Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2013 - 2014 NCAA Football Season

Default Re: 2013 - 2014 NCAA Football Season

Go Blue

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

I miss the Texas vs Texas A&M game . It was a big deal in my family, since well, we're Texans on one side.

It was better in the 90's when both teams kinda sucked.

Reading the link about the rule changes. Loving the targeting. I guess that means the entire UF defense will get tossed when they play FSU. Dirty .

Ooooooooooooooooooh that ball spike one is horse-. Edit, wait it means basically jack , other than if you come to the line at 3 seconds, you don't get a play??????????????????? Wtf was wrong with the old way?
    Last edited by I WUB PUGS; August 07, 2013 at 11:32 PM.

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

It sounds like the spike ball thing is to just burn time. I can understand the logic behind it, but the entire point of spiking a ball is to burn a down to save time and regroup. It seems unnecessary. I still don't like the helmet rule even if it's better now. These guys can put their helmet on in seconds, there's no point having them sit out a play just because it came off.

Khazrak, how's Michigan looking this year? I don't really follow the B1G at all.
    "Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

Quote Originally Posted by HissingNewt View Post
    Yeah, your OOC schedule is full. I'm sure we would accept being scheduled after you're done with the Wyoming's and New Mexico State's of FBS. I doubt we'd ask you to cancel a contract outright like that with no offer to pay for it or anything.
    Why would Texas cancel a contract with anyone in order to put A&M back on the schedule when they can instead just schedule it for a time when there's already an opening? And hey, maybe you can wait until after the Notre Dames and USCs of FBS too? I'd be okay with that.

Yeah, Ash is decent. He's definitely not a championship level QB, but he's very serviceable. I don't know, it seems like y'all just haven't developed talent very well over the past few years and have instead been relying on the amount of talent you can pull in through recruiting. If y'all got a great QB coach like a Spavital or a Kingsbury in, I think Ash would get a lot better pretty quickly.
    It seems like that because they haven't.

E: Why am I entertaining the paranoid delusion? Deleted response to the nonsense. Texas isn't and didn't force anyone to do anything because they can't, as has been shown. Honestly though, I wish this was an ERMAHGERD SIP conspiracy. Get A&M to move, burn the A&M QB that hates them and cause the guys over on Texags to start outing every star player in the SEC? Yes, please.

I have no idea what he said, but Cowherd is really just a person, so I'm not sure he should be throwing any stones.
    He took a big dump all over A&M for all the fingerpointing and deflecting their fans are doing when they call into his show. They should really stop doing that.

Funny thing about that one is that it's illegal for that guy to even make that video without consent. So basically, he has to either keep it quiet or release it and risk jail time, but definitely get sued in civil court in that case. It's not like he can anonymously release that video. I'm pretty sure Johnny already knows who he is based on when and where they met. So we're back down to the anonymous sources who saw nothing. I really doubt this broker wants to destroy his business to spite Manziel for something.
    It's not that funny. Dude has already been shopping the video around and has already shown it to a major sports news outlet, so he doesn't seem to really be all that worried.

In related news, apparently almost every big name player out there has a ton of memorabilia on eBay. For instance, Clowney had 151 items authenticated in a similar manner, Lattimore had 119, Braxton Miller is out there and so is Teddy Bridgewater. The schools already managed to clear the players (that was quick) but at the very least it should raise questions about how many athletes sign memorabilia like this and whether the NCAA rule that they can't profit off of signatures is right or even enforceable on a consistent basis.

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/08/07...items-on-ebay/
    I don't get this. I don't get why Texags is so intent on trying to bring down anyone and everyone with their guy if it comes down to that.
    And here's eight notable rule changes for the upcoming season:

http://www.footballfoundation.org/Ne...13-season.aspx
    Hmmmm
    Last edited by MadBurgerMaker; August 08, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Quote Originally Posted by Khazrak View Post
    Go Blue
    Beat State!

Patronized by the mighty Heinz Guderian

Quote Originally Posted by MadBurgerMaker View Post
    Why would Texas cancel a contract with anyone in order to put A&M back on the schedule when they can instead just schedule it for a time when there's already an opening? And hey, maybe you can wait until after the Notre Dames and USCs of FBS too? I'd be okay with that.
    They wouldn't cancel a contract. That's actually specifically why I said that we don't expect that to happen unless we offered to pay for it. You did see that part of my post, right?

E: Why am I entertaining the paranoid delusion? Deleted response to the nonsense. Texas isn't and didn't force anyone to do anything because they can't, as has been shown. Honestly though, I wish this was an ERMAHGERD SIP conspiracy. Get A&M to move, burn the A&M QB that hates them and cause the guys over on Texags to start outing every star player in the SEC? Yes, please.
    Calm down bud. All I'm saying is that we left the conference after a massive destabilization of it caused mainly by your athletic department and that our athletic directors should sit down (I guess a call or email would work too) and schedule one of the best rivalries in the nation again. OU and Nebraska are acting like adults and are playing later this decade after their OOC schedules clear up. I see no good reason why we can't do the same except hurt pride.

He took a big dump all over A&M for all the fingerpointing and deflecting their fans are doing when they call into his show. They should really stop doing that.
    He took a big dump over the entire state actually. I looked up the (a?) quote. He called the entire state hypocrites for defending Manziel while saying something about us being a conservative state. Honestly, this guy has a lot of quotes out there, and at least half of them are retarded. The guy is a professional troll. Nobody should be taking him seriously.

It's not that funny. Dude has already been shopping the video around and has already shown it to a major sports news outlet, so he doesn't seem to really be all that worried.
    That's not entirely accurate. He showed it to Joe Schad of ESPN and was offering to sell it. Something happened and they didn't buy it. Then later he said it was no longer for sale, probably because he figured out he'll be criminally liable for it and will almost certainly get sued by the Manziel family regardless of criminal charges. As of now, Joe Schad is still the only one to actually see this video and didn't directly quote it in his article, so I have no idea what Manziel may or may not have said in it. I believe Schad even admitted it wasn't really a smoking gun.

I don't get this. I don't get why Texags is so intent on trying to bring down anyone and everyone with their guy if it comes down to that.
    It's pretty obvious. We don't want our guy to be the only one getting hit for this if everybody is doing it. That's not fair to anyone to choose who to suspend if they've all been breaking a (very stupid) rule, although it would perfectly illustrate why everyone hates the NCAA and their arbitrary enforcement of rules.

Speaking of the NCAA, they've now decided it's inappropriate to sell athlete jerseys and are exiting that business:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...d-online-items

And as a side note, there are some pretty persistent rumors that Drake will be having a concert at Kyle Field the night before the Bama game, probably right before Midnight Yell. That could be a very interesting twist on recruiting.
    Last edited by HissingNewt; August 08, 2013 at 05:49 PM.

FSU Fall Practice Day 1.

The reports are sounding good. Maybe even good enough to inspire belief in the improbable. It all depends on the new D Scheme coming together and Jameis just being as good as EJ..................which isn't that hard.

Edit: Senior WR Willie Haulstead has been declared academically ineligible. Way to go tard.
    Last edited by I WUB PUGS; August 08, 2013 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I WUB PUGS
    FSU Fall Practice Day 1.

The reports are sounding good. Maybe even good enough to inspire belief in the improbable. It all depends on the new D Scheme coming together and Jameis just being as good as EJ..................which isn't that hard.

Edit: Senior WR Willie Haulstead has been declared academically ineligible. Way to go tard.
    Man, I think you guys are harder on EJ than we ever were on Ash. Granted the expectations were higher (nothing for Ash who wasn't ever supposed to play as far as I can tell vs. high for EJ), but damn.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by HissingNewt View Post
    They wouldn't cancel a contract. That's actually specifically why I said that we don't expect that to happen unless we offered to pay for it. You did see that part of my post, right?
    I don't see what A&M paying has to do with anything.

Calm down bud. All I'm saying is that we left the conference after a massive destabilization of it caused mainly by your athletic department and that our athletic directors should sit down (I guess a call or email would work too) and schedule one of the best rivalries in the nation again. ]OU and Nebraska are acting like adults and are playing later this decade after their OOC schedules clear up. I see no good reason why we can't do the same except hurt pride.
    You'll know when I'm not calm.

Anyway, what's in it for Texas? OU and Nebraska get a/another game in prime recruiting ground that is very important to them. It's pretty important for A&M to get another game in the state too, especially one not against UTSA or Texas State. Texas has three conference mates in Texas, plus that one game in Dallas. Why play A&M instead of, say, USC or Cal or UCLA like they're doing? Spend some time out in California instead of College Station. There's also trips to Ohio State and Notre Dame, one game out in Florida, and hey theres Arkansas. Again: What does Texas gain from playing A&M every year?

