Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

I know I could just wait until tomorrow, seeing I already bought it, but to relieve/kill my excitement, how do you think my laptop will do? I meet the recommended specs except for the graphic card. i5, 2.5 GHz, 6 GB RAM, but only 128 mb video card. That's what the seller told me, but on the info card on the laptop says "Intel HD Graphics 4000, up to 1760 MB Dynamic Video Card" but I don't know what that means.

I can run Shogun 2 just fine. It looks subpar on the campaign and far from what I see on images on the Internet, and zooming in on battles it looks horrendous, but is more than playable and it never lags or anything. But I don't mind the graphics, so as long as it can be played I'm fine.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Hello everyone, after some days of collecting results I have news here: I finally managed to benchmark and optimise a MSI G70 gaming laptop, so finally we know about the performance level of a gaming laptop aswell. Still the setup of this quite expensive but cost effective gaming laptop is, that there is only 1 RAM with 8 GB running in single channel so the results may be degraded. The owner will buy a add a same RAM for dual channeling and we will do same tests again.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

clone's Avatar Primicerius

my pc meets the least pc specs but not the recomended. will i be able to play the game
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

please run the benchmark to find out please http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI3coLTpeNo
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hello everyone, after some days of collecting results I have news here: I finally managed to benchmark and optimise a MSI G70 gaming laptop, so finally we know about the performance level of a gaming laptop aswell. Still the setup of this quite expensive but cost effective gaming laptop is, that there is only 1 RAM with 8 GB running in single channel so the results may be degraded. The owner will buy a add a same RAM for dual channeling and we will do same tests again.

Aswell we got an Alienware laptop with an AMD SLI! and desktop results here are the validated additions:

02.09.2013 added prooved results for CPU: Intel i5-4700QM, Intel i5-2820QM, AMD X4-955 (custom res) updated
    02.09.2013 added prooved results for GPU: Nvidia GTX 765M, AMD Radeon 6970M, AMD Radeon 6970M crossfire, AMD Radeon 7870 (custom res)

THANK YOU FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS. TOMORROW WE WILL MEET ON ROME 2, and hopefully I can soon offer you updated benchmark instructions
    here

So far here are the threads stats for Shogun 2:

Benchmark statistics:

35 people submitted results, 31 have been confirmed so far

Youtube statistics:

134 viewed the my benchmark instructions for Shogun 2 on YouTube
    I've got +2 subcribers on Youtube, Prince of Macedon / Heir of Carthage here I come LOL ;D

Optimized rigs stats:

countless people (a lot) have now optimized settings and got successful tips for RAM and overclocking tipps and "number of thread" tweaks, some of them I've managed even personal when I got the time.

Reputation stats:

countless reputation showered my virtual ego - Thanks for that.

Thread stats:
    19,459 views, thread time 27 days, 1.3 submissions per day.

I am excited about tomorrow. Perhaps I will be one of the only guy that will not game but doing benches so we can finally proove or dismantle myths of CA marketing cases in regards of performance improvements.

Cya soon, yours al Qamar! Thank you! Danke schön! Shokran! Merci beaucoup!
    Last edited by alQamar; September 02, 2013 at 04:18 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi there currently I am running the benchmarks. So far the performance in Rome 2 compared to Shogun 2 degraded by 30%, but the results are hardly comparable as we have only a GPU bench with CPU load included and battles.
    In case of our benchmark thread this is really sad because the CPU independence of the GPU benchmark is not longer applying.
    But however the MULTICORE utilisation is extraordinary!

Medal of honour @ CA but sad they removed a GPU and CPU benchmark only and messed up the benchmark having the same limitations that all benchmark on earth have: a CPU bottlenecking while measuring the graphics performance.

Logfiles are not longer generated. So I think we can bury this thread :[
    Last edited by alQamar; September 04, 2013 at 03:00 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

03.09.2013 added prooved results for systems: Intel i7-2600, GTX EVGA 670 FTW
    03.09.2013 added and updated sections for Rome 2

[QUOTE=But however the MULTICORE utilisation is extraordinary[/QUOTE]

So i7 is worth investement ?

RUN BENCHMARK FOREST

My laptop :i7 2630qm gpu 550 m, 8 gig ram

Graphics médium , unit ultra size , shadows low , shader model 5 , other Windows unchecked ( i think turning shadows to low give a great inpact, also unit detail !)

I get 23 fps stable benchmarking forest and I runned a 40 v 40 custom battle , got 28 fps average

I only had 5 minutes for Rome 2 in the morning to run everything maxed on 2560x1440 with the system in my signature (2x7970s + 4770K). Result was 35FPS average and 23FPS minimum, lol.

I will add proper results tonight.

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Horrible cpu performance, i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz with 8gb 1600mhz DDR3 and GTX 780. goes as low as 17fps when looking at battles on ultra settings.
    This game needs some serious cpu optimizations.

It's really shameful for CA. Since the beginning of Shogun 2 the community was pointing out that performance is crap when looking closer at battles. Now CA seems to utilize more cores but performance is even lower in Rome 2 than it was in Shogun 2. I guess they couldn't resist on adding new fancy stuff (which almost nobody sees or can't enable because it costs too much performance) instead of only optimizing existing performance.

Specs: 955 BE @ 3.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, GTX 460 @900Mhz

Options: AA- on , Tex. Quality- High , AF 16X, Shadows- Medium, Water-High, Shader - 5, Particle Eff- High, Veg. Alpha- off, Unit size- Large,
    Building, Unit, Grass, and Sky detail - Very High, Terrain- High, DOF- off.

Fps: Average 49 , Minimum 41. (tested on the forest benchmark)

Great game so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Greve Af Göteborg View Post
    Horrible cpu performance, i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz with 8gb 1600mhz DDR3 and GTX 780. goes as low as 17fps when looking at battles on ultra settings.
    This game needs some serious cpu optimizations.

I HAD WARNED!!!! buy pc after game is out!!!!!!

Ive a average good laptop with good cpu - i7 2630qm and weak Gpu - 550m, 8 gig ram , i run a 40v40 battle with high graphics , just reduced shadows and particles to low( nothing reallt specially visual) i got 28 fps !!! better compared to shogun2 !!!!!!

It seems r2 is more cpu intense , and it looks that I7 is optimize really good !!! that explain my good results !!!! i7 >i5 at R2 , i told u to wait , the answer was i7 is not worth the investment etc

I was to buy a new pc , but it seems its not necessary lol , saving 1000 $ !!! CA told r2 would be very playable on laptops lol

Intel Core i7-4770K 4.7 ghz, gtx titan 6gb in 2 way sli, 16gb ram. Even after lowering stuff etc runs like . Can go as low as 30 fps in fights. It's the game, you can benchmark as much as you want, we NEED patches and NOW!!!!

not bad for a i5-2400 + gtx 560ti ; average 58 , min 41

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

but i'm going to decrease the sky and water settings to just high *_*
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hello benchmark fans if you submit results for Rome 2 we need to make rules here how to setup. Otherwise the settings are hardly comparable.

Please DO NOT SUBMIT ALTERED SETTINGS except resolution PLEASE!

Please only run benchmarks as follows with no changes except resolution if 1920x1080p is not applicable:

- never activate Vsync for benchmark.

- preset high
    - preset ultra
    - preset extreme
    - all maxed out means
    preset extreme + antialiasing x16 + alpha vegetation enabled + depth of field highest all boxed ticked except vsync.

I will find time to submit a preferences file and make a video according today.

Everyone that submitted already please wait for the updated instructions.
    Last edited by alQamar; September 04, 2013 at 03:18 AM.

Laetus

My PC specs: FX-8320, 8 GB RAM, GTX 560ti.
    @ 1920x1080:
    - preset high: 61,1 FPS average / 56 FPS min
    - preset very high: 47 FPS average / 23 FPS min
    - preset ultra: 37,9 FPS average / 19 FPS min
    - preset extreme: 35,2 FPS average / 18 FPS min
    - preset extreme + antialiasing x16 + alpha vegetation enabled + depth of field highest all boxed ticked except vsync: 15,8 FPS average / 6 FPS min

On a side note, I have been extremely surprised (in a good way) to see that Rome II uses all of my eight cores (~80% load on core 0 to about 30% on core 7).

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Thanks karpi your submission is a shining example how I need it however I will only post the average fps as it would end unreadable.

Meanwhile I prooved following facts:

Rome 2 does not HDR, nor it does use tessellation anymore which is a good a explanation why our dx 11 performance degraded to Shogun 2 as all trees rocks and stuff are full models not simultaneous one

Secondly turning on Antialiasing means mlaa only.

Third: I unveiled what the Haswell option does (DRA):
    It enables an improved alpha shader so graphics look better at cost of performance.

Anyone with a Haswell around here I would like to see comparing screenshots here with that enabled and disabled from the forest benchmark.

Expect the release of further instructions in 1 hour now I am testing multicore and hyperthreading bonuses.
    Last edited by alQamar; September 04, 2013 at 04:58 AM.

SamueleD's Avatar Campidoctor

Ok, I just run all the benchmarks, here are my specs and the results.

Specs:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @3.9GHZ, Northbridge @3GHz
    RAM: 16GB RAM 1600MHz 8-9-8-24 Dual Channel
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB 890MHz Factory OC

Using the latest chipset drivers, and the 13.8 beta drivers for the GPU.

AMD CPU Benchmark 6.txt
    AMD CPU Benchmark 12.txt
    AMD CPU Benchmark 16.txt
    AMD CPU-Z Report.txt
    AMD GPU Benchmark.txt
    Last edited by SamueleD; September 04, 2013 at 05:10 AM.