Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

thanks mate, the last effort was your suggestion about the gpu. I've paid all my attention to the gigabyte one pursuing it. I'm curious to see what you think of my bench, hoping they could be useful for your analysis. It's a shame that shogun 2 seems bugged with ultra settings (that this gpu can handle). If Rome II will be concretely well optimized and stable with not heavy bugs, despite of unit sizes, visual approach to unit cards, and other moddable not incisive elements, we really are going to gain a good tribut for all this passionate fatigue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12HXnYNA6Cg enjoy

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Intel i5-4670K, 4,1 GHz, Haswell, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 42 FPS

NVIDIA GTX TITAN (MLAA): 106 fps

EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX (FXAA): 84 fps

EVGA GTX 670 FTW (FXAA): 77 fps

NVIDIA GTX 580 (MLAA): 49 fps

Explain this to me pls !!!! for example if a intel i5-4670k only gives you 42 FPS , why do you need a GPU that runs more than 42 FPS , that wouldnt be a waste to have for example a gtx 770 that delievers 84 fps !!!!!

Example : if u have a cpu = 42 fps + Gpu = 84 fps how many total FPS do you will get in total , in the game??????????

SamueleD's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Mimoxx View Post
    Explain this to me pls !!!! for example if a intel i5-4670k only gives you 42 FPS , why do you need a GPU that runs more than 42 FPS , that wouldnt be a waste to have for example a gtx 770 that delievers 84 fps !!!!!

Example : if u have a cpu = 42 fps + Gpu = 84 fps how many total FPS do you will get in total , in the game??????????
    Usually you run at the fps determined by your GPU, which are higher. When you get close up or in thick melee battle the CPU has to do loads of calculations and starts bottlenecking so you get down to the fps determined by it, which are lower. So basically if you have GPU 84 fps and CPU 42 fps, you get 84 fps zoomed out and outside of melee combat and 42 fps while zoomed in and in melee combat.

This would make a nice Sticky on the forum, I would be going over this after I get the game playing.

I usuallly dont zoom in the combat melee , but i play zoom out but with plenty 20 x 20 units fighting , so how much would i probably get with a cPu 42 fps + gpu=84 fps= ??? and cpu 42fps + gpu 42 fps =???????

I usuallly dont zoom in the combat melee , but i play zoom out but with plenty 20 x 20 units fighting , so how much would i probably get with a cPu 42 fps + gpu=84 fps= ??? and cpu 42fps + gpu 42 fps =???????
    I can't give you numbers, but here is where you want the 84 fpd gpu. Outside of combat and zoomed out your CPU is not slowing things down, so we can consider it as giving you infinite fps, zoomed out and outside of combat the GPU decides your speed, so a 84fps gpu gives you 84 fps, but a 42fps gpu will give you only 42fps.
    Let's now hypothetically assume that not zooming in during combat grants you, say 10 fps of CPU power, so your CPU can deliver 52 fps in combat while zoomed out, if your GPU can deliver 84fps then you'll be running at the 52fps determined of the CPU; if instead you have a 42fps GPU, you will be running at 42fps, even if the CPU can deliver 52 in that situation.

The CPU benchmark monitors a thick melee fight, which is one of the worst situations for your CPU in TW, so basically that number is the minimum fps your CPU will get you, but if the fighting is less intense or you are less zoomed in, the CPU will deliver more fps, and in that case, if your GPU is strong, it will be able to give you higher fps, if it's weak it won't.

Also, a faster GPU will allow you to get increased graphics quality, while a faster CPU will allow you to get more soldiers on screen.
    Last edited by SamueleD; August 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

^
    Described above is called "bottlenecking", where your PC will always be limited by the lowest figure ie. the weakest link.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    ^
    Described above is called "bottlenecking", where your PC will always be limited by the lowest figure ie. the weakest link.
    You mean "in the previous page"?

But yeah, that's the name folks! In TW the CPU will almost always be your bottleneck (unless your GPU is really crap), and it will bottleneck the most in zoomed in melee, but once you zoom out or you are out of combat the CPU bottleneck disappears, as the CPU is no longer stressed, so you get min fps determined by the GPU.

