Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Seether's Gameplay Notes

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: Seether's Gameplay Notes

Quote Originally Posted by a-woowie.doowie View Post
    Hi! I've got a few questions and some minor suggestions as well.

Questions
    • I've been searching around a lot using the search-engine for some kind of explanation regarding potential and so on. It seems to work differently for generals than it does for admirals. It seems as if when an admirals potential reduces, he's able to gain another command star through increased riverine combat. However I have not noticed any difference in for example 'Leadership', 'Strength' etc. when it comes to my generals. Which makes me wonder if even is a way to improve these traits(that is 'Leadership', 'Acumen' and 'Strength') or if they are firm base stats for a general. Otherwise potential seem to be spent on the ability to command different types of units(cavalry, infantry etc.), for example Chengdu has a building which supposedly improves infantry command. Does a change from let's say 'Basic' to 'Adept' require a potential point?
    • What effect does academies, great schools and imperial college have besides the law bonus as well as the conversion multiplier? Since there doesn't seem to be any vanilla traits and ancillaries, I'm guessing they don't have the same character-evolvement purpose like in vanilla RTW and M2TW.
    • I asked this in another thread, but realised later on that this seem to be the right place to ask this question. Am I, as the Liu clan, depending on the Sun clans survival for the mission series to continue, given that Zhuge Liangs 'Longzhong plan'(spelling?) states that I'm supposed to ally with them. Will eliminating the Sun clan result in consequences for the mission series or am I able to simply wipe them out without any problem?
    Potential, Attributes, etc.: Potential is actually something I am going to rework in the future so that it has a more solid foundation and is more easily accessible. But, yes, improving specific types of attribute levels costs potential... As far as the Strength, Leadership, etc. attributes and the "places of learning," please check out this thread. I have not only reworked them entirely, but also added text to the building so that players know exactly what can be upgraded at each specific building and what the thresholds are... Those buildings you mentioned don't do anything other than the bonus(es) you mentioned. "Training" a character has been moved to the buildings in the link I just provided... I answered in the other thread already but, no, the Sun clan does not actually play any role in the progress of that mission line.

Suggestions
    • Assassins. Honestly I do realise their historical value and that they were a present threat. However I feel that it takes a lot out of the mod with the use of assassins. This mod is generally based around certain characters and their stories/journeys. Playing with these characters is very interesting and for me, who like a degree of role-playing, I try to use them as historically as possible(based on their biography-trait, since I really do not have any real knowledge about this part of the world during this era). Since playing with these characters is what I mostly look forward to when getting new historical characters(through completing the wonderful mission-series made for the Liu clan), I get a real "turn-off" when I see that the characters die through assassinations. I feel so turned off that I, in fact, exit the game the desktop and restart it from my last save the previous turn. This however is a tedious task as well as it is to clean out 4-5 assassins every 3-4 turns. I do recognize that people think differently and some even like the assassination-aspect of the game. I'm not sure which mod, I want to say that it was Call of Warhammer, which used a dialog-screen in the beginning of the campaign which gave the choice whether to enable/disable assassins in the game. Something of the sort should be implemented in the future since not only is the assassination percentage too low for human-player assassins to be of any real impact. I had a 10(14 when calculated) subterfuge assassin, try to target an enemy general only to see that the highest percentage I could find(despite being alone and in the open) was 13% of success. The AI however spams assassins and will from time to time luck out, to my personal frustration.
      So in short: My suggestion is to add said choice to enable/disable assassins.
    • I read somewhere that a person is unable to become allied with a faction despite not being in war with their ally or vice versa. I believe this could be fixed through the use of a script that were used in TATW, where I believe the script worked in a way that it would nullify all relations and diplomatic agreements(including the state of being at war) with eliminated factions, thus removing the problem of "being ally with a dead faction which was at war with a living faction".

I realise that many of my suggestions would take time and asking for permission to use scripts and whatnot, some of them might not even be possible. Other than these and some few minor things this mod feels pretty much complete in comparison to other mods. That this is supposedly a beta-version baffles me to the extent of drooling amazement in the wait for the final product! A wonderful and beautiful mod that gives a great insight to this period and place. If this mod keeps up on this course, the full version will be nothing short of a masterpiece!

I humbly thank you for this mod and I curse you for the hours it will keep me from doing more important stuff!
    /A-Woowie.Doowie
    I agree about assassins, but I need to talk to Gigantus. I think they should be in-game for sabotage, but perhaps the better thing to do would be to limit the number of assassins per faction to 1 instead of banning assassinations. I will also talk to Gig about the script you mentioned.

