Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Editing Units

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

Default Re: Editing Units

it should load when you launch from Steam, let me know if you have any issues
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Beantownfan73's Avatar Foederatus

I'm stuck...lol...I can't figure out how to create the beantown.localization.pack. I opened PFM and extracted the local_en.pack to a folder and when i use PFM to view it, there is no pack file...just the three directories text, advisor and font. So, i am lost

open with PFM, click text, you should then see the localisation file, also just check File - change pack type and make sure it is set to Mod
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Quote Originally Posted by ♔hammeredalways♔ View Post
    open with PFM, click text, you should then see the localisation file, also just check File - change pack type and make sure it is set to Mod

I don't get it. I did and added the three i needed to add and now the localisation directory is empty...ughhh

try this one and just rename it
    Attached Files Attached Files

try this one and just rename it
    Sorry that i am an idiot! I downloaded the file and i'll try it now. Rename it in windows or in PFM?

no probs., just rename it in windows

I got it! Loaded up the game and there was my great granddads unit! Thanks so much!

no probs., just rename it in windows
    Thanks again for all your help. I added another unit this evening and it worked! Thanks to your expert guide and files!

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Hi attached are the steps needed to add the unit descriptions into the game via the localisation file, let me know if anything is unclear
    I want to do the same thing as the OP but a little different. You see all I want to is to change the names of an units regiment name and below is an example of what I mean.

In vanilla and in other mods that doesn't edit the regiment names it looks something like this...

Militia Infantry, 1st Militia Infantry

Provincial Cavalry, 1st Regiment of Horse

So how looks this like in-game well it doesn't look good imo, because the Provincial Cavalry, 1st Regiments of Horse looks good until you recruit the actual Regiment of Horse and that unit will have this regiment name in-game.

Provincial Cavalry, 1st Regiment of Horse

Regiment of Horse, 2st Regiment of Horse

As you can see both cavalry units have exactly the same regiment name for completely different units.

If you take a closer look at the stats for each unit it doesn't makes sense why have a militia cavalry unit (I consider the Provincial Cavalry unit to be a militia cavalry and nothing else) with the same regiment name as the Regiment of Horse (I consider the Regiment of Horse to be a regular cavalry that's meant to be for real warfare and not being mixed up with a militia cavalry unit).

Only the Militia Infantry, 1st Militia Infantry have the correct regiment name and both the Provincial Cavalry, the 3-lber Artillery of Horse (I consider this to be a militia artillery) have the wrong regiment name.

There is also the colonial units that I want to change for a few factions too. However I don't have the intention to change the unit stats and only the regiment names.

I know other people would probably disagree with me, but that's okay with me.

That's what I want to change the regiment names plus change a few things too (factions/nations specific unit) that's related to the buildings that allow you recruit these units in-game. How do I do that in DBEditor as a separate mod pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownfan73 View Post
    Thanks! I uninstalled DarthMod for now...I couldn't even load the game this morning, it kept CTD because of my mod and his and some others I had tried before talking to you. I used the mod manager thing to pick and choose which to load but that didn't work. So i am installing a clean copy of ETW. So the localization file will be vanilla - i'll have to create another one right cause you shouldn't edit vanilla? So do i open the vanilla loc and then create a new loc named beantown.loc?
    I don't know if you're aware of this and also I don't know what other mods you're using. Anyway, when you had that CTD have you change anything in DME launcher such as to make Empire DME-ready?

If you have then run the DME launcher and change to make Empire to be DME-ready to make Empire vanilla-ready and I'm using the ETF mod, so about a week ago I change something in the DME launcher. But as soon I try to run ETF in Windows I couldn't even start ETF and after a while I started to think what changes did I make, so I check it by just switching back the make Empire DME-ready to make Empire vanilla-ready and that solve my CTD issue.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Unit descriptions can be found in the localisation pack, you will need the PFM to open, you can either extract and edit in notepad, excel or other and then copy back or edit directly in the PFM (really depends on the amount of edits you wish to make, and how easy it is to locate the entry you wish to change, hence notepad or excel may be easier as you can do a find (search).

