Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV - official discussion

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

Default Re: Europa Universalis IV - official discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    That's a lot of consistent negativity from somebody that owns -and constantly plays- their games.
    Haha. I rag on Paradox every chance I get and I've been playing their games since the day EU1 came out. If there ever was a money grubbing whore of a tease company, it is Paradox.

All of the EU games are essentially the same with graphical improvements or some tweaks to how you pay for crap. It isn't like they've greatly expanded any facet of the game. Its still essentially the same damn game I've been playing since I was a teenager. And yes, I am 30. Same with Hearts of Iron, although in that series they've at least tried to get semi-close to the intricacies of HOI1 with HOI3, but still, not near as much.

I buy their games, because that's just what I do. Same as CA games. Doesn't mean I won't rag all over a terrible product, and Paradox has made some terrible products. None of which I can forgive simply because "they've had a good run since CKII" (I've read this argument on this forum before). A decade of buggy, broken crap doesn't just remove itself from my memory.

But hey, I'm still playing! Meh, I hate them, and I think their games are pretty meh overall, but they make a unique product that suites me so I gladly fork over my cash for basically everything they've ever made.

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

something's wrong about this colonizing thing
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

How the you managed to colonize America as Japan? Or any Asain nation?
    @hellheaven1987 Ever heard about economy of scale?

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by I WUB PUGS View Post
    Haha. I rag on Paradox every chance I get and I've been playing their games since the day EU1 came out. If there ever was a money grubbing whore of a tease company, it is Paradox.

All of the EU games are essentially the same with graphical improvements or some tweaks to how you pay for crap. It isn't like they've greatly expanded any facet of the game. Its still essentially the same damn game I've been playing since I was a teenager. And yes, I am 30. Same with Hearts of Iron, although in that series they've at least tried to get semi-close to the intricacies of HOI1 with HOI3, but still, not near as much.

I buy their games, because that's just what I do. Same as CA games. Doesn't mean I won't rag all over a terrible product, and Paradox has made some terrible products. None of which I can forgive simply because "they've had a good run since CKII" (I've read this argument on this forum before). A decade of buggy, broken crap doesn't just remove itself from my memory.

But hey, I'm still playing! Meh, I hate them, and I think their games are pretty meh overall, but they make a unique product that suites me so I gladly fork over my cash for basically everything they've ever made.
    This. EXACTLY THIS!

+rep mate
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    How the you managed to colonize America as Japan? Or any Asain nation?
    @hellheaven1987 Ever heard about economy of scale?
    I don't know how or why, but I saw Spain owned some land in southern India. Vijaynagar was already crumbling, so I took most of what they owned and became their neighbour. It was not long that I became westernized.

Usually all I can ever colonize playing as Japan is Hokkaido, Kurils, Sakhalin and Taiwan. This one was a remarkable thing.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

I dont know whats wrong with your games, but my europeans are all over the new world. As japan, i have just seized california, most of coast of the gulf of mexico and florida from spainish and they are the smallest colonial power besides britain. Using a string of colonies from alaska, i finally got some colonists near by and i can core the new lands.

The world is looking good at 1635. France is getting slaughtered by bar and Spain and has changes there capital to south america. They are the largest colonial power though, so they are still a threat. Potuguls european borders have not changed but they own almost all of western south america and large chunks of west africa. Spain is doing well, they own 1/2 of france, however the lost a colonial war to me and lost most of there territories. Britain is being passive and have only colonised greenland and northern canada.

Russia and ottomans have distiguished themselves the most powerful nations of the world. After the ottomans were beaten back by the serbians, they expanded into the middle east, palistine, egypt, and saudi arabia. they then came and waged an epic series of wars with serbia and the other balkan minors. After crushing them, the ottomans now have land locked sebia in their territory. Serbia is stilll resiliant and now russia is offering protection. If a war starts, it could decide the fate of the known world as i know it.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

I think by this point most players already have a few nations of recommend, here is the few that I classify them using the challenge level I have observed in game.

- TOO EASY, recommend for noobs - Ottoman, Portugal, Spain, France.

- Some challenge but still quite easy, for those who want a casual game - England, Sweden, Burgundy (Burgundy is difficult because you have -33% fertility), Muscovy, Poland, Mameluke.

- Medium difficulty, good challenge - Aragon, Naples, Savoy, Bavaria, Bohemia, Venice, Novgorod, Denmark.

- Start getting hardcore, but not impossible - Brandenburg, Pomerania, Milan, Switzerland, Scotland, Norway, Brittany, Teutonic Order, Papal States, Byzantium.

