Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ( WIP ) New Ancillaries and Traits ( 05/06 Release of updated work on Dwarven factions )

SuperAnt's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: ( WIP )New submod : realistic ancillaries ( New Preview 06/08 )

Thank you

So ... next preview will be released very soon, it will, as promised, contain the ancillaries of an entire faction.

Currently more than half of the work is done, and I've made nearly 40 ancillaries.

Hey,

Here is the preview of the ancillaries of the High Elves ( in fact, some will be given to the Silvan too ).

Now, the work will be lower as I leave my house, I might be able to write some descriptions and make the modding things when I return. Don't expect new preview in the following days.

Enjoy !

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The ring is a gift to allied factions too

Necklace is a gift too.

The blue thing is an armour, don't why there isn't text, I may have suppressed it accidentally. The effects are + 1 Authority, + 1 Chivalry, + 4 Hitpoints and it's also a gift.

The miruvor can be a gift to allied factions.

Last edited by SuperAnt; August 20, 2013 at 05:22 PM.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Great job!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Second Araval there, extensive and good looking. +rep

On the Dwarven Rings it could be neat if no Mordor generals starst with them but with a script enabling for Dwarves if a few settlements, or just Dol Guldur for example, is captured to get them. Calls for fun RPG for a Dwarven player, as recapturing the three remaining Rings was a constant hope among them.

I had an additional note on Glorfindel's armour. His body (with belongings) was not brought back to Aman and Mandos Halls, only his spirit. He was reborn in Aman* , and when sent back to Middle-earth he wouldn't have had his armour avilable as it sank beneth the sea when Beleriand sank. It would be more proper to describe it as a replica of the original; you may keep the stats though, since skilled Noldor smiths in Aman or in ME, where even Gondolinrim smiths could have crafted it for him once he returned.

*see HoME 10; The Laws and Customs Among the Eldar; Of Re-birth and other Dooms of those that goes to Mandos
    EDIT; and HoME 12; Last Writings; Glorfindel, for lack of arguments for other than normal reincarnation
    Last edited by Ngugi; August 21, 2013 at 03:00 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Thank you for your support

On the Dwarven Rings it could be neat if no Mordor generals starst with them but with a script enabling for Dwarves if a few settlements, or just Dol Guldur for example, is captured to get them. Calls for fun RPG for a Dwarven player, as recapturing the three remaining Rings was a constant hope among them.
    I can't remember exactly the triggers but I can say that only a Dwarven General who ends in Barad-Dûr ( the safest place, the one that Sauron should have chosen I think ) for a certain amount of time can obtain a ring of power and the chance is very low ( under 5, the Ring of the Longbeards is easier to get ).

The system of gifts is also based on the control of key settlements : for instance the pearl cannot be obtained if High Elves don't own Mithlond, and factions allied with the Dwarves cannot get a mithril coat if the Dwarves don't control Khazad-Dûm. The lesser ring of Eregion is harder to obtain as a gift : Eregion must be under the control of the High-Elves and the ancillary "Chief of Gwaith-i-Mirdain" must exist, so the guild must be rebuild. This system offers a new way for the player : either he can conquer for the conquest ( currently it's the way used by most players ), either he can conquer and give back the lands to a specific faction in order to get powerful ancillaries ( to be honest this is the way I play : I don't like to control Moria as Eriador or Silvan Elves, seems weird to me so I generally give it to Dwarves ).

Concerning Glorfindel's armour, I'll take a look this week-end, thanks for reporting Ngugi
    Last edited by SuperAnt; August 21, 2013 at 01:54 PM.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

This is a cool project. You stated this project would only be compatible with FF's mod but, since MOS 1.6 uses FF's map, is there any chance to make it compatible for MOS 1.6?

Sorry for the delay of the answer paradamed,

As many owners of Third Age Toal War play MOS the answer will be yes if Hero of the West asks for. I don't think I will make the compatibility work by myself ( not because my work is disorganized, on the contrary I tried to make it as organized as possible for those who would want to edit the files ).

Concerning the compatibility work with MOS, it should mainly concern some ancillaries' ui to delete/add and some texts files to delete/add too, the triggers should continue to work, except if the names of the factions have changed ( but it's not the case with MOS I Think ).

Nice to hear you are thinking of asking for your mod to be add to mos I think it will make a great addition to an already awesome mod
    "Nothing is True Everything is permitted"

Hey.

First post edited to show new Gondor ancillaries.

I advice you to make a zoom of 50% in order to have a better view of the text, I picked the wrong format it's too small I think.

