Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rome Total History (RTH) General Discussion

Default Re: Fantastic new mod Rome Total History RTH_1.1 released

Don't click on the Senate tab. It's been disabled.

Biarchus

Just posting to say my thanks. This is a great mod. Very stable. Lots of new units. More mercenaries. I like what you have done with the factions and the provinces. This is how Rome Vanilla should have been.

1 complaint though. I have noticed 2 very irregular ports. The city east of Capua (can't remember the name, starts with a B) has the port built over near Illyria instead of on the Italian mainland. The other is the North African city of Zama. It is landlocked but you can build a port there and it shows up near the island city of Palma in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Hi Matt, I'm glad you enjoyed the game. I guess the problem with the Senate tab exists in all mods, because afaik the button is hardcoded. Those irregular ports are the island of Pharos and the town of Mago. The region of Samnium (capital Bovianum) has no natural port and so I put one on the island in place of the town of Pharos which was quite important during the war against Demetrius of Pharos. I thought this could be a way to get the Romans involved with the Illyrians, but maybe it doesn't work. The port of Mago (modern Mahon, origin of Mayonaise) on the island of Menorca was founded by Hannibal's brother Mago in 205 BC. The Carthaginians lack cohesion between their possessions and I guess Mago thought that this port could help them. I agree with him and think it will be very useful for their fleet once they build it. This way the Baleares are the only region that has (kind of) two ports. ;-) There are more original solutions in the game, but these two are the most irregular. I think for the Carthaginian or the Roman player it should be a nice surprise to find a port over there. But if you can see any downfall to it let me know.

Biarchus

Now that you explained it, that makes sense. I can understand your reasoning behind it. I found another port of the Selecuids down in the arabian gulf that's not attached directly to their province so I assume that is a colony of importance that you have depicted with a port similar to the other ones.I don't know enough about ancient history as I should.

Yes, that is the island of Tylos, modern Bahrain. Here is some information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylos

One problem in the east is that trade connections at a certain distance won't work. It has been particularly hard to connect India and get the Indian trade working. Tylos allows to export to India but unfortunately no importation. Better half than nothing.
    In Hadramaut I was forced to chose Ubar, because the historic capital Sabbratha wouldn't generate any sea trade at all. Ubar works fine in both directions, but if you put it only one tile south it won't work anymore.
    Saba is another problem case, because the port is only good for importation, but won't get any exportation done, due to the fact that the cities of Meroe and Napata are too far away. One possibility to get it working would be to interrupt the land bridge with Aethiopia, but that would generate some huge sea trade in both direction due to the fact that the two ports are very close and ships pass every five seconds. I'm still reflecting which is the better solution.
    In the Asian steppes the situation was similar, but now everything works fine and you can trade from Davaba to Olbia which is quite a huge distance.
    I don't know why sea trade isn't going that far, but I'm afraid that is hardcoded. It depends on the distance of both the capital and the port. An advanced port (like Tylis) is good for exportation in that direction, but if the respective city is too far behind other exporters will ignore your port and you get no importation.
    It took a lot of testing to find this all out. I remember one test run where I played the Independent Kingdoms trying to get control of the Arabian trade and when I finally succeeded I found that nothing worked. But now the game should be, hopefully, free of similar frustrations.

Regarding Pharos, modern Hvar, it became the first island in Dalmatia to come under Roman rule (in 219 BC).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hvar

So it makes sense to give it to the Romans and let them build a port. Since Bovianum is quite small in the beginning it will take them some time before they reach 2000 inhabitants.

Look out for installment 1.2 ready in a few days.

Here is a glimpse of the new level of accuracy:
    You can watch the Illyrian fleet moving from Rhizon (Cattaro) to Iader and remaining all the time inside the Island Channel.

Many sea lanes are designed to reach just from one port to the next. In this case the Illyrian fleet will also use a protected route inside the channel and it all happens in automatic. Just click on your target and there they go safe and sound.
    But beware: if the enemy learns the trick he might use his knowledge to intercept your fleet. Although I don't think the AI is that smart. But if you play the Romans now you know where to chase the Illyrian pirates.
    Last edited by Philadelphos; September 07, 2013 at 04:02 AM.