Also, bow to your burnt orange overlord. We destabilize conferences using nothing but aggy delusions. We're incredible.

He took a big dump over the entire state actually. I looked up the (a?) quote. He called the entire state hypocrites for defending Manziel while saying something about us being a conservative state. Honestly, this guy has a lot of quotes out there, and at least half of them are retarded. The guy is a professional troll. Nobody should be taking him seriously.
    He was pretty specifically dumping on A&M (and actually seemed to reference Texags) when I was listening, so maybe go find that quote instead of whatever you read. I also don't care what he says about the people blindly defending Manziel or the very large number of ing morons who live here and make me want to move somewhere else (except the ing morons are there too, so there's no point). Look at how long these people kept Rick Perry in office, for God's sake, and you know they would vote for him again if he was running. I swear that Corps dumbass was intentionally trying to wreck both major universities in the state.

That's not entirely accurate. He showed it to Joe Schad of ESPN and was offering to sell it. Something happened and they didn't buy it. Then later he said it was no longer for sale, probably because he figured out he'll be criminally liable for it and will almost certainly get sued by the Manziel family regardless of criminal charges. As of now, Joe Schad is still the only one to actually see this video and didn't directly quote it in his article, so I have no idea what Manziel may or may not have said in it. I believe Schad even admitted it wasn't really a smoking gun.
    You best hope not.

It's pretty obvious. We don't want our guy to be the only one getting hit for this if everybody is doing it. That's not fair to anyone to choose who to suspend if they've all been breaking a (very stupid) rule, although it would perfectly illustrate why everyone hates the NCAA and their arbitrary enforcement of rules.
    "But he did it too, dad!" Yeah that's pretty lame, but it figures, considering. I don't think anything will come of this, but if it does, hopefully only your guy will burn for it this time around. I'm all for chaos and mass suspensions, but not when they come from weaksauce butthurt.

Speaking of the NCAA, they've now decided it's inappropriate to sell athlete jerseys and are exiting that business:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...d-online-items
    Good move by them. The NCAA probably wasn't making much of anything off of that anyway and removing it takes away something idiots might point at as something unfair. The NCAA makes their money off of TV contracts, not tshirts.

And as a side note, there are some pretty persistent rumors that Drake will be having a concert at Kyle Field the night before the Bama game, probably right before Midnight Yell. That could be a very interesting twist on recruiting.
    Pretty cool. Gotta deliver now that players are saying it's going to happen though.

Sweatervest for president?!?!

On Wednesday the Akron Beacon-Journal reported that University of Akron president, Luis Proenza, would be stepping down from his position next June. Which is news that currently has you wondering why in the hell Eye On College Football would be writing about it. I mean, it's not the Eye On University Presidents.

Well, there's a reason we bring it up, and it's got nothing to do with Proenza but rather one of the rumored candidates to replace him. When you keep reading the Akron Beacon-Journal's story you find this.

Many rumors suggest that Jim Tressel, the former Ohio State football coach who is UA vice president for strategic engagement, would be named interim president or president when Proenza departs.

“He's probably going to be a candidate, but that's about all we can say at this point,” Pogue said in an interview Monday. “We're not in any rush.”
    And now you know why we bring it up.

Now, Tressel has been working at Akron as the vice president for strategic engagement since February 2012, and he also got his master's degree from the school back in 1977. Still, school presidents are generally the academic types, not the former football coach type. But one of the functions of a school president is to help raise money for the school, and you have to think it wouldn't be all that hard for Jim Tressel to do that in the state of Ohio.

So even if it sounds strange, it could certainly happen.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ident-of-akron
    Last edited by MadBurgerMaker; August 08, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

#1 QB Recruit supposed to be the second coming of Heisman Winner and National Champion Charlie Ward? No, no expectations at all.

At least the new second coming can hit a receiver in stride and knows how to check down.

But EJ is the Bills' problem now.FP!

Brings a tear...
    Last edited by I WUB PUGS; August 08, 2013 at 09:14 PM.

Oh damn it's a Charlie Ward photo. Blast from the past.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I don't see what A&M paying has to do with anything.
    Remember when you mentioned how your OOC schedule was full? I responded by saying we didn't expect cancellations of those contracts unless we did something like offer to pay your buyout. That's how us paying came up.