- True hardcore, you can only call you are the pro of EU4 by playing those once and success - Any HRE one-state minor, any Irish minor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Romans are a mix of hardcore and impossible category. At times they seem possible, and at times they seem nigh damn impossible.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Romans are a mix of hardcore and impossible category. At times they seem possible, and at times they seem nigh damn impossible.
    Lots of fun though if you manage to break out and reform the ERE like i've been doing. If i had an unlimited or extended time mod i could probably form all of the old Imperial Rome, as it is Spain and France are too large to conquer completely in the 100 years i have left of gametime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    Lots of fun though if you manage to break out and reform the ERE like i've been doing. If i had an unlimited or extended time mod i could probably form all of the old Imperial Rome, as it is Spain and France are too large to conquer completely in the 100 years i have left of gametime.
    So true.

I had managed to conquer all of Africa, Levant and Italy with ERE, but when I was about to invade France and HRE, 1820 date hit up.

But still, I at least managed to become a new Justinian.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

My goal for 1720-1820 is to Conquer Italy and as much of Hungary and Austria as i can before the game time is up. Maybe more of North Africa if i have time but i already have as far west as Tunis and that 200% Berber core penalty is really painful for my already overextended empire. I'll update my progress in the "Post your empire" thread the next time i'm able to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    My goal for 1720-1820 is to Conquer Italy and as much of Hungary and Austria as i can before the game time is up. Maybe more of North Africa if i have time but i already have as far west as Tunis and that 200% Berber core penalty is really painful for my already overextended empire. I'll update my progress in the "Post your empire" thread the next time i'm able to play.
    Eagerly waiting for it.

By the way, are the keys to take map-screenshots same as CK2/Vicky2?

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Eagerly waiting for it.

By the way, are the keys to take map-screenshots same as CK2/Vicky2?
    I'm not home so i cant test on the game but i found this post over on the paradox forums.

On steam, it seems F11 or F12 is a simple screenshot(where F12 sends it to your steam screenshot library, and F11 sends it to Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV/Screenshots), and F10 sends a map of the world to documents.
    F10 should be the one you are looking for.

Legal regulations of international relations is passed, now I can play get wasted with eu4!

Not a big fan of Westernizing as Ottomans. Decided to give it a shot. Getting back up from -3 Stab is near impossible when you've got to constantly spend admin points to satisfying events or face more rebellions.

Westernized and got Peasant War right away. Whatever, I had to artificially fall behind in tech and then even more so during the climb back up. And since tech is entirely dependent on your points, I've got thousands of ducats with literally nothing to spend on. I need the points for tech so I can't even build. Oh yeah, you need to be + stab to actually progress along the westernize bar.

It was probably just a bad time to westernize. I don't see much need as Ottomans to do it now that I think about it. It kills your manpower from all the revolts. You lose even more in tech since you have to spend admin points on stability. I managed to maintain my Naval tech above everyone else but I'm way behind in government and land. I guess if I had made my empire completely homogeneous and saved up all my admin points then I could have done it easier without so many revolts.

I guess the big thing is that I was doing fine before. I was leading in tech and ideas and I was stomping with my armies. Then I decided to artificially fall behind for westernization and I'm worse off. Maybe as Ottomans just do a massive land grab early on in Europe and then go defensive while you focus on the Mamlukes.

Just don't really see the point to it. Mostly because its just too easy as Ottomans to breeze through the first 100 to 150 years. Westernizing in that period just kills it. Its funny too that while every nation on my border hates me, they didn't bother to take advantage of me while I was getting beaten to hell by peasant revolts.

I agree with Hellheavens' too easy list. I've tried England, France and Ottomans and did Portugal in the demo. France was rough while I had to fight everyone around me, but I actually won and the end result was that I was a massive country with an unbeatable army and navy and mountains of wealth. England seemed impossible to get anwhere in the 100 Years War simply because of all the vassals sending France troops. I actually wiped out half the combined army (30K) in one battle and it didn't matter. I just couldn't keep it together. I think I was able to manage a WP but that doesn't really help, but if you want to form the UK in like 1550, it isn't hard at all apparently. So yeah, easy if you give up on France. Ottomans as stated above are just too easy, and I don't think you should bother westernizing. You can probably get 5-10 tech levels ahead and build mountains of wealth while you improve your provinces and homogenize. Portugal in the demo was stupid easy. I didn't have any problem colonizing or maintaining peace with Spain. Just sort of did whatever I wanted.

Think I might try Brandenburg or Bohemia next. If I keep playing.............still kind of meh.

If you want real challenge try South-East asia miniors like Malacca and other Indonesian factions except Acceh and Brunei.

They face a heavy mauling from the Ming China.

Today I decided to play the Ming and forge a powerful, self sufficient empire that is able to counter the Europeans, while not expanding at all. As it turns out, their manpower is close to France or Castille, only 40/50,000 at best. Totally ruined my plans for having a ten-fold collection of giant stacks of doom.

I find Asia pretty uninteresting apart from using them as colonies.

Yep, the events are the only thing that keeps them interesting, unless there is large-scale war (usually involving the Ming).

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Well this just happened after i annexed half of Hungary, now i have 70k+ strong Commonwealth doomstacks heading straight for me along with Austria and most of Italy. This may be the chance i was looking for.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

By God, beautify and consolidate your borders.