I would like to thank Arachir for his help, you should rep him greatly

Enjoy.
    Last edited by SuperAnt; October 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Amazing work!

TotalWarJunkie's Avatar Civis

Default Re: ( WIP )New submod : realistic ancillaries ( Gondor Preview 31/10 )

This looks great! Ancillaries are such a great way to increase the immersion factor and RPG-like elements. Good on ya! Can't wait for more. Keep it up!

Thanks for your support.

As most of the " generic" ancillaries have been done, I think that I should have a break with the creation of new ones.

The next step is to make sure new ancillaries are balanced and aesthetic enough, and that scripts are also balanced and working perfectly. That's why I won't work on a new faction immediately, but I will try to improve my system instead, in order to have safe bases to work on.

I will mostly re-work on Isengard to improve the quality of my work on it, as I feel that the work on Gondor was far better than the one on Isengard, especially concerning pictures and effects. Some pictures of the Dwarves and High Elves will be replaced too. The effects of the ancillaries will be balanced : they won't be as powerful as in the screenshots.

Brace yourselves ! Some stuff is coming at last

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Cool!

Default Re: ( WIP )New submod : realistic ancillaries ( New Isengard preview added 05 / 01 )

Ok new Isengard ancillaries have been uploaded 2nd post ).
    READ THE ANNOUNCEMENT before downloading please.

Take a look to the preview to see them (1st post ).

For those who will download it, in the uis files they are uis of ancillaries that aren't yet included so no worry if there aren't in game.
    Last edited by SuperAnt; January 05, 2014 at 09:45 AM.

Default Re: ( WIP )New submod : realistic ancillaries ( Isengard ancillaries released 05/01/14 )

Nice!

So what are your plans for this sub-mod now?
    Are you making it a resource instead?

Also there were some Isengard ancillaries in the old preview that aren't included in this pack, are you going to release them later?

Default Re: ( WIP )New submod : realistic ancillaries ( Isengard ancillaries released 05/01/14 )

Actually I wanted to make my submod compatible with DaC only ( When I test my work I do it on DaC ). But it would be a shame to don't let other modders take advantage of my work so I feel like it's better to let all use it. It's comparable with Firefreak's map, first aimed at DaC but at the disposal of other modders

If I remember correctly many dunlending ancillaries, the alpha wolf and the ring maker are missing. With the release of DaC, and as now many mods separate Isengard from Dunland I didn't think that Isengard should keep dunlending acillaries. But I have them ready for working on Dunland. Alpha wolf has been deleted because if I had keep it there would have been two uis picturing the same wolf ( whereas the wolf rider ui is badass I think :p ). Concerning the ring maker, it seems more lore-accurate to me that Saruman has his ring instead of letting it to Ugluk who's just a mere uruk. I had no inspiration on an another heir-ancillary for Isengard.

DaC has many factions, will you make ancillaries for all of them or you will be following your list?

But there were dunlendings fighting for Saruman too in the book iirc. For example I have Dunland faction in FRoGS but I haven't moved vanilla dunlending units away from Isengard.
    You could have made a new ui with different wolf pic for alpha
    If Saruman is a ring-maker then why couldn't he make a lesser ring for his heir-uruk?

I don't think so. At this point, I lack inspiration for factions like the Vale of Anduin, Enedwaith and the Variags. At least I will do tittles for settlements and some other things but they will have generic ancillaries. For instance Enedwaith should have most of the ancillaries of Dunland. I don't know if you have taken a look to the files but you may have seen that there is a group of "generic ancillaries" for culture and more specific ones for factions. That's why elven factions, dwarven factions, northmen, orc factions, wicked men will have a lot of their ancillaries in common.

The list isn't the only thing i stick to, it's more a list of " key ancillaries". Sometimes I feel like it would be cool to have ancillaries with special effects ( like the raider ) so I just create it.

I don't know if Isengard has kept its dunlending units in DaC so for the moment no dunlending ancillaries. When Dunland will be done I will surely give one of their ancillaries to Isengard ( " dunlending champion " i think ).

Saruman didn't even consider the possibility to die, to loose his power, so he didn't need a heir. He knows that Isengard's power was based on him so there can't be a successor. I don't know why but it is hard for me to imagine a ring of power in the hands of an orc. Sauron didn't give them rings of power though he could have done it. I guess it is perilous for the master to give to his creatures a mean to increase their power, therefore their capacity to resist to their master's will.
    Besides I find that it gives to Saruman more importance for the player, with such ancillaries he is more the key figure of Isengard.

Thanks to Araval I fixed some issues so I have uploaded a new file.

I have also uploaded Isengard's old stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast