Thread: Chat Thread (Read OP)

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Chat Thread (Read OP)

That's barely a problem here. Most people work well on group projects, there's always exceptions of course.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Professors would often stick me with slavering ingrates in the hope that my sense of duty might rub off on them.

WRONG

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by heil nappy View Post
    The problem with living on the other side of the planet, everytime I'm around, all the major TWC members are sleeping or in their afternoon naps. While I'm typing this, most of you are rolling around in your beds with snow falling just outside your window. Nevertheless, the time zones do help me in WoT. I normally play early while most of the players are sleeping so there aren't too many seasoned players.

I know that feel, man.
    Used to be in Thailand. Those dead hours would just kill me.

~Lyra

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

Quote Originally Posted by Vissewalde rex de Gerzika View Post
    Afternoon naps translate into 5:43 AM?

Do you play on EU or NA? Because there is a SAE and a bunch of other servers near you IIRC.
    I think my location should have given away my server. I do miss the NA server though. More than often, my teammates end up chatting in Thai, Cambodian, Burmese, Japanese or Chinese (Fine, I'll admit it. I'm an illiterate Chinese. ) The only problem I had with NA before the switch is that some players can be kinda rude...American-style.
    “No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
    "No nationality or race is preferred over another in any way in the Eyes of the Almighty" - Mufti Ismail Menk
    “What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality.” ― Alex Sanchez
    “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    I hated group projects in uni.
    Same here. Group work is inherently inefficient in a society consisting of capitalist mindsets. If there is no comradery, if the people barely know each other, they will not do well working in a group. What will usually happen is for one individual to take over the whole thing. That's why I am a huge advocate of old-style teaching, that is, lecturing. When I was teaching this past semester, I never used group work for discussions. Rather, I employ a top-down/bottom-up/top-down approach. What this means is that I lead all discussion, allow those interested in giving their creative input to give their input, and then I reformulate their input (and their mistakes) in order to teach a specific lesson about the material under discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    Same here. Group work is inherently inefficient in a society consisting of capitalist mindsets. If there is no comradery, if the people barely know each other, they will not do well working in a group. What will usually happen is for one individual to take over the whole thing. That's why I am a huge advocate of old-style teaching, that is, lecturing. When I was teaching this past semester, I never used group work for discussions. Rather, I employ a top-down/bottom-up/top-down approach. What this means is that I lead all discussion, allow those interested in giving their creative input to give their input, and then I reformulate their input (and their mistakes) in order to teach a specific lesson about the material under discussion.
    My approach to group projects is "lead, follow or get out of the way." Needless to say I don't like them very much
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    Professors would often stick me with slavering ingrates in the hope that my sense of duty might rub off on them.

WRONG
    Same here, more or less.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

That's an interesting way of teaching, Diamat. The ESL course I'm taking at the moment extolls pair and group work as the best way. But then teaching a language uses different means than teaching other things.

On another note, I always slept happily whenever I got a chance to give Lyra the z's

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Quote Originally Posted by Inkie Pie View Post
    That's an interesting way of teaching, Diamat. The ESL course I'm taking at the moment extolls pair and group work as the best way. But then teaching a language uses different means than teaching other things.
    Indeed, language is a whole different bag of potatoes. The only true way of learning it is to speak it, hence the importance of group communication.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

WRONG
    Are you sure you were being stuck with them because of your sense of duty or the teacher wanting to put all the "slavering ingrates" in one group?

Content Emeritus

LEGIO trembles with rage at such a notion.

Do you not see the ceremonial head-dress?

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Use that as your christmas avatar Chloe. Join me and Ishan in our reindeer-horned adventure.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Content Emeritus

But it's a LEGIO, and I have transcended () into CHLOE.

DO ET

Edit: Damn it, this is like the tenth edit I've done to this post. DAMN YOU CONFUSING CHAT RULES
    Last edited by Ciciro; December 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

For Christmas time at least, put that old avatar on Chloe. Legio avatar would look better than anything else on the internet.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Just slap some antlers on your new avatar. Maybe even an elf hat.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I just usually tell everyone what to do in a group project extremely detailed. Sometimes to the point where I end up rewriting most of what the person wrote or adding massive chunks to that. In other projects that I am not too enthusiastic about I try to find a group leader to lead the way and I just follow, obviously without my very best effort.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by heil nappy View Post
    I think my location should have given away my server. I do miss the NA server though. More than often, my teammates end up chatting in Thai, Cambodian, Burmese, Japanese or Chinese (Fine, I'll admit it. I'm an illiterate Chinese. ) The only problem I had with NA before the switch is that some players can be kinda rude...American-style.
    Yeah, well EU servers are very similar, its full of siemaka, cz/sk and Üdv tomatoes who dont know a word in english. I mean I'm all for using your own language over english as much as possible, but this is an online team game, so they are completely useless to the team + they always have to start talking about something which distracts them from the game further.

Just slap the old avatar back on, its way better and makes you seem serious too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Fair enough about your family values preventing you from drinking, my family values prohibit me from not drinking.

Content Emeritus

Your gentle words and pleasant entreaties have prevailed upon me, my friends. Surely PEITHO has granted you her gifts.

While I distract the hearts of men with this temporary facade, I shall search for a suitable Christmas Chloe.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Your gentle words and pleasant entreaties have prevailed upon me, my friends. Surely PEITHO has granted you her gifts.

While I distract the hearts of men with this temporary facade, I shall search for a suitable Christmas Chloe.
    WOOT! My wish for this month was fulfilled! Thanks, Chloe.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक