Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome II Praise Thread

babydoc's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The more I see of Rome II.....

I agree.
    And then there is the other group.
    The more they see the stronger the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by ♞Rogue General♞ View Post
    ...the more confident I am that it will be an awesome game.

There's been so much speculation on every tiny aspect of the game, but it looks amazing TBH - everything from the beautiful campaign map, to the new traditions, battle system, unit mass, attention to detail (did you see how the Roman pila visibly destroyed enemy shields? )... just to name a few.

I may just end up pre-ordering the game after all.
    Yesterday's footage was very reassuring.

I agree. These last few days has made me more pumped for this game.

The Great War Mod for NTW!

Italian Swordsmen sounds so stupid.

​Scoodlypooper Numero Uno

I think it's good to step back and consider the kinds of remarkable differences (for the better) Rome 2 is going to present to Rome 1 - showing as well how CA has evolved to give far greater attention to historicity and detail.

In Rome 1 the Hellenistic states were almost entirely sarissa phalanxes or hoplites depicted as slumbering sarissa phalanxes. Thuerophoroi beyond Carthage, Rome, "Heavy peltasts", and the barbarians didn't exist. Every unit with a sword had a gladius. Entirely late bronze age Egypt. The list goes on. Oh yeah, and only 17-20 odd factions, most of which were gross generalizations - given the time of 2003 I guess that's understandable but it's still really limiting.

In Rome 2 we see Thueros Spearmen available as mercenaries anywhere hellenistic mercenaries are. Even better, we see Tarantine cavalry available as well when they are so often ignored. We see distinct Bactrian, Parthian and Persian cavalry rather than just "Persian cavalry" available for the entirety of the Mid-East. We see Arab mercenaries but also Sabaean mercenaries. We see a litany of some +100 factions, many of which even a grognard history buff here would have trouble coming up with. From what we've seen just about every unit shown looks far more authentic than anything in the Rome 1 to Medieval 2 shield and saddle era (yeah there's some niggling exceptions with Egypt).

Expecting this game to be like ambrosia from the gods of Olympus is giving into the hype and anticipation a lot of us have - such lofty ideals are probably going to be dashed but that shouldn't dismiss the fact that Rome 2 is shaping up to be the total war to finally 'best' the shield and saddle ones of Rome and Medieval 2. I think with all the fantastic features being introduced it will be very difficult for a lot of us to return to those two games.

I've played all the Total War games and I think Empire is definitely the Crown Jewel so far. Napoleon added a ton of stuff to the franchise but it just didn't have that epic and operatic feel that Empire had. Shogun 2 was great, the unit diversity got a little stale but I think that could've been countered by some of the things we're seeing in Rome 2 (i.e. traditions) and some additional clan perks. That being said, Rome 2 has me rather excited for lots of reasons- the scope of the game appears to be even more grandiose than Empire, the addition and expansion of faction traits adds a new flavor, new franchise features like traditions and the new tactical map only help with immersion & strategy, and this all paves the way for medieval 3 lol.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Quote Originally Posted by jm650 View Post
    I've played all the Total War games and I think Empire is definitely the Crown Jewel so far. Napoleon added a ton of stuff to the franchise but it just didn't have that epic and operatic feel that Empire had. Shogun 2 was great, the unit diversity got a little stale but I think that could've been countered by some of the things we're seeing in Rome 2 (i.e. traditions) and some additional clan perks. That being said, Rome 2 has me rather excited for lots of reasons- the scope of the game appears to be even more grandiose than Empire, the addition and expansion of faction traits adds a new flavor, new franchise features like traditions and the new tactical map only help with immersion & strategy, and this all paves the way for medieval 3 lol.
    Beware, there are those who will try hunt you down for saying such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

The more I see of Rome II.... Well, actually, after seeing all the screenshots and especially demo videos I cancelled my pre-order, and I'm calling it done with the Total War series.

Originally, Total War games were about 1) strategy 2) fun. This bunch of bollocks that is called Rome II for me is utter . It's so plastic, it's unbelievable (it's starting to look like Civ V, in a bad sense). And it's all about 1) exaggerated graphics 2) DLC's.

I don't care that Rome 1 had purple Parthians and limited options compared to newer titles - the game was FUN to play. Who gives a damn about expressions on soldier's faces? Seriously? And that R2 campaign map? People find that OK to deal with? All that confetti ? Weird unit names? The tasteless UI design?