Thank you very much for your input and suggestions.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Giving the player a choice about assassins is not a problem, it gets slightly more involved restricting the number of assassins, but even that should be possible.

john duca's Avatar Biarchus

Will the economy (infinite stacks) will be tweaked in the next patch?

Blog Entries

We have been trying out various methods and hope to have gotten a grip on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by a-woowie.doowie View Post

• So in short: My suggestion is to add said choice to enable/disable assassins.
    We limited the total of all other agents as well, that will reduce the usual 'agent spams'.

Last edited by Gigantus; March 09, 2014 at 08:14 AM.

Ah, this is good news! Thanks, Gigantus!
    The Persian Empire could raise about 700 soldiers a goat and two chicken
    "This is the time to show my authority."

That's amazing Gigantus. What is the agitator though? Is it supposed to be like an inquisitor?

Blog Entries

It's based on the priest agent - we are using religion as a kind of culture\conviction and the agitator tries to change the conviction to his 'brand'.

good ridance of assassins, i can never assasinate any other gnereals and on turn 5 Zhou Yun of my army got assassinated and pissed me off lol

See, we do listen and give consideration to the suggestions and feedback we receive from you guys

I know you do i just like keeping you on your toes lol

This are great news! +Rep!

When the next patch is released, the enjoyability of the mod will be increased A LOT! Well done!

Also I must say that since the current release is a beta-release, I expected there to be a whole lot more CTDs. I've played over 230 turns, only stumbling across a single CTD, during the campaign map. Luckily my paranoid side(after countless save-corruptions and whatnot playing total-war mods) forces me to save somewhat frequently, which meant the CTD didn't even bother me and I just reloaded and kept on playing for another 90-some turns without another CTD occurring. It's amazing how your beta-release is more stable than many of the supposedly completed and stabilized mods.

(Un)fortunately for my campaign, I now have to face the Cao Cao endless stacks. Wouldn't be a problem if I didn't get the script making me enemies with the southern tribes, I've almost conquered the Xiliang altogether closing up that front. My point being is that by now, any normal mod-campaign is pretty much a walk-through. But despite having conquered almost half of the map, the campaign still provide challenges. That's pretty darn unusual!
    Last edited by a-woowie.doowie; March 15, 2014 at 04:57 AM.

Blog Entries

We aim to please.

This mod is freaking amazing, thank god you guys came around and made it when you did , i was starting to go into ROTK withdrawl since the last good one was ROTK X and now i have this to keep my need filled, thank you all very much

OP Updated:

17 March Update

A new patch, a new set of stuff from me. The first thing I want to talk about is the new units that you will find. Obviously they are a significant change from what we had prior to now. Essentially the core units of each faction have been broken into three tiers: Light, Heavy, and Armored. The Light units represent the standard soldier of a Han/Three Kingdoms era army. The base Light soldier wears a simple leather vest and, in the case of swordsmen and spearmen, a wooden shield. They also have two upgrades, Reinforced Leather Lamellar and Iron Lamellar. Unlike previous to this patch, these units actually have their equipment and armor change when upgraded. The same goes for the next tier, the Heavy Units. Unlike the Light units before them, the Heavy units represent a more professional force of soldiers with extensively crafted arms and armor. From first glance, you can see that not only do they have iron scale cuirasses, but they also have arm and upper-leg protection as well as helmets. These units only have one upgrade, which is from Iron Lamellar to Steel Lamellar. At the steel upgrade you will see that the armor color turns almost black, and the construction of the torso armor changes from scales to plates. Heavy Cavalry upgraded to steel will even have some armor on the top of their thighs. And although I mentioned Armored units, they are not currently in-game at the moment. They probably won't be finished for a few more weeks and we didn't want to delay Patch 8 any longer. The Armored units will be, as you probably guessed, thoroughly armored in Heavy Steel armor from head to toe... well, not toe, more like knees. ThatOtherGuy is currently working on them and, I must say, he is doing some damn fine work. I know you will all love them when they are completed. And the last thing I want to discuss, in regard to units, is the unit cards and UI pics. We are in the process of creating unit cards and UI pics for all of the new units, so the ones you see right now are simply placeholders from the old units that were replaced.

Although there are some minor issues with the script (which is fixed and will be included in a Hotfix in a couple days), if you have played as either the Cao Clan, Sun Clan, Yuan Clan, or Ba-Shu, you may have noticed that their starting characters have been reduced slightly. If you have captured some specific settlements with those factions, you might have also noticed that you will get a character or two that join your faction. If you constantly get a CTD after taking a settlement, as opposed to getting new characters, that is the script issue that will be in the Hotfix. Other changes with factions have been an increase in starting armies which, combined with the reduction of starting characters, will hopefully alleviate the issue of a bunch of generals clumping together into the same stack and all being killed. It will still happen, and there is absolutely no way to change that, but we can lessen how often it happens.

If you haven't given +rep to Gigantus yet, please do so, because he is the mad scientist behind all of the excellent scripting going on. One such script has to do with controlling the Han Emperor, being Imperial Guardian, and Usurpation to become Emperor yourself. As the in-game event states, you need to take Chang An to control the Emperor, thus becoming Imperial Guardian. From there, as you increase the size of your realm, you will eventually be given the opportunity to either support or usurp the Han. Supporting will allow you to become Prime Minister, while Usurping will allow you to become Emperor. Also, even if you don't control the Han Emperor, you can "self declare" yourself King, and later Emperor, by holding a large number of settlements. That is just a general overview of the process, as it is a bit more complex than that, but I hope this gives a little better insight into how it works.

The last thing I'll discuss is some new ancillaries. While in my last update I talked about the new "Governor" ancillaries, there are also "Minister" ancillaries for when your faction leader becomes Emperor. These Ministers include the Grand Master of Ceremonies, Privy Treasurer, Superintendent of the Household, Commandant of Justice, Commandant of the Guards, and Grand Minister of Agriculture. Each has their own unique ancillary, bonuses, and description, as well as unique requirements for acquisition. There was also a general overhaul of the ancillaries that were already in the mod. I went through all of them and was surprised by the amount of incorrect bonuses listed or obsolete (RTW leftover) bonuses for many of the ancillaries. Every ancillary, except for many of the admiral ancillaries, should now have a complete description of just what that ancillary does.

There was a lot more that went into this patch and what I discussed was only a small select portion of it.

Repped you both for this awesome update. Sadly, rep is such a puny thing compared to your great work. It's better than nothing and the EULA forbids offers of sexual favours, which have totally not been offered.
    The afore-mentioned personage has been marked for honorable execution
    in accordance to the lawful tradition and practice of the Morag Tong Guild.
    The Bearer of this non-disputable document has official sanctioned license
    to kill the afore-mentioned personage.

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

One way to reduce stack spam is to increase building times. It looks like the turns to build are essentially the same as vanilla M2TW, which used a 1.5-year-per-turn script. Since this mod uses a different time value for turns, it would be appropriate to increase building times and possibly increase the cost of buildings.

In the same vein, I feel that either the population limits for settlements should be raised considerably, or pop growth bonuses cut. Even with a bad administrator and high taxes I'm seeing population growth of about 7% for my minor cities, and I often can only build 3 or 4 buildings before I need to upgrade the walls. Reducing the explosive growth rates would slow down the rate tax income increases and reduce the money available to spam units.

Increasing the cost and upkeep of build-able units would also work, and is what the Rome: Total Realism - Extended Realism mod did to represent the daily cost of taking men away from the fields both in terms of pay and lost economic potential.
    Non-TW AAR: Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan [HOI3 with HPP mod] - last updated April 16, 2013

Blog Entries

We approached it via reducing the fertility levels of the regions as that is the base all population calculations use. Underneath the current list of stuff to look forward to, it doesn't include a menu rework and adding Germanicu5's ReallyBadAI.

- Added missing text for 'Guardian Prime Minister' event
    - Added 'Geisha coming of Age' event
    - Added missing Personal Goal or FEAT traits to characters in descr_strat
    - Tweaks to the Fealty-Personal Goal triggers
    - Fixed distorted map display for battle editor
    - Added trait triggers for Acumen
    - Reduced fertility levels in descr_regions
    - Adjusted law and order bonuses downward
    - Crash solved for multiple reinforcement spawns (Sun Clan, Yuan Clan, Ba Shu)
    - Duplicated traits and triggers resolved

After these changes I managed to incorporate an animated object as well! The dragons are temporary objects (not part of the background) and might get replaced.

Last edited by Gigantus; April 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM.

no leave the dragons lol , from what i have ceen china has a crap load of dragon artwork everywhear or mabye it could be a tiger on one side and a dragon on the other with a crane with its wings spread on top

Glad to see you guys still working hard at it. Of all the mods I have played, this one feels the most complete and finished- and in an era I love. What more could I want xD True about stack spam though, I have seen crazy large stacks forming...the AI has like no money on the faction rankings and then pumps out 10 full stacks roaming around...strange but I am sure there is a solution.

Blog Entries

Geoffrey did a review of the unit costing - hopefully that will help.