This mod will be merged with the Mundus Magnus mod soon. It will still retain the RTH name though. So if you cannot find this thread in the future, check the hosted mods section for Rome Total History.

How to install using Windows 7 and Steam.

1. Download the mod from the link provided in the original post.
    2. Extract the RTH folder to your Rome Total War directory (mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold )
    3. Extract the Rome Total History mod.lnk Shortcut to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold
    4. They will automatically modfolder themselves.
    5. In the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold right click the Rome Total Mod shortcut and select properties
    6. Go to the Shortcut Tab
    7. Copy the end of the Target ( -show_err -mod:RTH )
    8. Go to Steam
    9. Right click Rome: Total War
    10. Select Properties
    11. Set Launch Options...
    12. Paste -show_err -mod:RTH into the entry
    13. You can play Rome: Total War Rome Total History Mod through steam
    14. click the Play button and select play Rome: Total War
    15. Enjoy

Hope this worked for all those out there who couldnt figure it out for themselves.

Thank you thomascreel

The merge is complete, if anyone has any questions, ask here!

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Yes I have. What exactly is RTH? It's merged with MM that's nice but what exactly is merged with MM? Also I see that the forum "Previews versions of MM" still exists. When this project was born and what does it is modfoldered? What are your plans for the future, your main goals?

But you deserve one BIG thank you and well done! RTW is RTW and new mods are a must!
    Last edited by GeorgiBG; October 24, 2013 at 04:43 AM.

Hello GeorgiBG,

RTH is an original mod, started by Philadelphos. It's original focus has been on map accuracy. RTW's map is of course very inaccurate, and so he started the mod. Originally he was using RTRPE's map but Zarax and Suppanut of XC showed him the Mundus Magnus Map which he then converted over to, because of the additions of Ethiopia and Arabia.
    Now if you want full details on RTH, simply go to the first post of this thread, Philadelphos lays out all the details. Plus, there is a playable version ready to be played!

What is merged with MM?
    Mainly the map. It's the same as MM Elite. Also units, I have access to many units here on TWC and also other forums that feature cool looking units.

Our goals?
    Well I cannot speak for him, but for me I want a historical looking mod that also looks good. I'm not one to add a crappy looking unit to the mod just because I have access to it, I look for a similar unit that looks better. Also, I'm not gonna feature a variety of styles when it comes to units. Having units from Milner, webbird, EB, RTR, and XGM combined makes a very un-uniform if that is a word ha. The units that we will look to feature will be similar in style, so expect an overhaul to the current roster. Also balancing, as that is very important. Other than that I see some cool features that would be nice to have but an overhaul of the units along with having balanced troops and battles is my main concern. The map is pretty much done. There will be a few new cities in the next release.

All I can advise is to play!

P.S.

I have not had time to edit this forum yet regarding the previews. I hope to soon to get everyone on the same page.

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Thanks for the answer. Anything related with big maps (in this case MM) I like!

Yes I agree and that is why I am involved

I want to ask everybody to be patient, because the next instalment is underway. And it will have huge news: additional buildings, complete polytheism with lots of different temples, new city designs, better unit rosters for Thrace and Spain, mercenaries recruitable in garrisons, and some historic battles (Thermopylae, Delphi, Acrocorinth, etc.), among others.

I'm looking forward to release it within ten days or maybe two weeks. In the meantime if you have questions or valid suggestions post them here.

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

We are not in hurry. Wow that's sounds sweet! A full refresh of the vanilla game. Also the map borders are looking pretty!

Just one question I forgot about: Can we conquer every city in this map?

Yes, as far as I know there is no terra_incognita region.

Default Re: Rome Total History (RTH) General Discussion

I'm uploading version 1.2.

Upload progress is 94%.

Here is the download link to RTH_1.2:

http://dfiles.eu/files/l3d505hrr

Installation:
    To install the game you need a vanilla version of Rome Total War upgraded to versions 1.3 and 1.5. Unzip the file with Win RAR and move the folder RTH into your Rome Total War folder besides the original Data folder. Do the same with the “Rome Total History mod” launcher and eventually open properties to correct the destination path. Use the launcher to start the game. It's easy.

Enjoy!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast