Thread: Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Default Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Hello, i need help with this error i keep getting, i open medieval 2 total war, it loads for a second and then comes up with the error, but my kingdom expansions work fine.

I have a non steam version, With third age total war up to patch 3.2 installed, i also have MOS Sub mod 1.41, and every time i try and start a battle on TATW it comes up with the same message.

I've tried various things from uninstalling it, to turning off daylight saving time...please help.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Disable the UAC?

Default Re: Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Yep http://gyazo.com/e58c1f9bcf19ac3c6a078bc4f3750ddc
    Oh yeah im on windows 8, incase you need to know

Win 8 = along with disable the UAC,
    have you taken ownersip of C: drive?
    have you installed the game outside Program files (x86)?

Nope, the game is in program files (x86)
    And yes i have.

The game hates it there. anything XP based hates it there.

Its alright now, ive sorted it, i deleted both descr_geography_new, its working fine now.
    Thank you for you help.

You didn't say you unpacked it. Good to hear you have it sorted. Enjoy playing.

Thread moved from M2TW GD to Tech help.

Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    I add mod Third Age and i also add launcher, but i start the launcher write Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

But when I turn on the game without mods, it's works
    Please helpppp

And no steam version

But when I turn on the game without mods

Socrates1984's Avatar Decanus
    Citizen

Hi Filip742224 and welcome to the forums!

Your problem could be caused by a multitude of reasons. What follows is a brief and somewhat superficial list of the things you have to do in order to make everything work as intended.

1. Download the mods while leaving your PC alone. To avoid a corrupt download.
    2. Meet the requirements for the mod you want to play, e.g. v1.5 for TATW (Third Age Total War).
    3. Edit Security for you main M2TW folder/or take Ownership of your main M2TW folder
    4. Unhide hidden folders
    5. Check your VirtualStore folder for Medieval 2 Total War folder, and delete it if you find it there. (Steps 3, 4 and 5 copied and pasted from here, where everything is described and explained).
    6. Install outside of Program Files. To avoid paranoid attitude of Windows and Windows-based games.
    7. Install in the correct folder, e.g. \Medieval 2 Total War for TATW instead of \Medieval 2 Total War\mods. Other submods (like MOS or DaC) may have other target folders, so be sure to check first.
    8. Install in the correct order. To ensure the correct order of overwriting files.
    9. Running the installers as administrator usually helps.
    10. Install leaving your PC alone, closing all other applications and programs. Again, to avoid a corrupt installation.
    11. Download and install Notepad++. You will need it to edit text files (the default editor doesn't work), most crucially...
    12. ...Change Third Age.BAT file present in your Third_Age_ 3 folder: replace kingdoms.exe entry part with medieval2.exe:

cd ..\..
      start kingdoms.exe @mods\Third_Age_3\TATW.cfg

to

cd ..\..
      start medieval2.exe @mods\Third_Age_3\TATW.cfg

Save the file, and Exit. (Again not mine, taken from here).
    13. Alternatively, in case you want to play a sub-mod of TATW, don't change the .bat file, but follow the relevant instructions on how to start that particular sub-mod, which will probably have already edited the .bat file.

Compare the above procedure to what you did and find the error. In any case, you have to be a bit more specific. A more or less wild guess would be that you haven't disabled UAC.

Generally follow each mod's instructions to the letter, do it slowly and carefully and you will be fine. If all else fails, you can always ask for help.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Socrates1984; November 04, 2016 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Deleted some wrong points.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Best to post your question in TATW's help forum. They will ask you for the log and some more details, I think there is a thread in that forum that explains how to present a problem report.

@Socrates - he hasn't got Steam - scratch points 11 and 12. I think it might be number 7 that is the issue.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 03, 2016 at 10:07 AM.

Socrates1984's Avatar Decanus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Best to post your question in TATW's help forum. They will ask you for the log and some more details, I think there is a thread in that forum that explains how to present a problem report.

@Socrates - he hasn't got Steam - scratch points 11 and 12. I think it might be number 7 that is the issue.
    You are absolutely right and thanks for pointing it out. I somehow missed that part of his post. I already edited the post to avoid causing any more confusion to anyone else, who happens to read it.

If it is 7 (wrong installation folder), as you said, or security matters, as I said, I would of course bet on 7...

Hello i have the problem now and i have tried everything except the game and the mod to download again and if i download it again can i save my saves from my campaign

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The best will be to post in the mod's forum and provide them with the log (compress before uploading) and a short description when it happened.