thanks for the Christmas Gift fty

Thanks, I like it, fty!

Considering Senate buttons.
    I found something useful deep inside RSII 2.6 patch: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ctum-2-6-patch
    There is interesting file "senate_missions_log.txt" (Roma Surrectum 2.6\Play_Rome\data\scripts\show_me\senate_missions_log.txt)
    May be you can find some useful info.
    script
    declare_show_me ; This is a show me script

declare_counter abandon

monitor_event AbandonShowMe TrueCondition ;Catch the AbandonShowMe event
    set_counter abandon 1
    end_monitor

monitor_event ScrollAdviceRequested TrueCondition ;Catch the advice being requested again
    set_counter abandon 1
    end_monitor

monitor_conditions I_CompareCounter abandon = 1
    ui_flash_stop ; Stop the UI highlighting
    enable_entire_ui
    suspend_unscripted_advice false ; Restore unscripted advice
    terminate_script ; Shut down the show me script
    end_monitor

suspend_unscripted_advice true
    dismiss_advice
    disable_entire_ui
    ui_flash_start faction_button
    wait 3

enable_ui faction_button
    select_ui_element faction_button
    simulate_mouse_click lclick_down
    simulate_mouse_click lclick_up
    ui_flash_stop

disable_ui faction_button

ui_flash_start combined_scroll_senate_tab
    wait 3

enable_ui combined_scroll_senate_tab
    disable_ui combined_scroll_diplomacy_tab
    disable_ui combined_scroll_finances_tab
    disable_ui combined_scroll_faction_tab
    select_ui_element combined_scroll_senate_tab
    ui_flash_stop
    disable_ui combined_scroll_senate_tab

ui_flash_start senate_scroll_missions_tab
    wait 3

enable_ui senate_scroll_missions_tab
    disable_ui senate_scroll_policy_tab
    disable_ui senate_scroll_senate_floor_tab
    select_ui_element senate_scroll_missions_tab
    ui_flash_stop
    disable_ui senate_scroll_missions_tab
    enable_entire_ui
    suspend_unscripted_advice false
    end_script

Algaman's Avatar Tiro

Hello, there, guys
    Wonderful mod you have here, the map is beautiful as well the mod concept
    But a little suggestion:
    Can u consider the idea to do a bigger strat map? I mean, close to the Roma Surrectum 1.5, by example.
    Other thing:
    It is easy to recruit General/Governors for your cities, just select a unit you like, or create a new one, let´s say: Praetorian Governor Guards, and include and this in the entry: _General Unit, make it recruitable and Voilá!
    Regards.-

PROUD TEAM MEMBER

We have considered and have had many discussions on the map. I'm sure it could be made bigger, but to do so risks the breaking of trade routes. Trade routes can only extend 50 pixels, and the way the map is now, some of these routes are close to that amount. For example, Olbia is able to trade with Davaba. To make it bigger would of course make Greece and Italy more detailed and fun, but the steppes among other areas would be broken.

About the generals, Philadelphos will have to decide if he wants that or not.

Oh and about the Senate, I'll let him know about that as well!

Thanks everybody for all the new suggestions.

fty: I must admit that I haven't understood what that Senate button script is supposed to do.

Algaman: ahowl11 is right on the trade connections. Moreover, this map is four years of work and I will certainly not do it again. Regarding the generals: would this create a named character?

It would and they would not be a part of the family tree.

Well, that's interesting. But we should restrict this somehow. I have to think about a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphos View Post
    I must admit that I haven't understood what that Senate button script is supposed to do.
    BTW, the most interesting campaigns are in the mods, not too distant from vanilla structure. For example Darth Mod, Res Gestae, Terrae Expugnandae.
    This is due to the fact that the original game engine made ​​by the game for Rome, and a huge role in the strategic direction of gameplay played "superfaction" Senate. Senate is a sort of catalyst course of the game. Senate in many mods was removed, and modders trying to channel the engine by the script crutches. Unfortunately I don't understand what to do with all this scripts but may be somebody will help.
    I was inspired of this:
    disable_ui combined_scroll_senate_tab
    disable_ui senate_scroll_policy_tab
    disable_ui senate_scroll_senate_floor_tab
    disable_ui senate_scroll_missions_tab

About the trainable generals, I suggest you could use captains name, and make that unit slightly weaker than the "royal family bodyguard", decreasing a bit of their attack and defense, because probably on history the top equipment were provided for the most important units.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    I like all the suggestions except the Greek Women berserkers haha, not being sexist but it just doesn't seem right. Sounds Amazonian.
    So the Greeks exported thier culture of sabage women to Germany? Sounds about right.
    It really makes you think of German mythology, and how only a culture rife with mad, drunken women would give rise to the concept of the "Banshee". Although I always blamed that on the Screeching Women unit.

Laetus

There should be an AOR recruitment system and one barrack( barracks + stables + archery range together).

Hi Sa1kan, thanks for your feedback.
    Maybe you didn't notice, but there IS a very complex AOR recruitment system in RTH. It applies in very specific manners to each faction, maybe less to the Romans or Germans, but it is very articulate for Celtic Tribes, Independent Kingdoms, Egypt and several others.
    With only one barrack for all the system would be less articulate, so I guess that wouldn't be much appreciated.
    Creator of Rome Total History
    Rome 2 sucks, EB, RS and RTR were yesterday...
    Don't you feel like it's time to move on?
    Explore the ancient world, fight epic battles,
    conquer beautiful queens and princesses...
    Try a new groundbreaking mod:
    Experience Rome Total History!
    Play RTH or wait for Rome 3!

Why did you use ROme 1 engine? It only runs on one core and thus very poorly on new systems.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast