Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome II Praise Thread

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: I confess...I am loving Rome II right now

Quote Originally Posted by saeedonweb View Post
    I have seen the complains people have with Rome II. I have been playing TW games since the days of the first Shogun TW. Pre-ordering the game was a temptation. After the release the reviews and forums held me back. I finally bought the game late last year during the holiday season for $30. I am having fun with it. All the problems people are talking about, I am not getting. Since its working for me, I am very pleased.

I have finished a couple of Roman campaigns. Then started off a Macedon and an Egyptian campaign. I have so far tried Radious and D.E.I. mods, and I am more inclined towards Radious. I was not having fun when I started, cause the AI was beating me. I have played the game before but I mostly auto-resolve my battles. I don't have the willingness of micro-managing the battles. I tried playing on the Normal settings for the Macedon campaign, but then lowered it to Easy. The whole point of the game for me is to have pleasure for a few hours after work.

Just wanted to share this with everyone.

SaeedOnWeb
    If I had seen the game right now, I'd probably agree with you. Or at least, I'd be more forgiving (maybe). But I was beguiled into pre-ordering, and you know how it goes... It was a bad release with tiny or small drops of improvement. In my opinion, that only makes it worse - especialy if you played previous TW games and hold certain standards. I'll never forget the day I loaded it.. The game loads fast, and I'm thinking "they must have done a great job, this thing loads way faster than Shogun 2". I'm watching the intro for the first time, and something ominous starts to build in my stomach... Let's go to custom battle I say. I see the game... It must on low settings! The game must have auto detected. I set it to max perepared for great lagging. Custom battle again. The realization comes crushing down, and I'm like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9TTw1XIXT4.

Well, CA did build up a lot of anticipation for the game. I don't blame you for expecting that. I also want to get the worth of my money and time. Buying late and NOT pre-ordering was a fortunate decision as it turned out. I was also watching gameplay videos on YouTube after the release and the bland unit cards turned me off. Shogun 2 had a very polished look. Rome 2 is rather Spartan in its graphics. My system was recently upgraded so that helped.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    Few men are born brave, many become so through training and force of discipline.

- Vegetius

My name is 99
    And i am loving Rome2 since patch 7

Ca't wait for more DLC

I played a good couple of hours last night and I have to agree. Land Battles (not sieges) are now brilliant fun! I use magnar's mod and watching as pilums are thrown into the advancing enemy, with the enemy trying to outflank me and concentrate forces to break my line it was great fun!

The campaign map is better but still fairly simple and repetitive. Needs political system, family tree and family intrege system, building development needs to be more indepth, I would like more control of trade and resources and I would like some limited control for laws. Things like giving cities citizenship or individual city tax, spending laws.

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

Patch 9 has really turned things around!

Hi I pre ordered the game and have played it since last September. I have seen some gradual improvement but still a long way to go. At the moment I'm playing the "All in one mod". For me the mods have turned this game around and turned quite bland units into things of beauty, it just goes to show what a little hard work and imagination can do.

Rome 2 was the first Total war game I have pre-ordered, normally I wait for year while the bugs and gliches are ironed out and the game is much cheaper. Like others I fell for the hype, I don't know what CA are planning next but in future I will wait till well after release before buying. I would like to see a MED 3. But just recently someone brought out a mod pack of English Knights and these looked superb. Regarding Rome 2 yes starting to enjoy some aspects of it, anyone planning to buy it hang on a few more months, it will be cheaper and other aspects of the game may of been fixed.

I'm having a great campaign as Baktria atm. Playing VH-VH, vanilla battles and vanilla campaign (apart from the increased agent resistance for temples mod). After doing my usual early game Baktria turtle, I took all the territories around the Baktria up to and including Parthia. Then Seleucid declared war on me. They were a large empire and held all the regions from the Mediterranean coast to Parthia. I took a lot of their territory before the rallied and retook about 10 regions. I set my war goal as Pontus (they were allied to the Seleucid) and my only satrapy, Sargarita proceeded to make war on them and free me up to concentrate on the Seleucid and their satrapies, Media and Sardes. With Media destroyed, the Seleucids reduced to 2 regions west of Egypt and Pontus busy with Sargarita, I had about 5 Sardes regions to mop up and 1 Roxolani city to take when the Civil war kicked in. Currently the Baktrian nobles hold about 10 regions around Baktria, I have cleaned up Roxolani and Sardes and have 5 armies back in Baktria consolidating and am in the process of moving more armies home to fight the civil war proper.
    The upshot of this is a campaign that feels like a historical military campaign, large empires to fight, satrapies that follow your orders, gaining territory, losing territory and regaining territory and a Civil war that feels that it could have occurred when it did.
    For those of you that have been burying your game in mods since release, try a vanilla campaign with vanilla battles and you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by von stoker View Post
    I'm having a great campaign as Baktria atm. Playing VH-VH, vanilla battles and vanilla campaign (apart from the increased agent resistance for temples mod). After doing my usual early game Baktria turtle, I took all the territories around the Baktria up to and including Parthia. Then Seleucid declared war on me. They were a large empire and held all the regions from the Mediterranean coast to Parthia. I took a lot of their territory before the rallied and retook about 10 regions. I set my war goal as Pontus (they were allied to the Seleucid) and my only satrapy, Sargarita proceeded to make war on them and free me up to concentrate on the Seleucid and their satrapies, Media and Sardes. With Media destroyed, the Seleucids reduced to 2 regions west of Egypt and Pontus busy with Sargarita, I had about 5 Sardes regions to mop up and 1 Roxolani city to take when the Civil war kicked in. Currently the Baktrian nobles hold about 10 regions around Baktria, I have cleaned up Roxolani and Sardes and have 5 armies back in Baktria consolidating and am in the process of moving more armies home to fight the civil war proper.
    The upshot of this is a campaign that feels like a historical military campaign, large empires to fight, satrapies that follow your orders, gaining territory, losing territory and regaining territory and a Civil war that feels that it could have occurred when it did.
    For those of you that have been burying your game in mods since release, try a vanilla campaign with vanilla battles and you will probably be pleasantly surprised.
    Sounds like a good idea. The unit cards do look horrible without mods though.
    Few men are born brave, many become so through training and force of discipline.

- Vegetius

Ronin's Avatar Biarchus

For those of you that have been burying your game in mods since release, try a vanilla campaign with vanilla battles and you will be absolutely horrified.
    Fixed.

You can't even have a proper siege...

ROME 2 TACTICAL GUIDE:

CTRL + A to select entire army...
    Blob army at gate, ignore walls completely...
    ??? (??? in this case representing retarded AI)...
    Win siege... Every time...

"I am ronin because I serve no master.

The set of principles that denote absolute justice require no
    subordinates.
    I am a warrior of justice."
    ~ Ronin

I keep trying to enjoy it but there are just too many consistent bugs/errors in the game that just turn me off it.

The inability of the game to run down fleeing units is, to be honest, unbelievable. Rome 1 and all it's expansions and M2TW+Kingdoms handled this perfectly compared to Rome 2. Yes, there were times when you had to micro-manage running routers down but that was by far the exception, not the rule. (I know this to be fact since I've been playing them a lot recently) I don't know what CA did or where they went wrong with that aspect of battles in Rome 2, but it's unbearable to watch every unit in every battle kill barely anything and struggle to even keep up as they chase a fleeing unit. Even if they go across the entire battlefield I've not yet seen a unit run down much more than 30 men...out of 100-120. Whether it's the engine or the kill animations, it's just inconceivable to me that Rome 2 handles a fundamental part of the battles so terribly.

The lack of flags and map icons on fleeing units is also something that I just can't wrap my head around. Dropping flags I can see making sense since it represents the enemy just panicking, but I can't for the life of me understand why their unit icon needs to be removed from the map, making it incredibly difficult to find and track down fleeing units once the battle is won and I (foolishly) stick around to mop up the survivors. It just makes no sense, and coupled with the inability to effectively run down routers it means that most units get away practically unscathed since you waste time micro-managing chasing one unit and once they're dead/off the field you waste even more time just trying to locate the remaining enemy units.

The cynic in me thinks that CA removed the map icon and flags to discourage people from sticking around to run down routers since they're aware of how poorly the game handles chasing and killing them.

And while I'm aware that walled sieges are still an issue for this game, I at least expected there to be no problem with minor settlements, but no. The Etruscans attacked Neapolis with an overwhelming army I hadn't noticed and.....stood around doing nothing for 15 minutes. Not kidding. They came into the streets, had a minor clash with a couple of units and then pulled out onto the fringe streets of the village and just sat there, doing nothing. "Exit to Windows."

Chasing routing units is and always has been a fundamental part of battles in TW games, but they've just messed it up so badly in Rome 2 that it's one of the main things that, in the past couple days, has just led to me quitting the game completely. But glad that you, and others, are able to get some real enjoyment out of the game instead of frustration.
    Last edited by Aenima; February 08, 2014 at 05:26 AM.

I really luv patch 9 myself I'm addicted to this game now it's fixed a lot of issues from the past yes siege still needs work but all In all it's amazing now!!!
    My Specs derrty!!!
    Monitor: ASUSV236H 23inch 120hz 3D Monitor
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
    Ram: 12GB
    Hard Drive: 2TB
    Mother Board: EVGA X58 FTW3
    GPU's : 3 NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 570 graphic cards in SLI mode PhysX,Direct 11,3D Vision Enabled.
    my system is a beast...

Nilash's Avatar Libertus

So...is it.... is it safe now? To get out of the closet and admit I enjoy TWRII without being persecuted?

Quote Originally Posted by Nilash View Post
    So...is it.... is it safe now? To get out of the closet and admit I enjoy TWRII without being persecuted?
    Its safe now. You are not alone anymore

- Vegetius

No. You will still be persecuted. Haters gonna hate. (see Ronin above)
    Last edited by von stoker; February 08, 2014 at 05:59 AM.

Why bait...

@ OP: Good on you mate; I tried to engage more with the game and I still quietly hope it can be what I wanted it to be. For the moment I think there is still too little innovation and interesting mechanics in the campaign side of thing for me to really get engrossed in Rome 2. But it is just a matter of expectations. We'll see what the next expansions will bring.

GM207's Avatar Decanus

well maybe ur not having any problems, but many are, and it's not fair to have paid there hard earned money to get frustrated over and over.
    Im still experiencing bad lag on lowest graphical settings, and I have a $3200 dollars PC, just don't say anything you don't know about.
    People are very upset of what poor state the game is in right now.
    Do you know I haven't even finished a single campaign yet, didn't even pass turn 40, cz I lost interest in the game with it's poor diplomacy, battle lag, bad siege, bad UI, stupid AI.
    hope you understand where Im coming from here.
    Last edited by GM207; February 08, 2014 at 06:30 AM.

TheCenturion24's Avatar Semisalis

Safe? SAFE TO ENJOY YET?!

... but seriously, the game has its moments now. It's playable, mostly. I can enjoy parts of it, but yeah, it just hurts so much still what the game started as, what was promised, and what still doesn't work...

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

It's because your expectation are in the dirt.

Ronin's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by GM207 View Post
    well maybe ur not having any problems, but many are, and it's not fair to have paid there hard earned money to get frustrated over and over.
    Im still experiencing bad lag on lowest graphical settings, and I have a $3200 dollars PC, just don't say anything you don't know about.
    People are very upset of what poor state the game is in right now.
    Do you know I haven't even finished a single campaign yet, didn't even pass turn 40, cz I lost interest in the game with it's poor diplomacy, battle lag, bad siege, bad UI, stupid AI.
    hope you understand where Im coming from here.
    Specs?

"I am ronin because I serve no master.

The set of principles that denote absolute justice require no
    subordinates.
    I am a warrior of justice."
    ~ Ronin

Every total war game is good, i hated the buggy glitchy mess Empire was but i still enjoyed it. Rome II is shaped and even starting to shine from all that polish, still it can't make up for some missing features but it plays well.

Multiplayer campaign > Vanilla
    Singleplayer Campaign > Mods
    = Rome 2 Good time!
    Youtube channel
    Twitch channel
    Looking forward to Warhammer Total War