Thread: Playing Instructions - Very Important!

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

Default Playing Instructions - Very Important!

How to activate the script
    The first thing you must do when launching the game, or loading a savegame, is activating the script. To do this, select a city in the strategic map and the advisor will pop up, click on it, then he will ask for you to click on the Show Me Button. Click on this button and the script will be launched. Don't forget to do this when you load a savegame. There is lot scripted in Arthurian: TW, from 4 turns per year to scripted reinforcements for some factions, rebellions or plague.

Unit size
    It is highly recommended to play on the huge unit size to fit our unit layout. Armies in Arthurian: TW often tend to have less men than in other versions of RTW. For example, levies are in unit of 200 men, while elites tend to have less than 40 men.

Unit experience and banners
    Giving more experience to all units allows several interesting things, such as better morale, or projectiles thrown faster. That's why you will see all our units (except bodyguards, but their statistics are adapted) start with one silver chevron (or "4 experience"). It is recommended that you give at least one silver chevron to all your units in custom battles.
    A side effect of this is that units all have those odd little banners with them. Banners can be disabled by editing the preferences.txt file. It can be found in Arthurian Folder/bi/data/preferences
    Search the line SHOW_BANNERS:TRUE and change it to SHOW_BANNERS:FALSE.

Rebel Diplomats and spies
    "Rebels" in Arthurian: TW represent independent factions or emerging powers such as Franks, Laigini or Northern Picts. They are given diplomats and spies, and you will likely be offered some propositions by rebels, such as trade rights or cease fire. Do not be surprised of this state; trade with rebels can bring you good wealth.

Difficulty
    It's also strongly advised to play campaign on Very Hard/Very Hard or at least on Hard. or at least on Hard. This is way better to feel the violent climate of Dark Ages, continous wars, alliances broken, but also our trade system and unit system have been built on this basis.

A good start
    We suggest that the player early on in the game does not spend all their money building, but instead plans which buildings are necessary for each town at the time, and therefore keep money in the bank, for when lean times occur.
    Do not attack Rebel armies for the sake of it, an alliance with the rebels can be beneficial on the battlefield, and just may prove important reinforcements!

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Default Re: Playing Instructions - Very Important!

Hey man, It's Lug

Sorry we've been out of contact for so long. The tester site caused Explorer to crash without fail after a reformating.
    I look forward to reporting bugs and helping with the course of further editions. Based on these instructions I suppose we should play on high advice?
    Also, a quick question, as I've been awaiting release all day.
    Will faction banners be present on the campaign map in this push?

Yes, I did them yesterday , only "captain portraits" are still vanilla stuff but it's not that important ATM.

What number do I put in the preferences to get the "huge" unit size?
    I currently have it at 200. Should it be higher?

In the Video Options section of the in-game menu, set Unit Size to Huge.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

w00t arthur's out.

/downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist
    In the Video Options section of the in-game menu, set Unit Size to Huge.

Antagonist
    I don't seem to have that option in Video options either on the campaign map or in battle. Any ideas what's up there?
    I can however change unit size in the preferences txt file, but that requires a number, and I'm not sure what the proper choice is. (Default is 80, I changed it to 200)

In video options, click custom settings, then you should see the unit size option. If not, I think it should be 160 in your preferences.

Hey I bought the RTW gold Edition few days ago, i dont know to what version it is patched, can anyone tell me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Albo g
    Hey I bought the RTW gold Edition few days ago, i dont know to what version it is patched, can anyone tell me ?
    If you click OPTIONS on the main game menu, it should say the patch number in the upper right corner, like Ver 1.6.

o never noticed that one, thx

Quote Originally Posted by Soggius Chippius
    I don't seem to have that option in Video options either on the campaign map or in battle. Any ideas what's up there?
    I can however change unit size in the preferences txt file, but that requires a number, and I'm not sure what the proper choice is. (Default is 80, I changed it to 200)
    The more advanced video options can only be changed from the Main Menu (ie right after you start the game) and won't be available if you access the menu during a campaign game or battle.

