Thread: Imjin mod (Korea campaign)

Default Re: Imjin mod (Korea campaign)

Is this dead?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    Is this dead?
    Alive

This mod is amazing, I've spent hours on it so far. Thank you for the great work uanime5. Based on my campaign as Joseon, I'd like to note a few points for improvement.

1. It's very strange that the Korean settlements have the terms -mok, -bu or -dohobu after their names. These terms are meant to designate official administrative divisions of the Joseon dynasty; the cities should be just Haeju, Gangneung, Hamhung etc.--just like how Ming settlements are termed Nanjing, Suzhou, etc.

2. The campaign map is excellent, but there a few issues with Korea. Jinju is not on the map. The two sieges of Jinju were key battles during the Imjin conflict; the Japanese advance into southwest Jeolla province-the base of the Joseon navy-was halted after they suffered heavy casualties during the first battle. This defeat prevented the Japanese from resupplying their troops through Jeolla and gave time for the Ming to retake Pyongyang in the north, prompting the Japanese retreat to east Gyeongsang. In this process the Japanese successfully sacked Jinju but by then it held little strategic value to them. I suggest the settlement of Kilju be renamed Jinju.
    Chungju should also be placed on the map. Chungju is located in central Korea on the western side of the mountains and was vital to the advance north to Seoul. The battle of Tangeumdae, where the elite Korean army was shattered by Konishi Yukinaga's vanguard army, took place on the marshes adjacent to Chungju. Perhaps you can replace some less significant settlements like Kimgae with Chungju.

3. I believe the models and unit cards for the regional archers and the Korean archer militia are reversed. The uniformed units should be the regular regional archers.

4. The Korean light units do not have any armor. This is inaccurate. The Portuguese missionary Luis Frois, who was present in Japan during the period, recorded that Korean troops wore hard leather armor and wore European-like iron helmets. He also noted that out of these some wore cast iron or steel armor. Contemporary Korean records also corroborate this. IMO the Korean spearmen should have at least a metal or leather cuirasse.

5. The Japanese should be able to recruit a limited number of Korean units (militia). There are records of sunwae (順倭) fighting for the Japanese during the war. The most famous is Guk Gyeongin, who staged a revolt in Hamgyeong province and turned over two Korean princes to Kato Kiyomasa. Though most sunwae were forced to perform hard labor for the Japanese, some actively participated in battles. Admiral Yi Sunsin also noted their existence in his war diaries.

6. The Korean general unit cards are problematic. I've attached the general portraits that have I been using personally.

7. Is there no way to change the first names of the Korean officers? Jang Mitsutsune is just too funny. Also there are two Yi Il generals for some reason.

8. The higher level Korean troops seem to be a little lacking in quality or are just reskins of Ming units. I'd suggest that you incorporate the Mount and Blade Imjin War mod Korean unit models. Here are some screens:

These are just some suggestions, since I'd like to see this mod get even better. Please let me know if I can help in any way. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow the Helmets of this m and b Mod Looks far better....Do you have a Link to this Mount and Blade Mod ?

Quote Originally Posted by shizzzm View Post
    1. It's very strange that the Korean settlements have the terms -mok, -bu or -dohobu after their names. These terms are meant to designate official administrative divisions of the Joseon dynasty; the cities should be just Haeju, Gangneung, Hamhung etc.--just like how Ming settlements are termed Nanjing, Suzhou, etc.
    The names of the campaign map are the names of the region, not the city.

2. The campaign map is excellent, but there a few issues with Korea. Jinju is not on the map. The two sieges of Jinju were key battles during the Imjin conflict; the Japanese advance into southwest Jeolla province-the base of the Joseon navy-was halted after they suffered heavy casualties during the first battle.
    Jinju is the capital of the Kinju-mok.

Chungju should also be placed on the map. Chungju is located in central Korea on the western side of the mountains and was vital to the advance north to Seoul. The battle of Tangeumdae, where the elite Korean army was shattered by Konishi Yukinaga's vanguard army, took place on the marshes adjacent to Chungju. Perhaps you can replace some less significant settlements like Kimgae with Chungju.
    I did have Chungju but removed it because I needed tor reduce the number of regions and this area had a lot of regions. I may have confused this battle with the of battle of Cheongju, which had a similar name and was nearby.