Anyway, what's in it for Texas? OU and Nebraska get a/another game in prime recruiting ground that is very important to them. It's pretty important for A&M to get another game in the state too, especially one not against UTSA or Texas State. Texas has three conference mates in Texas, plus that one game in Dallas. Why play A&M instead of, say, USC or Cal or UCLA like they're doing? Spend some time out in California instead of College Station. There's also trips to Ohio State and Notre Dame, one game out in Florida, and hey theres Arkansas. Again: What does Texas gain from playing A&M every year?
    Money and the ability to show who the best team in the state is. Our teams recruit against each other every day. A head to head matchup is something to pitch to recruits.

Also, bow to your burnt orange overlord. We destabilize conferences using nothing but aggy delusions. We're incredible.
    No, you destabilized the conference by trying to take six members to another one, causing two members (CU and NU) to bail immediately and us to start communicating with Slive on a more regular basis.

He was pretty specifically dumping on A&M (and actually seemed to reference Texags) when I was listening, so maybe go find that quote instead of whatever you read. I also don't care what he says about the people blindly defending Manziel or the very large number of ing morons who live here and make me want to move somewhere else (except the ing morons are there too, so there's no point). Look at how long these people kept Rick Perry in office, for God's sake, and you know they would vote for him again if he was running. I swear that Corps dumbass was intentionally trying to wreck both major universities in the state.
    I'll take your word for it. Basically anything else is a better use of my time than listening to Colin Cowherd. He did try to wreck both universities. That's why A&M and UT were cooperating some on that. It doesn't help either of us to become degree mills.

You best hope not.
    I forgot to mention that this guy will kill his business if he turns Johnny over. Good luck getting any other athletes to trust you at that point.

"But he did it too, dad!" Yeah that's pretty lame, but it figures, considering. I don't think anything will come of this, but if it does, hopefully only your guy will burn for it this time around. I'm all for chaos and mass suspensions, but not when they come from weaksauce butthurt.
    I think that the fact that most big name players are breaking rules like this show that the rules need to change. At the very least Aggies have shown that it isn't just our guy and that the NCAA needs to either look at all of it or ignore all of it. I really doubt TexAgs will let this just go away if they suspend Johnny.

Good move by them. The NCAA probably wasn't making much of anything off of that anyway and removing it takes away something idiots might point at as something unfair. The NCAA makes their money off of TV contracts, not tshirts.
    I think the majority of NCAA revenue comes from March Madness specifically. According to the revenue breakdown I found they get 1% of revenue from "sales and services."

Pretty cool. Gotta deliver now that players are saying it's going to happen though.
    I wouldn't say we have to deliver, but it would be a let down if we don't. The recruits will eat this up and we've got a ton of them coming in town that weekend.

http://www.kvia.com/news/el-paso-att...1/-/index.html

So apparently the Manziel family lawyer for this NCAA thing has said there isn't actually an investigation or a formal allegation. Other articles like this have made it sound like the NCAA just checked up on the signatures rather than actively investigating. I'm not really sure what's happening at this point.
    Last edited by HissingNewt; August 09, 2013 at 12:25 AM.

YOU PUGS!

Patronized by the mighty Heinz Guderian

Quote Originally Posted by frozenprince View Post
    YOU PUGS!
    Dude will win OROY and burn through the playoffs on his way to a Bills super bowl win and eventual spot in the NFL HoF. The only hiccup in his incredible career will be the time he spent at Florida State.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Quote Originally Posted by MadBurgerMaker View Post
    Dude will win OROY and burn through the playoffs on his way to a Bills super bowl win and eventual spot in the NFL HoF. The only hiccup in his incredible career will be the time he spent at Florida State.
    Odds? Whatever they are, I'm sure I can put a twenty on it and possibly come out a millionaire.

I might have gone too far with the Bills Super Bowl W.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Shazbot's Avatar grant woodgrain grippin

I think its about time we won another Pac-12 championship. There wouldn't be a better way to round out my senior year here.

Double post, please delete.
    Last edited by HissingNewt; August 13, 2013 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot View Post
    I think its about time we won another Pac-12 championship. There wouldn't be a better way to round out my senior year here.
    Didn't y'all win the Pac championship a couple of years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot View Post

See you Thursday November 7th at 6 pm.

For anybody interested here are interviews with Kevin Sumlin and our co-offensive coordinator and QB coach Jake Spavital (formerly of West Virginia):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CeZl...Ph7ABw&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQkQ_...EkJd9p7XPh7ABw

Also, if anybody knows how to work the Youtube embedding here, I'd appreciate an explanation. Maybe it's the fact that it's 4 AM, but I can't figure it out.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast