Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    So far the GPUs are not influenced by
    - the blood DLC
    Possibly because the GPU bench is a pre-battle cutscene with no blood involved. Having the setting on or off should have minimal/no impact until there is actually some combat (and therefore blood).

Also a quick note for anyone with borderline performance and a multiple monitor setup, just having a secondary screen rendering the windows background was costing me 2 fps in the CPU bench.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

They made more LOD (layer of details) so we can hope that low end rigs like yours can run even better than in Shogun 2. Anyway we do not have facts. They put a curtain of silence on that matter, and that is not a good sign.
    Great idea with the petition thread. I signed it immediately.
    Thx alQamar

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

thanks for your new results with optimsed settings for CPU and RAM crzyrndm added them.

Quote Originally Posted by crzyrndm View Post
    Possibly because the GPU bench is a pre-battle cutscene with no blood involved. Having the setting on or off should have minimal/no impact until there is actually some combat (and therefore blood).

Also a quick note for anyone with borderline performance and a multiple monitor setup, just having a secondary screen rendering the windows background was costing me 2 fps in the CPU bench.

thanks. Well I don't know about the blood patch. But it is definitely something software based and not on the graphics card. I edited the reason for your improvements.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 20, 2013 at 04:07 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

My system is no where near some of those required to run the benchmark so i wont even try, but i just tested and can run two armies with 40 units of Yari ashigaru on S2 (160 men) on medium ish at 1280x1024 any chance of having similar results on R2? The map i tried was one of the very basic ones with just a few trees and hills, im thinking a big performance drop in sieges but i hope otherwise.

(I believe the blood patch was turned on too i dont know if this takes a little more resources)

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

Laetus

I do not allow tech discussion in this thread according the thread rules to keep this thread informative and clean.
    The name of the Thread is "The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance" and not "The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your ultra, hyper, mega settings TW performance".

Everybody who says, that AMD CPU's not unusable for shogun2, is lying.
    When you say, AMD CPU's are not good for ultra settings... maybe then you are right.

Myth: I cant play Shogun 2 or Rome 2 with my AMD CPU!
    Answer: You cant play Shogun 2 and Rome 2 on ultra settings by full hd solution. But on lower details with a smaller unit size you can play very well...

BTW: I'm not a AMD-Fanboy. I'm playing on a Q6600...

BTW 2: Weil mein englisch nicht so gut ist, hier nochmal 2 Sätze auf deutsch. Du nimmst dir hier raus repräsentativ zu sein. Das fängt bei den Systemeinstellungen an, die der größte Teil der Spielerschaft ohnehin nicht benutzt und hört bei den Tests von Usern auf die du sammelst. Du hast keinen Schimmer, was auf den einzelnen Rechnern noch im Hintergrund läuft und wie sauber die Systeme sind. Ich finde die Grundidee hinter dem Thread gut, aber pauschal zu sagen, dass AMD nicht funktioniert ist Blödsinn.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin N View Post
    My system is no where near some of those required to run the benchmark so i wont even try, but i just tested and can run two armies with 40 units of Yari ashigaru on S2 (160 men) on medium ish at 1280x1024 any chance of having similar results on R2? The map i tried was one of the very basic ones with just a few trees and hills, im thinking a big performance drop in sieges but i hope otherwise.

(I believe the blood patch was turned on too i dont know if this takes a little more resources)
    Any system that can run Shogun 2 is elligible for the benchmark. It it about gathering information about technology and it's capabilities. Of course people like me can boast here about their new systems, but in the end the real question is, where the cutoff point lies and for that mid and low-end systems are much more helpful. Cause in the end we all know that Rome II will perform swell on a Titan. Just run it and send your report in a PM to alQamar. Help him out!
    My signature is running from the battlefield. A SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!