If I re-add Chungju I'll need to remove one of the nearby regions as it's difficult when there's so many settlements near each other. Is there a nearby city you'd recommend removing?

3. I believe the models and unit cards for the regional archers and the Korean archer militia are reversed. The uniformed units should be the regular regional archers.
    The models and images are correct. The regional units are wearing paper armour, the militia are wearing cotton armour.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

4. The Korean light units do not have any armor. This is inaccurate. The Portuguese missionary Luis Frois, who was present in Japan during the period, recorded that Korean troops wore hard leather armor and wore European-like iron helmets. He also noted that out of these some wore cast iron or steel armor. Contemporary Korean records also corroborate this. IMO the Korean spearmen should have at least a metal or leather cuirasse.
    The regional units have metal armour and helmets. Is the black armour the Korean units are depicted wearing meant to be leather as I thought it was made of cotton?

Also do you have any images of what the leather and steel armour looked like?

5. The Japanese should be able to recruit a limited number of Korean units (militia). There are records of sunwae (順倭) fighting for the Japanese during the war. The most famous is Guk Gyeongin, who staged a revolt in Hamgyeong province and turned over two Korean princes to Kato Kiyomasa. Though most sunwae were forced to perform hard labor for the Japanese, some actively participated in battles. Admiral Yi Sunsin also noted their existence in his war diaries.
    Think of the militia that defend settlements as the sunwae. I don't want the Japanese to be able to recruit Korean milita because if the player can recruit an army in Korea then they won't need to transport as many units to Japan, negating the advantage the Korean navy provides.

6. The Korean general unit cards are problematic. I've attached the general portraits that have I been using personally.
    Thanks I'll have to check them out.

7. Is there no way to change the first names of the Korean officers? Jang Mitsutsune is just too funny. Also there are two Yi Il generals for some reason.
    The first names are randomly chosen from a list of names. Are there any you would recommend removing?

When I changed the time period from 1545 to 1582 I needed to update all the generals. There were some duplicate generals but I can easily rename them.

8. The higher level Korean troops seem to be a little lacking in quality or are just reskins of Ming units. I'd suggest that you incorporate the Mount and Blade Imjin War mod Korean unit models.
    The reason for this is a combination of the Korean and Ming units looking similar, and a lack of information regarding how these high level units looked.

Also which mod are these units from?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jinju.jpg   22 Jurchen's invade illust.jpg  
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

Thanks for the reply. I see your point about Japanese recruitment in Korea and the issue with the first names.

1. I do realize that the province names are regions, but in that case the Chinese provinces should have -cheng, -bu or -du next to them for reasons of parity. IMO removing the terms altogether for the Korean provinces is the better option. We don't put the term "province" after the names of each region in English, so putting -mok, -bu, -hyeon after every name may be a bit unnecessary.

2. It seemed a little strange to me that the Korean archer militia are clad in the same uniforms as the levy spearmen while the peasant/uibyeong-like regional archers have higher stats. Plus the regional archers don't even have helms.

3. Perhaps you could remove Kimgae or Yeonwan and replace it with Chungju, as these are settlements of lesser importance. The march north to Seoul should be made impossible without the capture of Chungju.

4. The M&B mod Korean spearman in the image I put up earlier wears a cast iron cuirass. It's called the hyoong-gap and was worn on top of regular clothing. This site has a picture: http://blog.gorekun.com/?p=972

5. I've attached an updated version of the Korean general portraits along with the info portraits and those of King Seonjo. These images were taken from here: http://blog.naver.com/forebs/130107991624.

6. There is a Lee Il and a Yi Il. These are the same person. Perhaps you could add Song Sangheon (commander of Dongnae fortress), Kim Dukryeong, Go Gyeongmyeong or Yi Jeongam (all prominent uibyeong leaders).

7. The images I've uploaded are from the Mount and Blade Warband Imjin War mod, which was recently released in the W&B Korean forums (http://cafe.naver.com/warband). Accessibility is limited without a Korean Naver account. I can help you ask permission from the creators in using their unit models if necessary.
    The mod has especially great samples of the steel armor (worn by the far right soldier on the latter image) that were excavated from the site of the seige of Dongnae. Here are some more photos of the mod.

