Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Perhaps that's the reason picking asus I never experienced a serious problem after upgrading a bios. Updates are for fixing bugs (and not necessarily all are documented) and update cpu microcodes (kind of firmware intel delivers for your cpu) to improve stability and performance, aswell they add compatibility to RAMs or CPUs that were not on the QVL list before, so don't see a reason to skip a update.

After some suggestions I made my thread a little bit more colorful to make it easier to read. Like it?

Also by tomorrow I try to make a video commentary and step by step instructions to help people that are not tech freaks running the benchmarks.

Can you please help him how to setup his xmp profile for RAM on that board barbarian?
    XMP is just a simple option in his bios and will let him set his memory at whatever speed.Two settings one will be profile1/XMP/profile 2 and below it will be memory frequency so select XMP and DDR3 1600/1866/2133/2400 etc.He should always be using XMP even when overclocking i did and do use XMNP to overclock my ram and XMP is faster due to sub optimized timings etc.
    3570K 4700mhz cooled with Corsair H80 // Asus Z77 // MSI GTX 580
    16GB 2400mhz DDR3 // Crucial M4 256GB Raid 0 // Dell 2007WFP

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Perhaps that's the reason picking asus I never experienced a serious problem after upgrading a bios. Updates are for fixing bugs (and not necessarily all are documented) and update cpu microcodes (kind of firmware intel delivers for your cpu) to improve stability and performance
    I usually prefer ASUS as well but the Gigabyte board I got was the only sub $200 board with 3 PCIE slots space between 1st and 2nd GPU. And I can't stand the new gold color of ASUS lol. Especially ASUS software is much better than Gigabytes and with my Gigabyte board I had to manually adjust 2 different voltage settings to get all 4 DIMMs running (just 2 were running fine by default).

New colors look fine!

@Nippy
    For XMP profile just go to the 'Performance\Memory' section in your BIOS and select 'Profile 1' from the first entry called Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.). Since you just have 2 modules, you should also be fine with the default voltages.

Hi Al Qamar/ A Barbarian
    ok thanks for the feedback will fix the ram settings tonight hopefully & update Bios. As for the Temps on the chip i ran a stabilty test at 3.5 ghz default setting (was curious to see temps on H100i) and the temps went really bad straight away to the 90'c one core hit 100 (used Core Temp)and the chip started throttling stopped test srtaight away, so something wrong there my cooling set up i dont think you should be seeing those temps on the chip even for a Haswell CPU - going to look at it at the weekend when i get some new thermal paste i think i messed up the installation or something on the cooler.

@Nippy
    Do the H100i fans properly spin up? If not then there might be a problem with the sensor (sometimes my board reports the wrong CPU temperature and doesn't speed up the fans properly). If they do, then it's most likely something wrong with the cooler mounting. With default voltage/speed and the H100i you should see temperatures around 70c (max 80c if you have a high voltage chip).

Quote Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
    Hi Al Qamar/ A Barbarian
    ok thanks for the feedback will fix the ram settings tonight hopefully & update Bios. As for the Temps on the chip i ran a stabilty test at 3.5 ghz default setting (was curious to see temps on H100i) and the temps went really bad straight away to the 90'c one core hit 100 (used Core Temp)and the chip started throttling stopped test srtaight away, so something wrong there my cooling set up i dont think you should be seeing those temps on the chip even for a Haswell CPU - going to look at it at the weekend when i get some new thermal paste i think i messed up the installation or something on the cooler.
    I once had issue with H100 - found out that my pump wasn't working and SOMEHOW almost all liquid vaporized NO JOKE. There were no leaks no holes... I changed tubes and fixed the pump, filled it with water and went back to normal temps

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    Do you have any specific problems? Updating the BIOS is not necessarily the best thing to do. I have a Gigabyte Z87 board myself (the Z87X-OC) and I found that the early F4 BIOS is the most stable and issue free for me so far. Especially regarding the RAM I had more problems with later BIOS versions.

Your 4770K temperatures might be completely normal, even with a H100i. Haswell tends to get very hot especially should you have a 'high voltage' CPU like me. How high are the temperatures at which voltage (it's best to use CPU-Z version 1.64.0 and only that version), speed and which kind of load?
    I have a 4670k at 4.2 with an H100i and I haven't seen my temps go above 55c or so in Company of heroes 2 or Shogun 2, the two most cpu intensive games I have. Something is wrong with the mounting or the h100 itself.

Quote Originally Posted by talljoe View Post
    I have a 4670k at 4.2 with an H100i and I haven't seen my temps go above 55c or so in Company of heroes 2 or Shogun 2, the two most cpu intensive games I have. Something is wrong with the mounting or the h100 itself.
    Actually COH2 and especially Shogun 2 are not very CPU intensive since they only use 1 or 2 cores creating a load lower than 50% maximum. For real world applications I would try MP4 video encoding with something like VidCoder or just to see how good your cooler is use AIDA64, Intel burn test or Prime95.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Not Prime95 for Haswell its a bit buggy as of now, and has been reported to request more voltage than the max limit sometimes. This should be fixed soon apparently though. AIDA64 includes the new instruction sets introduced with Haswell, so that's probably the best stress tester you can get right now, for Haswell

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Freud View Post
    I once had issue with H100 - found out that my pump wasn't working and SOMEHOW almost all liquid vaporized NO JOKE. There were no leaks no holes... I changed tubes and fixed the pump, filled it with water and went back to normal temps
    That's natural mate, evaporation is inevitable. The real pain is when it happens to heat pipes, which obviously can't be refilled. They're obviously much more resistant to this though, because of the liquid inside and the fact its made of solid metal.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    Not Prime95 for Haswell its a bit buggy as of now, and has been reported to request more voltage than the max limit sometimes.
    That's not really correct. Prime95 has no bug and it can't 'request more voltage' from the CPU. What the newer versions do (and newer AIDA64 does the same) is to use special Haswell instruction sets like AVX (which is also used to a small extent in newer MP4 encoders). In combination with the adaptive voltage mechanism of Haswell CPUs (they raise voltage automatically above the baseline from the BIOS in certain situations) you get a higher voltage than what you configured.

