Thread: New map for MTW/VI

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Icon1 New map for MTW/VI

For the first time I tried to mod MTW and what I maded... First, the gameplay map can be larger but we need to move every city and every border and even re-shape it to match the new map. I believe that the borders are objects with...sprites maybe and the mini map must be changed:

Anyway I designed new campaign map with revamped textures to looks more like a old map:
    I can make different versions if you want but for now I just need to hear your opinion about it.

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: New map for MTW/VI

AWESOME WORK Georgi! I knew that you will become a MTW modder! I felt it in the air!
    I will do everything to help you just give me tools and stuff! I especially support this because I can only play the campaign

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

I forgot to mention that I already maded a map for VI campaign with the same textures as the map above.

Kirila, for the moment Im aiming at the graphic files only (in this case bare tga files). The map is 2 larger tga files located in Textures/campmap. In Textures /campmap/Vikings is for the VI expansion. The LBM files are PROBABLY the provinces which I mentioned above. Tomorrow I will experiment with them a lot. By the way Im sure that textures are stored in the BIF files too and Im curious how to open them. I heard that there are modding tools for MTW.

My main target is: studying how to fix the stupid crashes of the game EVEN in XP! I will compare some stuff from Redux to the original tomorrow and we will see. In the end a little hex editing won't hurt us but it will be painful...

Will there be any kind soul to post this tools here and explain just a little info about them? I will try to research on my own too.

EDIT: Find them but still a comment ot two will be welcome.
    Last edited by GeorgiBG; July 27, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

no time to go and trawl my archive right now,
    try and find LukMapMaker *v3.0 or better)
    (((the org might have a copy if it's not here at TWC.)))

LMM will show you everything you need to know about making new fully working campaign maps,
    (campaign map for shogmod / samurai warlords was made using it)
    NAG ME if you cannot find a copy,

good luck,
    B.

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

I can't find this thing but Im really interested in hacking MTW!

Good to see that somebody do something with map.
    Keep up the good work.
    BTW Do you can add new provinces on the map or it is still impossible?
    "Its a GUNDAM!"
    "Nope. This is Polish Winged Cavalry."

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sarissofoi View Post
    Good to see that somebody do something with map.
    Keep up the good work.
    BTW Do you can add new provinces on the map or it is still impossible?
    Im sure that this is impossible! It's like to have more than 200 provinces in RTW - impossible!
    My dream is to remake the map not only graphically like I did but to expand it and revamp the borders with every city.

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

I was able to change (probably) the borders shape. Im fine with that for the moment but I must search for the right export. Even IrfanView can't help much... A quick search over internet brings me other people's experiments about editing this Lbm files. Looks like opening them it's not hard but the editing. And I can't confirm the game behaviour if I ever made it to save correctly a LBM file.
    Last edited by GeorgiBG; July 28, 2013 at 11:42 PM.

Editing strategy map is a little tricky. I've made a working map for Middle Earth mod one day but I don't exactly remember all the steps. I haven't used the LMM editor but made it all by myself. It's a LOT of work and you have to be SUPER EXTRA careful, especially while editing text files. All I remember is that I made whole map in PS, then opened it in ADSee and save as LBM. ACDSee was the only program I've found that saves LMB files in a form correctly recognized by the game. For editing other parts of the game's graphics you will need dev tools pack and BIFeditor. Check the Org. There are a lot of useful MTW editing guides and tools. If you have troubles finding all the needed stuff or have any other questions let me know. My memory was erased a little but I'll try to help.

IIRC province limit is 107. Additionally you can set around 40 sea regions. I've tried hex editing too but i'm not good at it. I was able to change starting dates of the game's eras and some events like mongol invasion but that's all. Changing exe surely violates copyrights so it wasn't my priority. I've tried it just to check I can make it.

Indefinitely Banned

If I may ask, how are you able to mod this game and what program/programs are you using?

For basic editing text files - Dragon MTW Editor or Gnome editor. Gnome is easier to use but can damage edited files. Dragon has more options but crashes sometimes until you get used to its limits and behavior. Good for general editing like adding big parts of code but for minor tweaks I prefer simple text editor like Notepad++ (text highlighting).

For gfx editing - dev tools pack, readBIF (2.2b - the best version), ACDSee. I've been using Ultimate Paint for some time (LBMs editing and saving) as free PS substitute but it isn't necessary. With dev tools and readBIF probably any image editor will do.

For detailed editing guides check The Org.

EDIT
    LukMapMaker (LMM) mentioned by barocca. I've never made it to work but you can try.
    Last edited by Stazi; July 30, 2013 at 04:33 PM.

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Thanks for posting this things out!
    For the moment like I said Im able to do only simple graphic editing but I will try this programs and hopefully something good could happen.
    Today I will take a look at the .exe file itself.