Page 173 of 174 FirstFirst ... 73123148163164165166167168169170171172173174 LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 3467

Thread: Show me your Desktop!

Default Re: Show me your Desktop!

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    4/10, too many desktop icons.
    I could do away with all the links to executables because I never use them. I cannot live without shortcuts to certain savegame folders and Steam folders, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    @Sept: Your customized background is really good.

And now Akar will get an heart attack.^^
    Haha. I could never create myself the kind of background that I have. By the way, I like your selection of games!

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    the captain now badge wearer

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I could do away with all the links to executables because I never use them. I cannot live without shortcuts to certain savegame folders and Steam folders, though.
    You easily could, what do you think the "quick access" part of the file explorer window and the "pinned" items when you right click the file explorer icon are for?

You people make me sick.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

I used to have desktop icons, until Akar forced me to take them.

Blog Entries

The inquisition has begun.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    I used to have desktop icons, until Akar forced me to take them.
    I am in the process of eliminating them and moving towards to a quick access pinning solution mandated by Akar (thanks to him for the instruction).

I don't know what purpose the desktop serves if it has nothing on it, and I think that, as a grown man, I should damn well get to choose myself whether I keep icons there or not. But Akar's hypnotic-magnetic influence is very hard to resist, and I find myself doing what he wants. Apparently you too know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries

This is what mine looks like right now. I don't feel like it's unused.

This is what mine looks like right now. I don't feel like it's unused.
    A cool three-screen setup. I only use one big 4K one at home and two regular small ones at work, one of which is in portrait mode for certain kinds of consoles or specifications. If I work remotely, I can divide that big screen for specification/documentation and code/server access.

Lately I have been thinking that I should still add another monitor to make things easier; the only reason I haven't is that I have been under the impression that SLI gaming is hurt by that somehow. It may not be the case, in fact.

When I mentioned purpose, I was aware of the fact that looking pretty is a purpose in itself. In that respect I am very surprised to find that you, an artist, have nothing but a blank greenish gray screen on yours.

Do you like Bill Burr? My brother recently recommended watching him, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Blog Entries

I don't want anything that is going to draw my eye away from what I'm doing. If I want to look at a picture, I'll go look it up. I don't see the purpose of having a picture there, I prefer functionality.

I absolutely recommend another monitor (or two). I thought it was stupid until I got my second one and then I could never go back. The third one is pretty great too as it makes discord so easy. I can just watch it out of the corner of my eye.

And yeah, I do. He's probably my favorite comedian of all time. Huge fan.

I don't want anything that is going to draw my eye away from what I'm doing. If I want to look at a picture, I'll go look it up. I don't see the purpose of having a picture there, I prefer functionality.
    I actually thought as much, but I wanted to get your confirmation instead of assuming things. I do know that visually oriented and talented people do not necessarily want a whole lot of visual stimuli all over their space.

I am an auditorily and linguistically oriented person, and I can very rarely enjoy music with lyrics while I work. I know that some people can even listen to various kinds of aggressive, fast-paced rap music while concentrating on technical problem solving or coding. To me that is a disaster. Not only can I not ignore what is being said, but all kinds of microstimuli like the peculiarities of a given artist's pronunciation are constantly registered in my brain as supposedly meaningful things, which continuously distracts me from my work. So it has to be instrumental, classical, or something along those lines.

As a curiosity, I once talked with a hearing person who was a behavioral scientist also working as sign language interpreter, and he told me that people born deaf often make sure that they do not wear clothing, shirts particularly, that are too colorful or filled with patterns. Having grown up with their auditory cortex more or less defunct and visual cortex overdeveloped makes them feel that a colorful, patterned shirt worn by the other person is "screaming" at them.

I absolutely recommend another monitor (or two). I thought it was stupid until I got my second one and then I could never go back. The third one is pretty great too as it makes discord so easy. I can just watch it out of the corner of my eye.
    I could not do with a single small one at work. No way. That means a major drop in productivity and well-being. At home the 4K one has been okayish. Not only because it is big, but because the higher resolution allows for dividing the screen in two while still having enough resolution for both sides to look detailed enough.

But thanks for the recommendation; I'll see how it works at home with another one. I wonder if the problem actually had to do with having a 4K monitor and a lower resolution one hooked up to the same GPU. Maybe it was that setup that gave me problems.

And yeah, I do. He's probably my favorite comedian of all time. Huge fan.
    Two smart people recommending is enough. I'll give it a go.

My favorite stand-up comedian is Ismo, and having met him in person, I can say that his unique stage personality that seems uncharacteristically insecure and quirky for a stand-up comedian is not entirely made up. Perhaps just accentuated for comical effect. I just wonder if Americans can really understand his accent that well.

Some of his early English-language material:

Last edited by Septentrionalis; August 27, 2021 at 03:05 PM.

Campidoctor

Y u not use background color black then?

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Using a KDE Plasma wallpaper on Windows because I'm stuck with Windows thanks to Oculus not giving a crap about Linux support. I'm not saying buying an Oculus VR headset was a mistake, but I am saying I'll irrepairably destroy it as soon as losing VR access won't hurt me anymore (Linux support not the primary concern).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Ältester der Motten; September 01, 2021 at 06:07 PM.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-10 15-59-39.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	365537

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Nice rendering in that game, Hobbes. I love what they did with the color palette.

Indefinitely Banned

Icon6 Re: Show me your Desktop!

I’ll post the outside of it later but here’s the inside of it. I got this during the summer of 2018, 1080ti and 32gig of RAM.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

It could only be a little bit simpler.

Blog Entries

I am an auditorily and linguistically oriented person, and I can very rarely enjoy music with lyrics while I work. I know that some people can even listen to various kinds of aggressive, fast-paced rap music while concentrating on technical problem solving or coding. To me that is a disaster. Not only can I not ignore what is being said, but all kinds of microstimuli like the peculiarities of a given artist's pronunciation are constantly registered in my brain as supposedly meaningful things, which continuously distracts me from my work. So it has to be instrumental, classical, or something along those lines.
    Can't believe I just now saw this reply.

Yeah that's exactly how I am as well. I can't listen to music while reading or studying or else I get distracted by whats going on in the music. I also have a hard time having game music on when I game with people in voice chat, it's weird. I play most games with the music off.

As a curiosity, I once talked with a hearing person who was a behavioral scientist also working as sign language interpreter, and he told me that people born deaf often make sure that they do not wear clothing, shirts particularly, that are too colorful or filled with patterns. Having grown up with their auditory cortex more or less defunct and visual cortex overdeveloped makes them feel that a colorful, patterned shirt worn by the other person is "screaming" at them.
    damn that's super relatable...

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

This thread is an absolute goldmine for vintage 2000s desktops. Sadly, most of the links (including mine) have expired, but at least I know I once had a screenshot from Oblivion as my background.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-02 122813.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	367718
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; July 02, 2022 at 05:29 AM.

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Supposed to remind me to keep learning Japanese, but my lazy ass won't do it.

Name:	weebingtime.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	368325

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

linux kde default dektop/wallpaper. fast, simple, beautiful and with all the necessary applications (and many more)