You can also check out Youtube LPs of the mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0c7...hD-eRu&index=1
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by shizzzm View Post
    1. I do realize that the province names are regions, but in that case the Chinese provinces should have -cheng, -bu or -du next to them for reasons of parity. IMO removing the terms altogether for the Korean provinces is the better option. We don't put the term "province" after the names of each region in English, so putting -mok, -bu, -hyeon after every name may be a bit unnecessary.
    2. It seemed a little strange to me that the Korean archer militia are clad in the same uniforms as the levy spearmen while the peasant/uibyeong-like regional archers have higher stats. Plus the regional archers don't even have helms.
    So you're saying that the militia and levy units should have better armour and training than the regional units. Also if the regional units are meant to be worse than the militia why would they wear better armour than the regional units?

3. Perhaps you could remove Kimgae or Yeonwan and replace it with Chungju, as these are settlements of lesser importance. The march north to Seoul should be made impossible without the capture of Chungju.
    As I stated in the previous post having so many small regions so close together causes game play problems. So I can't remove a region from another part of the map without causing problems nearby Chungju.

4. The M&B mod Korean spearman in the image I put up earlier wears a cast iron cuirass. It's called the hyoong-gap and was worn on top of regular clothing. This site has a picture: http://blog.gorekun.com/?p=972
    Are these spearmen the spear militia, regional spearmen, or professional spearmen?

5. I've attached an updated version of the Korean general portraits along with the info portraits and those of King Seonjo. These images were taken from here: http://blog.naver.com/forebs/130107991624.
    Do you have more images of generals in brigandine? I would like to use the lighter armoured portraits for yangban and spies.

6. There is a Lee Il and a Yi Il. These are the same person. Perhaps you could add Song Sangheon (commander of Dongnae fortress), Kim Dukryeong, Go Gyeongmyeong or Yi Jeongam (all prominent uibyeong leaders).
    Okay I'll try adding one of them.
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

download and extraction went really nice and all but when I tried to open the game using the launcher it said something about a bat exe converter? and when I used the domond it simply opened up regular TW? help plz this looks like a really cool mod. p.s im using mtw2

Quote Originally Posted by jincole123 View Post
    im using mtw2

Quote Originally Posted by jincole123 View Post
    download and extraction went really nice and all but when I tried to open the game using the launcher it said something about a bat exe converter? and when I used the domond it simply opened up regular TW? help plz this looks like a really cool mod. p.s im using mtw2
    You are speaking about the wrong mod. This is Imjin mod for Total War : Shogun 2, you are speaking about Imjin War of Korea mod for Medieval II: Total War. The good thread is overthere: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...h-Ming-Dynasty.

hessia78's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5 View Post

Here you go. There haven't been any major changes.

Artillery
    Korean Cannons
    Korean Fire Projecting Mangonels
    Korean Fire Bomb Throwers
    Korean Hand Mortars

Cavalry
    Korean Bodyguard
    Korean Light Cavalry
    Korean Flail Cavalry
    Korean Lancers
    Korean Sword Cavalry

Elite units
    Korean Kabsa (sword + bow)
    Korean Tiger Hunter (sword)

Korean Elite Musketeers
    Korean Elite Archers
    Korean Elite Infantry

Korean Royal Guards

Light Infantry
    Korean Archer Militia
    Korean Handgunners
    Korean Levy Spearmen

Light Infantry
    Korean Guerillas (bow + sword)
    Korean Musketeers

Monks
    Korean Bow Warrior Monks
    Korean Spear Warrior Monks
    Korean Sword Warrior Monks

Righteous army units
    Korean Righteous Archers
    Korean Righteous Slingers
    Korean Righteous Spearmen

Ships
    Korean Bow Kobaya
    Light Panokseon
    Panokseon
    Heavy Panokseon
    Turtle ship

Trade Ship
    Red Seal Ship

I can add new quotes to this mod but as there's already a large number of quotes they won't appear very often.
    I am disappointed in the lack of a Hwacha