Here is a quote from ASUS overclocking manual:
    Additionally, Haswell has a more specialized point of consideration for synthetic stress tests. When using an adaptive VID, voltage levels will be automatically increased by the iVR when AVX instructions are detected from an application. An example is noted below:
    A defined voltage of 1.245/1.250 would produce a CPU voltage of 1.245 or 1.250 under a normal realworld multi-thread application under load. Using the same defined voltage of 1.245/1.250 but running a synthetic stress test like Prime 95 with AVX, produces a CPU load voltage of 1.370 This increase must be considered as it could induce thermal throttle and overwhelm the cooling capabilities of the thermal solution being used.

♔KillZoneGB♔'s Avatar Ducenarius

Icon14 Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Using your preference scripts CPU 35 FPS (rounded up) and Gpu score of 70 Fps (rounded down)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Attachment 291513
    Last edited by ♔KillZoneGB♔; August 22, 2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added Benchmark files
    System
    Processor: i7 4820K Ivy E @ 4.4Ghz (Mild OC), MB Sabertooth X79
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16GB DDR3-1600 Dual Kit (TBA to 64GB Quad 8X8GB)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX 670 Phantom (TBA SLI Nvida xxx)
    Water Cooled

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi kill zone please attach the log files. Thanks a lot.

I just notice that for some reason people with low end or mid end desktop or laptop don't take part here. Once again THIS IS NOT thread for Overclockers
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

babydoc's Avatar Semisalis

More results make it easier for people to compare their scores and find whats hampering them.
    Maybe you are not utilizing your hardware enough and could gain performance by some easy tweaks?

Send in more results.

AlQamar,

Below are the log files for my benchmarks using your settings.

Motherboard - Asus P8P67 LE
    CPU - i5-2500k OC 4.6 GHz
    RAM - Kingston HyperX 8 GB 1600
    SSD - Samsung 830 series 256 GB
    GPU - MSI Twin Frozr 7950 OC 1100/1450

CPU test - 40.7391
    GPU test - 78.675

Overall I'm really impressed with my results, esp my CPU. It preformed better than the other i5-2500ks listed in the results.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Benchmarks sent by email, thanks for the Video. made it a lot easier

My Mountaineering Blog -
    https://grahamwyllie.blogspot.com/

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Thank you all I am about to add a lot of new validated results by tomorrow. Be excited. Also I have new food for the AMD is good complainers if I may say so.

Great to know finally the video is helpful. Someone said loudness is too low?
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hello everyone I've got a massive storm of new results.

23.08.2013 added prooved results for CPU: Core 2 Duo 2 E6600, Intel Core i7-2670QM, AMD FX 8120, another i7-3770K and i5-4670K, i5-4430
    23.08.2013 added prooved results for GPU: AMD Radeon 6770 and 6770M laptop GPU, fixed the GTX780 results, GTX 670 SLI, GTX 660

Finally we got some data from a laptop running 1080p, and aswell we got some interesting result for an older Dual Core Intel but it is misconfigured, I asked the member to configure it and hope for a better result then.
    Also another AMD result is prooving the weakness of AMD CPUs in Total War (again there is no ULTRA setting for CPU benchmark)

Thank everyone for this great participation. Still hope we can now attract people with older GPUs and CPUs as we have now also mid-range rigs covered a little.

Thank you all I am about to add a lot of new validated results by tomorrow. Be excited. Also I have new food for the AMD is good complainers if I may say so.

Great to know finally the video is helpful. Someone said loudness is too low?
    yeah i had to put my speaker up a lot when i was using it then when i ran the benchmarks the sound was blaring!

My Mountaineering Blog -
    https://grahamwyllie.blogspot.com/

23.08.2013 added prooved results for CPU: Core 2 Duo 2 E6600, Intel Core i7-2670QM, AMD FX 8120, another i7-3770K and i5-4670K, i5-4430
    23.08.2013 added prooved results for GPU: AMD Radeon 6770 and 6770M laptop GPU, fixed the GTX780 results, GTX 670 SLI, GTX 660
    Great, the E6600 needs his own 2 Core section though, atm it's in the 4 core section.

Maybe it would be a good idea to put the results in the first post (or to put a link to them right at the top of the first post), together with a 'please submit your results' link to the benching instructions.

Icon12 Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Here are my results. I found them disappointing, to be honest.

CPU: 28.8087
    GPU: 45.525

Maybe my expectations we're too high, or there's something wrong with my machine (i7-2600k, Sli GTX 580)?

Great thread and idea, btw.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Defensore; August 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added info
    Aerocool Xpredator / i7-2600k / ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
    SLI Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II / G. Skill DD3 1600 2x4gb
    XFX 850 Watts Black Edition / ST21000524AS Barracuda 7200 rpm 1 TB / LG W2353