149. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am happy with Rome 2

55 36.91%
  • I am not happy with Rome 2

94 63.09%

Thread: Rome II Complaint Thread

Icon13 Uninspired battles and skating units

Hi there
    I cant tell how disappointed I am by R2TW.
    Just zoom on the battle field, see these ugly units, attacking like badly programmed robots, skating on the battle field while repositioning, it is horrid.
    S2TW was better, even M2TW was better.
    NTW in close combat was better. Maybe they've slighly improved from RTW but thats it, all other TW games after have been better rendered.
    How can they have released a game almost 10 years later with such poor animations and soldier behaviour.
    How do you see it yourself?
    I am really about to uninstall that crap. 5+ patches, even the blood patch didnt make the game better.
    they've lost a customer thats for sure, no way I'm gonna buy R3TW or whatever crap they'll release next.
    Ceci est une signature

Default Re: Uninspired battles and skating units

90 Metacritic score

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Official TW: Rome II Complaint Thread

Merged complaint threads.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Δράκων View Post
    Hi there
    I cant tell how disappointed I am by R2TW.
    Just zoom on the battle field, see these ugly units, attacking like badly programmed robots, skating on the battle field while repositioning, it is horrid. S2TW was better, even M2TW was better. NTW in close combat was better. Maybe they've slighly improved from RTW but thats it, all other TW games after have been better rendered.
    The skating of the units back and forth significantly spoils the combat for me. Its like they are boxers at an ice rink moving back and forth, even the figures at the back of a unit engaging the enemy do it in unison with those in front doing the fighting. Whose idea was this I wonder because it certainly dose not look realistic.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    The skating of the units back and forth significantly spoils the combat for me. Its like they are boxers at an ice rink moving back and forth, even the figures at the back of a unit engaging the enemy do it in unison with those in front doing the fighting. Whose idea was this I wonder because it certainly dose not look realistic.
    Machinima is perfect un veiling those issues in his epic movies.

I saw elephants doing a moonwalk. No joke.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    I saw elephants doing a moonwalk. No joke.
    Lol.

Please link me to that video. I want to make a meme on it.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

that formation turning is annoying as hell.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Lol.

Please link me to that video. I want to make a meme on it.
    I failed to record it. I was "visitor" of a battle from Aggony clan. They did a recording session, but I think they missed the scene.

If I would be more skilled with video editing I would like to make a counter machinima video to show how unepic Rome 2 is actually (not to dishonest his work).
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Phalangite View Post
    90 Metacritic score
    And still: 3.8/10 critic score.
    source: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/to...i/user-reviews
    The guys who actually play the game, I mean us, players, think that R2TW is a mediocre game at best.
    Of course, the "official" reviewers, who dont play the game past the prologue, and/or those who are payed by CA/Sega to say that the game is awesome (TM) think otherwise...

Oh and beside, it's not 90, but 76 metascore, which is ... well... rather crap.
    source: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/total-war-rome-ii

Apologists are strong in every game, but I fear that this time, in the case of R2TW, they'll run pretty fast out of arguments.

The skating of the units back and forth significantly spoils the combat for me.
    There's animated gifs with more frames than the combat animations of R2TW.
    Lowering a spear in R2TW: 2 frames: the spear is up, and paf, the spear is lowered, 2 frames.
    Engaging unit in R2TW: 3 or 4 frames max: contact with the enemy, skating (yes skating!) a bit backward cause it went too far with inerty (showing the back to the enemy at the same time but who cares heh), and then magically flip toward in the enemy in 1 frame, and re-engage.

See below, animated gifs of warriors... most combat animations of R2TW doesnt look that better when you zoom on one unit.

Sounds like I am exagerating? Sadly I'm not, look at one unit in combat in R2TW, it behaves exactly like a 2d sprite, flipping from front to back magically in one unique frame, without turning animation whatsoever, lowring its weapon in one frame, without any kind of weapon animation, attacking with the said weapon in 1 or 2 frames. R2TW has animations of the early 90s.

And it's not because they dont know how to make proper animations! Look at S2TW... damn it's day and night! Fluid, complex, realistic combat animations. They know precisely how to make a proper animation!
    But they served us an unfinished, badly optimized and over hyped piece of turd. They cheated blatantly on us.
    Last edited by Gauloisier de la Gauloiserie; November 03, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Ceci est une signature

I heard you cant change your metacritic user review once you made it.

I think if there was a "reset" of the user reviews and everyone was to note it once more, it would be closer to 5-6 on 10
    The state of the game at release was very disappointing and led many to very bad reviews. Now it is a bit better and while I would note the game average at best, I still think the actual user review critic score is not fair But it is a good measure of how bad CA ed us up, again.

My complain is just the terrible siege AI. It really ruins 50% the fun of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Diglytron View Post
    The only point I can complain about is that just very easy when you got 4 or 5 provinces. Even on hard I am just qonquering to damn fast. And the AI seems to do nothing to stop that.
    What patch are you on? In my game its never easy to capture any city at all. The AI will always move 1 or more stacks to the city i'm about to conquer to defend it. So either a meat grinder or i have to work around.

Anyway, conquer is easy. How to hold them is more of the hard job, since you have limited number of generals. Atfer fast conquering, you have to take care of rebels, religion, and food. So on top of that, it will costs you alot money to establish the new rules on your new lands, before you can continue expanding. Not to mention surround neighbors will become suspicious of the new conqueror.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Δράκων View Post
    There's animated gifs with more frames than the combat animations of R2TW.
    Lowering a spear in R2TW: 2 frames: the spear is up, and paf, the spear is lowered, 2 frames.
    Engaging unit in R2TW: 3 or 4 frames max: contact with the enemy, skating (yes skating!) a bit backward cause it went too far with inerty (showing the back to the enemy at the same time but who cares heh), and then magically flip toward in the enemy in 1 frame, and re-engage.

See below, animated gifs of warriors... most combat animations of R2TW doesnt look that better when you zoom on one unit.

Sounds like I am exagerating? Sadly I'm not, look at one unit in combat in R2TW, it behaves exactly like a 2d sprite, flipping from front to back magically in one unique frame, without turning animation whatsoever, lowring its weapon in one frame, without any kind of weapon animation, attacking with the said weapon in 1 or 2 frames. R2TW has animations of the early 90s.

And it's not because they dont know how to make proper animations! Look at S2TW... damn it's day and night! Fluid, complex, realistic combat animations. They know precisely how to make a proper animation!
    But they served us an unfinished, badly optimized and over hyped piece of turd. They cheated blatantly on us.
    That's exactly what my impression was when I first saw them, the combat animations look like zoomed sprites. This must be something to do with a concentration upon the stop motion animation for RTW2. It's stupid to me spending so much time and money trying to create realistic movements to have animations, that for me are reminiscent of figures in Imperial Glory, which I should add don't skate about the battlefield surface.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post
    I heard you cant change your metacritic user review once you made it.

I think if there was a "reset" of the user reviews and everyone was to note it once more, it would be closer to 5-6 on 10
    The state of the game at release was very disappointing and led many to very bad reviews. Now it is a bit better and while I would note the game average at best, I still think the actual user review critic score is not fair But it is a good measure of how bad CA ed us up, again.
    You can

Well then I guess most are too lazy to change it before the game is much better than what it was at release : at least thats what I feel

The combat animations look like zoomed sprites.

On my comp it doesnt, looks great actually. Thats one good point of the game

What isnt working as intended is the "heart attack" death animation, when you see soldiers going down without anyone hacking their way.

Medina's Avatar Miles

Default This is how a developer fixes bugs:

CA, take example of Dice and EA, they are not only yelling, they are really fixing: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...5217944685108/

Too bad CA is just talking. Nothing more.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: This is how a developer fixes bugs:

I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Default Re: This is how a developer fixes bugs:

Quote Originally Posted by Medina View Post
    CA, take example of Dice and EA, they are not only yelling, they are really fixing: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...5217944685108/

Too bad CA is just talking. Nothing more.
    There's been a few patches since release. They're still working on another major patch. They've kept in communication with players over what's going on. I'm not quite sure how your example is unique. Also, you realise you just praised EA? http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...america-again/

Default SLAVE REVOLTS 2

That should be the name of this game since it is the main event going on. In my game the slave armies out number the faction armies. If slaves were a faction this game would be over in record time.
    Zoot

Default Re: SLAVE REVOLTS 2

I can't say I've ever seen that many slaves. They happen, yes, but that's usually because the CAI isn't too good at managing its public order and they take slaves... which leads to slave revolts.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: SLAVE REVOLTS 2

never had slaves do anything but stand there and wait for me to crucify them