Thread: Impossible Irish

Default Impossible Irish

+rep on this mod and everything but you made the Irish impossible... And now with DoB The Men of Lancaster are a freaking joke. My advice? Remove them as a playable faction to stop tempting people and then raping them. You stick the Norwegians the easiest faction on their island and by turn 10 they land a freaking army led by good generals. meanwhile you have disbanded everything and are just starting to gain money on top of constant Norwegian raiding parties. Than that damn army lands and you might as well give up...

Default Re: Impossible Irish

Sorry Men of Leinster.

Maybe I'm not up on my gamer slang, but whenever someone uses "rape" as a casual term associated with a game, it just emphasizes their immaturity. Are you looking for advice on the faction? If so, just ask! Plenty of people have had success playing as both Irish factions.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Lower the campaign difficulty. I have played campaigns as them both on m/m and h/m and both times the same tactics work. You are always going to initially go into debt with the irish so I use all my initial funds to recruit a small but effective army commanded by the king and station them on the hilltops in the county of Dublin. The vikings have a much stronger force but they always attack me even when my position demands they exhaust all their forces before the fight even begins. My archers have nearly 40% of the enemy dead before the reach me and with cavalry attacking the rear of their exhausted forces while my infantry pounds their front they usually rout before long with my forces suffering minimal casualties.

You will have to be extremely patient and pick your battlefields well and especially in their counties on mountaintop areas where you provoke the vikings to attack you or else by ambush. You are extremely outnumbered and with you guaranteed to be in debt you cannot afford to be careless with your troops. You will have to keep up these tactics for about 10-15 ingame years before you finally break the vikings to such an extent that it will be safe to go on the offensive.Once you have taken dublin and teamhair na ri, you should take some of the southern rebel settlements and it is up to you whether or not to finish off the vikings in cork who will undoubtedly be looking for a ceasefire at this stage.Note that Cork can be extremely rebellious as it primarily norse culture, it seems to be harder than dublin to pacify. By now you should be making a profit and preparing for the inevitable war against the ui neill to become High king. The men of leinster are my favourite faction to play so removing them as a playable faction would be a game breaking decision imo. I know there doesn't seem to be any plans in place to further develop this mod but I would love if they made the map of the british isles even bigger and included more regions. I would even like if they could add more irish factions such as Mumhain and connaucht. Removing irish factions just because they are hard would be an awful idea.

Have a look at this thread

They're far from impossible, they merely require you to use a combination of cavalry (your bg cav conveniently causes fear in enemy units), missiles and terrain to win a few heroic victories early on vs large AI armies.

With your starting funs, you should also be able to pick up a mercenary Sons of Death unit ( 2h ap infantry with battle cry that causes fear), which will make the tough, armoured viking units that much easier to crack.

Keep in mind that the recommended difficulty is M/M, and going beyond H/H isn't really going to work.

The Irish are probably the best choice for H battles btw, as they are the least "grinding" of the faction and can generally avoid contests of attrition where the H stat bonus would really hurt other armies.
    Last edited by jackx; August 12, 2013 at 09:44 PM.