Thread: Beasties and weirdness thread

Squeaks's Avatar More full of whinging

Default Beasties and weirdness thread

As we're *trying* to get many different types of beasties working...avatars (like Madashiri Jackalweirds, Wyndlin Firs, Iceweirds, Minotaurs, Ley Artillery etc etc), I thought it'd be nice to get this across and test what views you have...SO here begins some of the new ones...

The SELEDIRI have a few bits up their sleeves, but I finally bit the bullet and made their Manticores, which was really pushingit. They are great with attacking leaps and stuff (AlreadyDed's Warg animations), AND they fire ley spikes from their tails. This happens at range and even when engaged in hand to hand combat too!!

A brief and poor glance:

SOme of it's placeholders, like the actual missile models.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Beasties and weirdness thread

ooooh ^^ i am going to enjoy this ...

Quote Originally Posted by knight of meh View Post
    ooooh ^^ i am going to enjoy this ...
    I must say that Ded's attack animations for his wargs are excellent. The Manticore literally throws them up into the air with his head.

There are little issues, but they're easily fixed...I was just pleased to get them in. They will have ley spikes in their tails and all that, missiles will be specially made and the effects of them hitting won't be the same as the Artillery attack - which is shown here.

I know they look weird when compared to your ordinary version; I think fairly carefully about the weirder stuff, and I didn't want a face and wings (that would have been easier in some ways), and the face is a nod to sphinxes I guess. I will work on that; it will have crystal tear drops running from one eye - gems in fact, and a few little things.

I had real trouble with these ages ago...stupid little problems that took more time than worthwhile to fix...

They stand back and roar, throwing people in the air and damaging them before closing.

Thank T&D for the best model bits and Dedward for the anims.

CERBERINES are a Sun King unit.

I'll be back to explain them later.

Wow
    That's awesome!

Namorath's Avatar Libertus

will each faction get an uber monster unit like these beasties?

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Wow
    That's awesome!
    They're quite a lot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by Namorath View Post
    will each faction get an uber monster unit like these beasties?
    Uhm, off the top of my head...weird/stronger/bigger/mythics....also unique/distinct magical units

East Empire - SPur Hawks (big birds), Void knights, Telmior Chariots
    West Empire & Kadasandra - Dragons, Void Knights, Nehemian Sky Bulls
    Lian Elune - Water/Sea Dragons and some weird bits
    Fennweyr - MANY Mythic units and magical humans
    Selediri - Madashiri, Manticore, Ley Artillery, poss COcatrice, Dying Suns
    Sun King - Cerberines, Hippogriffs, Ferakine
    Lindiri - Weirden Trees, poss Ravenshorn, Ley Artillery, various magical units
    Ildiri - Cloud Singers (pegasus), Falcon Knights, Ley Artillery, Avatars of Waters Bound, Swan Riders, Chariots, Moonhawks
    Ratties - Rabian Firethrowers, several massive units, Nestmind Priests (magical), several other 'magical units'; loads actually
    Naugiri - Rune Carapaces, Norns, The Crone, Gargoyles/harpies (male/female goblins), Wyr Howlers (twoversions; one is a massive beast that carries goblins on it's back, shoulders etc), Leyshredder Artillery
    Khezdruli - Lots of weird stuff; all the Gnomes for a start!
    Bandit Kings - keeping that one to myself
    Federation - nothing seemingly weird at first
    Haladin - A LOT of CThonic units, and their own Blood-fed 'mages'
    Ilien - has Celesti and Elohim; probably a blood-red pegasus/unicorn
    Iryn Thaan - leopard mounts, the Yaga Dai (Avatars of the Dead), There are SO many possibilities with these guys it's unreal
    Wolfborn - Wyndlin Firs, poss Bloodkin Squalls, Dolmens, Cairn Witches. The Wolfborn potentially pack a hell of a punch. There are army-breaking units in there.
    Ashapur - Keena Daijinn (flying on magic carpets MUCH cooler than they sound), Sythys Kemini (riding flying snake-things), Serpents of the God Tree (hydra-thing)

That's missing a lot, and a fair few factions, but a good few of the cooler 'Mythics' are human-sized etc. Dancers of the Forest Goat are kind of satyr like, with magic, but they're not a massively impressive unit at first glance. Same with others. Most factions have something big and nasty, and some have a lot of big and nasty. It's not done for the sake of it, so it IS based on pre-defined options. There's an Ashapur unit that can summon sandstorms, BUT I'm probably leaving them out....doing the storm is no problem, but they might just be a little too much.

ANyway, I hope that this has some value along the way.

Just stumbled across this and noticed the bodies and legs are too "blocky" and there are sharp edges on the shoulders, they should be smoothed in milkshape or 3dsmax so it looks organic and rounded. Maybe you did it already or aren't even using my models anymore since this is an old preview, just thought I should bring it up as they would look a lot better smoothed since that is how I modeled them to look.
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 19, 2014 at 06:20 PM.