If you are running only Vanilla you can locate the localisation pack in your data directory, if you are running a mod it is likely to be pre-fixed with UPC (in the latest Darthmod it is UPC6.3), any changes here are basically cosmetic in game references and should do what you want.

As for the buildings, is it just naming changes or do you want to add certain units to current or additional buildings, if the former then UPC changes should suffice, if the latter then yes create a Mod pack and edit the building_units_allowed table (you should see it in the Mod pack attached in this thread)

Should you get stuck just let me know, if you need the UPC let me know and I will zip and attach one

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Unit descriptions can be found in the localisation pack, you will need the PFM to open, you can either extract and edit in notepad, excel or other and then copy back or edit directly in the PFM (really depends on the amount of edits you wish to make, and how easy it is to locate the entry you wish to change, hence notepad or excel may be easier as you can do a find (search).
    I already have PFM so that wouldn't be to difficult for me to do. Otherwise I'll ask for help if I got stuck.

If you are running only Vanilla you can locate the localisation pack in your data directory, if you are running a mod it is likely to be pre-fixed with UPC (in the latest Darthmod it is UPC6.3), any changes here are basically cosmetic in game references and should do what you want.
    Actually I want to create a mod that can be used for both vanilla or with another mods by placing my 'Better Unit Regiment Names' (while I type my post I realize what the "B.U.R.N." acronyms would be. ) mod in the data folder provided that other mods doesn't change the regiment names in the same way as I did in my 'Better Regiment Names' mod. Of course I don't know if that's feasible or not and if it isn't then let me know.

As for the buildings, is it just naming changes or do you want to add certain units to current or additional buildings, if the former then UPC changes should suffice, if the latter then yes create a Mod pack and edit the building_units_allowed table (you should see it in the Mod pack attached in this thread)

Should you get stuck just let me know, if you need the UPC let me know and I will zip and attach one
    Yes. I do want to add some units into buildings such as Dragoons in into the Governor's Residence (not sure if I got it right but I think you know what I mean), because I think such an unit as Dragoons should allow you to recruit Dragoons since they have the police garrison game effect along with the "Can hide in woods" and the "Good stamina" game effects in the Governor's Residence building.

As for creating a mod pack I think this mod pack is good start for my Montenegro mod I begin to work with after I posted my idea.

I sure will and thanks for your assistance.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

probably the best method is trial and error, also if you take a look through this section try a search for Db editor guides, tools etc. some are outdated but the basics are still applicable. I attach a very basic into guide as well as the DB editor file I use, if you want to something specific please let me know
    My Steam directory isn't in C: so I have looked and tried to understand how to change it but probably not enough. Anyway I feel very stupid to ask how can I change the directory. Thank you!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    So I have to move my steam library or folder game because an editing program in unable to be browsed manualy?

Blog Entries

That was a direct response to your post:
    My Steam directory isn't in C: so I have looked and tried to understand how to change it but probably not enough. Anyway I feel very stupid to ask how can I change the directory. Thank you!
    I haven't worked with this editor and won't be able to give advice on how to enable the correct setting to access the game files. That apart - I have no clue why this thread is labeled [tool] when it is a simple query thread.
    Suggest to try RPFM and post in that thread then with queries.

Hi guys, I'm new to the community. The thing is that I love realism and while I'm no pro modder I know my way around a little bit. What I need to know from you is this: How can I edit the spacing between units in a formation? The spacing between regiments I mean.

Blog Entries

Spacing within a unit is in the unit's entry in the export_descr_units entry, see this explanation:
    Code:
    ; formation     soldier spacing (in metres) side to side, then front to back for close formation
    ;               followed by the same measurements in loose formation.
    ;               followed by the default number of ranks for the unit
    ;               followed by the formations possible for the unit. One or two of
    ;               square, horde, schiltrom, shield_wall, phalanx, testudo, or wedge
    Spacing within a army formation is in the descr_formations_ai file that has similar explanations at the top of the file.

To be able to edit files AND have the game read those edited files you require a mod set up. I suggest you install my Bare Geomod set up and use it to edit your files. The second file is not included in the set up so you will have to unpack files from the game.

Rule #1 of modding: Keep back ups of the files you edit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123