Baldos's Avatar Tiro

A. Barbarian & alQamar
    THANKS I feel much better now . I was worried that I had made a big mistake by not waiting for/getting the 4th Gen CPU/Mobo considering the price is almost the same.
    Last edited by Baldos; August 20, 2013 at 07:17 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by gealany View Post
    The name of the Thread is "The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance" and not "The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your ultra, hyper, mega settings TW performance".

Everybody who says, that AMD CPU's not unusable for shogun2, is lying.
    When you say, AMD CPU's are not good for ultra settings... maybe then you are right.

Myth: I cant play Shogun 2 or Rome 2 with my AMD CPU!
    Answer: You cant play Shogun 2 and Rome 2 on ultra settings by full hd solution. But on lower details with a smaller unit size you can play very well...

BTW: I'm not a AMD-Fanboy. I'm playing on a Q6600...

BTW 2: Weil mein englisch nicht so gut ist, hier nochmal 2 Sätze auf deutsch. Du nimmst dir hier raus repräsentativ zu sein. Das fängt bei den Systemeinstellungen an, die der größte Teil der Spielerschaft ohnehin nicht benutzt und hört bei den Tests von Usern auf die du sammelst. Du hast keinen Schimmer, was auf den einzelnen Rechnern noch im Hintergrund läuft und wie sauber die Systeme sind. Ich finde die Grundidee hinter dem Thread gut, aber pauschal zu sagen, dass AMD nicht funktioniert ist Blödsinn.
    Blödsinn is you do not understand how the bechmarks work. The cpu bench is independent from your gpu and the ultra settings only apply to graphics.

I explained myself why we need to use ultra settings in the GPU bechmark

Instead of endless discussions no one of those complaint submit only one test while all AMD CPU results are from members that do not complain about facts we have collected by them. Without these brave members we would not have any compareable figure about AMD yet.

The x4 465 system is one I've installed my own and the results are similar to others so your presumptions of configuration issues disqualify themselves.

To your german part:

You won't like to tell me that any bad configured or background task on a system is causing a 50% performance gap randomly on all tested rigs. That's silly.

The cpu tests are not running on modified settings just the resolution is 1080p and blood pack disabled (for good).

Anyway it would be cool if can just run the cpu bechmarks aswell for your system.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

babydoc's Avatar Semisalis

AMD partnered with SEGA and Creative Assembly on Total War: Shogun 2 through the AMD Gaming Evolved program to implement DirectX® 11 features into the game. Richard Gardner, the Lead Graphics Developer for the game discusses these features and how AMD effectively supported the Shogun 2 team.
    And yet it plays better on Intel

baldrick13's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by babydoc View Post
    it even advertised amd graphics cards in the recommended specs.

i still wonder how much the "improved" multi core support will change things

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by babydoc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick13 View Post
    it even advertised amd graphics cards in the recommended specs.

i still wonder how much the "improved" multi core support will change things
    Apples and cherries. ..
    They assisted them on GRAPHICS
    NOT PROCESSORS.

The AMD graphics performance is very good!

In addition to my previous post:

It is really not my fault we have so less results for AMD based rigs.

The dx9 benchmark can be run on ANY rig with my preset but people aren't doing it. What can I say?

k_161's Avatar Miles

"Intel Core i7-3770K, 4,5 GHz, Ivy Bridge, 22nm lithography, 77 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL7-7-7-21, Dual Channel: 40 FPS"

Why am I only getting 29 FPS with my 3770k @ 4.5 : (

Edit: Ok I used your benchmark file for the CPU test and I got a score of 39 fps with a lazy overclock by just adjusting my turbo multiplier. What is the difference between the file you provided and the normal one ?
    Last edited by k_161; August 21, 2013 at 02:57 AM.

"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I know none, and therefore I am no beast"

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi k161 Higher resolution and blood pack disabled. Can you please submit your logfiles incl cpuz log. Thank you very much.

k_161's Avatar Miles

Hi k161 Higher resolution and blood pack disabled. Can you please submit your logfiles incl cpuz log. Thank you very much.
    Sure thing I've sent you an email. Thank you for the thread it was very informative

"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I know none, and therefore I am no beast"

Hi AlQamar
    Sorry sent in the benchmarks only just built the PC so there is a few things i need to update,
    On the Memory - not sure exactly what to do there as i haven't built a PC in quite a while so i forget a lot of this - went into BIOS but wasn't sure what to change.
    Updated the Graphics card driver to latest one on Nvidia's driver list
    I Have a H100i cooler for the 4770k but i think i have mounted it poorly as my temps are real bad need to check into this a bit more & fixed the display resolution -changed the threads to 16 must have read it wrong. Will try and fix these issues and resubmit
    Best regards
    Nippy

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

here is the bios
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=4481#bios
    You have F3 newest is F7. copy the file on a usb stick and then update in the bios. If you are not sure how to setup the RAM speed with XMP or update bios please refer your manual.
    It is not very complicated. Before this a resubmission of your results dont make much sense as we have not an optimal setup for your rig especially on the RAM.

When I got your results I will update the thread as I got also other submissions.

Thanks for everyone participating.

Quote Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
    Hi AlQamar
    On the Memory - not sure exactly what to do there as i haven't built a PC in quite a while so i forget a lot of this - went into BIOS but wasn't sure what to change.
    I Have a H100i cooler for the 4770k but i think i have mounted it poorly as my temps are real bad need to check into this a bit more & fixed the display resolution -changed the threads to 16 must have read it wrong. Will try and fix these issues and resubmit
    Do you have any specific problems? Updating the BIOS is not necessarily the best thing to do. I have a Gigabyte Z87 board myself (the Z87X-OC) and I found that the early F4 BIOS is the most stable and issue free for me so far. Especially regarding the RAM I had more problems with later BIOS versions.

Your 4770K temperatures might be completely normal, even with a H100i. Haswell tends to get very hot especially should you have a 'high voltage' CPU like me. How high are the temperatures at which voltage (it's best to use CPU-Z version 1.64.0 and only that version), speed and which kind of load?

Just wanted to say alQamar I really like the thread here and cant wait for the new one based on Rome2. Also once the game comes out Im sure many people would be very interested in what settings one could change to produce better fps or better graphics without much of a fps hit.

for example; I plan to run rome2 at 2560x1440 and know Im going to have to limit the settings I use.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    Do you have any specific problems? Updating the BIOS is not necessarily the best thing to do. I have a Gigabyte Z87 board myself (the Z87X-OC) and I found that the early F4 BIOS is the most stable and issue free for me so far. Especially regarding the RAM I had more problems with later BIOS versions.

Your 4770K temperatures might be completely normal, even with a H100i. Haswell tends to get very hot especially should you have a 'high voltage' CPU like me. How high are the temperatures at which voltage (it's best to use CPU-Z version 1.64.0 and only that version), speed and which kind of load?
    Perhaps that's the reason picking asus I never experienced a serious problem after upgrading a bios. Updates are for fixing bugs (and not necessarily all are documented) and update cpu microcodes (kind of firmware intel delivers for your cpu) to improve stability and performance, aswell they add compatibility to RAMs or CPUs that were not on the QVL list before, so don't see a reason to skip a update.

After some suggestions I made my thread a little bit more colorful to make it easier to read. Like it?

Also by tomorrow I try to make a video commentary and step by step instructions to help people that are not tech freaks running the benchmarks.

Can you please help him how to setup his xmp profile for RAM on that board barbarian?
    Last edited by alQamar; August 22, 2013 at 01:48 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default How to run the benchmark - the step-by-step video

Hello friends of Total War,
    after getting some feedback my instructions may be to complicate for non tech persons, I've decided to record a step by step video and linked it in the OP aswell.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zzvWigd9rg

Sorry for any language issues in advance but I hope I helps you enough to make the benchmarks now without bother you to read my wall of text instructions. Please leave comments and reps if you like.