I own all the TW games and exoansions from RTW to FoTS, so I'm not gonna get bored.. As for Rome II.. THANKS BUT NO THANKS!!!

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Mechanikus View Post
    The more I see of Rome II.... Well, actually, after seeing all the screenshots and especially demo videos I cancelled my pre-order, and I'm calling it done with the Total War series.

Originally, Total War games were about 1) strategy 2) fun. This bunch of bollocks that is called Rome II for me is utter . It's so plastic, it's unbelievable (it's starting to look like Civ V, in a bad sense). And it's all about 1) exaggerated graphics 2) DLC's.

I don't care that Rome 1 had purple Parthians and limited options compared to newer titles - the game was FUN to play. Who gives a damn about expressions on soldier's faces? Seriously? And that R2 campaign map? People find that OK to deal with? All that confetti ? Weird unit names? The tasteless UI design?

I own all the TW games and exoansions from RTW to FoTS, so I'm not gonna get bored.. As for Rome II.. THANKS BUT NO THANKS!!!
    You're decision. I don't see how such trivial things could put you off of a game like this. The game is, by the way, still going to be fun and about strategy. Have you seen the latest playthrough? It looks better than RTW in almost every area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan113112 View Post
    You're decision. I don't see how such trivial things could put you off of a game like this. The game is, by the way, still going to be fun and about strategy. Have you seen the latest playthrough? It looks better than RTW in almost every area.
    I've seen the latest playthrough and it was the main reason I cancelled my preorder. Sorry, but to me that doesn't look fun.

Primicerius

I've seen the latest playthrough and it was the main reason I cancelled my preorder. Sorry, but to me that doesn't look fun.
    What were your concerns? You say the graphics are over the top but the only thing I've seen that's over the top is the occasional confetti and some indicators above units during battle. The UI is a minimalistic approach. I don't see it as tasteless. A love it or hate it type thing I guess.
    Last edited by Dan113112; August 02, 2013 at 06:22 PM.

That just made no sense at all.

​Scoodlypooper Numero Uno

Funny, today I was thinking the exact opposite. It mostly looks nice and I will buy it, but I see many of the same old problems. With modding their is hope.
    Epictetus: former slave and stoic philosopher

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

There's been so much speculation on every tiny aspect of the game, but it looks amazing TBH - everything from the beautiful campaign map, to the new traditions, battle system, unit mass, attention to detail (did you see how the Roman pila visibly destroyed enemy shields? )... just to name a few.

I may just end up pre-ordering the game after all.
    its gonna be garbage

At this point i'm expecting battle-wise, Shogun 2 with more variety. I was hoping for 40 unit stacks. Campaign-wise i'm hoping there's some type of Region based AoR other than Mercs. That would make me happy.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by GRANTO View Post
    its gonna be garbage
    Like all the other TW games without mods, right?

Sabre120's Avatar Tiro

I'm very excited about this game and laughing at the butthurt hardcore historians.

I'm calling it done with the Total War series.
    Why are you still here??

I personally haven't been this excited for a game since I discovered Star Citizen. I think this game is going to be Fantastic, simply superb. Capitalized.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Spartan View Post
    Why are you still here??

I personally haven't been this excited for a game since I discovered Star Citizen. I think this game is going to be Fantastic, simply superb. Capitalized.
    Why is he still here? What a nice way to treat other people. I too am playing only "older" Total War games (up to Empire). Should I leave too? We who find Total War series is getting dumber nowadays are not worthy being on this forum, right?

Quote Originally Posted by tamabald View Post
    Why is he still here? What a nice way to treat other people. I too am playing only "older" Total War games (up to Empire). Should I leave too? We who find Total War series is getting dumber nowadays are not worthy being on this forum, right?
    No you're not if you're just gonna put everyone down and tell them that the game they spent good money on is going to be the worst investment they ever made in their life. If you want to play the older games last time I checked they have their own forums, so you can have fun on the Empire forums and if you have nothing nice to say about Rome II then don't go on these forums and tell us we wasted our money on a game that's not out yet. And then when someone tells you to leave us alone you act as if you are the one being attacked when it's the moaners and whiners and the pessimists who actually are the ones who trigger these nonsense debates knowing it will grind some gears. Don't play that game sir just walk away.