Thread: Musket Sub-Mod

Default Musket Sub-Mod

Musket Sub-Mod

Tired of the shoddy Vanilla musket models? No? Well I was, so I've been working on this sub-mod. Here's a peek of whats in store. This sub-mod introduces unique period firearms per unit, no more mixed bag of musket models. Models have been tweaked and skinned to best represent correct period firearms as much as possible.

Model Changes:
    • Butt width corrected.
    • Hammer, pan and frizzen moved to a more accurate location, aligning with barrel.
    • Hammer altered to look like a flintlock, and placed at full cock.
    • Frizzen closed, as it would be when presenting or shouldering arms.
    • Bayonet models reshaped a little.
    • Long rifle and short rifle models, stocked all the way to the end of the barrel.

Texture Changes:
    Individual Textures to represent
    • Long Land Pattern (aka Brown Bess)
    • Model 1717 Charleville (also used as a generic euro-musket for all units not assigned other specific arms)
    • Model 1728 Charleville
    • Model 1766 Charleville / 1795 Springfield
    • 1740 Potzdam Musket
    • 1798 Austrian Musket / 1757 Spanish Infantry Musket

Changes include accurate furniture in brass or iron, butt tang, trigger guards, breech screws, bands or retaining pins, ramrod and ramrod pipes where applicable.

kgb613's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Musket Sub-Mod

It's pretty cool ! Your mod is not available ?

Yeah, looks pretty cool!

Sorry guys,
    My version of this sub-mod was integrated into several other unit packs I'd introduced to the TAR mod. I can make a releasable version, although there's been low feedback here. Since I put this up I've become very involved in the ACW mod. As part of the next release we, well Trig, with my support, have introduced a wide multitude of firearm models. Once the majority of ACW work is done I will turn my attention back to a far improved releasable version of the musket mod.

Here is the ACW firearm lineup for those interested:
    Last edited by pappagoat; November 03, 2013 at 07:47 PM.

denk87's Avatar Foederatus

dang, this would have been so cool. to me its the tiny details in these mods that make them so awesome

Civis

Man what a shame. Ive been looking for years for someone who would replace the old version of the muskets with new ones. If I only new how to make a mod, I would personally make them myself.....

Kooperrider's Avatar Foederatus

Honestly a replacement musket mod is, to me, the last mod that Empire is missing. The vanilla models look like and your work in the ACW mod was fantastic. Even just releasing the DDS files would be awesome.

Below are not so pretty screen shots from MS3D of the models I've made using part from Trig's ACW weapons. The textures aren't always as tidy as the original ones Trig did due to resizing of the models.

Setting the models up for ETW is tricky due to different weapons used at different periods with different length and how that looks with the vanilla bayonets, which you may not want to hard model to the musket as bayonets are a technology to be researched. There are several ways to work around that depending on what you want to achieve. Personally I made these in mind with an interchangeable pack file that would alter the unit models, equipment and weapons for early, mid and late periods... IS mod seems the closest to this with models for different periods in the C18.

In NTW this is less of a problem as only one time period is being represented and everyone had bayonets by then, so hard modeling the bayonets to the musket is the easiest solution.
    The problem I have had with NTW is getting the models into the equipment VPM and getting it working. Looking for help with that.

It takes a bit of research for which units used which firearms, I may add some notes on that.

In ETW you can have 6 different models assigned to one model tag (think euromusket01, 02, 03 models and how in the vanilla game the muskets in one unit look different). This can be useful for assigning a mix of weapons to some units, eg militia or irregulars, civilians etc, or for example British Light infantry in the America Revolution with 1 to 2 1776 Pattern Rifles to 4 or 5 Short Land Pattern Muskets.

There may also be other prominent firearms out there I did not find.

Last edited by pappagoat; November 21, 2017 at 12:29 PM.

These are really great man, seriously. Really hope you decide to release these.

P.S I also assume that in-game the models wouldn't be lefty's like they are in the picture.
    Last edited by Kooperrider; December 14, 2017 at 08:32 PM.

I'm sorry if this was already answered, but what exactly is preventing you from releasing it? Not trying to be pushy, I'm just interested.

someone knows the modification which change the texture of bayonets ???? Beacose bayonets in native ETW ARE UGLY..... imperial destroyer did but i dont like this mod

Still think this mod should be released. If not a complete version, just a simple replacer or something along those lines.

Guess no release

Quote Originally Posted by Kooperrider View Post
    Still think this mod should be released. If not a complete version, just a simple replacer or something along those lines.
    +1

Release it please

After a long time waiting for it, I provide to you the link for the weapon models, here you are:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/81lsx...apons.zip/file

All credits to the development team of American Civil War mod for Empire Total War.

Hi,

I have tried getting this working with vanilla Empire, but no luck. All of the musket models are invisible.

Any idea what is happening? Have you gotten these working on vanilla ETW yourself?

I will make a video, I will post it here when it's done.