Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome II Praise Thread

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Roman Hastati maintain cohesion, battles aren't over in five seconds, and AI does not seem to be completely rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by T-Duke View Post
    Not excactly. RTW vanilla unit speed was the higher of the whole saga. Shogun II infantry speed was good but the cavalry seem to fly ... I'm very surprised to see RTW II units pace in the recently last videos quite acceptable I would appreciate anyway even more formation cohesion during melee...
    I have been playing RTW and BI vanilla recently. The movement speed was slower but the casualties rate was equal if not higher. The units flee more easily than on S2. Not as if i changed anything since RTW speed is way closer to S2TW than M2TW.

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    I hope next time they use someone else instead of Al to do their gameplay. Someone who can actually play the battle. Al just keeps making mistakes and forgetting units

And he just keeps stuttering the same words again and again, adding 'You know...' in every sentence. "You know..." "No sir, I don't know anything, why keep saying I know" would be my answer if I met him there.

And in overall, his sentences were "You know, it's it's it's...it's a game. You you you know...[enter some sentence explaining a feature] and it's it's it's al alright. You know...the the the [enter name of unit] and and and [enter that unit's description]. They they they are they are....meant to be like this this." Or something like that.

So am not the only one annoyed by his tic. He must be terribly stressed.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; August 01, 2013 at 02:36 PM.

Default Re: Roman Hastati maintain cohesion, battles aren't over in five seconds, and AI does not seem to be completely rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Laids View Post
    I noticed the general had a 'mount' option, hopefully that applies to all cav units. The lighting effects were great too with the lightning flashes.
    I saw in one of the videos that the Equites had it too, so I think we're safe in assuming that all, or at least the majority of cavalry can dismount.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

It will be same as Shogun II - every cavalry unit will have the option to dismount and remount as often as they want.

Hopefully so. Because it was a great feature.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Lets just hope the animation is a bit faster

Hattori's Avatar Citizen

I just noticed, why does the cavalry move at snails pace sometimes? Are they tired?

Under Patronage of MARCVS

Having heaving infantry slugging it out is, simply put, awesome. I think the impetus of having multiple units fighting one, or the shock from a flanking attack seems to matter more than having one good unit fighting another pretty good unit. I think if that's true to form in campaign, it's gonna make a lot of factions interesting to play as like Macedon with their elite cavalry, Sparta with their superb heavy infantry, or the Gauls with their apparent mix of good Gallic cavalry (from the intro) and heavy infantry.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ- come and take them!

Quote Originally Posted by Hattori View Post
    I just noticed, why does the cavalry move at snails pace sometimes? Are they tired?
    Yeah, towards the end of the battle he mentions that his cavalry is exhausted. Not surprising since he made them run everywhere

I do hope they balanced the battle AI for players who are a bit more competent than Al, no offence.
    Really though, the mistakes he made in the IGN video were incredible.

Aside from the silly abilities I about in the other thread though, I do like the look of battles in these vids. I just really wanna see what happens if you crank the unit scale to huge.
    Last edited by Sandraker; August 01, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
    500 - Internal Server Error

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    I have been playing RTW and BI vanilla recently. The movement speed was slower but the casualties rate was equal if not higher. The units flee more easily than on S2. Not as if i changed anything since RTW speed is way closer to S2TW than M2TW.
    The units that fled really easily were fodder type units to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great View Post
    Looks cool, but I'm a little worried.

The Samnites attack in a big 'blob' of infantry, rather than a cohesive line. The only reason they didn't do a ton worse was the sheer incompetence of the player by losing so much of his cavalry to inattention, not setting up his ambush properly, and letting his own units kind of 'blob' rather than sending each individual cohort on its own attack vector. Was also a little annoying how fragile he treated his general - he's heavy cavalry, and should have no trouble smashing through 'levy slingers' chasing him with daggers.
    Well, it was a pretty narrow battlefield. I hope they correct it, though. Kind of reminded me of RTW.
    It will be same as Shogun II - every cavalry unit will have the option to dismount and remount as often as they want.

Hopefully so. Because it was a great feature.
    Agreed.

If you pause when they bring up the horses and look at the advice box it confirms that cavalry all has the special ability to dismount so this is confirmed!! Awesome!! Overall Al is a terrible player haha but still I'm surprised how good the AI is for the PROLOGUE!! Guys that battle is supposed to hold your hand it's the first battle any new player will play and Al couldn't beat it!! Granted he plays like crap but still I'm surprised for a PROLOGUE battle (not a real battle at all) the AI played amazingly, just wait to see what it's like on the real battlefield in the real campaign. Also to answer someone's question why Al didn't use the battlefield traps if you look he didn't have the option I don't think they give this option in the first battle of the prologue because they just want the new player to experience a regular field battle and then get into traps and defenses later. However, in a real battle if your army is attacked in fortified stance you will have access to all the defenses it says, Remember this gameplay is the PROLOGUE not the actual campaign game everything is baby steps you're not gonna see the full blown game in here but for a prologue it's pretty damn sweet
    Last edited by lacrossepl9; August 01, 2013 at 03:55 PM.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I thought AI did a good job there.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Arrow2daknee's Avatar Vicarius

Even though Al is ironically a very bad player, the A.I. seemed good, the only bad thing I saw in the video was the annoying eye things above the units and the large UI. As for battle speed, it looks great, and the unit speed looks good aswell. He should have gotten more closeups, but the killing animations that I did see were great as well.

I thought AI did a good job there.

Not bad yeah. Good move to scout with the skirmishers (love the way of sight system), however, I think the AI should've kept them closer to the main line. A decent commander would've slaughtered them easily with some cav. I really don't know why Al sneaked them through the forest to charge spearmen. Probably just to demonstrate the above feature

This looks like it'll break my computer.

​Scoodlypooper Numero Uno

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Dan113112 View Post
    The units that fled really easily were fodder type units to begin with.
    Then I suppose the whole "barbarian" unit tree was made of canon fodder units. Even then Romans unit from BI flee extremely easily two.

Yeah when Al was afraid to charge his general into the "Mob" unit, I was thinking, "WTF?" I assume those are basically peasants from RTW and the General + heavy cavalry would have routed them in a second. Really weird.

Default Re: ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED ?!!! The "Unofficial "Praise thread?

I'm going into an induced coma for the rest of the month.

Double.
    Last edited by BeastG33; August 01, 2013 at 04:42 PM.

Barkhorn1x's Avatar Biarchus

I pre-ordered as well Old Bean. Just gotta have my Principes crunching into a flank!
    "Après moi le déluge"

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Agreed, the game looks better and better with every bit they show us.