Many Thanks Samuel I understand at my view : the cpu is lot more importante than gpu !

Many Thanks Samuel I understand at my view : the cpu is lot more importante than gpu !
    Not really: both are important. A crappy GPU will bottleneck a good CPU. Usually, having a really good CPU and a decent GPU will get you better minumum fps than an awesome GPU and an average CPU, but if you want to experience good quality and the full beauty of the game without lag, you will need a good GPU (even if you might not need the hyper high end ones or multi gpu setups), not just a good CPU.
    So yeah, if you just aim at running the game with ultra unit sizes and everything else turned down then, you are better off picking an i5 and an entry level GPU, but, since we presume that you might want a compromise of both, the builds in the HW advice thread tend not to make that kind of paring, and be more balanced.
    Last edited by SamueleD; August 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I appreciate your contribution but please: thread rules
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

alQ, for your benchmarks, did you install Shogun 2 on an SSD?
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Yes but it is running on a seperate SSD. But not in other cases. It does not influence your fps in the tests. Tried it with a WD green aswell. Just loading times improved.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 12, 2013 at 01:17 AM.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Dominian View Post
    Testing with 4 Threads:
    Attachment 289970Attachment 289971

5_57_59 is GPU benchmark: GTX 780 - 108.8 fps
    6_01_25 is CPU benchmark: i7 4770K - 45.5 fps (the i7 4770K in my PC is overclocked to run at 4500 MHz via a Bus Speed of 125 MHz)

Testing with 16 Threads:
    Attachment 290036Attachment 290037Attachment 290035

20_15_19 is GPU benchmark: GTX 780 - 108.7 fps
    20_21_46 is CPU benchmark: i7 4770K - 52.2 fps

Rest of my setup for comparability (mobo and ram might matter, ssd too?):

MoBo : Asus Maximus VI Hero ( Z87 Board )
    RAM : CMD16GX3M4A2666C11 ( That's 16GB of Corsair DDR3 RAM overclocked at 2666MHz )
    SSD : Samsung 840 Pro series 2,5" 512 GB ( I put Shogun 2 on the SSD )

The OS is still very clean since I build this PC three days ago for the express purpose of running Rome II on max settings. So I like that I can show it off a bit here if it's ok to gloat a bit here
    Thanks for re-testing and also showing up how massive the manual or automatic thread settings change the performance.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

added new results for Intel i7-3770K and AMD X4 465 and a EVGA GTX 670 FTW (MLAA) mode

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    On a 4670K, on 100% stock settings (including XMP Mem profile off) I got 28.9fps.

Can someone else with a 4670K please post their results with the same stock settings? I'm troubleshooting, and this is important.

EDIT: WAIT AND DANDY SECOND!
    In this link posted by someone before: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...l-cpu-review/5

It shows a 4670K at 4.6Ghz only getting 37fps average.... that's pretty much what I was getting before, so I've been stressing about my PC for nothing. But someone has posted an average of 42fps on a 4670K running at 4.1Ghz.....
    Once I get back to my desktop I'll be able to do some tests on that CPU, so we can confront our results, but you'll have to wait until September, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Hi Barbarian, his settings are not the cause I checked that with CPU-Z
    I figured it out, it's the blood effects, lol. With blood effects I have 34fps, without 44fps Here, add this line to your "BenchmarkDX9CPU_preferences.script.txt" file in your "steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\benchmarks" folder:gfx_blood_effects false; # gfx_blood_effects , Enable Blood effects #

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    I figured it out, it's the blood effects, lol. With blood effects I have 34fps, without 44fps Here, add this line to your "BenchmarkDX9CPU_preferences.script.txt" file in your "steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\benchmarks" folder:gfx_blood_effects false; # gfx_blood_effects , Enable Blood effects #
    That could explain Splenyi's problem too You are German alQ, so I guess you haven't got the blood pack dlc?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

no we have not. As I said it is a mod then (blood pack DLC is a mod) but that do not explain his also poor performance in SuperPI.

baptistus's Avatar Senator

I will run the benchmarks tomorrow with my i7 3930k and HD 7970.