EDIT: Just remembered, you have to click "Enable Advanced Options" to see it as well.

Antagonist
    Last edited by Antagonist; September 07, 2006 at 06:00 AM.
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

playing on Hard/X (or even medium/X) is not that much of a problem with patch 0.62, but for a true challenge, VH/VH is still strongly recommended

however a unit scale other than HUGE will have a severe impact on strategic difficulty. the lower the scale, the easier the game.
    Last edited by swabian; September 19, 2006 at 01:05 AM.

however a unit scale other than HUGE will have a severe impact on strategic difficulty. the lower the scale, the easier the game.
    Could you explain that a little bit, i dont understand why that is.

And just a silly question, but which faction would i pick if i want to play as Arthur and the KNights of the round table?

Arthur: Dyfneint/Dumnonia. Knights of the Round Table... ermm... well, they are not really featured
    As lot of them find their origins through other dark ages kings... such as Peredur of Ebrauc for Perceval, or Urien Rheged... At start date you can also play Gododdin featuring Lot and his son Gwalchmei/Gawain

Onto HUGE scale, our unit layout is done in a way to be more realistic. Elite units got small numbers, levies got 200 men for exemple. Playing in small scale or something like this would completly change the gameplay. It have also an impact on population, kinda low in ATW to avoid AI throwing in your face tons and tons of levies... well, they are lots of other arguments, but if you got a good enough comp, it is strongly recommanded to do so.

hmmm i havnt tried the huge unit option yet, i didnt even think of it, ....................i will try it tonight.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Update for "Raven Feeders"

Some playing instructions:

The mod is designed for difficulty level VH/VH, but it's also very well playable on 'Hard' strategical difficulty and any tactical difficulty level you whish. At last at the beginning, a few factions seemingly can be challenging even on E/M difficulty! However it is very important to keep to HUGE unit scale! This is not only of high importance for the economy and the intended gameplay, it also allows you to field hosts of historical accurate size!

The game engine is designed to pose a real challenge without becoming impossible and frustrating. This mod is rather suitable for more experienced players who especially know how to trick the AI. The difficulty is adjusted in a way so that you can trick and con the AI as you whish, which is sometimes even necessary to survive the first 20 turns. So there is no need of house rules or the like, just be as mean as you can

The financial struggle is very fatal at the start with some factions, which is why your fate as a player is decided allready at the beginning of the game. The factions that are involved in wars at the start need to expand quickly and on gaing land and people your economy will recover in time. There are however some factions with more calm starting conditions, but they will not provide a sedate game for long.

The historical battles are currently faulty and there are certainly some other things that need to be corrected which will be done within the scope of a small patch (071) which will also be included in our full build.

There is also the need of a special comment on the Germanics: At the start, the Anglo-Saxon factions are highly dependant on scripted reinforcements that will arrive in their core provinces! Due to their large fyrds and weak economy they will rapidly get into potentially huge debt, so fierce and utterly aggressive expansion is crucial (the AI get's scripted economy balance), which is just what appears to have happened in history. The Germanic recruitment tree is different as well, as it doesn't provide a linear increment in troop quality. There are even some elite units that can be recruited at very early stages of the game (which reflects the historical process of Germanic expansion on Britain), but the main purpose of garrisons is to refresh the reinforcements from the mainland, so it is necessary to adapt to this circumstance in order to play successfully. Disbanding units of the starting armies is not recommended, meanwhile the reinforcements of lower quality can (and should sometimes) be used as settlers as well. You should use every offensive option you have and even consider attacking your allies! Hells, it's the Dark Ages

Libertus

WHEND I LAUNCH THE GAME THERE IS A ERROR ABOUT TO MOUNT A OLIPHANT OR SOMETHING COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

try a comlete reinstall , make sure the rtw and bi are clean copys and work themselves before even putting a mod in