Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rhodes "Rhodos" as a Playable Faction?

MaceHead's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Rhodes "Rhodos" as a Playable Faction?

I hope they change the Rhodos icon. Coins from Rhodes, exported amphora's and artifacts from Rhodes have the Rhodos Rose.

Why is CA using a dragon instead of this flower symbol for Rhodes?

Quote Originally Posted by MaceHead View Post
    I hope they change the Rhodos icon. Coins from Rhodes, exported amphora's and artifacts from Rhodes have the Rhodos Rose.

Why is CA using a dragon instead of this flower symbol for Rhodes?
    Simple. Dragons are more badass then wimpy flowers.

Krupp's Avatar Senator

Dreagon has the jist of it..+rep
    "Over the hills and far away..."

I think that all the Rhodos/Syracuse fanboys who keep asking for it to be DLC aren't really thinking their choice through, I mean, neither of these cities would offer any unique game play experiences. They have absolutely no unique units what so ever, and the units they do have will be the exact same as at least 6 other playable factions (Epirus, Athens, Sparta, Macedonia, Ptolemies/Pontus.) The only unique thing about them is that their on islands, because them having a boost to their navy would not be unique to the factions, as Athens already has this boost (as well as also being a Hellenistic faction with Hellenistic soldiers.)

Tl;dr Rhodos and Syracuse would offer nothing unique to the game as playable factions.

Syracuse would offer a lot for a playable faction - including above average cavalry, a proficiency with siege warfare (particularly in terms of defense), a good navy, and perhaps a mercenary tradition as well. It also offers an interesting challenge of being sat down between two empires - Rome and Carthage - and trying to survive.

Rhodes, I'm not so sure about. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing them as a sort of 'even more naval oriented' Athens...

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great View Post
    Me too. Then a third one with Bosporan Kingdom, Massalia, and Cyrene.
    I'd like this one as the Greek Colonies pack.

First other factions - which add more diversity - like Dacia, Bactria, Seleucids, Iberian tribe, Helvetii,... then we can talk about further greek states. But atm there are enough hellenic choices.

You could argue that Bactria and the Seleucids are more Hellenic factions, but I agree in principal that we need to see some other nations like Dacia, Helvetii, etc. before more Greek 'minors' are explored.

Meh, it is only some island with a fancy statue. I don't mind if it's a DLC later on when CA has had a break to formulate some new ideas to make that faction unique, like a super-navy faction.

I mean so far the average reason goes along the lines of "CMON guys its Rhodes, like!"

I think that, by principal, I'd want every faction playable.

Even if they can't all be as unique as Rome/Sparta/Egypt, I think that there is someone out there (likely multiple someones) with a desire to give every faction on the map a try. For example, what's wrong with giving all of the 'Minor Gallic Barbarian' factions a set of bonuses and special units that they all more or less share, the only differences being starting position, coloring, and the family members? We almost certainly won't be seeing the 'Vivisci' or the 'Pictones' any other way. I'd pay a dollar for this DLC, and it would take virtually no work on CA's part.

The same principal could be applied to Rhodes, or any other minor Greek state. At least make them playable, in more than just a basic, barebones sense, and then if you want to add DLC's for more important factions (Pergamon, Armenia, whatever) then do so.

Quote Originally Posted by GMoon777 View Post

Sad to know if rhodes become a playable faction, we cant navigate its wonderful city... It will not be a siegeable city but who knows?

Rhodes should be with Syracuse, Pergamon...

Foederatus

The people that want these dlcs (note I am one of them) should, to get CA to listen to us, just start a thread called: CA do this and and you can take my money.

No one's stopping you.

Do it and persuade CA to take your money.

bluenose66's Avatar Foederatus

Rhodes should be in

GMoon777's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by LemonySniffit View Post
    I think that all the Rhodos/Syracuse fanboys who keep asking for it to be DLC aren't really thinking their choice through, I mean, neither of these cities would offer any unique game play experiences. They have absolutely no unique units what so ever, and the units they do have will be the exact same as at least 6 other playable factions (Epirus, Athens, Sparta, Macedonia, Ptolemies/Pontus.) The only unique thing about them is that their on islands, because them having a boost to their navy would not be unique to the factions, as Athens already has this boost (as well as also being a Hellenistic faction with Hellenistic soldiers.)

Tl;dr Rhodos and Syracuse would offer nothing unique to the game as playable factions.
    Rhodes had unique ships and units such as the rhodian slingers, they would bring lots of variety in units both naval and land to the greek factions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12